PDA

View Full Version : Helmet life

R Eads
01-12-2003, 03:29 PM
can someone tell me what the rules are as to the eligiblilty of a helmet as to age.
the rules don't realy say. I thought that I read some where it was 3 yrs. Wera is 5 yrs. thanks for any information.

5.1 RIDER EQUIPMENT
5.1.1 Undamaged full-face helmet with face shield and bearing a stamp of approval from DOT or
the Snell foundation.

Richard Eads #93

Walter Walker
01-12-2003, 09:57 PM
Richard, the rule book is pretty vague on this subject. It all comes down to this,the tech inspector has the final word. Just use common sense, if your helmet is beat up (deep scratches into the fiberglass, cracks, worn straps) it will not pass tech. Currently there is no age limit in the rules, but I have not seen 2003 rules yet. I replace my helmets every 4 to 5 years. Hope this helps.

ysr612
01-13-2003, 05:50 AM
this is what snell says on helmet age
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why replace helmet every five years?
The five year replacement recommendation is a consensus position from both the helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials, and general liner deterioration as a function of hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, and normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five year period due to advances in materials, design and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from prudent safety philosophy.
</div></div>

R Eads
01-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the information. I was asking as my dads helmet is going on 4 yrs, no damage. He and I both thought it was some where around 3 yrs. I personally replace mine if it takes any kind of hit. I will pass this on to my dad. He has a new one coming anyway, as do I.

Thanks again,
Richard Eads

tracykyleharris
01-29-2003, 08:32 PM
Eeeeeeek!

Old smudgy has got to retire.

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Chuck Ergle
01-29-2003, 10:12 PM
3-5 years MAX, I think. IF the helmet has EVER hit ANYTHING hard, even if you don't notice any external damage, check the EPS (Expanded PolyStyrene, AKA Styrofoam) layer under the terrycloth liner. This is the stuff that actually absorbs and distributes the force from impacts. It is generally painted flat black, with NO imperfections; if you see white at all (unless it's from a fingernail dig or something), especially general hints of whiteness in a generally specific area, mainly at the edges of the black painted EPS "cells", the helmet has taken an impact and the EPS has done its job. The helmet is history, and should be tossed. The EPS doesn't "spring back" or "regenerate". It is finished and will not absorb another impact with nearly the same effectiveness. I had to pitch a brand new $$ Arai RX-7 after a highside at TWS. The damage was obvious, but sometimes it's not. Better safe than sorry.