PDA

View Full Version : Better Promotion of the CMRA

GreSam
11-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Maybe this has come up in the past but I'm a new guy so I'll ask anyway. I do feel the long set-up is necessary, but I am long-winded... sorry.

I joined the CMRA this year and did my first race at Cresson in September by running both the endurance race and sunday sprints. Everything went great and, of course, I am hooked. I'd done about 13 trackdays in 2003 along with Jason Pridmore's Star School out at Barber. I am also a member of an organization known as the TSBA or Texas Sport Bike Association here in Dallas, it is a statewide club and started in Houston. The group promotes sport riding and while I enjoyed spirited rides on twisty backroads I was more comfortable on the track as I had been racing superkarts for 12 years.

Prior to joining the TSBA, I was completely unaware of trackdays. I thought it would be cool to get out and use the bike as it was designed, but thought that the only place to do this was on some backroads. After some searching on the net I found the club and a great group of people to ride with on the weekends. After several months and a lot of searching, I learned about trackdays (LSTD) and then eventually about the CMRA, but only by chance from a post online regarding a previous race at Cresson.

It took a lot of chance meetings and fortunate circumstances for me to get involved with being on the track with the bike. This should not be the case. There are a lot of people out there, potential racers and memebers, that have no idea you exist. To me, the CMRA needs to do a lot more to promote itself and build an even larger series. If we are going to be successful as an independent championship, we are going to have to work very hard to increase membership.

Why not invite local media to come out and see the racing when the series visits TWS and Cresson? Get them to bring out a satellite truck and do a remote on the series. Invite the sports editors from the Dallas Morning News, FT. Wroth Star and so forth to get them to recognize the size and depth of the series. When I raced in karts we (the track) made a point of sending the DMN our results every weekend.

Maybe this is overkill but we could offer to take local media on two-up rides on the track! How cool would that be?! If we make them a part of the action, they'll be more likely to run a story (even a short one) and increase public knowledge of the CMRA.

The idea that "if people want to race, they'll find us" is silly. Even if we only spent about 5% of the clubs annual revenue on advertising, we could increase membership and ultimately grow the series. I don't know what you spend or what you plan on spending each year in promotion but I would hazzard to guess that it is very little.

Ok, so why should the CMRA really care all that much about promoting itself?

Racing is expensive. We all know that. I'm probably going to become Mastercard's second son in 2004 and will likely be responsible for some credit manager's promotion, new yacht and 19-year-old mistress. But I digress...

If the CMRA were to promote itself more heavily, increase public knowledge and show ourselves to be a smart media for advertisers to reach their target markets, SPONSORSHIP of the series and its riders would become a lot easier. I'm not talking about contingency. While that type of sponsorship is vital, it is not the key. I'm talking about promoting ourselves to companies like Pepsi, Frito-Lay, Dell, etc. Companies that can sponsor classes and provide larger purses! This will give the series massive credibility and a big stick to swing when we say that we are the premier independent racing series in the US. Willow Springs has the Toyota 200, but we could have "Dell Unlimited Superbike" or the "Frito 200"... But, more importantly, it will allow racers to approach more companies with a targeted plan for reaching consumers, and a feasible means of attaining sponsorship money for their racing team from those companies.

Afterall, isn't the key to racing figuring out how to get someone else to pay for it? The only way to achieve this, however, is through better promotion of the club as a viable medium for advertising.

Again, sorry for being such a wind bag. Just thought it was necessary to set it all up properly.

GreSam
11-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Maybe this has come up in the past but I'm a new guy so I'll ask anyway. I do feel the long set-up is necessary, but I am long-winded... sorry.

I joined the CMRA this year and did my first race at Cresson in September by running both the endurance race and sunday sprints. Everything went great and, of course, I am hooked. I'd done about 13 trackdays in 2003 along with Jason Pridmore's Star School out at Barber. I am also a member of an organization known as the TSBA or Texas Sport Bike Association here in Dallas, it is a statewide club and started in Houston. The group promotes sport riding and while I enjoyed spirited rides on twisty backroads I was more comfortable on the track as I had been racing superkarts for 12 years.

Prior to joining the TSBA, I was completely unaware of trackdays. I thought it would be cool to get out and use the bike as it was designed, but thought that the only place to do this was on some backroads. After some searching on the net I found the club and a great group of people to ride with on the weekends. After several months and a lot of searching, I learned about trackdays (LSTD) and then eventually about the CMRA, but only by chance from a post online regarding a previous race at Cresson.

It took a lot of chance meetings and fortunate circumstances for me to get involved with being on the track with the bike. This should not be the case. There are a lot of people out there, potential racers and memebers, that have no idea you exist. To me, the CMRA needs to do a lot more to promote itself and build an even larger series. If we are going to be successful as an independent championship, we are going to have to work very hard to increase membership.

Why not invite local media to come out and see the racing when the series visits TWS and Cresson? Get them to bring out a satellite truck and do a remote on the series. Invite the sports editors from the Dallas Morning News, FT. Wroth Star and so forth to get them to recognize the size and depth of the series. When I raced in karts we (the track) made a point of sending the DMN our results every weekend.

Maybe this is overkill but we could offer to take local media on two-up rides on the track! How cool would that be?! If we make them a part of the action, they'll be more likely to run a story (even a short one) and increase public knowledge of the CMRA.

The idea that "if people want to race, they'll find us" is silly. Even if we only spent about 5% of the clubs annual revenue on advertising, we could increase membership and ultimately grow the series. I don't know what you spend or what you plan on spending each year in promotion but I would hazzard to guess that it is very little.

Ok, so why should the CMRA really care all that much about promoting itself?

Racing is expensive. We all know that. I'm probably going to become Mastercard's second son in 2004 and will likely be responsible for some credit manager's promotion, new yacht and 19-year-old mistress. But I digress...

If the CMRA were to promote itself more heavily, increase public knowledge and show ourselves to be a smart media for advertisers to reach their target markets, SPONSORSHIP of the series and its riders would become a lot easier. I'm not talking about contingency. While that type of sponsorship is vital, it is not the key. I'm talking about promoting ourselves to companies like Pepsi, Frito-Lay, Dell, etc. Companies that can sponsor classes and provide larger purses! This will give the series massive credibility and a big stick to swing when we say that we are the premier independent racing series in the US. Willow Springs has the Toyota 200, but we could have "Dell Unlimited Superbike" or the "Frito 200"... But, more importantly, it will allow racers to approach more companies with a targeted plan for reaching consumers, and a feasible means of attaining sponsorship money for their racing team from those companies.

Afterall, isn't the key to racing figuring out how to get someone else to pay for it? The only way to achieve this, however, is through better promotion of the club as a viable medium for advertising.

Again, sorry for being such a wind bag. Just thought it was necessary to set it all up properly.

Brooks Gremmels
11-19-2003, 12:41 PM
I appreciate the candor expressed above but surely this attitude is not pervasive in our club. Or is it?
In my opinion the "key" to racing should be to have fun while improving your skills. It should be perhaps a chance to spend time with like minded individuals.
But the idea of pumping up contingencies, prizes and other forms of support, even including substancial trophies, is something that racers just a few years ago wouldn't recognize. They raced because it made them feel alive.Many raced because they couldn't imagine life without it. Sure, racing has gotten more expensive but there have been increases in the standards of living along the way too.
Our club does a great job in aligning itself with contributors on behalf of our racers. But to believe this is the key will distort your perception of the other priorities involved.
Brooks
PS, from a sponsor's perspective finding the support going to people who's key goal is to find someone to pay for their pleasure is counter to the whole notion of helping riders. Just my 2 cents.

Brooks Gremmels
11-19-2003, 12:41 PM
I appreciate the candor expressed above but surely this attitude is not pervasive in our club. Or is it?
In my opinion the "key" to racing should be to have fun while improving your skills. It should be perhaps a chance to spend time with like minded individuals.
But the idea of pumping up contingencies, prizes and other forms of support, even including substancial trophies, is something that racers just a few years ago wouldn't recognize. They raced because it made them feel alive.Many raced because they couldn't imagine life without it. Sure, racing has gotten more expensive but there have been increases in the standards of living along the way too.
Our club does a great job in aligning itself with contributors on behalf of our racers. But to believe this is the key will distort your perception of the other priorities involved.
Brooks
PS, from a sponsor's perspective finding the support going to people who's key goal is to find someone to pay for their pleasure is counter to the whole notion of helping riders. Just my 2 cents.

John Orchard
11-19-2003, 03:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Brooks Gremmels:
Sure, racing has gotten more expensive but there have been increases in the standards of living along the way too.</div></div>I'm not convinced that many folks' standard of living is keeping pace with some recent racing expense increases. I know mine hasn't.

John Orchard
11-19-2003, 03:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Brooks Gremmels:
Sure, racing has gotten more expensive but there have been increases in the standards of living along the way too.</div></div>I'm not convinced that many folks' standard of living is keeping pace with some recent racing expense increases. I know mine hasn't.

GreSam
11-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Brooks, you misinterpreted my intentions. My apologies for not being more clear.

I agree that the true key to racing is to enjoy the sport and to give ourselves one more reason (or the only reason) to get up and go to work in the morning... I guess my point was that if we can get someone else to pay the tab, or part of it, we can have even more fun.

Based on the people I've met while racing karts, SCCA Solo I & II, SCCA IT and now motorcycles, not too many people could have afforded to race without the help and support of sponsors. While I could also care less about plastic trophies, I cannot imageine many people turning down the opportunity to earn a little more money toward tires and engine parts...

I guess I just feel that it is silly to put one's self in financial crisis (as we do) when there are other valid options and other ways to enjoy our sport, meet our friends & feel more alive.

GreSam
11-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Brooks, you misinterpreted my intentions. My apologies for not being more clear.

I agree that the true key to racing is to enjoy the sport and to give ourselves one more reason (or the only reason) to get up and go to work in the morning... I guess my point was that if we can get someone else to pay the tab, or part of it, we can have even more fun.

Based on the people I've met while racing karts, SCCA Solo I & II, SCCA IT and now motorcycles, not too many people could have afforded to race without the help and support of sponsors. While I could also care less about plastic trophies, I cannot imageine many people turning down the opportunity to earn a little more money toward tires and engine parts...

I guess I just feel that it is silly to put one's self in financial crisis (as we do) when there are other valid options and other ways to enjoy our sport, meet our friends & feel more alive.

Brooks Gremmels
11-20-2003, 07:38 AM
I am not sure how the club can better promote itself in terms of gaining more support for individual riders. The regular event features now being carried in RRWorld and Cycle news, the furnishing of results to contingency sponsors, a first rate website with up-to-date results and sponsor links are all in place. The most successful racers use those tools as a foundation and then submit their well constructed resumes to potential sponsors. They send regular reports and updates throughout the season to their sponsors and in essense market themselves.
The main thing is being seen on the podium on a consistant basis. It is the winning ingredient that sponsors can promote. From working directly with manufacturers I can tell you that they will find you if you are winning races against credible competition.
Brooks

Brooks Gremmels
11-20-2003, 07:38 AM
I am not sure how the club can better promote itself in terms of gaining more support for individual riders. The regular event features now being carried in RRWorld and Cycle news, the furnishing of results to contingency sponsors, a first rate website with up-to-date results and sponsor links are all in place. The most successful racers use those tools as a foundation and then submit their well constructed resumes to potential sponsors. They send regular reports and updates throughout the season to their sponsors and in essense market themselves.
The main thing is being seen on the podium on a consistant basis. It is the winning ingredient that sponsors can promote. From working directly with manufacturers I can tell you that they will find you if you are winning races against credible competition.
Brooks

GreSam
11-20-2003, 09:29 AM
You make very good points, Thank you.

Again, my apologies to all if I have beaten an old dead horse.

I would still like to help the club with its usual promotions though, when/if the membership sees a need for it in the coming year.

GreSam
11-20-2003, 09:29 AM
You make very good points, Thank you.

Again, my apologies to all if I have beaten an old dead horse.

I would still like to help the club with its usual promotions though, when/if the membership sees a need for it in the coming year.

Frank Newman
11-24-2003, 09:03 AM
In the Annual Membership/License Application package there was an opportunity to volunteer for Publicity or some such work. I hope you will volunteer. I did. I agree that CMRA should be covered better by local media. I don't know that the level of participation by sponsors you envision will happen or that it is necessarily desired by the membership. I have no idea personally since I am also very new. But, it would be good to see some local coverage and it could not help but generate interest which equals more members and more sponsors and more fun.

Frank Newman
11-24-2003, 09:03 AM
In the Annual Membership/License Application package there was an opportunity to volunteer for Publicity or some such work. I hope you will volunteer. I did. I agree that CMRA should be covered better by local media. I don't know that the level of participation by sponsors you envision will happen or that it is necessarily desired by the membership. I have no idea personally since I am also very new. But, it would be good to see some local coverage and it could not help but generate interest which equals more members and more sponsors and more fun.

migkilr
12-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Well I'm sitting here in the middle of Iraq and just got internet in my tent... First place I go, of course is the CMRA website! I've GOT TO respond because this kind of fires me up! First of all, Greg, don't you dare apologize! Second, Brooks, I've got lots of respect for you and the others that play a vital role in keeping this club running, but I have to disagree. To say that
"the idea of pumping up contingencies, prizes and other forms of support, even including substancial trophies, is something that racers just a few years ago wouldn't recognize. They raced because it made them feel alive.Many raced because they couldn't imagine life without it "
C'mon man. I love racing as much as the next guy, but getting a nice trophy is definitely a perk, especially for the younger guys. Please don't use the "back in the day" argument, riders today have just as much heart as the old timers did. Bringing more money and more recognition to our sport (and the CMRA) can only do GOOD. I repeat "it can only do GOOD". This is the third organization that I have raced with and one of the biggest differences I've seen is the lack of promotion of the races. It is almost like it's a "secret" club. I initially attributed this to simply a lack of funds/resources/ etc... But after reading your post it almost seems like you are trying to AVOID publicity. To use your words, I surely hope this is NOT the pervasive attitude in our club. I definitely like Greg's thoughts, and although we probably don't have $150,000 to put up for a Toyota 200 type of race, why not point ourselves in that direction? This seems to be a battle of "philosophies" but trust me, I agree that the point of club racing is to have fun, improve skills, and see friends. This endeavour will be made much easier, and more fruitful if we are able to bring more visibility to the CMRA.
This starts by drawing more spectators to the races. If anyone has any questions on how to do this, talk to the church of speed down by New Orleans www.churchofspeed.us (http://www.churchofspeed.us) This summer they drew an enormous crowd for their race (by club racing standards). The fun level was very high there! If the CMRA membership wants to keep the club in relative obscurity, that is fine, but I would bet lots of money that most riders would have no problem with more publicity, bigger purses, and more spectators. I know that some could care less, but lets not let that small percentage take away from the rest of our experience. Sorry for the long diatribe, but I don't like to see a forward-looking enthusiastic new member told "this is the way things are done here, go to the corner and shut up". I wish I could follow this up by saying that I will be spending 20 hours a week promoting the CMRA, but I just can't. I WILL be more than happy to put flyers up all over my part of Louisiana, or other stuff like that.
I can't wait to get back to the U.S. so I can start racing again!
Jon Appelt
Baqubah, Iraq
CMRA #769
PS- I think that people pursue sponsors not to "have someone else pay for their pleasure", but to simply be ABLE to pursue their pleasure in this very expensive sport.

migkilr
12-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Well I'm sitting here in the middle of Iraq and just got internet in my tent... First place I go, of course is the CMRA website! I've GOT TO respond because this kind of fires me up! First of all, Greg, don't you dare apologize! Second, Brooks, I've got lots of respect for you and the others that play a vital role in keeping this club running, but I have to disagree. To say that
"the idea of pumping up contingencies, prizes and other forms of support, even including substancial trophies, is something that racers just a few years ago wouldn't recognize. They raced because it made them feel alive.Many raced because they couldn't imagine life without it "
C'mon man. I love racing as much as the next guy, but getting a nice trophy is definitely a perk, especially for the younger guys. Please don't use the "back in the day" argument, riders today have just as much heart as the old timers did. Bringing more money and more recognition to our sport (and the CMRA) can only do GOOD. I repeat "it can only do GOOD". This is the third organization that I have raced with and one of the biggest differences I've seen is the lack of promotion of the races. It is almost like it's a "secret" club. I initially attributed this to simply a lack of funds/resources/ etc... But after reading your post it almost seems like you are trying to AVOID publicity. To use your words, I surely hope this is NOT the pervasive attitude in our club. I definitely like Greg's thoughts, and although we probably don't have $150,000 to put up for a Toyota 200 type of race, why not point ourselves in that direction? This seems to be a battle of "philosophies" but trust me, I agree that the point of club racing is to have fun, improve skills, and see friends. This endeavour will be made much easier, and more fruitful if we are able to bring more visibility to the CMRA.
This starts by drawing more spectators to the races. If anyone has any questions on how to do this, talk to the church of speed down by New Orleans www.churchofspeed.us (http://www.churchofspeed.us) This summer they drew an enormous crowd for their race (by club racing standards). The fun level was very high there! If the CMRA membership wants to keep the club in relative obscurity, that is fine, but I would bet lots of money that most riders would have no problem with more publicity, bigger purses, and more spectators. I know that some could care less, but lets not let that small percentage take away from the rest of our experience. Sorry for the long diatribe, but I don't like to see a forward-looking enthusiastic new member told "this is the way things are done here, go to the corner and shut up". I wish I could follow this up by saying that I will be spending 20 hours a week promoting the CMRA, but I just can't. I WILL be more than happy to put flyers up all over my part of Louisiana, or other stuff like that.
I can't wait to get back to the U.S. so I can start racing again!
Jon Appelt
Baqubah, Iraq
CMRA #769
PS- I think that people pursue sponsors not to "have someone else pay for their pleasure", but to simply be ABLE to pursue their pleasure in this very expensive sport.

Bryan Norton
12-10-2003, 09:20 PM
I disagree.

I do agree there are two opposite opinions.
I am a 'weekend warrior'. I want to show up on my 1984 RZ350 and compete. I want to show up on my new MZ125 and race.
In the past I have raced newer bikes like SV650 when it first came out but prefer the stranger, and more vintage stuff.

Myself, I am not interested in $1500 cash purses in the big bike classes. Why? Becuase I probably won't ever be able to attain it. Think about it...if we pay out 5 places in a 50 rider field, thats 45 riders, or 90% of the field will be rewarded NOTHING.

In addition, it brings in outside talent that pushes me even further down the podium.

On the flip side, we have the Haners, Greens, Sanchez's etc that live for the contingency and cash purses in the dreams of sustaining a living on racing.

There must be a balance somewhere. When you begin to focus only on those who benefit, then the others are lost. This is why WERA/AMA, and CCS have(I guess CCS had) a national pro series which is completely seperated from their club series.

I would rather take the $1500 cash purse in each class and buy a transponder system which benefits all, or upgrade our equipment, or pay cornerworkers more so we could have a professional staff.

I am not saying to back away from contingency in the least! But these grandiose schemes of highly promoted, spectator popular events are not what the CMRA was founded on.

You see, for a spectator friendly event we can NOT have 20 races and 40 some-odd classes. WE would have to have less than half that, with a real trophy presentation and racer interviews during the day.

What I WOULD like to see is the CMRA grow to a level where they could begin to put on both a semi-pro series and a club series...
maybe start with one or two 'national' caliber level events in a year...with big purses, big promotion, allowing other licenses for the one event...have heat races for grid positions, and less than 10 classes total. The 'regular' club classes would either run on Saturday or not run at all on these 'national' events.

I'm not on the board anymore, so you can't flame me for it /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I've seen a lot of time,effort and personal money thrown at roadracing in high hopes of promotions. Ask any of the people who lost money with RPM. They did try, and they did several things really well. They forced the CMRA to step up and improve. But in the end it wasn't sustainable.

Think of two of the organizations that have been around for a long time, WERA and CMRA. Neither do heavy promoting. This isn't becuase it hasn't been tried.

And again, I do wan't to say the CMRA should never turn down contingency, sponsorship, or otherwise and it should continue to search out the same. I am working with several groups for sponsorships for next year in fact.

I want the CMRA to be preserved and continued in the tradition it has, CLUB level racing.

I don't want traffic problems in the pits, I don't want spectators stealing my stuff while I'm on the track, and I don't want my bike littered with mandatory stickers from companies who are not MY sponsors, but the club's sponsors.

Bryan Norton
12-10-2003, 09:20 PM
I disagree.

I do agree there are two opposite opinions.
I am a 'weekend warrior'. I want to show up on my 1984 RZ350 and compete. I want to show up on my new MZ125 and race.
In the past I have raced newer bikes like SV650 when it first came out but prefer the stranger, and more vintage stuff.

Myself, I am not interested in $1500 cash purses in the big bike classes. Why? Becuase I probably won't ever be able to attain it. Think about it...if we pay out 5 places in a 50 rider field, thats 45 riders, or 90% of the field will be rewarded NOTHING.

In addition, it brings in outside talent that pushes me even further down the podium.

On the flip side, we have the Haners, Greens, Sanchez's etc that live for the contingency and cash purses in the dreams of sustaining a living on racing.

There must be a balance somewhere. When you begin to focus only on those who benefit, then the others are lost. This is why WERA/AMA, and CCS have(I guess CCS had) a national pro series which is completely seperated from their club series.

I would rather take the $1500 cash purse in each class and buy a transponder system which benefits all, or upgrade our equipment, or pay cornerworkers more so we could have a professional staff.

I am not saying to back away from contingency in the least! But these grandiose schemes of highly promoted, spectator popular events are not what the CMRA was founded on.

You see, for a spectator friendly event we can NOT have 20 races and 40 some-odd classes. WE would have to have less than half that, with a real trophy presentation and racer interviews during the day.

What I WOULD like to see is the CMRA grow to a level where they could begin to put on both a semi-pro series and a club series...
maybe start with one or two 'national' caliber level events in a year...with big purses, big promotion, allowing other licenses for the one event...have heat races for grid positions, and less than 10 classes total. The 'regular' club classes would either run on Saturday or not run at all on these 'national' events.

I'm not on the board anymore, so you can't flame me for it /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I've seen a lot of time,effort and personal money thrown at roadracing in high hopes of promotions. Ask any of the people who lost money with RPM. They did try, and they did several things really well. They forced the CMRA to step up and improve. But in the end it wasn't sustainable.

Think of two of the organizations that have been around for a long time, WERA and CMRA. Neither do heavy promoting. This isn't becuase it hasn't been tried.

And again, I do wan't to say the CMRA should never turn down contingency, sponsorship, or otherwise and it should continue to search out the same. I am working with several groups for sponsorships for next year in fact.

I want the CMRA to be preserved and continued in the tradition it has, CLUB level racing.

I don't want traffic problems in the pits, I don't want spectators stealing my stuff while I'm on the track, and I don't want my bike littered with mandatory stickers from companies who are not MY sponsors, but the club's sponsors.

DwayneSowell
12-12-2003, 04:41 PM
I do not know about all this stuff, but I am working on a local club here in shreveport. It will have one big meeting with everyone and will give out information on both racing with CMRA and riding with Lone Star Track Days. It will also have info on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's riding coarses. This was brought to me at the Air Force base I am stationed at. I am taking the idea and pushing it. If anyone has ideas in the area please contact me.

DwayneSowell
12-12-2003, 04:41 PM
I do not know about all this stuff, but I am working on a local club here in shreveport. It will have one big meeting with everyone and will give out information on both racing with CMRA and riding with Lone Star Track Days. It will also have info on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's riding coarses. This was brought to me at the Air Force base I am stationed at. I am taking the idea and pushing it. If anyone has ideas in the area please contact me.

Barron Houston
12-12-2003, 09:14 PM
More promoting means more spectators, more spectators means more money, more money means more goodies and more overall spotlight and chance for advertising/ individual sponsorships. I'm for more promoting.

Barron Houston
12-12-2003, 09:14 PM
More promoting means more spectators, more spectators means more money, more money means more goodies and more overall spotlight and chance for advertising/ individual sponsorships. I'm for more promoting.

Barry Nichols
12-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Enjoy club racing for what it is....Club Racing. Hone your skills and and if you are in the 1/10th of 1% of racers who ever make money doing this, then God Bless and Cudos to you. Most of us "OldTimers" (defined by a new racer as someone who has been around the club for more than the typical three year burnout period) know what the rest of you will learn. Sponsors sponsor to benifit themselves, and sponsoring individual racers in large part does not fit that philosophy. Spectators, ie the general public really doesn't care about motorcycle racing. Motorcycle racing fans are another 1% club. Spectators do however make pit operations more complicated, ie. more staff, ie. more $$ to pay staff. I hand out schedules to everyone I meet who ride motorcycles, I seldom see them at the track. I have invited local shops and riding clubs to attend our events or promote them. No success. The local business owner cannot see the profit in pushing a roadracing club, there are too many dirtbike guys locally who spend green money. I appreciate the ferver of the new racer, keep it up and serve the club, but remember, most of these ideas are not new and if they are not being done there is probobly a reason why.

Barry Nichols
12-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Enjoy club racing for what it is....Club Racing. Hone your skills and and if you are in the 1/10th of 1% of racers who ever make money doing this, then God Bless and Cudos to you. Most of us "OldTimers" (defined by a new racer as someone who has been around the club for more than the typical three year burnout period) know what the rest of you will learn. Sponsors sponsor to benifit themselves, and sponsoring individual racers in large part does not fit that philosophy. Spectators, ie the general public really doesn't care about motorcycle racing. Motorcycle racing fans are another 1% club. Spectators do however make pit operations more complicated, ie. more staff, ie. more $$ to pay staff. I hand out schedules to everyone I meet who ride motorcycles, I seldom see them at the track. I have invited local shops and riding clubs to attend our events or promote them. No success. The local business owner cannot see the profit in pushing a roadracing club, there are too many dirtbike guys locally who spend green money. I appreciate the ferver of the new racer, keep it up and serve the club, but remember, most of these ideas are not new and if they are not being done there is probobly a reason why.

ysr612
12-14-2003, 06:11 PM
this is a little like scca sports car racing. Some of the best racing out there but no one will watch it.

ps I heard the only stolen bike they found at the great Oak Hill bust was that of a spectator

ysr612
12-14-2003, 06:11 PM
this is a little like scca sports car racing. Some of the best racing out there but no one will watch it.

ps I heard the only stolen bike they found at the great Oak Hill bust was that of a spectator

G-Man
12-16-2003, 11:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I appreciate the ferver of the new racer, keep it up and serve the club, but remember, most of these ideas are not new and if they are not being done there is probobly a reason why. </div></div>A man had the opportunity to watch his wife prepare one of her specialty meals one Sunday from start to finish with the hope of understanding exactly what she did that made the food so good. When it came time to prepare her "world-famous" pot roast, he noticed that even though she only purchased the very best cuts of meat, she immediatly cut app. 1.5" off each end of the pot roast prior to placing it in the pan. Curious as to exactly why she did that when there was no apparent reason, he asked his wife, "Why?". As she continued to prepare dinner, she stated that she wasn't really sure but that her mother had taught here to cook pot roast and she had always done it that way. After all, you couldn't argue with the results, could you?

Later that year, the husband had the opportunity to see his mother-in-law while she was preparing a meal for the extended family. As luck would have it, the night's menu called for the "world-famous" family pot roast. Sure enough, his mother-in-law promptly cut 1.5" of meat off each end of the roast and placed it in the oven. Remembering the question he posed to his wife, he asked his mother-in-law, "Why?". Her reponse mirrored his own wife's; her mother had taught her the secrets to making a great roast and you couldn't argue with the results.

Finally, at a celebration for his wife's grandmother's birthday, the whole family was getting together for one of Grandma's outstanding home-cooked meals. You guessed it, with pot roast as the main dish. The husband saw his opportunity to finally solve this mystery and caught his wife's grandmother as she was about to perform the ceremonial removal of 1.5" of meat from each end of the pot roast and quickly asked why she was about to cut 3" off a perfectly good roast.

His grandmother-in-law looked at him slighty perplexed and casually stated , "So it will fit in the roasting pan."

G-Man
12-16-2003, 11:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I appreciate the ferver of the new racer, keep it up and serve the club, but remember, most of these ideas are not new and if they are not being done there is probobly a reason why. </div></div>A man had the opportunity to watch his wife prepare one of her specialty meals one Sunday from start to finish with the hope of understanding exactly what she did that made the food so good. When it came time to prepare her "world-famous" pot roast, he noticed that even though she only purchased the very best cuts of meat, she immediatly cut app. 1.5" off each end of the pot roast prior to placing it in the pan. Curious as to exactly why she did that when there was no apparent reason, he asked his wife, "Why?". As she continued to prepare dinner, she stated that she wasn't really sure but that her mother had taught here to cook pot roast and she had always done it that way. After all, you couldn't argue with the results, could you?

Later that year, the husband had the opportunity to see his mother-in-law while she was preparing a meal for the extended family. As luck would have it, the night's menu called for the "world-famous" family pot roast. Sure enough, his mother-in-law promptly cut 1.5" of meat off each end of the roast and placed it in the oven. Remembering the question he posed to his wife, he asked his mother-in-law, "Why?". Her reponse mirrored his own wife's; her mother had taught her the secrets to making a great roast and you couldn't argue with the results.

Finally, at a celebration for his wife's grandmother's birthday, the whole family was getting together for one of Grandma's outstanding home-cooked meals. You guessed it, with pot roast as the main dish. The husband saw his opportunity to finally solve this mystery and caught his wife's grandmother as she was about to perform the ceremonial removal of 1.5" of meat from each end of the pot roast and quickly asked why she was about to cut 3" off a perfectly good roast.

His grandmother-in-law looked at him slighty perplexed and casually stated , "So it will fit in the roasting pan."

CYCLE 1
12-16-2003, 09:53 PM
Gordon,now I know what to get you for X-mas.
I had a sneaky feeling you were a Readers Digest
subcriber. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

CYCLE 1
12-16-2003, 09:53 PM
Gordon,now I know what to get you for X-mas.
I had a sneaky feeling you were a Readers Digest
subcriber. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Christopher Corder
12-17-2003, 08:07 AM
I have yet to turn a wheel in a race (hours of track days only so far) so I can still speak from an outsiders point of view (i think). I appreciate Greg's comments and find it noble that someone so new has the moxy to come up with new ideas (whether new to the veterans or not). I cant comment on contingency or prizes bc that is a long way away from where I sit as a Prov Nov. However, I can not support any effort to add addtional spectators/non-racers to CMRA events. The two CMRA races I have been to did not have proper facilities for spectating. Instead, the spectators are mixed with the racers in what I believe is a very dangerous combination. All it takes is one "accident" to happen and we have a problem much greater than promoting the club. MSR is the perfect example. Children on pit bikes, clueless non-racers wandering around the hot pit, bikes driving 30mph+ past the same clueless spectators. This is a recipe for disaster so I cannot support any effort that may bring more non-racers into an event that is not prepared for them.

Christopher Corder
12-17-2003, 08:07 AM
I have yet to turn a wheel in a race (hours of track days only so far) so I can still speak from an outsiders point of view (i think). I appreciate Greg's comments and find it noble that someone so new has the moxy to come up with new ideas (whether new to the veterans or not). I cant comment on contingency or prizes bc that is a long way away from where I sit as a Prov Nov. However, I can not support any effort to add addtional spectators/non-racers to CMRA events. The two CMRA races I have been to did not have proper facilities for spectating. Instead, the spectators are mixed with the racers in what I believe is a very dangerous combination. All it takes is one "accident" to happen and we have a problem much greater than promoting the club. MSR is the perfect example. Children on pit bikes, clueless non-racers wandering around the hot pit, bikes driving 30mph+ past the same clueless spectators. This is a recipe for disaster so I cannot support any effort that may bring more non-racers into an event that is not prepared for them.

DwayneSowell
12-17-2003, 07:01 PM
I can see your point. What I am wanting to do here in Shreveport is take some of the interest people to trackdays and let them decide if they are ready to race. I do hope to have some rides over to OHR during races to show people what it is all about, but my main goal is to get the guys that think they are fast on to the track!

DwayneSowell
12-17-2003, 07:01 PM
I can see your point. What I am wanting to do here in Shreveport is take some of the interest people to trackdays and let them decide if they are ready to race. I do hope to have some rides over to OHR during races to show people what it is all about, but my main goal is to get the guys that think they are fast on to the track!

ducatiracerx
12-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Actually, I took this on this month including the Webmaster position. I am working directly with Steve Macman to work out our marketing packets for promotion, along with I have already contacted Texmoto, The Dallas Morning news and several other organizations.

I plan to contact Speedvision with the idea of a club racing segment...and what better group to follow??? The CMRA of course!

We are already working on this. I haven't mentioned anything because Steve and I are working out some of the initial kinks....but I would greatly appreciate your ideas and help on this work.

Anything can help, and I can tell you I will need help.

We are also going to be putting together promotional cards to put up at your local dealerships primarily here in Texas but any other local states we can get into can't hurt.

These are some of the things we are working on please feel free to suggest…

Get back to me with your ideas.

Thanks,
Scott Halpenny
www.texasmotosport.com (http://www.texasmotosport.com)
scott@texasmotosport.com
(512)689-4813

ducatiracerx
12-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Actually, I took this on this month including the Webmaster position. I am working directly with Steve Macman to work out our marketing packets for promotion, along with I have already contacted Texmoto, The Dallas Morning news and several other organizations.

I plan to contact Speedvision with the idea of a club racing segment...and what better group to follow??? The CMRA of course!

We are already working on this. I haven't mentioned anything because Steve and I are working out some of the initial kinks....but I would greatly appreciate your ideas and help on this work.

Anything can help, and I can tell you I will need help.

We are also going to be putting together promotional cards to put up at your local dealerships primarily here in Texas but any other local states we can get into can't hurt.

These are some of the things we are working on please feel free to suggest…

Get back to me with your ideas.

Thanks,
Scott Halpenny
www.texasmotosport.com (http://www.texasmotosport.com)
scott@texasmotosport.com
(512)689-4813

Noah Reese
01-24-2004, 05:45 AM
Scott Hallpeny and Slade Gardner: Have been trying to obtain promotional packets for several weeks. I need them to give our non-profit info to about 5 local radion stations who have time set aside for free non-proft organization advertsing. Please advise. Noah Reese 903 245 3363.

Noah Reese
01-24-2004, 05:45 AM
Scott Hallpeny and Slade Gardner: Have been trying to obtain promotional packets for several weeks. I need them to give our non-profit info to about 5 local radion stations who have time set aside for free non-proft organization advertsing. Please advise. Noah Reese 903 245 3363.

Barron Houston
01-24-2004, 09:00 AM
I did a little "testing of the waters" and spoke to the VP personnel relations guy while I was picking up some race fuel. I presented the concept that sportbike racing was an up and coming sport and that we were trying to promote it more to bring in more overall exposure, hence more money and business. The guy was kinda clueless and worried about more sales and tracking contingency..the conversation kept coming back to the tracking thing, while I was venturing into joint advertising and things like "Brought to you by VP Racing Fuels and the CMRA". I could tell I was speaking to a guy that only thinks in one dimension. I think we should hit up on more of the racing oriented vendors in the industry. After all, more exposure means more money for them in the long run.

Barron Houston
01-24-2004, 09:00 AM
I did a little "testing of the waters" and spoke to the VP personnel relations guy while I was picking up some race fuel. I presented the concept that sportbike racing was an up and coming sport and that we were trying to promote it more to bring in more overall exposure, hence more money and business. The guy was kinda clueless and worried about more sales and tracking contingency..the conversation kept coming back to the tracking thing, while I was venturing into joint advertising and things like "Brought to you by VP Racing Fuels and the CMRA". I could tell I was speaking to a guy that only thinks in one dimension. I think we should hit up on more of the racing oriented vendors in the industry. After all, more exposure means more money for them in the long run.

Bryan Norton
01-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Uh, Barron, VP already has a contingency program with CMRA. I'm not sure if it's run through VP direct, but someone on the main msg board has the details.

Bryan Norton
01-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Uh, Barron, VP already has a contingency program with CMRA. I'm not sure if it's run through VP direct, but someone on the main msg board has the details.

Nick Chapman
01-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Not trying to step on any toe's. But here is my $.02

I have tried numerous times to get the CMRA to promote the events. I have even offered a pretty much free package to get a good hour of radio time on a local major radio station the week before an event.

Not one person from the CMRA's BOD has replied to my offer. So I gave up.
In my opinion, they do not want to promote their events.

Nick Chapman
01-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Not trying to step on any toe's. But here is my $.02

I have tried numerous times to get the CMRA to promote the events. I have even offered a pretty much free package to get a good hour of radio time on a local major radio station the week before an event.

Not one person from the CMRA's BOD has replied to my offer. So I gave up.
In my opinion, they do not want to promote their events.

Mike Wright
01-24-2004, 10:29 AM
What are we promoting? More contingency money and more racers to race with us? Those are good things.

If we're going on the radio to tell 10,000 spectators to show up at, say Oak Hill, that is not so good to some of us. Friends and family are great, but we don't need the radio to get them to come out. The pits are crowded enough as it is. The BOD has already said we don't make money on spectators because of the increased insurance cost.

I read the Dallas Morning News every day. Valentino Rossi, the Haydens nor any other great road racer were mentioned all season last year in their sports section. If you like the publicity of having your name in the paper, golf is a far better sport (sic).

Mike Wright
01-24-2004, 10:29 AM
What are we promoting? More contingency money and more racers to race with us? Those are good things.

If we're going on the radio to tell 10,000 spectators to show up at, say Oak Hill, that is not so good to some of us. Friends and family are great, but we don't need the radio to get them to come out. The pits are crowded enough as it is. The BOD has already said we don't make money on spectators because of the increased insurance cost.

I read the Dallas Morning News every day. Valentino Rossi, the Haydens nor any other great road racer were mentioned all season last year in their sports section. If you like the publicity of having your name in the paper, golf is a far better sport (sic).

Nick Chapman
01-24-2004, 10:55 AM
You would not know very much about Valentino Rossi without advertisement.

I am not saying that advertising our club's events would be a good thing or a bad thing. I just saw that some people were asking for better promotions, and I offered what I had available.

I really do not think that our racers are really worried about getting their name in the paper. But, what they do want is more contingency, more payouts per event. And advertising would bring that to our events.

Nick Chapman
01-24-2004, 10:55 AM
You would not know very much about Valentino Rossi without advertisement.

I am not saying that advertising our club's events would be a good thing or a bad thing. I just saw that some people were asking for better promotions, and I offered what I had available.

I really do not think that our racers are really worried about getting their name in the paper. But, what they do want is more contingency, more payouts per event. And advertising would bring that to our events.

Joseph Browning
01-24-2004, 12:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Barry Nichols:
Enjoy club racing for what it is....Club Racing. </div></div>Amen, brother. 99.999% of us will never make a penny racing. That said, there is nothing that should push the idea of promoting away. Where I think we need to promote is in the endurance series and upgrading technology. I think my desire to have local media cover our races is mostly self serving. I think we need to focus this year on developing relationships with sponsors and upgrading technology and presentation so that we can free up valuable man hours to dedicate to promotion down the road. Speaking as someone who views the CMRA as a valuable audience I can assure you that there are MANY companies who are willing to jump on board as sponsors of the series if they can see the ROI. Let's show them by supporting the folks who sponsor riders and the series.

As far as supporting individual riders, there's very little that we as a club can do. Even if we wanted to do something to push our highest talent to the next level it's up to the individual to market themselves to potential "paycheck writing" sponsors.

I'm on board to support this club, 100%.

Joseph Browning
01-24-2004, 12:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Barry Nichols:
Enjoy club racing for what it is....Club Racing. </div></div>Amen, brother. 99.999% of us will never make a penny racing. That said, there is nothing that should push the idea of promoting away. Where I think we need to promote is in the endurance series and upgrading technology. I think my desire to have local media cover our races is mostly self serving. I think we need to focus this year on developing relationships with sponsors and upgrading technology and presentation so that we can free up valuable man hours to dedicate to promotion down the road. Speaking as someone who views the CMRA as a valuable audience I can assure you that there are MANY companies who are willing to jump on board as sponsors of the series if they can see the ROI. Let's show them by supporting the folks who sponsor riders and the series.

As far as supporting individual riders, there's very little that we as a club can do. Even if we wanted to do something to push our highest talent to the next level it's up to the individual to market themselves to potential "paycheck writing" sponsors.

I'm on board to support this club, 100%.

Barron Houston
01-24-2004, 10:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Joe Browning:

I'm on board to support this club, 100%. </div></div>That's the way I see it.

Barron Houston
01-24-2004, 10:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Joe Browning:

I'm on board to support this club, 100%. </div></div>That's the way I see it.

GreSam
02-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Companies provide contingency money to us because they expect a return on the investment, or increased product usage, for the discounts they offer.

By advertising a little we are not going to draw large volumes of people to the track, but if we advertise a little it gives the companies more value and can, of course, draw new riders and their families to the sport.

Most of us will not make money doing this? No kidding. But wouldn't it be nice if you could spend a little bit less? Just because we run a radio spot does not mean 10K people, or 10 people will show up at an event and create some horrid insurance nightmare... When you tell a potential class sponsor or contingency sponsor that you are running some radio ads, it makes them think their money/product will go a little farther.

As for not seeing NP coverage of MotoGP and AMA... the only way editors know we exist is if we let them know we are out here. Its not about "seeing your name in the paper" as someone suggested, its about offering value.

Speed dropped Two Wheel Tuesday (race replays) because they could not make any money selling advertising for the shows. No companies saw value because there was no viewership... we're not Speed but we do represent the sport. If we want to see racing coverage on TV we need to let companies know that we are out here racing, that we spend money and that we might spend money on their products if we see them supporting a sport we enjoy.

Relax. We are not trying to become the AMA, but we do need to have some support so that we do not end up having to realign with CCS in 2 years.

What would you all say if we lost all of our contingency programs and had no support of any kind from manufacturers, products, etc.? Would you then all get on some thread and rant and rave about how not enough was done, or would you be even more content because the CMRA was now truly "club racing"?

GreSam
02-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Companies provide contingency money to us because they expect a return on the investment, or increased product usage, for the discounts they offer.

By advertising a little we are not going to draw large volumes of people to the track, but if we advertise a little it gives the companies more value and can, of course, draw new riders and their families to the sport.

Most of us will not make money doing this? No kidding. But wouldn't it be nice if you could spend a little bit less? Just because we run a radio spot does not mean 10K people, or 10 people will show up at an event and create some horrid insurance nightmare... When you tell a potential class sponsor or contingency sponsor that you are running some radio ads, it makes them think their money/product will go a little farther.

As for not seeing NP coverage of MotoGP and AMA... the only way editors know we exist is if we let them know we are out here. Its not about "seeing your name in the paper" as someone suggested, its about offering value.

Speed dropped Two Wheel Tuesday (race replays) because they could not make any money selling advertising for the shows. No companies saw value because there was no viewership... we're not Speed but we do represent the sport. If we want to see racing coverage on TV we need to let companies know that we are out here racing, that we spend money and that we might spend money on their products if we see them supporting a sport we enjoy.

Relax. We are not trying to become the AMA, but we do need to have some support so that we do not end up having to realign with CCS in 2 years.

What would you all say if we lost all of our contingency programs and had no support of any kind from manufacturers, products, etc.? Would you then all get on some thread and rant and rave about how not enough was done, or would you be even more content because the CMRA was now truly "club racing"?

darick
02-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Gregg,

Have you thought about runnin for BOD? I like the way you think /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

darick
02-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Gregg,

Have you thought about runnin for BOD? I like the way you think /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

CYCLE 1
02-04-2004, 10:20 PM

Same thing I did in the late seventies and early eighties. Show up, line up, race! :p

CYCLE 1
02-04-2004, 10:20 PM

Same thing I did in the late seventies and early eighties. Show up, line up, race! :p

panthercity
02-05-2004, 06:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Scott Levine:

Same thing I did in the late seventies and early eighties. Show up, line up, race! :p </div></div>Exactly!!!

panthercity
02-05-2004, 06:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Scott Levine:

Same thing I did in the late seventies and early eighties. Show up, line up, race! :p </div></div>Exactly!!!

GreSam
02-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Honestly, I'm really glad you guys feel that way! When I raced karts & AutoX we had no support and actually spent about the same kind of money chasing championships.

Having said that, I guess I see this as being a new day and age and the opportunity to bring in a little sponsor help (for the CMRA, not just one rider or one single class) is a plus.

I know that we can't change the way people feel, but we can try to show you that there is another way to do things without ruining this amazing club. And, if all else fails, you get to rub it in if things don't go well... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif (But I doubt that will happen.)

GreSam
02-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Honestly, I'm really glad you guys feel that way! When I raced karts & AutoX we had no support and actually spent about the same kind of money chasing championships.

Having said that, I guess I see this as being a new day and age and the opportunity to bring in a little sponsor help (for the CMRA, not just one rider or one single class) is a plus.

I know that we can't change the way people feel, but we can try to show you that there is another way to do things without ruining this amazing club. And, if all else fails, you get to rub it in if things don't go well... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif (But I doubt that will happen.)