PDA

View Full Version : From the Paddock - highlights of the weekend

ChuckMcCoy
09-23-2002, 09:34 AM
Suprise (not!) of the weekend:
The CAT Scan machine at Medical Center was unable to see inside Gary Sinclair's skull on normal settings.

Quote of the weekend:
"Hey guys, let's watch that again!" - chief of radiology at Medical Center after viewing 2nd scan of the brain function of Gary Sinclair

Question of the weekend:
"Where did he go?!!!" - annoymous nurse at Medical Center comming to get Gary Sinclair for his 3rd CAT Scan.

Best "Visual" of the weekend:
Gary Sinclair getting out of the family van wearing ONLY a hospital gown, his racing boots (well scuffed) and the monitoring pick-ups from the hospital on his chest and back.

Best moment of the weekend:
Gary Sinclair getting out of the family van.

Best Grand old man of the paddock:
Gary Sinclair.

ChuckMcCoy
09-23-2002, 09:34 AM
Suprise (not!) of the weekend:
The CAT Scan machine at Medical Center was unable to see inside Gary Sinclair's skull on normal settings.

Quote of the weekend:
"Hey guys, let's watch that again!" - chief of radiology at Medical Center after viewing 2nd scan of the brain function of Gary Sinclair

Question of the weekend:
"Where did he go?!!!" - annoymous nurse at Medical Center comming to get Gary Sinclair for his 3rd CAT Scan.

Best "Visual" of the weekend:
Gary Sinclair getting out of the family van wearing ONLY a hospital gown, his racing boots (well scuffed) and the monitoring pick-ups from the hospital on his chest and back.

Best moment of the weekend:
Gary Sinclair getting out of the family van.

Best Grand old man of the paddock:
Gary Sinclair.

SMILEYMAN
09-23-2002, 11:59 AM
I am sure glad things went well for Gary! What a trooper.
I am sure with as many crashes as we had there are some exciting and colorful stories...Anyone want to volunteer? There seemed to be about two crashes per race, so there ought not to be any shortage of tales..
And what about all those who were transported? Does anyone have an update on their condition? Smileyman AKA AIRFENCE MAN... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

SMILEYMAN
09-23-2002, 11:59 AM
I am sure glad things went well for Gary! What a trooper.
I am sure with as many crashes as we had there are some exciting and colorful stories...Anyone want to volunteer? There seemed to be about two crashes per race, so there ought not to be any shortage of tales..
And what about all those who were transported? Does anyone have an update on their condition? Smileyman AKA AIRFENCE MAN... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

fjklemen
09-23-2002, 01:20 PM
Anyone know how James Kimball is doing?
He got off in Turn 7 in the Classic/Heavyweight Amateur race. All I saw from my vantage point about halfway down the back straight is him run off the track and then seeing a cloud of dust and him above it. I stopped by his pit to see if he had made it back, he had not and his wife did not look too happy.
Hope you are doing okay James.

Frank Klementich

fjklemen
09-23-2002, 01:20 PM
Anyone know how James Kimball is doing?
He got off in Turn 7 in the Classic/Heavyweight Amateur race. All I saw from my vantage point about halfway down the back straight is him run off the track and then seeing a cloud of dust and him above it. I stopped by his pit to see if he had made it back, he had not and his wife did not look too happy.
Hope you are doing okay James.

Frank Klementich

kencyr
09-23-2002, 02:53 PM
If James was on the RC51, he glanced off me before taking off though 7. Looked like a bad one.

There was a slower rider in front of me. I setup for in inside pass, but he turned in way before I anticipated, so I went for an outside pass. At that moment I felt an impact to my right foot and saw him go off. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Hard to say but at the closing rate with the slower rider things happened pretty fast.

To be clear, the slower rider was in front of me, and James hit me from behind before going off. Long day, Sunday. Hope he is doing well.

kencyr
09-23-2002, 02:53 PM
If James was on the RC51, he glanced off me before taking off though 7. Looked like a bad one.

There was a slower rider in front of me. I setup for in inside pass, but he turned in way before I anticipated, so I went for an outside pass. At that moment I felt an impact to my right foot and saw him go off. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Hard to say but at the closing rate with the slower rider things happened pretty fast.

To be clear, the slower rider was in front of me, and James hit me from behind before going off. Long day, Sunday. Hope he is doing well.

SMILEYMAN
09-23-2002, 03:35 PM
Alot of fellows got off for seemingly different reasons. There was a great difference in rider skill levels all on track at once. Amatuers feeling their way around the track, Experts getting short on patience and tolerance. Myself I was coming down to turn 8 after seeing yet another yellow flag and the distraction caused brain fade I guess. Missed by turn in point and ran wide where there is no wide and kept leaning till the front finally let go. I was hurt but chose to ride in the Lt AM supersport race anyway to keep my points lead intact and although I finished 2nd a certain expert rider thought I was "riding over my head with a go for it attitude" Maybe he never wanted to win a championship or maybe he didn't know I was riding hurt. Doesn't matter. I went back out in Lt Superbike to just ride to the finish, only five laps ya know, and on the warm up lap I false neutralled and before I could get the clutch back in, I Hi sided. My injured leg just wasn't up to feeling the shifter past the pain. I won't ever ride hurt again unless I have to. Smileyman CMRA506

SMILEYMAN
09-23-2002, 03:35 PM
Alot of fellows got off for seemingly different reasons. There was a great difference in rider skill levels all on track at once. Amatuers feeling their way around the track, Experts getting short on patience and tolerance. Myself I was coming down to turn 8 after seeing yet another yellow flag and the distraction caused brain fade I guess. Missed by turn in point and ran wide where there is no wide and kept leaning till the front finally let go. I was hurt but chose to ride in the Lt AM supersport race anyway to keep my points lead intact and although I finished 2nd a certain expert rider thought I was "riding over my head with a go for it attitude" Maybe he never wanted to win a championship or maybe he didn't know I was riding hurt. Doesn't matter. I went back out in Lt Superbike to just ride to the finish, only five laps ya know, and on the warm up lap I false neutralled and before I could get the clutch back in, I Hi sided. My injured leg just wasn't up to feeling the shifter past the pain. I won't ever ride hurt again unless I have to. Smileyman CMRA506

racer550
09-23-2002, 03:52 PM
Good on ya, Smileyman!
I thought I was gonna read all these messages about the race I missed (money, again) and feel real left out and bummed. NOT! After reading about all the crashes, I feel Ok. I don't crash much, but if better riders than me (like Chris) are piling it up, and wishing they'd quit when they were behind, then I may have wound up in the hospital and retired. Not where I want to be!
I remember when the lure of points was enough to override my (better) thought processes, resulting in financial and physical exhaustion, if not destruction. TWS is a really cool place to go fast, but if things aren't working perfectly, it becomes one of the most dangerous. Sounds like the cool(er) weather had speeds up and traction way down. Glad you found your limits, Chris; those are the moments which are looked back on fondly years later, and which make the sacrifices worth it.

racer550
09-23-2002, 03:52 PM
Good on ya, Smileyman!
I thought I was gonna read all these messages about the race I missed (money, again) and feel real left out and bummed. NOT! After reading about all the crashes, I feel Ok. I don't crash much, but if better riders than me (like Chris) are piling it up, and wishing they'd quit when they were behind, then I may have wound up in the hospital and retired. Not where I want to be!
I remember when the lure of points was enough to override my (better) thought processes, resulting in financial and physical exhaustion, if not destruction. TWS is a really cool place to go fast, but if things aren't working perfectly, it becomes one of the most dangerous. Sounds like the cool(er) weather had speeds up and traction way down. Glad you found your limits, Chris; those are the moments which are looked back on fondly years later, and which make the sacrifices worth it.

David Branyon
09-23-2002, 04:12 PM
Glad to hear several folks were okay. Chris gave me a little scare in LWGP (race 7?) when he went down (a good distance) in front of me into the air fence. Then, I go off and crash in the horseshoe in race 9, MWSn. I felt like an idiot, as I was racing with guys not even in my class. Not hurt though, and I apologize to whoever that was on my outside who ran off the track avoiding me (congrats on staying up). #49 maybe?

Anyway, see everyone at Cresson, if I can find a few parts to throw this old FZR back together.

p.s. Dang Chris. (Just read your 2nd post.) I left after crashing in MWSn and was discussing my philosophy with my pit neighbor about not bringing many spares with me to avoid more than one crash/weekend (i.e. give me more motivation not to crash in the first place). I was kind of mad at missing LWSB, but after reading your trials and tribulations, maybe it was just as well. Hope all is fine and we'll see you at Cresson. Enjoyed almost racing with you out there!

David Branyon
09-23-2002, 04:12 PM
Glad to hear several folks were okay. Chris gave me a little scare in LWGP (race 7?) when he went down (a good distance) in front of me into the air fence. Then, I go off and crash in the horseshoe in race 9, MWSn. I felt like an idiot, as I was racing with guys not even in my class. Not hurt though, and I apologize to whoever that was on my outside who ran off the track avoiding me (congrats on staying up). #49 maybe?

Anyway, see everyone at Cresson, if I can find a few parts to throw this old FZR back together.

p.s. Dang Chris. (Just read your 2nd post.) I left after crashing in MWSn and was discussing my philosophy with my pit neighbor about not bringing many spares with me to avoid more than one crash/weekend (i.e. give me more motivation not to crash in the first place). I was kind of mad at missing LWSB, but after reading your trials and tribulations, maybe it was just as well. Hope all is fine and we'll see you at Cresson. Enjoyed almost racing with you out there!

SMILEYMAN
09-25-2002, 10:53 AM
You guys keep me coming back for more! I will be walking wounded still when Cresson comes along but you can bet we'll have fun just the same. I am looking forward to the pre race party and the awards banquet! The CMRA is just like havin a second family full of rowdy brothers! See ya Soon Chris Smiley /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

SMILEYMAN
09-25-2002, 10:53 AM
You guys keep me coming back for more! I will be walking wounded still when Cresson comes along but you can bet we'll have fun just the same. I am looking forward to the pre race party and the awards banquet! The CMRA is just like havin a second family full of rowdy brothers! See ya Soon Chris Smiley /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif