PDA

View Full Version : weather this weekend at World

Noah Reese
06-12-2003, 07:14 PM
In the event that it rains this weekend, I was looking for suggestions for tires for the endurance race on an r6. How long should I expect rain dot's to last in the rain? How long would they last on a wet track if it was not raining? How much do they cost? Might it not be more economical to run dot radials? Thanks for any input.

marcus mcbain
06-12-2003, 07:26 PM
Unless you see it will be raining for at least a half hour, just run standard DOT's. TWS is not too bad in the rain and dries (race line) in about 10 laps. DOT Rains will last 15 laps on a wet, but drying track with no sun out. 2 laps in the sun is the limit with a definitive dry line.

Because the weather forcast is only calling for intermittent storms, I would run DOT's unless there is rain at the start of the race and it looks like it will last at least an hour.

In 2000, G-Man & TGK had a great strategic race going on. In the 4th hour, it rained hard. We started the race on Michelin DOT's that were about worn out (no tread). G-Man ran some laptimes as low as 2:19 in the rain and got down to some 2:08's on the drying track. I ran 2:33's for the most part, but matched the pace on the drying track. G-Man gained almost a lap on us. After thirty five minutes, G-Man pitted to re-mount slicks, but lost their entire margin gained plus some more changing back to dry tires.

We won by about a lap (even with Chuck putting the voo-doo spell on me for the last few laps) /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

That is really indictative of what can be gained and lost with rains.

NOW, if you want to know about having well conditioned riders in the heat and the advantage they bring, ask G-Man. I can still hear Charles' headlines, "But the lead melted faster than ice cream on the pavement when Ty's team mates..." /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Marcus

Noah Reese
06-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Let me be more specific. We're running yellow/hardest of the racing compound metzler. The word I get re: Metzler dot; is they don't handle at all in the rain or on a wet track.
So, I was considering running like a D207 street tire to get 1)durability 2)performance on a wet track or in the rain.
Please advise me if you have had contradicting experiences with Metzler's in the rain. Thanks.

marcus mcbain
06-12-2003, 08:13 PM
Hey Noah,

There is no exact answer that will be "the truth".

It really depends on the total amount of rain/puddling/drying time during the race. None of the current DOT's offer many grooves to channel water. The 207's offered more grooves and seemed to work well in the rain too. I have seen teams make a 207 last 4+ hours (600cc in-line 4), but you also have to have an appropriately setup motorcycle.

Oh yeah, The Pirelli's seem to work fine at lower temps, so theoretically, the Pirelli's should work better than their equivelant competitor due to more grooves, but it is arguable for me to say that too...

Marcus

G Man
06-12-2003, 09:18 PM
don't let Mcbain fool ya, he'll be running some grooved out cheng shins. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

marcus mcbain
06-12-2003, 09:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Marc Gifford:
don't let Mcbain fool ya, he'll be running some grooved out cheng shins. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>Hey Man,

When you guys coming back out? Missed you all at Hallet. Beckley won at Duquoin.

Talk to you,
Marcus

Steve McNamara
06-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Marc Gifford?????

Didn't he use to race???

:-)

Where ya been hiding Giff????