PDA

View Full Version : Colin on Hayden's Ride

E. Templet
09-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Bawwwaaaheeehaaa!! Go Colin!! You gotta admit, he tells it like it is! Right On, dude!

Perhaps I'm a bit biased. I never heard of Colin till last year and after watching him race and deal with all the issues associated with racing within a team and handling the pressure... I believe his is the greatest Superbike rider in the world right now. It's a pity just being the best rider doesn't make it all happen for you.

Yes, I can understand Honda's decision. Colin said it himself, it's all about money and what you bring to the sport as a rider. Hayden has a huge fan base in the US and perhaps, they will try to capitalize on that aspect. Who knows? I just know, I'd like to see Colin given a chance at whatever level he chooses to compete. He is a class act and a fierce competitor. Go get em' dude!

Oops! Forgot the link http://www.motorcyclenews.com/racing?sectionID=52497&navID=36

E. Templet
09-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Bawwwaaaheeehaaa!! Go Colin!! You gotta admit, he tells it like it is! Right On, dude!

Perhaps I'm a bit biased. I never heard of Colin till last year and after watching him race and deal with all the issues associated with racing within a team and handling the pressure... I believe his is the greatest Superbike rider in the world right now. It's a pity just being the best rider doesn't make it all happen for you.

Yes, I can understand Honda's decision. Colin said it himself, it's all about money and what you bring to the sport as a rider. Hayden has a huge fan base in the US and perhaps, they will try to capitalize on that aspect. Who knows? I just know, I'd like to see Colin given a chance at whatever level he chooses to compete. He is a class act and a fierce competitor. Go get em' dude!

Oops! Forgot the link http://www.motorcyclenews.com/racing?sectionID=52497&navID=36

ysr612
09-25-2002, 07:43 PM
ama super bike had an interview too. I hope he wins imola and everything next year.

ysr612
09-25-2002, 07:43 PM
ama super bike had an interview too. I hope he wins imola and everything next year.

G Man
09-25-2002, 08:09 PM
I think Colin nailed it on the head! He is from the old School, Where you would think your riding would get you the ride. Go colin Go, Man I like that guy more than ever right now. Honda should have at least let Nicky go race against Colin when the AMA races were over.

G Man
09-25-2002, 08:09 PM
I think Colin nailed it on the head! He is from the old School, Where you would think your riding would get you the ride. Go colin Go, Man I like that guy more than ever right now. Honda should have at least let Nicky go race against Colin when the AMA races were over.

Bryan Norton
09-25-2002, 08:11 PM
I knew of Colin before I knew of the CMRA.
I remember the article from the motorcycle magazine I had cut out...

What did you do during spring break? Colin used his spring break to go win the Daytona 250cc class, then returned to school...

I also saw him when he came to Oak Hill, and Andre Espallate (SP-sorry) let him ride his RC51 to lead the spectator lap. I still have a fuzzy picture of him pulling a wheely as he entered the front straight...
(and no, we didn't fine him)

Bryan Norton
09-25-2002, 08:11 PM
I knew of Colin before I knew of the CMRA.
I remember the article from the motorcycle magazine I had cut out...

What did you do during spring break? Colin used his spring break to go win the Daytona 250cc class, then returned to school...

I also saw him when he came to Oak Hill, and Andre Espallate (SP-sorry) let him ride his RC51 to lead the spectator lap. I still have a fuzzy picture of him pulling a wheely as he entered the front straight...
(and no, we didn't fine him)

Charles Brothers
09-25-2002, 10:52 PM
I'd have to say he's probably my favorite rider too.
Do you know how he got into roadracing?
Colin and his dad rode their streetbikes out to Oak Hill and watched one of our races. Can you imagine that? A spectator decides to give it a try and ten years later returns to Oak Hill as World Champion?

I think one of his first races was with MIchael Carter's YSR endurance team.
The first time I noticed him was at Oak Hill when this yellow plate came up and passed Doug Carmichael for the lead in one of those Red River Challenge races. He would have won too if he hadn't have ran out of gas.

He's an American sucess story for sure. He did it pretty much with a huge amount of talent, fierce competitveness, a positive attitude, and a sense of humor. They sure didn't have much money. Ronnie Lunsford and Erich Klementich helped him out in those early critical years. Oh yeah, and his dad. Like I always say, show me a successful racer and I'll show you a hard working dad.

Charles Brothers
09-25-2002, 10:52 PM
I'd have to say he's probably my favorite rider too.
Do you know how he got into roadracing?
Colin and his dad rode their streetbikes out to Oak Hill and watched one of our races. Can you imagine that? A spectator decides to give it a try and ten years later returns to Oak Hill as World Champion?

I think one of his first races was with MIchael Carter's YSR endurance team.
The first time I noticed him was at Oak Hill when this yellow plate came up and passed Doug Carmichael for the lead in one of those Red River Challenge races. He would have won too if he hadn't have ran out of gas.

He's an American sucess story for sure. He did it pretty much with a huge amount of talent, fierce competitveness, a positive attitude, and a sense of humor. They sure didn't have much money. Ronnie Lunsford and Erich Klementich helped him out in those early critical years. Oh yeah, and his dad. Like I always say, show me a successful racer and I'll show you a hard working dad.

SMILEYMAN
09-26-2002, 09:14 AM
Positive attitude...check, sense of humor...check, feirce competitiveness...check, Talent...um, uhh, lets see...nope. I guess the CMRA is going to be stuck with me a while! Thats OK with me though, cause I love you guys!
And I won't worry too much for Colin, he could win on a VESPA!

SMILEYMAN
09-26-2002, 09:14 AM
Positive attitude...check, sense of humor...check, feirce competitiveness...check, Talent...um, uhh, lets see...nope. I guess the CMRA is going to be stuck with me a while! Thats OK with me though, cause I love you guys!
And I won't worry too much for Colin, he could win on a VESPA!

Shane Adair
09-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Colin is a truly gracious individual. My family and I went to Laguna Seca this summer and had a wonderful time. My daughters wanted to get a picture with Nicky Hayden and Ben Bostrum. Nicky was great, Ben never showed and then there's Colin, whom my girls didn't even know. They do now! Colin's girl Friday had been trying to pull him away from the crowd for about 10 minutes, he just kept smiling at her and continued to sign autographs. As he started to walk away, I asked if I could get a picture of him with my 8 year old daughter. His answer was, "Absolutely, I'd be delighted." We thanked him and as he turned I told him the CMRA sure is proud of you. He turned back and said "They're a great bunch of guys."
Shane #760AM

Shane Adair
09-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Colin is a truly gracious individual. My family and I went to Laguna Seca this summer and had a wonderful time. My daughters wanted to get a picture with Nicky Hayden and Ben Bostrum. Nicky was great, Ben never showed and then there's Colin, whom my girls didn't even know. They do now! Colin's girl Friday had been trying to pull him away from the crowd for about 10 minutes, he just kept smiling at her and continued to sign autographs. As he started to walk away, I asked if I could get a picture of him with my 8 year old daughter. His answer was, "Absolutely, I'd be delighted." We thanked him and as he turned I told him the CMRA sure is proud of you. He turned back and said "They're a great bunch of guys."
Shane #760AM

mcstealth
09-28-2002, 09:13 PM
The Honda Brass set up Colin. First they go with a one-man team. Then they don't develop the bike for over half the season. Then the Brass tell Colin that Honda was cutting way back in Superbike or quitting altogether. They tell him there is no way to let him go MotoGP because he's American and sponsorship and other Bull Sh*t.

These actions makes Colin search for another ride. He has to with all this info!!! What Honda really wants is no competition against Rossi. Colin could do it and they know it. They wanted Colin to leave and make it look like it was his choice. Agin, bull sh*t because they forced his hand.

Through sheer will and determination Colin stays in the hunt for a championship without Honda Japans help.

Honda Japan signs Hayden. What a blow to Colin this must be.

Now Colin takes the lead in WSB and can win the championship tomorrow. I hope the Honda Brass are shamed and embarassed. I hope Colin rips them a new one. They surley ripped him.

David

mcstealth
09-28-2002, 09:13 PM
The Honda Brass set up Colin. First they go with a one-man team. Then they don't develop the bike for over half the season. Then the Brass tell Colin that Honda was cutting way back in Superbike or quitting altogether. They tell him there is no way to let him go MotoGP because he's American and sponsorship and other Bull Sh*t.

These actions makes Colin search for another ride. He has to with all this info!!! What Honda really wants is no competition against Rossi. Colin could do it and they know it. They wanted Colin to leave and make it look like it was his choice. Agin, bull sh*t because they forced his hand.

Through sheer will and determination Colin stays in the hunt for a championship without Honda Japans help.

Honda Japan signs Hayden. What a blow to Colin this must be.

Now Colin takes the lead in WSB and can win the championship tomorrow. I hope the Honda Brass are shamed and embarassed. I hope Colin rips them a new one. They surley ripped him.

David

E. Templet
09-29-2002, 09:02 AM
Rossi was complaining that Honda wanted a Japanese rider to win aboard the new bike. RRW had an interesting article about Moto GP racing where PR is taking center stage and Rossi's team manager is upset about it. I always lean to the money issue, after all that is usually the driving factor. Honda believes they can make more money with Hayden in the GP seat.

My personal opinon is that if Colin's managers would work on developing a huge fan base in the US and around the world, he would have allot more to bring to the table. Look at Frankie Chile in WSB(SP?) He doesn't even run up front but he fans love him.

E. Templet
09-29-2002, 09:02 AM
Rossi was complaining that Honda wanted a Japanese rider to win aboard the new bike. RRW had an interesting article about Moto GP racing where PR is taking center stage and Rossi's team manager is upset about it. I always lean to the money issue, after all that is usually the driving factor. Honda believes they can make more money with Hayden in the GP seat.

My personal opinon is that if Colin's managers would work on developing a huge fan base in the US and around the world, he would have allot more to bring to the table. Look at Frankie Chile in WSB(SP?) He doesn't even run up front but he fans love him.

derby
10-01-2002, 10:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My personal opinon is that if Colin's managers would work on developing a huge fan base in the US and around the world, he would have allot more to bring to the table. Look at Frankie Chile in WSB(SP?) He doesn't even run up front but he fans love him.
</div></div>Colin manages himself.

derby
10-01-2002, 10:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My personal opinon is that if Colin's managers would work on developing a huge fan base in the US and around the world, he would have allot more to bring to the table. Look at Frankie Chile in WSB(SP?) He doesn't even run up front but he fans love him.
</div></div>Colin manages himself.

Brad Thomas
10-01-2002, 12:49 PM
And manage well he does. 2 time WORLD SUPERBIKE CHAMPION! nuff said.

Brad Thomas
10-01-2002, 12:49 PM
And manage well he does. 2 time WORLD SUPERBIKE CHAMPION! nuff said.

E. Templet
10-01-2002, 10:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chris Derby:
</div></div>Colin manages himself.</div></div>There's the problem. PR...that's where it's at.

E. Templet
10-01-2002, 10:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Chris Derby:
</div></div>Colin manages himself.</div></div>There's the problem. PR...that's where it's at.

Brad Thomas
10-02-2002, 11:04 AM
Hmmmmmmmm, did PR ever win a race, a championship? :rolleyes:

Brad Thomas
10-02-2002, 11:04 AM
Hmmmmmmmm, did PR ever win a race, a championship? :rolleyes:

E. Templet
10-02-2002, 12:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by bt racer brad thomas:
Hmmmmmmmm, did PR ever win a race, a championship? :rolleyes: </div></div>That was not my inferrence. The topic of this thread concerns a qualified rider procuring a ride in the upper classes of racing. My contention is that good Manager/Publicist can provide a rider with more opportunities than the racer is capable on his own.

My personal opinion is that Colin should hire someone to handle this, get on the band wagon and make millions using his name alone. He's already done the hard part. Strike while the iron is hot. Then he will bring money to the table.

Heck, he could promote Texas to the Europeans and be a boon to the Texas economy. Hmmm...Vist the tracks and attend a club race where Colin got his start. Visit the amazing Oak Hill race track in the quaint quiet town of Henderson TX. Yaddda yadda yadda.....He he. Hey, it could work.

Like I said, public relations is the key.

E. Templet
10-02-2002, 12:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by bt racer brad thomas:
Hmmmmmmmm, did PR ever win a race, a championship? :rolleyes: </div></div>That was not my inferrence. The topic of this thread concerns a qualified rider procuring a ride in the upper classes of racing. My contention is that good Manager/Publicist can provide a rider with more opportunities than the racer is capable on his own.

My personal opinion is that Colin should hire someone to handle this, get on the band wagon and make millions using his name alone. He's already done the hard part. Strike while the iron is hot. Then he will bring money to the table.

Heck, he could promote Texas to the Europeans and be a boon to the Texas economy. Hmmm...Vist the tracks and attend a club race where Colin got his start. Visit the amazing Oak Hill race track in the quaint quiet town of Henderson TX. Yaddda yadda yadda.....He he. Hey, it could work.

Like I said, public relations is the key.

Brad Thomas
10-02-2002, 01:30 PM
You said, "He (Colin) is a class act and a fierce competitor."
Apparently his PR worked on you. And by the way he always says hello to his friends and family back in Texas. His leathers and pit board carry his nickname TEXAS TORNADO. I for one am beaming with PRIDE in appreciation for our Texas ambassador, CMRA alum Colin Edwards.
He is truly a CLASS ACT!

He has worked very hard to earn HONDA a championship and they ignored him, they were not even speaking to him about a contract. This is why he entertained other offers and Ducati made a move to get him signed. He never bad mouthed HONDA and continued to praise them during post race interviews on the podium. AND he beats Nicky at Laguna. (nothing against Nicky, I'm happy for him and his MotoGP ride)

Maybe HONDA needs a PR lesson. If you want the public to continue buying your products "Don't Mess with TEXAS!" A guy gives you 5 years and 2 championships and you hesitate offering him a ride? DUH!!!!!!

Brad Thomas
10-02-2002, 01:30 PM
Apparently his PR worked on you. And by the way he always says hello to his friends and family back in Texas. His leathers and pit board carry his nickname TEXAS TORNADO. I for one am beaming with PRIDE in appreciation for our Texas ambassador, CMRA alum Colin Edwards.
He is truly a CLASS ACT!

He has worked very hard to earn HONDA a championship and they ignored him, they were not even speaking to him about a contract. This is why he entertained other offers and Ducati made a move to get him signed. He never bad mouthed HONDA and continued to praise them during post race interviews on the podium. AND he beats Nicky at Laguna. (nothing against Nicky, I'm happy for him and his MotoGP ride)

Maybe HONDA needs a PR lesson. If you want the public to continue buying your products "Don't Mess with TEXAS!" A guy gives you 5 years and 2 championships and you hesitate offering him a ride? DUH!!!!!!

SMILEYMAN
10-02-2002, 03:27 PM
I think Honda saw that colin was "fiercely competitive" and after watching him ride over his head all year they thought they would drop him from support so he wouldn't hurt himself... :p

SMILEYMAN
10-02-2002, 03:27 PM
I think Honda saw that colin was "fiercely competitive" and after watching him ride over his head all year they thought they would drop him from support so he wouldn't hurt himself... :p

E. Templet
10-05-2002, 02:02 AM
Apparently his PR worked on you. And by the way he always says hello to his friends and family back in Texas. His leathers and pit board carry his nickname TEXAS TORNADO <snip> DUH!!!!!!</div></div>I guess for every 100 you get a couple, but it still doesn't make it easy.

E. Templet
10-05-2002, 02:02 AM
Apparently his PR worked on you. And by the way he always says hello to his friends and family back in Texas. His leathers and pit board carry his nickname TEXAS TORNADO <snip> DUH!!!!!!</div></div>I guess for every 100 you get a couple, but it still doesn't make it easy.

mcstealth
10-07-2002, 07:39 PM
Nicky Hayden has been quiet, as well he should I guess, about how Honda has shafted Colin. Probably do him no good to say anything wrong about a company that just laid gold at his feet.

I hope Colin goes to Yamaha. I hope he gets the Yamaha to the top of the box. That would be more poetic than riding a lesser Honda on a satillite team on unproven tires. More poetic because, with Barros winning on his first ride on the Honda 5 Cyl, seems like any top level rider could win on it. GO to Yamaha Colin.

I do feel that the whole debacle was a set up, thrown upside down with Colin's herculean effort and winning of the SBK Title.

mcstealth
10-07-2002, 07:39 PM
Nicky Hayden has been quiet, as well he should I guess, about how Honda has shafted Colin. Probably do him no good to say anything wrong about a company that just laid gold at his feet.

I hope Colin goes to Yamaha. I hope he gets the Yamaha to the top of the box. That would be more poetic than riding a lesser Honda on a satillite team on unproven tires. More poetic because, with Barros winning on his first ride on the Honda 5 Cyl, seems like any top level rider could win on it. GO to Yamaha Colin.

I do feel that the whole debacle was a set up, thrown upside down with Colin's herculean effort and winning of the SBK Title.

E. Templet
10-07-2002, 08:38 PM
I not a proponent of being bitter but, it sure would be something to see Colin ride for another manufacturer and take the GP Championship next season. I'll bet that would smart just a tad.

I was amazed reading about Chris Walker's 4th place finish (Silverstone?)and the crowds going wild. I love the British/Europeans for that! Lots of times in the US, people don't even care who comes in second. I think we miss out in that respect.

E. Templet
10-07-2002, 08:38 PM
I not a proponent of being bitter but, it sure would be something to see Colin ride for another manufacturer and take the GP Championship next season. I'll bet that would smart just a tad.

I was amazed reading about Chris Walker's 4th place finish (Silverstone?)and the crowds going wild. I love the British/Europeans for that! Lots of times in the US, people don't even care who comes in second. I think we miss out in that respect.