PDA

View Full Version : number display input appreciated

nicktulloh
06-14-2003, 09:56 AM
All,

I'd appreciate any input on the visibilty of my side numbers as mounted. I'd like to pursue a rule change to allow this but if other people have a problem seeing them, I won't bother.

I have a Ducati with the heavily vented tail and it would be a lot easier to place my side numbers on the side fairing. The CCS rule has been interpreted to disallow this (even 'though here and internationally, racers have been using the side fairing for numbers for literally decades - as long as there have been fairings). My assumption is that the reason a lot of people stopped using the side fairing was to make room for sponsor stickers - I don't have that problem.

CMRA - "1) CCS rulebook says on page 24 in section 5.3.5 B that the numbers have to be displayed on the tail section.
2) When you are actually on the bike, I believe that you will cover most, if not all, of the number with your legs.
3) To be frank with you, I didn't even see the numbers on the side of the bike for a good 3 minutes and it is sitting still in your garage."

I have really long legs but they don't reach that far around the bike and don't cover the plate at all unless I use the highway pegs /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks,

Nick

http://home.earthlink.net/~nicktulloh/748/CMRA%20numbers/P5090034.JPG

G Man
06-14-2003, 10:36 AM
It must be pretty cool to race a Duc as a novice. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I crash way to much for such an undertaking.

06-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Well atleast he has a backup bike ! :rolleyes:

nicktulloh
06-14-2003, 09:48 PM
So how about it guys, can you see the side number in less than three minutes?

Thanks,

Nick

Eric Kelcher
06-15-2003, 12:36 AM
from a scorer's prospective it's more like 30 nano-seconds /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif The reasoniong behind the tail section had been uniformity BUT with the advent of ESU's this may not be such an issue and presenting it to Kevin Elliot at CCS would be the SOP.

Jack Giesecke
06-16-2003, 07:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Marc Gifford:
It must be pretty cool to race a Duc as a novice. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I crash way to much for such an undertaking.</div></div>Besides, Gif, after you got through broad sliding that thing, the bottom half of the fairing would be all carved up, at least half way up the number plate! LOL /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Yeah, that's one of the things I like about motards, they crash easier. That's an important aspect of a bike for me.... :rolleyes:

Bryan Norton
06-16-2003, 08:38 AM
It is pretty simple, if it can't be seen easily on the tail section, you would need to purchase a different tail section. Maybe some of you can remember the old F2 tail sections that had the extra piece added so a decent number plate could be added.

While the final decision for number plate visibility rests with the race director, I can say I strongly disagree with the placement I see here.

Nick, I offer you this: Talk to Kim or Walter. They will let you come out and help score a race. (Hopefully it will be an amatuer race with 40 bikes on the grid) Or you can try it from the pits. Find a place close on the track, and as each bike goes by, write down the number on the bike. Do this for each lap, and keep track of all lapped bikes and crashed bikes.

On the other side of the argument - I like the initiative. I understand that even today WERA allows side number placement like yours on vintage machines. In fact, I think that is where side number plates began to be placed.

I think Eric said it right. The main idea for side plate placement is for uniformity. There are many bikes with little or no place for fairing mounted side plates, so then we would have plates in a number of different locations.

Anyone who thinks that electronic scoring will remove the need for backup manual scoring is niave.
Regardless of the redunancy you can build into a system (two pickup receivers and two different notebooks) you can (and will) still have failures. (What about individual transponder failure?)

SO what do you do, stop the races until the computer system can be repaired? Give -0- points to the rider because we don't know where he finished? After all it was his fault that his transponder didn't work, right? Maybe the transponder fell off the bracket, or the whole bracket fell off the bike. So because of that he gets no points?

Manual scoring is a skill. If you don't have people regularly scoring manually, then one day when the computer system breaks and you have to send some people out to the track, it will be extremely difficult to be successful in accurate scoring.

Secondly, as we have clearly seen at the AMA race earlier this year, mounting the transponders on the tail sections sets up huge problems in close finishes. So rider A's front tire crossed the finish line first. But rider B was moving faster, and by the time the transponders crossed the electronic scoring showed rider B taking the win.

Electronic scoring is great, but unless we want to be a slave to technology, manual scoring will always be needed.

Jack Giesecke
06-16-2003, 08:53 AM
Hmm, well, my mini tard doesn't have a tail section as such, but the stock dirt bike number plates have always been passed through tech and the number nazis.

Possible solution to a new tail section, get class C number plates (big rectangular ones designed for flat track) and bolt them to the back of the seat and ty wrap the tops together? Probably won't pass any Milan styling awards, but is cheaper than a new tail section. Of course, if you can afford a couple of Ducs, what's a new tail section? :rolleyes:

Walter Walker
06-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Other riders with the same bike have numbers on the tail and they look OK. In the interest of uniformity, put it on the tail. It is my suspicion that your motivation here is that it will be near impossible to get those backgrounds to conform to that tail. If so then paint it on.