PDA

View Full Version : GT race format question...

Jeff Grant
06-16-2003, 04:11 PM
First off, gotta say thanks to everyone who made/makes it all happen every race weekend... thanks!

My question has to do with the GT races happening after the Endurance race. Is this something that will be happening again when we're back at World in September?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan Norton
06-16-2003, 04:14 PM
good or bad?

I think it was done becuase a lot people had requested it. I am sure we would be interested in feedback of how this worked.

marcus mcbain
06-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Man, I think the morning GT races were better, BUT here are some thoughts.

1) The GT Races are only three races and don't take that long.

2) Endurance teams probably appreciate the extra time in the morning to setup pits, etc. when GT races are in the morning.

3) EVERYONE wants practice, so I think that you could run combined GT/Endurance practice in the morning on the following basis:

(1 Round - 20 minutes each/2 hours total)
a. Transponder
b. Amateur
c. Expert
d. Lightweight
e. Transponder

4) Run the GT races immediately after practice so your schedule would look like this:

8:00 - 10:00 Practice
10:00 - 11:45 GT Races
GTU
GTL
GTO
11:45 - 12:15 Lunch
12:30 - 6:30 Endurance Race

I don't believe this would necessarily shorten the day, BUT I believe it would add time to the Endurance teams for prep, and provide MORE endurance practice.

Marcus

Greg Williams
06-16-2003, 04:42 PM
I know that for us starting the endurance race early worked great. The two benefits were getting more of the racing done before peak temperature and getting an earlier start for home (we didn't get home from TWS until 7:30 Sunday morning, our priorities would probably be a little different if we lived in Houston!). I would also think that it would be beneficial to run the mini endurance races at the end of the day rather than in the mornings.

Jeff Grant
06-16-2003, 05:01 PM
Personally, I did not like the GT's after the Endurance race.

It's not that it didn't really work... it's just that after the Endurance, everyone is dashing around to clean up/move their Endurance pit area, while simultaneously trying to get ready for GT practice and the race as well... and chances are, everyone is pretty worn out from a long day anyway. The whole GT experience felt a lot less "stressful" when done in the AM.

The idea that Marcus basically implied; that it allows for more track time before the Endurance race, is a good thing in my book. A rider is just that much more in tune with the track and their set up, etc.

I like the AM GT's, but if there is an advantage for the change and it will benefit the club, then so be it.

06-16-2003, 05:36 PM
Here's my $.02 , AM is cooler and PM I can sleep until 10am leave Ft.Worth at noon and catch the end of the endurance race at TWS. I love GT's! and the great job all of the staff at the CMRA is doing. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Walter Walker
06-16-2003, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the input. Marcus, your plan has potential.

Jeff6R
06-16-2003, 08:39 PM
I don't like afternoon GT races. There are good points, less heat for the endurance, nice to pack up and go home earlier. That being said I had originally planned to do the GT race, but didn't and probably won't if they're in the afternoon.
I'm just in it for fun and track time.. After the endurance I'm tired and ready to go home. If they're in the morning I'm ready and raring to go and don't mind getting a little more practice so maybe I can get my lap times a little lower in the endurance.

TXFZ1
06-16-2003, 10:40 PM
Working the corner made for a very long day. If you could cut GT practice (or run GT practice w/endurance) and not do the GTs with a 6 hour would help. A 5 hr would work. It was just too long of a day without any break IMHO.

No red flags, the races schedule had no glitches except for the normal late start and still didn't finish till 7 or so.

David

marcus mcbain
06-16-2003, 10:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by David Antilley:
Working the corner made for a very long day. If you could cut GT practice (or run GT practice w/endurance) and not do the GTs with a 6 hour would help. A 5 hr would work. It was just too long of a day without any break IMHO.

No red flags, the races schedule had no glitches except for the normal late start and still didn't finish till 7 or so.

David</div></div>Thanks for being out there.

Marcus

John Orchard
06-17-2003, 08:00 AM
I personally prefer GT races on weekends where we don't endurance races - basically Oak Hill - again, looking for more practice time before sprints etc. the following day.

I'll typically run the occasional GT that's combine with an endurance weekend to keep up with the series, but having it after the endurance race pretty much ruled it out for me.

I definitely prefer GT's in the morning.

bdmpastx
06-17-2003, 08:28 AM
I loved having the chance to finally get to run the GT race. I had tons of fun and it was less intemidating than the endurance. It was great having it after the endurance. My team would not let me ride the GT race if it was before the endurance out of fear that if I crash, they would be put out of the endurance race. I am all for having it after the endurance. As long as it is after the endurance, you can count me in for racing in it otherwise I am out...

Jeff Grant
06-17-2003, 10:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by John Orchard:
I personally prefer GT races on weekends where we don't endurance races</div></div>Good point... thanks for finishing my thought. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Brett
06-17-2003, 11:24 AM
I LOVED getting the endurance race going earlier and finishing earlier. The race was cooler and the day was much shorter for those who just wanted to endurance.

I also liked that you had a GT practice after the endurance, so if someone wanted to run the GT race they didn't have to be at the track at 8:00am, they could come in later for their race. However, if you move the GT race to the first in the morning, then start endurance practice after the GT races, giving the endurance teams a chance to sleep in late if they want.

Special thanks to the corner workers for the long day Saturday, I've been there before and know life is not easy on the side of the track.

Brett