PDA

View Full Version : READ THIS! BBS Posting privleges

JesseJohnson
01-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Cutoff Date: Feb 23rd, 2004

All users who have not renewed their membership or joined the club will lose their posting privleges after the first race weekend.

Also, any new user who did not enter their first and last names in the public display name will not be approved. If you didn't do this, send me an email and I will make the appropriate change before approval.

NEW users (I.E. Those of you who have never been in the club before, or have never been on the BBS):
Be polite, do not flame, no obscene posts, NO advertising for other clubs. Do not post commercial advertising. Your posts, and the privlege to post, can and will be removed without warning for violating these rules or the acceptable usage agreement when you signed up for the BBS.

Any questions, feel free to send me an email.

Jess

Blake
01-21-2004, 03:24 AM
I'd like to question, once again, why it is necessary to have our full names on display in a public forum? You know who we are, we know who we are. I'd MUCH prefer if my full name were not on display on the internet. Please reconsider that "rule."

Blake

JesseJohnson
01-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Why, what do you have to hide?

Jess

Christopher Corder
01-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Jess, tell me if I am wrong here.

In BBS enviornments that do not require real names you generally have considerably more name calling, bashing, flaming, etc. Most BBS admins have discovered that when you require a person to put a real name in place they have a tendency to not flame quite so much.

Also, dont assume everybody knows each other. You and I dont know each other from a hole in the ground. :p

Rich Desmond
01-21-2004, 01:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Blake Rudy:
I'd like to question, once again, why it is necessary to have our full names on display in a public forum? You know who we are, we know who we are. I'd MUCH prefer if my full name were not on display on the internet. Please reconsider that "rule."

Blake </div></div>I've always used my full, real name on the web, and before that on CompuServe forums and usenet. Never seems to have caused any problems.

JesseJohnson
01-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Chris you said it much more succinctly than I could have.

Jess

Christopher Corder
01-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Yep, anonimity gives you balls. That is why I am going to race with a paper bag on my head. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

panthercity
01-21-2004, 04:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jess Johnson:
Cutoff Date: Feb 23rd, 2004

All users who have not renewed their membership or joined the club will lose their posting privleges after the first race weekend. </div></div>So, come the end of February, after almost 30 years, I'll no longer be allowed to correspond with you fine young folks?

Sad, sad, sad.

Do what ya' gotta do.

cedestech
01-21-2004, 04:25 PM
A associate membership is $75 and gives you
voting and posting rights.

Nancy Selleck
01-21-2004, 05:17 PM
An Associate Membership is only $50 and includes the Inside Line, posting rights on the Message Board, voting rights and a free one-year subscription to Roadracing World.

Smoking deal! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

anthony c smith
01-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Wow, only $50!! The cover price of Rooadracing World alone is $3.99. Lets see, $3.99 a 12 months = $47.82. The CMRA associate membership sounds like a smokin deal for sure Nancy!

Jack Giesecke
01-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Bob, I think I'm gonna cry, dude... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif But, you have my e-mail address, or at least I have yours. My hotmail box is screwed up right now. And, there's always the WERA board. I've dropped my WERA license, but I still use the BBS over there once in a long while.

panthercity
01-22-2004, 09:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jack Giesecke:
Bob, I think I'm gonna cry, dude... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif But, you have my e-mail address, or at least I have yours. My hotmail box is screwed up right now. And, there's always the WERA board. I've dropped my WERA license, but I still use the BBS over there once in a long while. </div></div>Don't cry, Jack, you'll rust your forks.

Jess and Brooks and I went through this back in September of `02. And I understand that they've gotta exercise some control over this board.

See, I misunderstood what everyone was sayin'. I thought they were sayin' I was a "special case." Turns out my hearin' is bad and they were sayin' I'm a "nut case."

JesseJohnson
02-23-2004, 05:15 PM
Just a reminder

I'll be removing all non-current members either tonight or tomorrow night. If you get cut-off and should not, send me an email. If you want to sign up as an associate member, contact nancy.

Thanks
Jess

Blake
02-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Back on the full name listing topic...

I always use my real name on internet discussion boards. My first name. The reason I prefer not to have my full first and last name displayed is simply for my own protection and privacy. I'm fine with using my first name or last name, just not both together. Call me silly or paranoid or whatever. I just don't like the idea of someone at some future date being able to type "Blake Rudy" into a google.com search and finding everything I've ever written on the web. So how about it? Can I please go back to being just plain ole "Blake" here on the mboard? Please? I've been a good boy no? You can trust me, really you can. Add my CMRA # if that helps.

As to the posting priveleges... how about allowing posting priveleges for anyone who can come up with three members as sponsors?

mcstealth
02-23-2004, 06:47 PM
I don't get registered untill the first big bike endurance as I'm sure many racers do. Please wait untill then.

David

krzkevin
02-23-2004, 11:19 PM
bummer, race bike needs tires, no job, couldn't make the first race. now i am getting booted off the message board? i am planning on tws. whats the deal anyway, it's not like the message board is so crowded you can't use it.

Nancy Selleck
02-24-2004, 05:16 AM
At Oak Hill this past weekend, the line at registration was sooooo long because a lot of folks waited until then to renew their licenses.

I'm afraid Texas World is going to be even worse. It would save a lot of time on Saturday morning if you could renew your licenses before going to the track.

There's still time to fax it in and have it processed in time for TWS.

Linz Leard
02-24-2004, 07:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by kevin miller:
whats the deal anyway, it's not like the message board is so crowded you can't use it. </div></div>It's not this, Kevin. It's about the CMRA BBS belonging to the members of the club - racers, associates, and staff. If you've ever visited the WERA BBS, you know that it can become a free for all and, IMHO, strays too far away from racing topics too many times. Anyone can be a member there - all you have to do is register. I'll admit that it is entertaining, but it is also fragmented and chock full of flamers and non-racers. The CMRA BBS, partly because it is smaller, is attempting to become a bit more structured in the sense that anyone can read it, but unless you are a current CMRA member, you cannot post to it. It is about keeping the BBS a forum exclusive to the CMRA racing family.

The "cut-off date" was born partly out of administrative policy concerning fairness. It would have been nice to have every membership renewal into the CMRA offices by January 1, 2004. This would have given Nancy much more room to breathe, er, process applications. The first race of the year is stocked with not only returning racers but has historically been a popular time for new racers to attend rider's school. Registration is always a mad house, and because many of folks are renewing their licenses at the same time, it really sucks to be working registration.

Even so, posting privileges were allowed up to the first race weekend even for folks who had not yet renewed. Realize that the CMRA generally has no idea who will be returning from year to year, and when they will be renewing, if at all. You have to admit that allowing a two or three-month "grace period" for posting privileges (based on license renewal) is not out of line. Try not paying your car note for three months - the bank probably won't repossess the vehicle in that time period, but they are sure to ding your credit -- and when you finally make your payment, your credit ding won't just go away. Renew with the CMRA and you're back on the BBS instantly.

Mbiano
02-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Bingo!

JesseJohnson
02-25-2004, 10:22 PM
This has been completed. If you were removed by accident, please let me know.

Jess