PDA

View Full Version : longer jr. motard practice

cwjones
06-16-2003, 09:03 PM
I really think the junior motord should be longer than just two or three laps because in tws the prctice was over like that! i think the practice should at least be 4 or 5 laps and the race to. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Walter Walker
06-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Help me find a way to make the days longer and I'll do it.

cwjones
06-17-2003, 09:13 AM
thanks! i will try to figure out something, i just wish the days were longer. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Jiveturky
06-17-2003, 05:33 PM
This probably won't fly but I will say it anyway. If the Junior motard race and practice is for the small kids that can't race a YSR. Then run them through lunch. Make the parents corner work and keep one dad or mom at the finish to wave a flag and count the first three places. I always thought something more should be happening during lunch. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Don't get me wrong I realize that the workers and officials have to eat.

later, Eric

Kim Walker
06-18-2003, 01:35 AM
We actually tried to do the parent volunteer thing. It only happened one weekend. The next time, the parents were signed up and no one showed up! I like to watch the kids race and don't mind scoring it. I do like to have a few minutes to myself for lunch though. It's tough sitting out there all day in the weather. Besides that, it's kinda hard to eat with my left hand and score MWSS Am with my right. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

We are trying to get more time in for the kiddos. Just bare with us. This weekend at TWS, I talked Walter into making it a 3 lap race. The schedule was already very tight and we are trying to add more time where we can.

Keith Hertell
06-18-2003, 10:47 AM
BTW - I think you and Walter are doing a fantastic job. I never could have imagined how well things would be after Charles and Connie.
They are a hard team to follow.
K

Eric Falt
06-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Kim and Walter, you do an excellent job. Thanks!

I wanted to put my thoughts into this. As a racer busy getting bikes ready, being a corner working parent is not an option for me. As most of the parents who have Jr. motard racers know, we spend a lot of time preparing the young ones for their race as they require constant guidance as far as gearing up and getting out to the track. If we are out on the track corner working, who is helping the little ones prepare for their race? With the time wasted to get the parents to their stations plus trying to prepare our little racers who need our guidance, I just donít see that being the best option. I do agree that another lap or two would be nice during the race however, we are just thankful for the opportunity for the little racers to ride in this quality type environment.

Thanks again for giving my son this opportunity to experience the excitement of racing.
Everyone is doing an excellent job! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Jiveturky
06-18-2003, 08:18 PM
To all you parents. I have a 2002 KTM Pro JR. 50 for sale. I will take an xr 50 in as partial trade. It has motard tires on currently.
See 4-Sale page, Eric

cwjones
06-18-2003, 08:46 PM
well! instead of making them longer just have more than one race, like two or so. if the other people can why can't we.

David Branyon
06-18-2003, 10:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by colby jones:
well! instead of making them longer just have more than one race, like two or so. if the other people can why can't we.</div></div>Colby, watch out what you ask for. If you're not careful, you'll be granted full CMRA priviledges, like paying $65 for your first sprint entry instead of $10. You're a participant in the jr. mini-motard, right?

I'd encourage you to enjoy the "dipping the toe in the shallow end" that you get in mini-motard and to step up to a YSR50 when the opportunity presents itself and you'll have a host of races to run. My $.02 worth.

David Branyon
06-18-2003, 11:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Kim Walker:
We actually tried to do the parent volunteer thing. It only happened one weekend. The next time, the parents were signed up and no one showed up! <snip></div></div>Kim, 1st thanks for all you do!

I must say though that last time at MSR, parents were signed up, we were sitting at pit out with our kids, and no one was there to direct us. I was supposed to start the race, but no one was there to say where it would start from or tell me where the flags were or anything. Then, someone came over about :20 after the race was supposed to start and said that anyone going on the track had to have full leathers and helmet. That pretty much ruled out the entire parent contingent. If we had been told earlier that we would have to be in full leathers to ride an XR100 to the start station or corner, or ride chase, we could have done it, but we weren't told. Maybe we should have guessed or something but...

Anyway, just saying that I think parents are willing to do their part to help out if there is enough organization and all to give some direction.

Nothing negative here, just saying we're willing. As someone else said though, it is difficult to work a corner when you are also getting the little guy out to the grid. I think things went pretty well at TWS. Congrats to all!

Side note: I came home, and my mini-motarder was out in the backyard playing with his little sister when he burst in the back door to tell me that he had it figured out. He could get a YSR for next year and run minis and his little sister could take over on the XR70 running jr. mini-motard! He was quite proud of his plan.

Growing new racers... cool!

Kim Walker
06-19-2003, 09:46 AM
David (and everyone),
Thanks for your kind words. If I didn't have a great time doing what I do, then I wouldn't do it. I have as much fun scoring as you guys do racing and I love the opportunity I get to interact with everyone at tech.

I didn't realize this had happened, was just told no parents were there. The only parent that had to be in full leathers and helmet was the spotter. I'm sure this was a misunderstanding at the gate. Sorry about that.

We understand that you guys have alot to do to get the kids ready. They take more time than the "big kids" do. I can't wait for my daughter to be old enough to have some fun out there. Anyway, that's one of the reasons we decided to make it an official race and put it into the schedule along with practice.

Since we did this, the kiddos must bring their bikes through tech (with receipts). They have a blast doing it. They love to get the stickers on their bikes and helmets. We are making the race and practice a little longer this time also. When this class started, there wasn't alot of daylight and time. With Daylight Savings Time, the days are much longer. Unfortunately, we still have a very tight schedule. We are increasing slowly to make sure the time is OK. So far, so good. Notice the additions to the Hallett schedule once its posted.