PDA

View Full Version : Blue Flags

Tony Wang
06-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Would it be possible to start using blue flags in the combined races where Experts and Novice classes are mixed? The reason I ask, is because I know there have been times where lapped, usually Novice and Prov-Nov, riders have interfered with the battle up front in the Expert race. I'm pretty sure I was one of several riders which probably cost Ty the race in the Superstock A Ex/Nov race at Hallett... I would have gladly moved out of the way if I would have known that him and Shannon were coming up behind me.

Tony Wang
06-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Would it be possible to start using blue flags in the combined races where Experts and Novice classes are mixed? The reason I ask, is because I know there have been times where lapped, usually Novice and Prov-Nov, riders have interfered with the battle up front in the Expert race. I'm pretty sure I was one of several riders which probably cost Ty the race in the Superstock A Ex/Nov race at Hallett... I would have gladly moved out of the way if I would have known that him and Shannon were coming up behind me.

Linz Leard
06-15-2005, 11:50 AM
The CMRA staff has talked of this before and is, I believe, generally of the mid-set that for CMRA sprints, while lapping does happen, it doesn't happen at the same frequency as longer professional races. Thus, the perceived need is lower for blue flags.

However, lapping does happen, but adding a blue flag to the mix and suggesting that a racer move over for faster traffic is probably a worse solution for club racing than putting the onus of passing safely on the faster rider. If you're being passed, holding your line is safer and more important than trying to move out of the way.

Walter Walker and Barry Nichols probably agree with me, but I'll turn the floor over to them anyway.

Linz Leard
06-15-2005, 11:50 AM
The CMRA staff has talked of this before and is, I believe, generally of the mid-set that for CMRA sprints, while lapping does happen, it doesn't happen at the same frequency as longer professional races. Thus, the perceived need is lower for blue flags.

However, lapping does happen, but adding a blue flag to the mix and suggesting that a racer move over for faster traffic is probably a worse solution for club racing than putting the onus of passing safely on the faster rider. If you're being passed, holding your line is safer and more important than trying to move out of the way.

Walter Walker and Barry Nichols probably agree with me, but I'll turn the floor over to them anyway.

Jason Keene
06-15-2005, 05:14 PM
IMHO... the blue flag could cause a bigger problem than actually finding a way around someone... People up front.... should be predictable... seeing a blue flag changes that...

Jason Keene
06-15-2005, 05:14 PM
IMHO... the blue flag could cause a bigger problem than actually finding a way around someone... People up front.... should be predictable... seeing a blue flag changes that...

hasbury81
06-15-2005, 05:59 PM
I have to agree with Jason. Who knows what someone would do if they actually knew they were getting lapped? They may end up right where you were going to pass them. Not all passing happens on the inside especially with lapped riders... IMHO....

hasbury81
06-15-2005, 05:59 PM
I have to agree with Jason. Who knows what someone would do if they actually knew they were getting lapped? They may end up right where you were going to pass them. Not all passing happens on the inside especially with lapped riders... IMHO....

jroberts5407
06-15-2005, 06:26 PM
FWIW I agree, a blue flag would probably do more harm than good. If you held your line when they lapped you, no worries IMO.

jroberts5407
06-15-2005, 06:26 PM
FWIW I agree, a blue flag would probably do more harm than good. If you held your line when they lapped you, no worries IMO.

Justin Molet
06-15-2005, 06:40 PM
it also makes it that much harder for the corner workers to keep track of whats going on and could add to more confusion for the racers. i just know that on the last lap i better get ready to be passed!

Justin Molet
06-15-2005, 06:40 PM
it also makes it that much harder for the corner workers to keep track of whats going on and could add to more confusion for the racers. i just know that on the last lap i better get ready to be passed!

CYCLE 1
06-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Tony, you may be having your own race, so just keep your head down and run your race. The faster guy's will get around you and understand sometimes a lapper will work for you and sometimes against you, it is all part of the show.

Scott

CYCLE 1
06-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Tony, you may be having your own race, so just keep your head down and run your race. The faster guy's will get around you and understand sometimes a lapper will work for you and sometimes against you, it is all part of the show.

Scott

Tony Wang
06-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I had been curious as to why the CMRA hadn't been running blue flags, but it makes sense how, at our level, it may make things a bit more dangerous.

One of the main reasons I brought it up was because, I know I can be kinda hard to get around sometimes, but other times riders can get around me like I wasn't even there. I'd just hate to cause an expert rider from winning a battle up simply because I got in their way...

Tony Wang
06-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I had been curious as to why the CMRA hadn't been running blue flags, but it makes sense how, at our level, it may make things a bit more dangerous.

One of the main reasons I brought it up was because, I know I can be kinda hard to get around sometimes, but other times riders can get around me like I wasn't even there. I'd just hate to cause an expert rider from winning a battle up simply because I got in their way...

Jonathan Wright
06-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Hey man. Good sentiment but like Scott says, it's part of the show and 'in race' strategy for the leaders.

Jonathan Wright
06-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Hey man. Good sentiment but like Scott says, it's part of the show and 'in race' strategy for the leaders.