PDA

View Full Version : What affect did all the stop & go penalties have on the race outcome?

Chris Fields
09-23-2002, 10:14 AM
In the riders meeting before the endurance race it was made very clear that there would be a stop and go penalty issued for teams riding wheelies down hot pit lane. Given all the lurid wheelies that took place during the event I'm curious to know how all the stop and go penalties imposed by the officials affected the those teams in their final standings?

PS - Some of those wheelies were pretty darned impressive. Not that I'm condoning that type of behavior. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Chris Fields
09-23-2002, 10:14 AM
In the riders meeting before the endurance race it was made very clear that there would be a stop and go penalty issued for teams riding wheelies down hot pit lane. Given all the lurid wheelies that took place during the event I'm curious to know how all the stop and go penalties imposed by the officials affected the those teams in their final standings?

PS - Some of those wheelies were pretty darned impressive. Not that I'm condoning that type of behavior. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Jesse Davis
09-23-2002, 11:02 AM
wow, what is this club coming to? First no ****o on the message board.....and now.....no wheelies down hot pit? Thats hella weak. Guess John John, TG and I will have to practice nac-nac's and standups between turn 6-7 from now on. We should at least wait till someone rolls a wheelie over backwards on hot pit to make such a rule.

JD

Jesse Davis
09-23-2002, 11:02 AM
wow, what is this club coming to? First no ****o on the message board.....and now.....no wheelies down hot pit? Thats hella weak. Guess John John, TG and I will have to practice nac-nac's and standups between turn 6-7 from now on. We should at least wait till someone rolls a wheelie over backwards on hot pit to make such a rule.

JD

Walter Walker
09-23-2002, 11:08 AM
Stop-and-go penalties were for pit stop rules violations not weelies. The penaltie for weelies is much worse. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Walter Walker
09-23-2002, 11:08 AM
Stop-and-go penalties were for pit stop rules violations not weelies. The penaltie for weelies is much worse. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

E. Templet
09-23-2002, 11:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jesse Davis:

JD</div></div>No, we should wait till someone loops it and the bike cartwheels over the wall and crashes into a pit full of people, or into a team refueling, or results in a collision with another rider. The AMA uses speed limits on pit lane and enforces them. Why? Simply safety. Hmmmm...pit seed limits....not a bad idea.

Personally, I'm not worried about John, yourself or Troy or many other great wheelie artists out there, but who's to stop the novice from attempting what you all do so well? There in lies a problem, selective discipline is not an option. Just as important is the professionalism we should all display on the track and in the paddock. Need I add that we are ambassadors of the club and of motorcycling in general? We are. Yes, it's an awesome responsibility, even for us slow guys and can't ride wheelies for.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif The handlebars are in the wrong place!

E. Templet
09-23-2002, 11:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jesse Davis:

JD</div></div>No, we should wait till someone loops it and the bike cartwheels over the wall and crashes into a pit full of people, or into a team refueling, or results in a collision with another rider. The AMA uses speed limits on pit lane and enforces them. Why? Simply safety. Hmmmm...pit seed limits....not a bad idea.

Personally, I'm not worried about John, yourself or Troy or many other great wheelie artists out there, but who's to stop the novice from attempting what you all do so well? There in lies a problem, selective discipline is not an option. Just as important is the professionalism we should all display on the track and in the paddock. Need I add that we are ambassadors of the club and of motorcycling in general? We are. Yes, it's an awesome responsibility, even for us slow guys and can't ride wheelies for.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif The handlebars are in the wrong place!

Chris Fields
09-23-2002, 12:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Walter Walker:
Stop-and-go penalties were for pit stop rules violations not weelies. The penaltie for weelies is much worse. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif </div></div>You're right, it was definately more than just a stop and go. It was enough of a penalty to get my attention. That's why I was so surprised that the threat of penalty enforcement didn't even phase some of the teams. For a while it seemed only white plates were doing them and I thought maybe the penalty didn't apply to them, but later I saw a yellow plate get into the action. Based on the "mad" face at the end of your post I have to assume your team got tagged.

Chris Fields
09-23-2002, 12:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Walter Walker:
Stop-and-go penalties were for pit stop rules violations not weelies. The penaltie for weelies is much worse. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif </div></div>You're right, it was definately more than just a stop and go. It was enough of a penalty to get my attention. That's why I was so surprised that the threat of penalty enforcement didn't even phase some of the teams. For a while it seemed only white plates were doing them and I thought maybe the penalty didn't apply to them, but later I saw a yellow plate get into the action. Based on the "mad" face at the end of your post I have to assume your team got tagged.

Brett
09-23-2002, 12:31 PM
Personally I'm glad the CMRA is stepping up to enforce the wheelie rule. I usually pit on the turn 1 side of pit road and there have been several occasions where I was over the wall and worried I might have to jump to avoid someone losing it on one wheel. Safety should the number 1 priority in the pit area. Kuddos to the CMRA for stepping up the plate here.

Brett

Brett
09-23-2002, 12:31 PM
Personally I'm glad the CMRA is stepping up to enforce the wheelie rule. I usually pit on the turn 1 side of pit road and there have been several occasions where I was over the wall and worried I might have to jump to avoid someone losing it on one wheel. Safety should the number 1 priority in the pit area. Kuddos to the CMRA for stepping up the plate here.

Brett

Eric Kelcher
09-23-2002, 12:48 PM
I guess Walter should have added a little to his post, like title Race Director. He was not racing.

Eric Kelcher
09-23-2002, 12:48 PM
I guess Walter should have added a little to his post, like title Race Director. He was not racing.

ysr612
09-23-2002, 12:54 PM
last year I would have added house of fish to Genes list of people I was not worried about doing wheelies.

ysr612
09-23-2002, 12:54 PM
last year I would have added house of fish to Genes list of people I was not worried about doing wheelies.

Chris Fields
09-23-2002, 01:03 PM
SO, I'm still curious. Were any penalties imposed?

I also felt pretty stupid obeying CMRA's request to stay off the grid once the riders were released for their hot lap. Seemed like I was the only person still behind pit wall for all the restarts. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Chris Fields
09-23-2002, 01:03 PM
SO, I'm still curious. Were any penalties imposed?

I also felt pretty stupid obeying CMRA's request to stay off the grid once the riders were released for their hot lap. Seemed like I was the only person still behind pit wall for all the restarts. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Eric Kelcher
09-23-2002, 01:06 PM
It took having more officials on the grid to stop the hordes of people that came over the wall and for the final restart there were NO pit crew on the grid. And the race started much much faster.

Eric Kelcher
09-23-2002, 01:06 PM
It took having more officials on the grid to stop the hordes of people that came over the wall and for the final restart there were NO pit crew on the grid. And the race started much much faster.

Chris Fields
09-23-2002, 01:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Eric Kelcher:
It took having more officials on the grid to stop the hordes of people that came over the wall and for the final restart there were NO pit crew on the grid. And the race started much much faster.</div></div>Yes, that is one thing I noticed. The more people on the starting grid, the longer it took to get the race started.

Chris Fields
09-23-2002, 01:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Eric Kelcher:
It took having more officials on the grid to stop the hordes of people that came over the wall and for the final restart there were NO pit crew on the grid. And the race started much much faster.</div></div>Yes, that is one thing I noticed. The more people on the starting grid, the longer it took to get the race started.

Chuck Ergle
09-24-2002, 11:01 PM
For future reference, we will black flag for a stop & go penalty ANYONE we catch doing anything more than a power-induced wheel lift out of their pit box (NO four gear stand up one handed leg off entire hot pit grandstanding jacked up wheel stands allowed!). At the TWS-before-last, I think I remember seeing some guy jack one up and almost lose it into somebody else's pit box when he came down with a front wheel slightly turned in. It coulda got ugly. Any jerk can wheelie. Real roadracers are only impressed with your lap times.

As far as umbrella girls/grid marker guys on the grid after the warmup for the endurance go, they're unnecessary and they slow the start of the race WAY down. The rider starting the race should know where his grid is, and he don't need no stinkin' umbrella. Tell your pit crew to cool it and watch the start from the other side of hot pit wall.

Chuck Ergle
09-24-2002, 11:01 PM
For future reference, we will black flag for a stop & go penalty ANYONE we catch doing anything more than a power-induced wheel lift out of their pit box (NO four gear stand up one handed leg off entire hot pit grandstanding jacked up wheel stands allowed!). At the TWS-before-last, I think I remember seeing some guy jack one up and almost lose it into somebody else's pit box when he came down with a front wheel slightly turned in. It coulda got ugly. Any jerk can wheelie. Real roadracers are only impressed with your lap times.

As far as umbrella girls/grid marker guys on the grid after the warmup for the endurance go, they're unnecessary and they slow the start of the race WAY down. The rider starting the race should know where his grid is, and he don't need no stinkin' umbrella. Tell your pit crew to cool it and watch the start from the other side of hot pit wall.

Jonny 748
09-24-2002, 11:53 PM
What's a wheelie?

Jonny 748
09-24-2002, 11:53 PM
What's a wheelie?

Bob.Dietrich
09-25-2002, 12:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As far as umbrella girls/grid marker guys on the grid after the warmup for the endurance go, they're unnecessary and they slow the start of the race WAY down. The rider starting the race should know where his grid is, and he don't need no stinkin' umbrella. Tell your pit crew to cool it and watch the start from the other side of hot pit wall. </div></div>I vote for the umbrella girls on pit lane. It makes the whole race event seem so much more fun. :p

You can see one of our umbrella girls here:

http://www.y2kracing.com/umbrella-girls/pages/IMG_4595.htm

Bob.Dietrich
09-25-2002, 12:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As far as umbrella girls/grid marker guys on the grid after the warmup for the endurance go, they're unnecessary and they slow the start of the race WAY down. The rider starting the race should know where his grid is, and he don't need no stinkin' umbrella. Tell your pit crew to cool it and watch the start from the other side of hot pit wall. </div></div>I vote for the umbrella girls on pit lane. It makes the whole race event seem so much more fun. :p

You can see one of our umbrella girls here:

http://www.y2kracing.com/umbrella-girls/pages/IMG_4595.htm

Jesse Davis
09-25-2002, 12:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chuck Ergle:

As far as umbrella girls/grid marker guys on the grid after the warmup for the endurance go, they're unnecessary and they slow the start of the race WAY down. The rider starting the race should know where his grid is, and he don't need no stinkin' umbrella. Tell your pit crew to cool it and watch the start from the other side of hot pit wall.</div></div>and no more of those super dangerous hand drags either, fun=bad!
everyone must now wear solid white leathers, and can have black or white motorcycles only. in fact only people with blonde hair and blue eyes are allowed to compete.

JD

Jesse Davis
09-25-2002, 12:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chuck Ergle:

As far as umbrella girls/grid marker guys on the grid after the warmup for the endurance go, they're unnecessary and they slow the start of the race WAY down. The rider starting the race should know where his grid is, and he don't need no stinkin' umbrella. Tell your pit crew to cool it and watch the start from the other side of hot pit wall.</div></div>and no more of those super dangerous hand drags either, fun=bad!
everyone must now wear solid white leathers, and can have black or white motorcycles only. in fact only people with blonde hair and blue eyes are allowed to compete.

JD