PDA

View Full Version : About press release in RRW

Nohl Haeckel
07-01-2003, 10:35 AM
In the artical about ending our affiliation with CCS .. it was mentioned that one of the evident factors of CMRA being strong and getting stronger was the repaving of oak hill? The way the artical read it seemed it had already been done..I know it has not, but do we know when we plan on doing so. I think it is a great idea, much needed. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Thanks

ysr612
07-01-2003, 04:51 PM
About 1/3 or more of Oak Hill has been repaved. It is a world better then it was before. Thanks to all who put time in to do this.

Brooks Gremmels
07-02-2003, 09:59 AM
Nohl,
Turn one, turn two, turn seven and eight as well as portions of the staights were re-paved last year. Rhino Hide was used to protect the new surface and to fill cracks and missing chuncks of the pavement. Until I read your post above I had not heard from anyone who thinks the rest of the track needs to be repaved. If there are specific problem areas that you are aware of please let us know so they can be added to the list for the next work day at OHR. Thanks.
Brooks

Nohl Haeckel
07-02-2003, 12:42 PM
I also appreciate those who put in the hours of work to improve the track surface..I did not know that "rhino hide" was a perminate fix. Im not trying to piss anyone off or ruffle feathers on this matter, but maybe with all the $$$ we are saving by dropping our CCS afilliation (which I commend the BOD on that final decision) we could do the whole track ... I live in central LA and I see every day the reprocutions of doing the "patchwork pavement fix" ..Oak hill is not very wide to begin with and to shorten it with a line of rhino hide, like in T4 is not a good idea in my book. Once agian thank for your time in hearing the opinion of a "junior member /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Keith Hertell
07-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Nohl, the Rhino hide does not shorten the track.
That stuff has as much if not more traction that the original asphalt, especially in the wet.

Brad Thomas
07-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Ditto on what Keith said, go out on the track and try to slide your shoe on the Rhino hide and then walk over to the other surfaces and do the same I'll bet you will be surprised. The only thing I can see we need to do for the Oak Hill surface is continue to be diligent about killing the grass on edge of the track in order to help slow down the damage it causes; the grass invading the track surface is what is decreasing the width.

David Branyon
07-03-2003, 09:53 AM
I'll have to agree here. I don't get to OHR much, but my last time out there was the first time since the paving work. I thought those patches *looked* slicker'n snot and was avoiding them in a big way and having lots of trouble. Then I watched another practice and saw everyone going right across those things with big lean angles and I decided I guess those patches are okay after all.

It would take another step of faith for me to ride hard across those things in the rain, but "they" were right last time so...

Nohl Haeckel
07-03-2003, 01:35 PM
I know it does not shorten the tracks length..duh I was saying it sortens the width, but you say that it has more grip than the rest of the track surface yes I agree..But it causes an inconsistance in the traction of the whole corner. it is also not level with the rest of the suface. look all im saying is oak hill needs to have a complete make over from the suface of the track to the mud fest pit area. I Know that there are alot of die hard oak hill fans we already went through this with the thread of "No Problem Raceway". Some one brought up the point that we should be happy we have 4 different tracks and 6 different configurations to race on. I am ,but I would rather have 3 tracks and 5 configs for 1 year to allow someone to do something about the track. Is everyone forgetting it was built in 1975 AS A GO CART TRACK.. In 1975 it may have been okay to run a motorcycle on it but that was 28 years ago we have updated motorcycles in leaps and bounds lets take some time and money to update our riding surfaces.

People ask why we dont have the spectator turn out that we sould have. and that I believe the the sport deserves. Who Wants to walk though the mud to sit on a piece of pine in the hot sun to watch some guys on bikes fly buy who are hardly recognizable.well beside me ,you and all the already die hard moto fans. The people who already have a passion are probably racing. Im just segesting we clean it up .. any one who sells thing or even buys thing Know presentation is 80% of getting people interested..

Thank you for your time /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Nohl Haeckel
07-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Brad
You said we need to slow down the damage the grass is causing. Why so the track can get slowly thinner why dont we just fix it for good.

Keith Hertell
07-03-2003, 03:18 PM
1. We are doing what is financially possible.
If you can find several hundred thousand dollars to use on Oak Hill, I'd be all over it.
2. We don't even own OH.

twg
07-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Nohl:

Oak Hill does seem a little rough when compared to newer tracks and you are correct about it being built in 1975. However, the 1975 Uvalde asphalt has excellent traction due to the aluminum that was part of the mixture. Others, who posted about the Rhino, are correct about its performance, but it does take some getting used to. Regarding the fact that the track is narrow, Walter limits the number of bikes allowed to enter the races.

I've complained about conditions at OHR in the past, but it has improved. And hopefully we can keep making small improvements in the future. Come out and ride with those of us who use the track regularly, you will get used to it.

BTW I will call Darryl today to see if it can be reserved for bikes this Sunday the 6th.

twg

Nohl Haeckel
07-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Keith

All Im doing is trying to dicuss this, Please do not post unlikly solutions. I do not hold the purse strings for the CMRA so how would I come up with a hundred thousand dollars. Im not trying to tell anyone how to do there job!! so can everyone just calm down! Like tom (twg) said he has complained about oak hill in the past and there has been some improvments , so now is it wrong for me to bring up some improvment posibilities.

we do not own OH.so why is the club paying for the repairs?

Ill say it again Im not trying to piss anyone off! so dont get upset. Please help me to understand where you stand on this issue.

Thank you

Keith Hertell
07-04-2003, 03:37 PM
You are correct, it is unlikely that we get the funds for a complete repaving. One can only hope.
I was just stating the reasons why OH is the way it is.

CMRA pays for repairs because OH is one of the most demanding tracks around. I feel that OH and Hallet are the only tracks we race that really teach you something. Just think about Spencer, Schwantz, Polen, Edwards, the Haydens, Spies etc.
If I'm not mistaken, ALL of the above mention OH as THE place that helped them become what they are today.

I'm not pissed off.
I'm not upset.
And, I hope you understand where I stand on this issue.

PS- CMRA has done SOMETHING to improve OH EVERY year for the last several years. More is on the way. Patience, grasshoppa /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Nohl Haeckel
07-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Thank for your input!

p.s. I will work on my patience oh' wise one

Mathew Wise
07-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Ok, I gotta know... How does the Rhino Hide make the track more narrow? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

twg
07-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Hey Matt: How's the collar bone?

I guess Rhino would make the track (the racing line actually)more narrow if you absolutely would not run on it. I was out there today and ran the track both on and off the Rhino. Still slow no matter where I go.

See you at Hallett.

twg