PDA

View Full Version : Don't impress me much

mcstealth
06-11-2003, 08:01 AM
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=4914

Is it me? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif This guy has fallen way down my list.

David

06-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Unbelieveable ! This guy has nothing but bad luck or something! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Barron Houston
06-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Kids.... :rolleyes:

m novak
06-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Why would he fall down your list???

He crashed his car. :rolleyes:

ysr612
06-11-2003, 09:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Mark Novak:
Why would he fall down your list???

He crashed his car. :rolleyes: </div></div>Time to drive fast like time to ride fast is on the track.

06-11-2003, 09:53 AM
all i got to say is i crashed several cars when i was a kid.
i crashed several bikes when i was a kid (ha, still do).
if i had a corvette when i was 19 instead of whatever beater i was driving at the time i would have done at least as bad to myself and whoever was stupid enough to ride with me.

give the kid a break.

migkilr
06-11-2003, 10:09 AM
I guess you're one of the few people who has never broken the speed limit. I'm impressed. I have to admit I've broken it on occasion. C'mon, this kid is one of the most amazing talents ever to hit the motorcycle scene. He is incredibly gifted and has a great work ethic. Oh yeah, and he is one of the most gracious and humble people I've ever seen in interviews. Very few professional athletes these days can hold a candle to the quality of person that this kid is. If you're going to criticize him please PLEASE give me an example of someone that meets your standards, I'd love to see that.

06-11-2003, 10:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jon Appelt:
Oh yeah, and he is one of the most gracious and humble people I've ever seen in interviews. Very few professional athletes these days can hold a candle to the quality of person that this kid is. </div></div>you bring up a good point here.
in all the interviews i have ever seen of this kid, he is always smiling and seems genuinely thrilled to be in his position. he really seems to be a suzuki marketing dream.

m novak
06-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Glen- you are right, time to speed is on the track. the kid is 19!!! at 19 I would have done the same too.

and as far as him personally, you guys forgot to mention he graduated highschool early and is several years into a communications degree already as well.

Darn Slacker. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

ysr612
06-11-2003, 12:22 PM
I have done stupid things not only when I was a kid but even last week. This does not mean I condone it.

mark niemi
06-11-2003, 01:26 PM
We all do stupid things. It just doesn't make the papers when we do.
Does the list change based on something other than car wrecks? Save yourself some heartache,put the list in the garbage can.

mcstealth
06-12-2003, 12:19 AM
oooookayyy,,

One. As a racer, he has done what after his East Coast championship of 3 years ago??????

two. He ditches an AMA race two years ago citing injury and does the X-game the day after. Oh that's being responsible.

three. he's done what as a racer for the last three years?????

four. He is not racing now because of an injury, and now and he goes and flips his car doing something stupid, almost killing himself and another?????

five. he has done what as a racer in the last three years???

Suzuki needs to drop him like I need to drop my marriage. They are waisting their money.

David

m novak
06-12-2003, 07:36 AM
So if he was in the points chase it would be cool to crash his car? That's what I got out of that /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

it is ok to no approve of him speeding and almost killing himself in a car, but it hardly makes him a social leper or less of a person.

If he had been drunk, I' would agree with you, but this is just a case of the stoopids.

06-12-2003, 08:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by David Ferris:
oooookayyy,,

One. As a racer, he has done what after his East Coast championship of 3 years ago??????

two. He ditches an AMA race two years ago citing injury and does the X-game the day after. Oh that's being responsible.

three. he's done what as a racer for the last three years?????

four. He is not racing now because of an injury, and now and he goes and flips his car doing something stupid, almost killing himself and another?????

five. he has done what as a racer in the last three years???

Suzuki needs to drop him like I need to drop my marriage. They are waisting their money.

David</div></div>you know why suzuki keeps him on?
go to a mx race and see how many little kids are running around with his number on their back, or on their bikes, or on their lunch boxes, or on their hats, or on their pants, or on their etc., etc., etc....
people outside of the sport know his name and that is worth more dollars to suzuki than any championships.

migkilr
06-12-2003, 09:23 AM
Okay, it is clear that David is "Anti-Pastrana", fair enough, we're all entitled to our opinions. So how about Matt Mladin, is that guy just a first class Pr*ck or what? I'm not saying he's not fast, that guy is very fast and very dedicated, I'm just saying he has absolutely zero social skills. Lets rip on Matt instead of Travis. Heh Heh. :p

Nohl Haeckel
06-12-2003, 09:44 AM
Hey david have you ever won an AMA championship? If so, how old were you when you did it? and what have you done since then?

Nohl Haeckel
06-12-2003, 09:48 AM
Sorry for the double post but some people hit slumps in life. I think Nicky Hayden probably feels like he's in one. ie. on top of the world one year, mid-pac the next. does'nt mean he's less of a rider or person.

David Branyon
06-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Alright, not much on the board, so I'll post on this one just to stir the pot I guess.

We all do stupid things, but usually it involves little things with little consequences. If you go out and put not only your own life, but that of a friend in that kind of risk, that is recklessly irresponsible, no matter the age.

Have people been irresponsible before? You bet. Is anyone who has done something irresponsible worthless? No. But, our opinion of people's character goes up and down with their actions. It's completely reasonable to lower your opinion somewhat of a guy who would make this big of a mistake. Not hate him, just lower your opinion.

As to "good" role models, at the risk of being mobbed for changing sports, I'll have to go with David Robinson of the Spurs. A pretty good basketball player, but a really tremendous human being. I'm sure he's done something bad before, but I have yet to hear of it. (Of course, I probably will now. :rolleyes: ) I'm not even a real basketball fan, but it is a pleasure to watch a stand-up guy like him. imho of course.

Jeff6R
06-12-2003, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I've done some stupid stuff before. Some of it involved cars and driving too fast/agressively. Managed not to hurt anyone ever thankfully.

As far as Pastrana goes, it's not like I really keep up with him or anything, but he impressed the heck out of me when he was just starting to become well known. But he's seemed like a big nothing since. Definitely disappointed he hasn't managed to just take over everything.

E. Templet
06-12-2003, 11:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jon Appelt:
Okay, it is clear that David is "Anti-Pastrana", fair enough, we're all entitled to our opinions. So how about Matt Mladin, is that guy just a first class Pr*ck or what? I'm not saying he's not fast, that guy is very fast and very dedicated, I'm just saying he has absolutely zero social skills. Lets rip on Matt instead of Travis. Heh Heh. :p </div></div>Yea yea..I agree. Let's rip Mat, cry baby Mladdin.

I can't wait for Ben Spies to put a whippin on him. I like riders that walk the walk. You don't have to be a jerk, but that persona just suits Mladdin to a "T". I do think he is a great rider, but he crize too much! I think they should play 96 tears in the background when the interview him on Speed. Or...make a video of him and play that music in the background. Ha ha. That would be very cool

OK you video gurus get after that one. That would be too funny. Send it to the Speed Channel. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

colin fowler
06-15-2003, 09:23 AM
I'll pass on Mladin because he's not worth the breath. But I was currently racing when Ben Spies
came into the CMRA, and I saw him take a lot of knocks, as well as have a lot of good luck. What I am getting at is this kid handles himself so well. He is far and away well spoken above his competitors and seems far more mature in any interview I have seen of him. He has the speed and the mind set to go all the way. I can't wait to see him one step above Mladin asap.

Colin