PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake Controllers

G-Man
09-23-2002, 02:42 PM
Finally found a new trailer and want to get a brake controller for my '99 Taho to pull it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a decent quality brake controller? I'm considering the Draw-Tite Activator III because the unit can be mounted hidden up under the dash with the control being dash-mounted and/or removable.

Activator III from Draw-Tite (Scroll down to bottom of page). (http://www.draw-tite.com/products/products/elec_brake_activator.shtml)

G-Man
09-23-2002, 02:42 PM
Finally found a new trailer and want to get a brake controller for my '99 Taho to pull it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a decent quality brake controller? I'm considering the Draw-Tite Activator III because the unit can be mounted hidden up under the dash with the control being dash-mounted and/or removable.

Activator III from Draw-Tite (Scroll down to bottom of page). (http://www.draw-tite.com/products/products/elec_brake_activator.shtml)

Eric Kelcher
09-23-2002, 02:50 PM
The Draw-Tite is the worst brake controller I have ever had; I have an Activator II I will give you if you want one of the POS.

For a truley dependable unit the Kelsy is unbeatable. But for the best stopping and progressiveness the Tekonsha Prodigy or the Jordon Ultima are the two preferred models on the market.
Here is link to a brake controller discussion on the Dodge Diesel site (http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56102)

Eric Kelcher
09-23-2002, 02:50 PM
The Draw-Tite is the worst brake controller I have ever had; I have an Activator II I will give you if you want one of the POS.

For a truley dependable unit the Kelsy is unbeatable. But for the best stopping and progressiveness the Tekonsha Prodigy or the Jordon Ultima are the two preferred models on the market.
Here is link to a brake controller discussion on the Dodge Diesel site (http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56102)

Allan Stevens
09-23-2002, 02:56 PM
I have hooked one up to my Tahoe. You pretty much get what you pay for so get a good one. There is a heavy gage orange wire that is exposed behind the fuse box under the hood in between the fire wall, this wire is taped back on it's self and has no end on it. Yo need to connect a 30 amp circut breaker on this and connect it to one of the threaded 12v power posts that is located behind the fuse box. This wire is always hot to the trailer connection under the left rear of the vehicle. Have fun!

Allan Stevens
09-23-2002, 02:56 PM
I have hooked one up to my Tahoe. You pretty much get what you pay for so get a good one. There is a heavy gage orange wire that is exposed behind the fuse box under the hood in between the fire wall, this wire is taped back on it's self and has no end on it. Yo need to connect a 30 amp circut breaker on this and connect it to one of the threaded 12v power posts that is located behind the fuse box. This wire is always hot to the trailer connection under the left rear of the vehicle. Have fun!

kencyr
09-23-2002, 03:49 PM
Tekonsha Prodigy, hands down. Anything else is just that.

kencyr
09-23-2002, 03:49 PM
Tekonsha Prodigy, hands down. Anything else is just that.

E. Templet
09-23-2002, 11:33 PM
I asked for a good quality controller from the local shop as I didn't have time to shop around. I was leaving the following morning to pick up the trailer. That piece of junk is on my shop table and the Jordan Ultima is on the truck now. Linear, mechanical, and consistent, I am totally happy with it. My personal preference was not to have another inertia activated system.

I was looking hard at the Prodigy as I have read good things about it, but one has to make a choice. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

E. Templet
09-23-2002, 11:33 PM
I asked for a good quality controller from the local shop as I didn't have time to shop around. I was leaving the following morning to pick up the trailer. That piece of junk is on my shop table and the Jordan Ultima is on the truck now. Linear, mechanical, and consistent, I am totally happy with it. My personal preference was not to have another inertia activated system.

I was looking hard at the Prodigy as I have read good things about it, but one has to make a choice. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

David Hirsch
09-24-2002, 08:19 PM
U-Haul has a very nice controler that has a high and low speed setting. It does not use a pendulum and may be mounted at any attitude. It is not any more than the others and I have never had a problem with them.
David

David Hirsch
09-24-2002, 08:19 PM
U-Haul has a very nice controler that has a high and low speed setting. It does not use a pendulum and may be mounted at any attitude. It is not any more than the others and I have never had a problem with them.
David