PDA

View Full Version : Witnessed at NPR

migkilr
06-09-2003, 12:11 PM
The following is the initial report on the Grand Bayou Festival of Speed this past weekend. If you didn't go because you were afraid of the rain, may I suggest that you take up needlepoint as your new hobby /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif . It didn't rain anyways, and it was perfect weather for racing.

1. The trophy girl competition was great and IMHO should be an integral part of any roadracing event
2. Live music at approximately 142 dB until 2:00 in the morning in the pits on Saturday! Oh yeah!!
3. This may or may not have had anything to do with the fact that CMRA's own Will Shupak was witnessed on the track (on his GSXR 750) during the lightweight RACE!! On about the third lap he finally heeded the black flag they kept waving at him and exited the track (he had a good excuse, but nobody wants to hear HIS side of the story).
Ok, so it wasn't the best organized race in the world, but I came for the party, and was not disappointed!

marcus mcbain
06-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Renate and I had a great time. The fireworks were really cool too. (Renate thing you know... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif )

The only thing that sucked was the actual race organization. (Hangovers are appropriate reasons to blow off the morning schedule /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ) I also understand the purse was not what was advertised. I went ahead and chose not to race because they could not tell us (H/W Expert) what the purse amount was or how far it paid back. Since the first race didn't even start until after 4:30pm, I couldn't see burning up a $300.00+ set of tires for no purse.

All in all we had a good time like I said. If I didn't have to go to Dallas today and Renate didn't have to work this AM, we probably would have raced still.

Next event for those guys should read, "We are having one big party with a race somewhere in between". /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

waytooslow
06-09-2003, 01:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Marcus McBain:
.....Next event for those guys should read, "We are having one big party with a race somewhere in between". /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>It is in Louisana after all... life runs at a different speed... and reason... sounded like fun!!

way

Jack Giesecke
06-09-2003, 01:54 PM
The wall, guys, the wall, was the wall gone??????

marcus mcbain
06-09-2003, 01:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jack Giesecke:
The wall, guys, the wall, was the wall gone??????</div></div>There is a wall there?

Travis Pierce
06-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Sounds like the first Church of Speed event. The purses weren't as posted then either. And from past experience, I have never seen it organized when it comes to them. Even during track days it wasn't uncommon to hit the track for the 1st time at 11:30a.m.

But I will tell you, they sure know how to throw a party. Maybe they should just stick to throwin parties, they seem better suited for that.

marcus mcbain
06-09-2003, 02:14 PM
Just kidding Jack.

There was some vague talk by Winston, etc. that the wall would be "removed as a safety issue".

Now that can mean one of three things:

1) Wall removed
2) New track layout
3) Modification of current track layout

You can also contact NPR via information on their website:

http://www.noproblemraceway.com/npr/

Marcus

tinman
06-09-2003, 06:33 PM
after my first experience at npr, thank God for the cmra, and I was just watching. Interesting track. The party atmoshpere saturday night was pretty cool. First time I'd seen a turbocharged 'busa run on the strip. I can understand the confusion on sunday with the heat and hangovers. Amazing number of bikes for the dragracing. Lots of nice paved area to pit in with an extremely small amount of shade for racers and spectators. Rooted for the cmra guys i knew. man, bradley is friekin fast on that sv. Now figure this one out. A beer was the same price as a bottle of water!!! All in all, aside from the confusion on sunday was a pretty cool affair to hang at. As for that wall.......as one cmra racer described it, it has a pucker factor.

Will Shupak
06-09-2003, 09:01 PM

Will Shupak
06-09-2003, 09:20 PM
I was told the issue of the wall was soon to be resolved and I think Sept. was the date but I'm not sure. As I understand it, the plan is "revised track layout" somehow involving the current pit road. This could all be speculation but at any rate I didn't mind the wall so much as the heavy equipment outside of turn 5. They could have picked a better place to park. I'm not sure it was really a chance of hitting it(probably too far away) but it was definatley distracting to see a dump truck on the outside of a corner. I did enjoy the track and the party and I would attend again but this time with more sleep. I liked it soo much, I tried to squeze in a few extra practice laps during the lightweight race and was successful....lol Thats a joke by the way, but I'll only elaborate if asked...lol. One thing I did notice was that there seemed to be alot less crashing with a 25 lap race(can you say pace??) but I'm sure the smaller crowd had a big part in that. One last thing...If you are planning a trip to NPR, get out your spares list and add a whole case of OFF insect repellent. They have mosquitos the size of chickens down there /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif .....lol

Will Shupak
06-09-2003, 09:22 PM
oops.......sorry for the double post.wrong button

tschoepe
06-10-2003, 11:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Rob Rundell:
Now figure this one out. A beer was the same price as a bottle of water!!! </div></div>/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif It's Louisiana...and I bet the beer was available in a "go-cup" if you wanted it...