PDA

View Full Version : Friday practice at MSR?

TXFZ1
01-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Any thoughts about having a racer only practice at MSR on the Friday before the race. WERA does this for the nationals and we do at Hallett also?

It would help those of us that need the track time and help save some money as we don't have to make a special trip to utilize one the trackday orgs events.

David

TXFZ1
01-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Any thoughts about having a racer only practice at MSR on the Friday before the race. WERA does this for the nationals and we do at Hallett also?

It would help those of us that need the track time and help save some money as we don't have to make a special trip to utilize one the trackday orgs events.

David

Christopher Corder
01-06-2004, 08:38 AM
good idea but i dont think it will happen. The members of MSR will probably not be willing to give up a member day on a weekend where they lose a Saturday and Sunday due to CMRA races. I will tell you though that I was there as a guest of a friend the Friday of the season closer and the track was thick with CMRA racers, most of which were not members.

Christopher Corder
01-06-2004, 08:38 AM
good idea but i dont think it will happen. The members of MSR will probably not be willing to give up a member day on a weekend where they lose a Saturday and Sunday due to CMRA races. I will tell you though that I was there as a guest of a friend the Friday of the season closer and the track was thick with CMRA racers, most of which were not members.

Steve McNamara
01-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Chris hit the nail right on the head.

Steve McNamara
01-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Chris hit the nail right on the head.

TXFZ1
01-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Well gee whiz, that makes a lot of sense. The members don't want to give up the Friday before a CMRA race weekend but allow a bunch of bootleg CMRA racers to take over their Friday trackday.

Can y'all post a cross-reference list so the rest of us can make some Cree$$on buddies? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

David

TXFZ1
01-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Well gee whiz, that makes a lot of sense. The members don't want to give up the Friday before a CMRA race weekend but allow a bunch of bootleg CMRA racers to take over their Friday trackday.

Can y'all post a cross-reference list so the rest of us can make some Cree$$on buddies? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

David

Brooks Gremmels
01-09-2004, 11:06 AM
For what it's worth, season before last I invited all CMRA members to be my guests at MSR on the Friday before our race weekend (first time to run the track clockwise). All I asked was that the riders pay for the track time. Although several members repaid me, most didn't. The experience cost me about $1,500. I'm out this time.
Brooks

Brooks Gremmels
01-09-2004, 11:06 AM
For what it's worth, season before last I invited all CMRA members to be my guests at MSR on the Friday before our race weekend (first time to run the track clockwise). All I asked was that the riders pay for the track time. Although several members repaid me, most didn't. The experience cost me about $1,500. I'm out this time.
Brooks

Christopher Corder
01-09-2004, 11:20 AM
I think Brooks reply explains why the "bootleg" riders were there.

Sorry to hear about that Brooks. I was there that day and it was very crowded with CMRA riders. Little did I know they were riding on your dime. Bummer.

Christopher Corder
01-09-2004, 11:20 AM
I think Brooks reply explains why the "bootleg" riders were there.

Sorry to hear about that Brooks. I was there that day and it was very crowded with CMRA riders. Little did I know they were riding on your dime. Bummer.

waytooslow
01-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Brooks,

That is unbelievable that any guest (s) would stiff you and leave you holding the bag.... sorry to hear that... shame on those that did.

Pony up boys...

Scott

waytooslow
01-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Brooks,

That is unbelievable that any guest (s) would stiff you and leave you holding the bag.... sorry to hear that... shame on those that did.

Pony up boys...

Scott

Mike Wright
01-09-2004, 02:41 PM
At the races in Oct. Jack Farr, the owner, had a "happy hour" at the end of the day Friday for the CMRA racers who were there. Nobody was bootlegging. There is no way to do that unless someone is nice enough to invite you (in which case you should pay them for their costs!). I can't remember what the charge was for the happy hour, but it was over an hour of open track time.

Jack loves bikes and is very supportive of us. He rides A LOT and mentioned he would do an endurance race if someone invited him to ride on their team. He certainly knows the track and that might get you some track time as well.

Mike Wright
01-09-2004, 02:41 PM
At the races in Oct. Jack Farr, the owner, had a "happy hour" at the end of the day Friday for the CMRA racers who were there. Nobody was bootlegging. There is no way to do that unless someone is nice enough to invite you (in which case you should pay them for their costs!). I can't remember what the charge was for the happy hour, but it was over an hour of open track time.

Jack loves bikes and is very supportive of us. He rides A LOT and mentioned he would do an endurance race if someone invited him to ride on their team. He certainly knows the track and that might get you some track time as well.

Brooks Gremmels
01-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Jack has indeed been a good friend to the CMRA. Because MSR is a member-owned facility, the dates that are available for third party events are tightly controlled. The CMRA was given what amounted to an "exclusive" as the only motorcycle roadracing club to use the facility. Jack as worked hard to arrange the MSR schedule to accommodate our preferred race dates. He is a champ in my book.
On this subject, the one complaint Jack has repeatedly voiced about our use of his facility is that our group creates the biggest mess of any of the renters. At the last race for instance, there were racers washing the mud off their boots in the lavitories and showers. The bathroom was a disaster according to some of our own members. Jack had to hire extra help to clean-up the trash and mud. He has talked about charging us an additional fee to pay for cleaning up after us next season.
Don't you think we can do better than this if the conciousness about this issue is raised?
Brooks
PS, those were not "bootleg" riders who left me holding the old bag. It was our own members. I still have the list of riders on my desk. No hard feelings on my part, just a lesson learned.
Brooks

Brooks Gremmels
01-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Jack has indeed been a good friend to the CMRA. Because MSR is a member-owned facility, the dates that are available for third party events are tightly controlled. The CMRA was given what amounted to an "exclusive" as the only motorcycle roadracing club to use the facility. Jack as worked hard to arrange the MSR schedule to accommodate our preferred race dates. He is a champ in my book.
On this subject, the one complaint Jack has repeatedly voiced about our use of his facility is that our group creates the biggest mess of any of the renters. At the last race for instance, there were racers washing the mud off their boots in the lavitories and showers. The bathroom was a disaster according to some of our own members. Jack had to hire extra help to clean-up the trash and mud. He has talked about charging us an additional fee to pay for cleaning up after us next season.
Don't you think we can do better than this if the conciousness about this issue is raised?
Brooks
PS, those were not "bootleg" riders who left me holding the old bag. It was our own members. I still have the list of riders on my desk. No hard feelings on my part, just a lesson learned.
Brooks

TXFZ1
01-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Well, with the 3 MSR races scheduled this year it would seem to me that more racers would want to attend a Friday trackday, MSR would get paid for cleaning the bathrooms, and all interested racers would have a better chance to learn the track.

So how could I or anybody else get an invite to this happy hour?

Sorry, you got stiffed but most trackdays make you pay first. Just another positive point to me of why there should be a trackday.

David

TXFZ1
01-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Well, with the 3 MSR races scheduled this year it would seem to me that more racers would want to attend a Friday trackday, MSR would get paid for cleaning the bathrooms, and all interested racers would have a better chance to learn the track.

So how could I or anybody else get an invite to this happy hour?

Sorry, you got stiffed but most trackdays make you pay first. Just another positive point to me of why there should be a trackday.

David

Brooks Gremmels
01-10-2004, 10:34 AM
The CMRA does not conduct track days. There are scheduling, staffing and resource issues that the club simply doesn't need. Whether it is riders who may not have paid for their track time or a downpour that discourages riders from spending money in the first place, the bottom line is the same.
Brooks

Brooks Gremmels
01-10-2004, 10:34 AM
The CMRA does not conduct track days. There are scheduling, staffing and resource issues that the club simply doesn't need. Whether it is riders who may not have paid for their track time or a downpour that discourages riders from spending money in the first place, the bottom line is the same.
Brooks

TXFZ1
01-12-2004, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the info.

Any thoughts of working with any trackday org and MSR to allow a trackday to be scheduled on the Friday before the MSR races (like Hallet). This would help save the out-of-town racers extra trips/hotels to MSR to learn the different track/direction. In the long run, it would benefit the CMRA as it is an expensive hobby. Cut out the extra costs where possible.

David

TXFZ1
01-12-2004, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the info.

Any thoughts of working with any trackday org and MSR to allow a trackday to be scheduled on the Friday before the MSR races (like Hallet). This would help save the out-of-town racers extra trips/hotels to MSR to learn the different track/direction. In the long run, it would benefit the CMRA as it is an expensive hobby. Cut out the extra costs where possible.

David