PDA

View Full Version : Training Buddies, Austin Offroad

dlippolt
12-27-2005, 05:59 AM
Looking for people to go on somewhat regular (weekly?) training rides to city park road in austin. terrain is extremely tight and technical (esp on my big xr!)

send me a private msg.

Jason Keene
12-27-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm not into being anyone's buddy, I did just get a dirt bike...

You have a PM

Derek Heaton
12-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Shucks, Teeny, you'll always be my big buddy! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

dlippolt
12-29-2005, 02:01 AM
oh, nice. great minds think alike and all that. what did u pick up?

here is a nice description of the area:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/menasha/bik_hil5.htm

Hazards: There are at least a dozen ways to get maimed/mortally wounded/ killed while riding here. The loose trail conditions and steep terrain combined with the short line of sight while approaching many or most of the turns offers you a multitude of mangling methods. There are plenty of sharp-ended tree limbs along the trail-certain eye-pokers. I would not faint if I saw a snake out here, especially early in the year. There is an archery range nearby, but it is across the paved road, so don't stray far off the trail. The normal rider follows the arrows that lead you clockwise, but how many normal mountain bikers do you know? 'Nuff said.

Jason Keene
12-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Yamaha WR 400...

Gabe Sanchez
01-04-2006, 04:08 AM
Lippolt, I will ride there anytime. I have used KDX 200, KX 250, CR80 big wheel, and CR80 small wheel. I don't know which bike was the quickest way around but it felt like the CR80 small wheel by a long shot. I might try XR80 next time. Are you going to the Salt Flats this year? You did good last time out, that bike is sick. What's Jerry been up to? Remember back in 1996 when we went to Oak Hill? We were flying on the way there that has to some kind of record.

01-09-2006, 04:06 PM
I could almost turn as fast a time on my mountain bike at City Park as I could manage on my CR125 back in 1995. And riding the CR was WORK. XR100 would be my weapon of choice out there. On a full size bike you are dodging low limbs and working to carry the bike up the drop offs. I'm jealous...and want to move to Austin.

dlippolt
01-16-2006, 03:24 AM
jason:

sweet. previous riding buddy had one, super motor. we'll go when u get back.

gabe:

sounds good. the fastest bikes i've seen out there are kdx200's and my xr650. i'm pretty sure its all about the rider there, the bike is almost irrelevant. some of the limestone shelves would be pretty hard on a small wheel, methinks. i'll ping you next time i go out. i banged up my wrist and want it to heal some more.

peter:

fast times for me are in the ~ 1/2 hr range. i'd black out and possibly die if i tried to pump my legs that hard on a mtn bike. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

01-17-2006, 04:47 PM
I never took my times, but 1/2 seems about right. We used to run two laps on the mountain bikes in about 1:30 with a break. If I had to ride one lap in one hour in my current physical condition I probably wouldn't be able to walk for a week. Sucks being 34, 185 lbs versus 24, 165 lbs.

I am near Austin in the hill country once a month. I'd love to bring the XR up for a ride and a burger at green shores.

dlippolt
01-19-2006, 02:27 AM
yeah, that would be sweet. just give a couple days notice.

Gabe Sanchez
01-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Drew,
Are you going to the salt flats this year?

Call when you are ready.
(512)680-6289

dlippolt
01-20-2006, 07:47 PM
i imagine so. our next goal is the texas mile in a couple months. jerry is busy making it stop since right now the land speed sled has more motor than brakes. we outran the decel zone only hitting 178 thru traps in goliad.

bonneville is such a weather dependent thing.

in about another week my wrist should be good.

Gabe Sanchez
01-20-2006, 09:37 PM
That's cool Drew sounds like fun. I will go to the texas mile if I can.
Gabe