PDA

View Full Version : Hope this is the wrong Phillip Ramirez...

marcus mcbain
06-12-2003, 06:22 PM
I was watching the news this morning and I look up and hear the name Phillip Ramirez. I look up and think I see his picture for just a second. I am hoping this is not the same guy so I call him a few times today, but I got no returned calls, etc. See the whole story at:

http://www.khou.com/topstories/khou030611_ds_AutoTheftRing.abc2539d.html

Anyway, I bought a motor from SMD cycles. I paid via PayPal and got a hardcopy recipt, BUT I went ahead and called the Sherriff's Department to find out what to do to make sure nothing is stolen. They instructed me to go to the local tax collectors office (where you pay your tags) and you will be able to find out if any property is "stolen" by running the VIN/EIN.

I am trying to verify if this is him (CMRA-Phillip). If anyone knows him let us know. This would suck as it was just several years ago Robert Marsh ALSO made the front page of the newspaper for theft on this level.

Marcus

Ara Tidwell
06-12-2003, 06:44 PM
http://www.khou.com/watchvideo/index.jsp?SID=4541555

is a video clip. I don't know what he looks like so...

06-12-2003, 07:55 PM
I hate to say it, but it looks like him. Somebody tell me I'm wrong...the mug shot in RealVideo is pretty bad....

marcus mcbain
06-12-2003, 08:18 PM
Yeah,

This could get ugly, a lot of CMRA racers/teams did business with Phillip.

Let's still hope this isn't him.

Marcus

Joseph McCamish
06-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Sorry to be the one to say it but yes it is him..I know for sure. Ck your bike at the dnv like they say and hope everything turns out ok..
Joseph P. McCamish
yamaha R6 #627

David Hirsch
06-12-2003, 10:12 PM
Marcus, call me tomorrow morning and give me the EIN. I will check it.
David

marcus mcbain
06-12-2003, 10:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by David Hirsch:
Marcus, call me tomorrow morning and give me the EIN. I will check it.
David</div></div>Thanks David.

Like I said this morning, I might get screwed out of 1300.00, but it is better than riding around on a stolen motor.

Marcus

Mitchel
06-12-2003, 10:36 PM
Contact your credit card company if you paid by credit card. They may be able to help you out too...

Travis Pierce
06-12-2003, 10:46 PM
Like I said this morning, I might get screwed out of 1300.00, but it is better than riding around on a stolen motor.

Marcus[/QB][/QUOTE]

I hope the best for you Marcus, Man I hope it turns out ok for you...................

Joseph Browning
06-12-2003, 10:48 PM
Hirsch can you check EINs? That's a really good thing to know! I have heard there's a natl registry but I never knew how to access it...

Ronnie
06-12-2003, 11:02 PM
As Mr, "H" is da' PoPo, I imagine he can look up most any vehicle ID info !!!!!

Ronnie

Joseph Browning
06-13-2003, 07:46 AM
I know he's "da man" but I talked to the coppers in Austin and they tell me that the FBI and the manufacturer are the only ones who have access to EIN #s. Vins, sure anybody with half a wit can find the owner... But EIN are not on a centralized database that we can access unless the motor is stolen and registered and registered as such. That's what I was told, anyway.

marcus mcbain
06-13-2003, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I just got back from the Tax collectors office and they could care less about anything other than a VIN. Hirsh is checking it out for me and is going to let me know when he finds out.

This sucks...

Marcus

Ara Tidwell
06-13-2003, 01:08 PM
I've been told that SMD graphics stands for bleep my bleep.... Not sure if it is true or not. I would kind of be weary of any company who calls them selves that!

Joseph Browning
06-13-2003, 04:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Ara Tidwell:
I would kind of be weary of any company who calls them selves that!</div></div>I would be weary of anyone who, for no particular reason, jumps on his bike one afternoon and rides 800 miles away from his family and friends to "move out of Texas to... find the right spot"
But that's just me...

Joseph Browning
06-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Oh and the word is "leery" not "weary." Or maybe you ment wary...Weary is something else I get when I am around you. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

06-14-2003, 12:05 AM
All I know is they better pray that they find the guy who stole my truck before I do.
As far as Phillip goes, It's a shame to think that someone in our club could be part of somthing like this. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
Theft is on the rise especially since school is out, hell I chased down some punks the other day steeling stuff outta my neighbors garage.
I chased them all thru Katy and finally shuved them off into a ditch and held them at gun point until the sherrif's dept arrived 10min later.
No matter where we all live or what we do, it's seem's to be more important to watch your neighborhood.
Hell my neighbors dont really care for me that much with the loud bikes, parties etc, but they do talk to me because they know I look out for the hood.
Sorry to sound like Nancy Reagan but it does work if they like me or not!

06-14-2003, 12:13 AM
BTW the Sherrifs dept did find alot of stolen car stereo equip in there car, so it was worth the chase and the wear and tear on my truck!
Unfortunatly none of it was mine lol.

Linz Leard
06-14-2003, 08:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Max Wilson:
I chased them all thru Katy and finally shuved them off into a ditch and held them at gun point until the sherrif's dept arrived 10min later.</div></div>I don't know you, Max, but you sound like my kind of guy! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

smitht
06-15-2003, 11:01 AM
You have to watch out taking the law into your own hands, police get weird sometimes over the smallest of things....The other evening a friend of mine from work was coming home late (1:00 am) from band practice and some 11-12 yr old punks on a bridge threw eggs at their car. They stopped their car and chased the kids and were able to catch the fat slow kid. They did not harm the kid in any way. My friend told the kid clean the car or he would take him to the police. The kid refused to clean the car. So they took him to the police dept and the police went balistic on my friend. "We could charge you with kidnapping!!!"...."We could throw you into jail right now!!!"

Jeff6R
06-15-2003, 01:43 PM
That's definitely not such a good idea. Calling the cops is the way to go there. Of course, how do you keep them there while you wait 5 minutes to 6 hours? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif I guess you could hold a gun on them, although that could be considered assult. Actually shoot them and you'll be in BIG trouble. Punk kids! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Probably better to sit on them. That might work for the big, fat, slow, weak member of the herd! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

06-15-2003, 09:52 PM
Actually since the garage is attached, it is a FELONY home invasion.
If your garage is NOT attached to your house (no roof from the house to the garage) it is a misdemenor go figure!
On the plus side the type of biz that i'm in does help they know me well hehe.

In Texas there is still such a thing as citizen's arrest.

These little punks were not minors, they are over 18
None the less still adult punk kids.

(not trying to pick a fight or stire things up just simply stating)

Jeff6R
06-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Well I don't know the particular laws that well, and I'm curious. How does the citizens arrest play into it? If you were to threaten joe smoe out on the street with a gun it's a crime. Is it okay to use a gun to try to enforce a citizen's arrest if a crime has been committed?

06-18-2003, 12:25 AM
All I know, is yes it was legal to do what I did, due to the fact that it was a felony home invasion.
If i were to shoot in the air or some cowboy $#it like that then it would have been most likely unlawful use of a fire arm with a hefty fine and some time in the grey bar hotel.
I'm not 100% or 60% for that matter on the law's sorry if it sounded mislaeding, but i was right in this matter.
I really don't know what else to tell you.