PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Flag and Checkered Flag

06-06-2005, 12:55 PM
During the Formula 2 sprint on June 5 at MSR, there was a waving yellow flag right near the end of the race. Apparently the checkered flag came down at the starting line, as the race leader crossed start/finish. Because the cornerworkers were displaying the yellow flags, some riders such as myself, could still be "racing" even though the race is now technically complete. In a case like this, wear a yellow flag is out near the end of the race, might in the future, a second cornerworker be instructed to put out the checkered flag as well? Thanks.

06-06-2005, 12:55 PM
During the Formula 2 sprint on June 5 at MSR, there was a waving yellow flag right near the end of the race. Apparently the checkered flag came down at the starting line, as the race leader crossed start/finish. Because the cornerworkers were displaying the yellow flags, some riders such as myself, could still be "racing" even though the race is now technically complete. In a case like this, wear a yellow flag is out near the end of the race, might in the future, a second cornerworker be instructed to put out the checkered flag as well? Thanks.

06-06-2005, 01:04 PM
what purpose would that serve? If you haven't seen the checkered yet (and you're on the same lap as the leader), then you should still be racing. You just have to still obey the rules regarding passing under waving yellow (which incidentally should have been a standing yellow if I'm not mistaken). Having more than one checkered flag would be awfully confusing /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

06-06-2005, 01:04 PM
what purpose would that serve? If you haven't seen the checkered yet (and you're on the same lap as the leader), then you should still be racing. You just have to still obey the rules regarding passing under waving yellow (which incidentally should have been a standing yellow if I'm not mistaken). Having more than one checkered flag would be awfully confusing /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

06-06-2005, 01:11 PM
David - that was sort of what I thought too...race until see the checkered flag at start/finish - but I heard a comment that suggested something different. Thanks.

BOD - disregard.

06-06-2005, 01:11 PM
David - that was sort of what I thought too...race until see the checkered flag at start/finish - but I heard a comment that suggested something different. Thanks.

BOD - disregard.

Steven Alexander
06-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey I really don't know what the situation was, I was in the corner after the Start line, but man some of these people that the CMRA lets corner working is a joke. I saw all kinds of screw ups. Most of these people don't race, so they wave the yellow, when they shouldn't be, and once I saw a corner waving a yellow when the incident was 3 corners from them. I didn't understand that one at all. I even saw one guy walking around in the grass looking for parts, and he was probaly 6 feet off the track and it was clearly the impact zone, I had just looked over at the corner to see Ty fly past there corner, and that idiot was in the impact zone looking through the grass. So yeah, I think they should take corner working alot more serious, quit letting just anybody that wants to go out on the track,

Steven Alexander
06-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey I really don't know what the situation was, I was in the corner after the Start line, but man some of these people that the CMRA lets corner working is a joke. I saw all kinds of screw ups. Most of these people don't race, so they wave the yellow, when they shouldn't be, and once I saw a corner waving a yellow when the incident was 3 corners from them. I didn't understand that one at all. I even saw one guy walking around in the grass looking for parts, and he was probaly 6 feet off the track and it was clearly the impact zone, I had just looked over at the corner to see Ty fly past there corner, and that idiot was in the impact zone looking through the grass. So yeah, I think they should take corner working alot more serious, quit letting just anybody that wants to go out on the track,

Walter Walker
06-07-2005, 12:16 AM
Ok Steven, get in touch with Barry Nichols ASAP so he can get you on the cornerworking list for Oak Hill. Sounds like your an expert at it.

Walter Walker
06-07-2005, 12:16 AM
Ok Steven, get in touch with Barry Nichols ASAP so he can get you on the cornerworking list for Oak Hill. Sounds like your an expert at it.

cedestech
06-07-2005, 06:17 AM
I'm sure the BoD and the club would be more then
happy to accept donations to pay professional corner workers. Until then I believe
we'll have to accept some mistakes from the
"joking"/"free" corner workers...

cedestech
06-07-2005, 06:17 AM
I'm sure the BoD and the club would be more then
happy to accept donations to pay professional corner workers. Until then I believe
we'll have to accept some mistakes from the
"joking"/"free" corner workers...

06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
just a thought...

I think it might help if some of us who have specific suggestions/instructions for the corner workers attended the corner worker meeting and brought those up there. I know those meetings can often be rushed and one person can't always remember everything of importance. Kinda like the prov nov meetings... experts and novices are encouraged to attend those and put in their $.02 of wisdom...

I'm sure if a few guys expressed their concerns at the next corner worker meeting (quickly of course /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif , maybe it would help impress upon the CW's just how important their job is and that it should not be taken lightly...

06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
just a thought...

I think it might help if some of us who have specific suggestions/instructions for the corner workers attended the corner worker meeting and brought those up there. I know those meetings can often be rushed and one person can't always remember everything of importance. Kinda like the prov nov meetings... experts and novices are encouraged to attend those and put in their $.02 of wisdom...

I'm sure if a few guys expressed their concerns at the next corner worker meeting (quickly of course /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif , maybe it would help impress upon the CW's just how important their job is and that it should not be taken lightly...

Walter Walker
06-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Barry does an excellent job of briefing the cornerworkers with a specific set of instructions for each track. More people trying to give instructions would just cause confusion. During the day Race Control directs the cornerworkers over the radio. Race Control calls for flags when and where they are needed. Race Control also decides if the flag will be waving or not and how many turns in advance of the incident flags will be displayed. Cornerworkers cannot call for a red flag, only Race Control is allowed to say the words "RED FLAG" over the radio. Most of our cornerworkers are volunteers but I belive the do a fine job. Don't forget, without them we don't race. One of the best things you can do is wave at the cornersworkers and let them know that we appreciate their hard work.

Walter Walker
06-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Barry does an excellent job of briefing the cornerworkers with a specific set of instructions for each track. More people trying to give instructions would just cause confusion. During the day Race Control directs the cornerworkers over the radio. Race Control calls for flags when and where they are needed. Race Control also decides if the flag will be waving or not and how many turns in advance of the incident flags will be displayed. Cornerworkers cannot call for a red flag, only Race Control is allowed to say the words "RED FLAG" over the radio. Most of our cornerworkers are volunteers but I belive the do a fine job. Don't forget, without them we don't race. One of the best things you can do is wave at the cornersworkers and let them know that we appreciate their hard work.