PDA

View Full Version : 2006 BoD Meeting Minutes



Nancy Selleck
11-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
(January 14, 2006)
(CMRA Office, Fort Worth, Texas)

Board Members:
Present: Steve Breen, Chris Kotowski, Jess Johnson, Lindsey Leard, Norm McDonald, Chris Rankin, Harry Tomlinson
Quorum: Yes

Others Present:
Secretary - Nancy Selleck
Race Director - Walter Walker
Contingency Coordinator - Bill Syfan
Club Attorney – Frank Newman

Meeting called to order at 11:15 a.m.

1. Read minutes from previous Board meeting of December 17, 2005

2. Bylaws. Agreed to add Board Meeting to be a closed meeting; Board Director and a guest to receive gate pass at all events. Frank Newman to make changes and have the bylaws ready for review at the first Oak Hill race February 18, 2006.

3. 2006 Rulebook.
a. Red Flag Rule. Rider who causes red flag as determined by the Race Director gets put at the back of last lap finished.
b. Rider Index. Minimum 15 races and decide cutoff point at the end of the year.

4. Purse. Agreed to have the Expert purses paid by the CMRA remain the same as 2005. Trophies will be blank plaques with plates for all classes 1st through 3rd place. Sample of trophy provided by Norm McDonald.

5. Budget Committee. Formed a budge committee to meet to create future budget. Chris Rankin, Jess Johnson, Harry Tomlinson and Steve Breen to comprise the committee. Copies of financials provided to all members and copies of general ledgers provided to Steve and Jess. Meeting to be scheduled at a later date.

6. 2006 Hall of Fame Nominees. The Brothers Family and Britt Turkington. Bill Syfan to contact both nominees.

7. Motorsport Ranch – Houston. Harry Tomlinson to draft letter requesting a visit by CMRA representatives to review the changes made at the track.

8. No Problem Raceway. Agreed to put the track on the 2007 schedule as long as there are rooms available. Bill Syfan to contact track management and report back.

9. 2006 Banquet. Agreed to look for a banquet committee to help out this year, banquet to be held before Thanksgiving. Chris Kotowski to check on American Airlines facility and report back to the Board.

Meeting adjourned at 4:10 p.m.

Nancy Selleck
11-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
(May 6, 2006)
(CMRA Office, Fort Worth, Texas)

Board Members:
Present: Chris Kotowski, Lindsey Leard, Norm McDonald, Frank Newman, Chris Rankin, Harry Tomlinson
Absent: Jess Johnson
Quorum: Yes

Others Present:
Secretary - Nancy Selleck
Race Director - Walter Walker
Contingency Coordinator - Bill Syfan
Club Attorney – Frank Newman

Meeting called to order at 10:30 a.m.

1. Read minutes from previous Board meeting of January 14, 2006.

2. New Board Member. Seated Frank Newman as the new Board member replacing Steve Breen.

3. MSR Houston. Track management reportedly is moving back pit road. CMRA representatives to go visit the facility to check on progress of changes. Bill Syfan to contact track management to arrange a date and time for visit.

4. 2007 Schedule. Bill Syfan working on tentative schedule. Norm McDonald will contact Hallett to check on available dates. Bill to contact all other tracks for dates. Voted to keep Oak Hill as first race of the season and put No Problem Raceway as the second event on the 2007 schedule.

5. Charity Fundraisers. Discussed eliminating CMRA-sponsored fundraisers for specific causes and possibly holding an annual generic fundraiser mid-season instead.

6. Hall of Fame Page on Website. Discussed creating a page on the CMRA website to highlight the recipients of the annual Hall of Fame award. Bill Syfan to talk to Marian Orchard about building the page. Possible recipients for 2006: The Brothers Family and Britt Turkington.

7. Special Award. Discussed putting together a special award for Mrs. Gibson, owner of Oak Hill Raceway. Decided to take an aerial photo of the track during the July 1-2 CMRA event. Photo would be enlarged and available at the banquet for CMRA members to sign. The award would then be presented to Mrs. Gibson at the next Oak Hill race weekend. Chris Rankin offered to do the flying and Lindsey Leard offered to take the photo.

8. Championship Apparel: Discussed eliminating Class Championship jackets. Jackets are too expensive and very few are ever used by recipients. To be reviewed and voted on at a later meeting.

9. 2006 Banquet. Nancy Selleck reported that she and Melissa Tomlinson had visited a few locations for the 2006 awards banquet. They had decided on the River Ranch facility in the Fort Worth stockyards and the date was set for November 11, 2006. Nancy had contacted a brand new AmeriSuites property one block away and had booked a block of 60 rooms at the discounted rate of $109 a night.

Meeting adjourned at 5:05 p.m.

Nancy Selleck
11-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
(August 12, 2006)
(CMRA Office, Fort Worth, Texas)

Board Members:
Present: Chris Kotowski, Jess Johnson, Lindsey Leard, Frank Newman, Chris Rankin, Harry Tomlinson
Absent: Norm McDonald
Quorum: Yes

Others Present:
Secretary: Nancy Selleck
Race Director: Walter Walker
Contingency Coordinator: Bill Syfan
CPA: Elaine Carter

Meeting called to order at 11:25 a.m.

1. MSR Houston for 2007. Reviewed track rental fee and discussed concerns with pit out and pavement at Turns 16 & 17. Determined that the track rental fee was too high based on rental fees of other tracks used by the CMRA and that as a first-time track the turnout numbers and staffing issues were unknown. Suggestion made to request a one-time rental discount in order to determine how an event at MSR Houston would pan out. Discussed that changes need to be made to pit out and pavement in Turns 16 & 17. Voted to continue negotiations with MSR Houston regarding rental fees and improvements before committing to put on 2007 schedule. Bill Syfan to contact track management with requests.

2. Met with CPA Elaine Carter and voted to accept current financials (after specified corrections were made). Budget committee to meet again at a later date (to be decided).

3. Frank Newman presented information regarding his visit to Eagles Canyon Racetrack. Bill Syfan to contact their publicist to ensure that the CMRA is kept in the loop about track developments.

4. Approved the 2007 Tentative Schedule with last two dates as tentative. To be reviewed again after final negotiations with MSR Houston.

5. MSR Cresson long track for 2007. Tentatively on schedule. To be decided after Walter meets with Jack Farr about final track improvements.

6. 2007 Banquet. Approved a budget limit of $7500 for trophies and to eliminate all Championship apparel. Discussed staffing of banquet and committees for the Silent Auction, Raffle and Decorating. Jess Johnson to help Norm with trophies.

7. Three-Day Events. Discussed open practice on Fridays at all events and some possible changes to rider’s school curriculum. Bill, Harry and Walter to meet with Lone Star Track Days.

8. Team CMRA for Mid-Ohio. Voted for riders to represent the CMRA at Mid-Ohio. Cory Burleson, Dustin Dominguez, Chase Vivion and alternate Brandon Spradling. Approved CMRA to sponsor $200 to each of the three team members. CMRA will provide the team with CMRA banner, t-shirts and hats. Danny Dominguez suggested as the Team Manager and Bill Syfan to contact him.

9. Approved moving CMRA Rider Safety Fund from a savings account to interest-paying checking account.

10. Approved paying 2007 expert classes only if purse is paid by an outside sponsor.

Meeting adjourned at 4:50 p.m.

Nancy Selleck
11-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
(October 21, 2006)
(CMRA Office, Fort Worth, Texas)

Board Members:
Present: Chris Kotowski, Jess Johnson, Lindsey Leard, Norm McDonald, Frank Newman, Chris Rankin, Harry Tomlinson
Quorum: Yes

Others Present:
Secretary Nancy Selleck
Race Director Walter Walker
Contingency Coordinator Bill Syfan

Meeting called to order at 10:15 a.m.

1. Reviewed updated financials through August 31, 2006. Last two races were not included in the figures. Financials including last two races to be presented at the Board of Directors meeting at the Awards Banquet on November 11, 2006.

2. Report on the October 11, 2006 budget committee meeting. Discussed ways to reduce costs and increase revenue.
a. Reduce Banquet Expenses. Fewer banquet workers, no monetary compensation, comp banquet ticket only.
b. Reduce Liability Insurance Premiums. Bill Syfan reported on another insurance company that may be able to save the CMRA up to 40% per year on liability insurance. Bill to contact them and get a quote.
c. Reduce Credit Card Fees. Norm McDonald to provide Nancy Selleck with contact information for person who may be able to save the CMRA on credit card fees. Nancy to research current credit card fees and then get quote from Norm’s contact.
d. Reduce Payroll Fees. Nancy Selleck to move payroll services from ADP to CPA firm and then possibly in-house.
e. Increase License and Associate Membership Fees.
f. Increase Big Bike Endurance Entry Fees.

3. License and Associate Membership Fees. Reviewed license fees for other race organizations. Discussed the fact that the license fees have not increased for at least six years while the level of service to the membership has increased steadily. Services and benefits that have been added include full-time secretary and office, CPA services, new scoring system, free Roadracing World subscription, monthly newsletter, contingency coordinator, etc. Approved raising license fees to $135 per year and Associate Membership fees to $65 per year.

4. Big Bike Endurance Entry Fees. Reviewed entry fees for other race organizations. Discussed the fact that based on track time, endurance entry fees were well below sprint entry fees. Approved raising big bike endurance entry fees from $40 per hour to $45 per hour. Mini endurance, mini sprint and big bike sprint fees to remain the same as 2006.

5. Special Funds. Discussed earmarking money for special funds such as future trailer purchase, scoring computer replacement purchase, annual awards banquet, equipment replacement purchase, etc.

6. Pace American Trailer Deal. Walter Walker reported on the trailer deal for 2007. For a third time, Barry Nichols has worked a two-year deal with Pace American to provide the CMRA with a trailer at no cost to us. At the end of the two years, not knowing what the situation will be at Pace, we may have to purchase the trailer. Discussed earmarking a certain amount from each race to be put aside to purchase the trailer in two years.

7. Transponders. Discussed possible locations for mounting transponders. No decision made; to be researched further and decided before final 2007 rulebook. Approved requiring transponders for all classes, with the exception of Junior Motard, in 2007.

8. Texas World Speedway Turn 8A. CMRA representatives to meet with TWS management to discuss changes to Turn 8A. Representatives to report back to the Board of Directors after the meeting.

9. 2007 Rulebook Changes. Discussed rulebook changes for 2007. A list of specific rulebook changes to be announced to general membership on the CMRA website and in the Inside Line newsletter in their entirety before the end of 2006.

Meeting adjourned at 4:10 p.m.

Nancy Selleck
11-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
(November 11, 2006)
(AmeriSuites – Historic Stockyards, Fort Worth, Texas)

Board Members:
Present: Pierson Callahan, Chris Kotowski, Jess Johnson, Lindsey Leard, Norm McDonald, Frank Newman, John O’Donnell, Chris Rankin, Harry Tomlinson
Quorum: Yes

Others Present:
Secretary: Nancy Selleck
Race Director: Walter Walker
Contingency Coordinator: Bill Syfan

Meeting called to order at 10:15 a.m.

1. Seated New Board members: Pierson Callahan, Frank Newman, and John O’Donnell. Voted Harry Tomlinson as President and Chris Kotowski as Vice President.

2. Read minutes from previous Board meeting of October 21, 2006.

3. Briefly reviewed 2006 financials which were complete through October 2006. Agreed to closer review at next meeting set for December 16, 2006 at the CMRA office in Fort Worth. Pierson Callahan added to budget committee (Frank Newman and Harry Tomlinson). Norm McDonald provided copies of 2000-2004 financial reports. Nancy Selleck will provide 2005.

4. 2007 Rulebook Changes
a. Rider Index. Agreed to leave the Rider Index formula in the rulebook, but not specify the number of races or cutoff point in determining how many Novices to move to Expert.
b. Provisional Novice Requirements. Agreed to change the racing requirements to a minimum of two races per race weekend and keep the two race weekends without crashing requirement.
c. Provisional Novice Race. Agreed to eliminate the Provisional Novice race.
d. CMRA Riders School. Agreed to eliminate accepting school certificates from any other organization other the CMRA Riders School. John O’Donnell suggested written processes for all outside vendors including Riders School. Agreed that a written criteria for the school will be prepared.
e. Rookie Expert Awards. Agreed to eliminate money purses and replace with plaques. All Expert classes, 1st through 3rd place.
f. E Superstock Championship. Agreed by a majority of votes to award trophies and end of the year championship just like all other classes.
g. End of Year Championships. Agreed to change the minimum average number of entries per event from three to four.
h. Transponders. Agreed to leave transponder mounting location the same as 2006. Agreed to place sole responsibility for having a mounted and charged transponder on the rider and remove liability from club officials. If there is no transponder or transponder is not working, the rider will receive last place points.

5. Track Contracts. Bill Syfan and Frank Newman to review next year’s track contracts.

6. TWS Turn 8A. Agreed that members of the Board were authorized to present a plan to TWS management to resolve the problem before the start of the 2007 racing season. Bill Syfan to report back after contacting TWS management.

7. Novice to Expert for 2007. Agreed to not make any changes to the number of Novices moved up for 2007 but to review the process for 2008 to move up a larger group. (Note: After a discussion with the general membership at the Open Membership meeting immediately following this Board Meeting, the Board decided to move up another group of Novices for 2007. The exact number and names of the riders to be agreed upon after review. An announcement to be made on the CMRA website and each rider contacted directly by Nancy).

8. Agenda Items for Next Meeting. Budget, Novice Championships, Rider School/vendor approval processes.

Meeting adjourned at 1:30 p.m.