PDA

View Full Version : Unbelieveable!!

Brooks Gremmels
06-18-2003, 10:05 AM
This morning I received the email (below) from a fellow racer, Eric Hicking. Eric has been racing with us this season on a beautiful KTM motard.
Eric, my 426 is spoken for the next three or four races but you are welcome to ride it later in the season.
Brooks

-----Original Message-----
From: Hickling, Eric J (N-Inconen) [mailto:eric.j.hickling@lmco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 6:26 PM
To: 'brooks.gremmels@shogunmotorsports.com'
Subject: Bike Robbery

Hi Brooks,

I get home from racing on Sunday and no food in the fridge so it's off to Taco Bell with my car, trailer and bike.

I order my dinner while keeping an eye on the car / bike.

Well, a guy pulls up in a green pickup and eyes my bike.

Next thing I know he or one of his children has calmly hooked it to his truck!

Well I jump up and run like hell toward them and he peels out - I thought I might be able to jump into the truck bed and bust out the rear window...

A good try - but no luck.

... However, in his attempt to avoid being stomped by the crazy biker chasing him on foot, he lost control of the trailer and it breaks free from his hitch. It flips over a couple of times and lands upside down -POW!

Next, some dummy in a Lumina plows into my already pretzeled bike / trailer even though he had 2 blocks to slow down from 30 MPH. (Duh - typical cage driver).

But the one thing I can be proud of is the amazing job of securing the bike with tie downs 'cause the bike never came free of the trailer even though both are bent up like modern art!

Well at least some guy at Taco Bell was watching and followed the guy - he went up the street and got the plate numbers while he the theif calmly pulled over about 1 mile away at Chicken Express to order dinner and argue with his girlfriend! I guess auto theft is hard work and he built up an appetite....

Ha! - What do you think of that ??

Er, ... Don't know if I can make the next race-

Eric

waytooslow
06-18-2003, 10:57 AM
OMG... freaking thieves!!! Did the ploice get them? Sorry to hear about this, especially after seeing the write up in "inside line".

scott

Jack Giesecke
06-18-2003, 02:10 PM
NOBODY better do that to me! First, he'd have to take the time to cut the lock with bolt cutters. By then my nine millimeter would be in his f*%#ing face! If he were diving off, my only thoughts would be, "shoot for the tires or his head?" In Texas, you have the legal right to protect property. I don't give a damn if the a&$hole had his kid with him, his kid don't need a daddy like that. Better off getting a lesson in life!

06-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Jack,

AFAIK: In Texas, without a visible and imminent threat to life or health, you can only legally shoot someone who's taking your property if it's NIGHT TIME.

Strange but true.

(So you should always carry a "throw down piece" like the cops do.) /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif :rolleyes:

06-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Damn Eric... sorry to hear about that... kepp us updated if the coppers nab the guy.

Travis Pierce
06-18-2003, 06:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">\ In Texas, you have the legal right to protect property. I don't give a damn if the a&$hole had his kid with him, his kid don't need a daddy like that. Better off getting a lesson in life![/QB]</div></div>Hey Jack, it is Legal in Louisiana. A vehicle and anything attached to it is considered an extension of your home. Also it is legal to carry a pistol in Louisiana in your vehicle as long as it is in view. You cannot conceal it. And most cops don't mind if you are honest and upfront about it and tell them you have one in the Vehicle. In Texas, if you tell them, they flip out and instantly want to put you in Jail.

Hey Eric, sorry to hear about your bike. That really sucks.

Travis Pierce
06-18-2003, 06:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> AFAIK: In Texas, without a visible and imminent threat to life or health, you can only legally shoot someone who's taking your property if it's NIGHT TIME.

Strange but true.

(So you should always carry a "throw down piece" like the cops do.) /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif :rolleyes: [/QB]</div></div>Andre, if you have a concealed permit and your life, somebody elses, or your property is in imminent danger(i.e being stolen from under your nose in this case), it is legal to shoot somebody to defend it.

In the concealed bylaws if you read, it is in black and white unless they have changed recently. When I was taking the class, that is how it was intreperted to me.

06-18-2003, 06:54 PM
It's the "or your property" part that doesn't apply. Life and limb or you or another, yes. Your hubcaps? No.

cedestech
06-18-2003, 08:07 PM
Shoot the bastard. Slap his stupid girl freind
for hanging out with such a looser and take the
kid for your own to raise correctly.

Put me on the jury and you'll not only go free
but any crap the bastard "leagaly" owns is your to dispose of for restitution.

Keep us posted.

E. Templet
06-18-2003, 08:42 PM
One of my fears as well. Not that you had one but, I often wonder why people put pictures of motorcycles and sponsors on thier enclosed trailers. That's like saying, "Hey, trailer load of nice bikes, tools and stuff."

I've given much though to what I could put on the side of my trailer to discourage thieves and the top three are:

3.) Gene's Septic Tank Cleaning

2.) Radioactive Waste Disposal Service

or the best one,

1.) Mobile Bible Study School, We're working for the Lord.

OK so I'm bored, but I really think of stuff like that...really. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Linz Leard
06-19-2003, 05:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Andre Espaillat:
Jack,

AFAIK: In Texas, without a visible and imminent threat to life or health, you can only legally shoot someone who's taking your property if it's NIGHT TIME.</div></div>Andre:

This is not universally true. It is merely a better defense to prosecution if you shoot someone stealing (or attempting to steal) your property under cover of darkness. The defense of personal property while imminent personal harm is questionable creates a gray area that will ultimately fall to the local and (then probably) state law enforcement agencies. One will need a good lawyer at this point.

Bryan Norton
06-19-2003, 08:18 AM
Gene-o

I had a friend of a friend who was going to do just that.
He had his tools stolen, his trailer was for home remodeling.
He was going to rename it to "bud's dirty diaper service"

m novak
06-19-2003, 09:06 AM
the whole shooting after dark thing is a law that had not been changed from cattle rustling times. I saw a show on it on Discovery channel once. It was a big stink because Repo men were trying to lobby to have the law changed in efforts to save thier butts.

Last night at work a friend told me that his dad was robbed at gun point, and as the guy was running out the front door one of his dad's regular customers shot the theif dead. Instant trial. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It is nice to hear when the good guys win.`

marcus mcbain
06-19-2003, 09:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by E. Templet:
I often wonder why people put pictures of motorcycles and sponsors on thier enclosed trailers. </div></div>Yeah, we have not put any stickers, etc. on anything over the years and I think that has helped us not experience any significant theft.

Marcus

waytooslow
06-19-2003, 10:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by E. Templet:

I've given much though to what I could put on the side of my trailer to discourage thieves and the top three are:

3.) Gene's Septic Tank Cleaning

2.) Radioactive Waste Disposal Service

or the best one,

1.) Mobile Bible Study School, We're working for the Lord.

OK so I'm bored, but I really think of stuff like that...really. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>sad thing is I thought of some of these as well :rolleyes:

scott

ysr612
06-19-2003, 10:37 AM
the bike that was stolen was on an open trailer. Even if he put a sign on it that said it was a dirty diaper only a few crooks would believe him.

Jack Giesecke
06-19-2003, 12:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Travis Pierce:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> AFAIK: In Texas, without a visible and imminent threat to life or health, you can only legally shoot someone who's taking your property if it's NIGHT TIME.

Strange but true.

(So you should always carry a "throw down piece" like the cops do.) /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif :rolleyes: </div></div>Andre, if you have a concealed permit and your life, somebody elses, or your property is in imminent danger(i.e being stolen from under your nose in this case), it is legal to shoot somebody to defend it.

In the concealed bylaws if you read, it is in black and white unless they have changed recently. When I was taking the class, that is how it was intreperted to me.[/QB]</div></div>You are exactly correct, sir. That's the way I learned the code in the CCW school. I've had a permit since they were available. And, since Texas has reciprocity with Louisiana (I love Louisiana!), I can legally carry there with my Texas permit.

I got stopped on the way to that TMS thing RPM did back when in La Grange. The cop asked if I was carrying when I showed him my permit. I said yes, he asked where, I said IWB. I had my .38 on me then. He took it, unloaded it, and gave me the gun and ammo back after writing me a ticket /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif . But, that's the only such paranoid LEO I've met and I've been stopped several times since. (I must learn what that damned speedo is for). Most LEOs, when you show 'em your permit, they know you are a good guy.

Jack Giesecke
06-19-2003, 01:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Mark Novak:
the whole shooting after dark thing is a law that had not been changed from cattle rustling times. I saw a show on it on Discovery channel once. It was a big stink because Repo men were trying to lobby to have the law changed in efforts to save their butts.

Last night at work a friend told me that his dad was robbed at gun point, and as the guy was running out the front door one of his dad's regular customers shot the thief dead. Instant trial. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It is nice to hear when the good guys win.`</div></div>This is a common story. I shoot IDPA with a guy that's shot and killed three robbers in his stores in Houston. He owns a chain of convenience stores. He tells me, "I hate thieves, love to shoot the bastards." "Hmm", I think when he says this, "cold blooded fellow, ain't he?" LOL. But, you rarely see these stories on the news.

Remember that guy in Houston that shot the repo guy hitching up to his truck in his driveway? Sees the guy with a tow truck, doesn't know it's a repo man (he claims. I mean, if I were behind three payments, I'd have to at least suspect), and grabs his .30-30 and shoots the guy dead in his truck. This guy got NO BILLED! Now, that was a very fishy deal IMHO. The guy should have confronted the guy at gun point IMHO with questions as to what he was doing there. I think this guy was mad, knew his truck might be being repoed, and shot the guy anyway. That's just my opinion. The grand jury didn't see it that way. There's probably some stuff I don't know about the case, though. When interviewed on the news, DA Johnny Holmes said the guy was within his rights to defend his property and if the law were put to a vote in Texas, it'd likely stand by an overwhelming majority, so case closed.

Brad Thomas
06-19-2003, 02:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Marcus McBain:
I often wonder why people put pictures of motorcycles and sponsors on thier enclosed trailers. </div></div>Yeah, we have not put any stickers, etc. on anything over the years and I think that has helped us not experience any significant theft.

Marcus</div></div>Marcus, didn't you have some things stolen a few years ago?
I would think since you are such an advocate for getting more sponsorship you would encourage racers to put sponsors on their trailers.

What about getting exposure for sponsors?
Isn't a trailer a great travelling billboard for the companies that sponsor us. It also gets the word out about road racing. I used my trailer to move some furniture for my mom and while I was pumping gas a guy asked me about the racing. I told him a little about the club thereby spreading the road racing gospel.

Eric, sorry to hear about your bike. Any chance your home or renters insurance could help?

06-19-2003, 05:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Linz Leard:
One will need a good lawyer at this point.</div></div>You're correct, but we're getting into the grey areas of law that most people don't appreciate.

The difference between "Shoot them for stealing your stuff" and "If you shoot them, call your lawyer immediately because you're going to jail until this gets resolved" is a huge leap that few will appreciate.

My experience says "If you need a good lawyer, you might have done something illegal."

When I took my CHL classes, we were specifically instructed on a section of the code that identifies use of a weapon in defense of theft of property at night. I'll try to look it up and post it here.

Jeff Grant
06-19-2003, 05:05 PM
Myself and Wade took the CHL class roughly 2 years back. During the instructor's teachings, he brought up this scenario:

A crook has your TV in his hands... you tell him to freeze and put the TV down at gunpoint... he does not do so and continues to leave with your TV. The instructor stated that is totally legal to shoot in the state of Texas. He also stated that you had better shoot to kill, or some attorney will probably try and turn the tables on you and file a lawsuit against YOU.

The point here is that if the crook is close enough to you to inflict bodily harm upon you (ie, drop the TV and go for a weapon himself), then you are not only protecting your property, but also the possibility that the criminal will fight back to make sure he gets away.

However, if the crook has your TV, and is half way down the street, back to you, then you bust out the rifle with laser/scope... no, that is not legal.

Anyway, I really hope I'm never in the kind of situation where the thought of taking a life over my TV set ever comes into play... but if he touches my bike...?? Well, ya know...

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif :p /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Jeff Grant
06-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Brad... I hear ya about the trailer graphics. Our LSTD trailer is a huge advertisment for us, as well as the big 'ol CMRA decal we have on it as well. Still, I can understand the advantage of stealth mode, and not wanting to have anything on it either.

Eric... sorry to hear about your woes. I guess one can never be TOO careful.

marcus mcbain
06-19-2003, 06:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Brad Thomas:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Marcus McBain:

Marcus</div></div>Marcus, didn't you have some things stolen a few years ago?
I would think since you are such an advocate for getting more sponsorship you would encourage racers to put sponsors on their trailers.

What about getting exposure for sponsors?
Isn't a trailer a great travelling billboard for the companies that sponsor us. It also gets the word out about road racing. I used my trailer to move some furniture for my mom and while I was pumping gas a guy asked me about the racing. I told him a little about the club thereby spreading the road racing gospel.
</div></div>Nothing stolen over $100.00 that I can remember. I would like to put some stuff on the trailer, but I can't justify the risk vs. reward at this point. I don't even put stuff on the pickup any longer to avoid conversations with streetsquids.

Marcus

TXFZ1
06-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Here is the link:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm

Here is the code:

9.42. Deadly Force to Protect Property

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

I don't think I would tell the judge that my CHL instructor said it was okay if I could shoot someone holding my TV during the daytime.

David

Travis Pierce
06-19-2003, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jeff Grant:
[QB]Myself and Wade took the CHL class roughly 2 years back. During the instructor's teachings, he brought up this scenario:

A crook has your TV in his hands... you tell him to freeze and put the TV down at gunpoint... he does not do so and continues to leave with your TV. The instructor stated that is totally legal to shoot in the state of Texas. He also stated that you had better shoot to kill, or some attorney will probably try and turn the tables on you and file a lawsuit against YOU.

The point here is that if the crook is close enough to you to inflict bodily harm upon you (ie, drop the TV and go for a weapon himself), then you are not only protecting your property, but also the possibility that the criminal will fight back to make sure he gets away.

Good Point Jeff, when I used to work at the Prison, I can't tell you how many inmates had lawsuits pending for being shot while they were theiving somebodys property and getting shot but the victim. 9 times out of 10 the inmates got off, received money for pain and suffering, and ended up getting out of prison on a couple of occasions that I can remember.
Texas law is not built for the victims, it is for the criminals, all I can say is, if you are man enough to point a gun, you better be man enough to kill because anything less than that will end you up in prison............

Jeff Grant
06-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Good info David.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by David Antilley:
I don't think I would tell the judge that my CHL instructor said it was okay if I could shoot someone holding my TV during the daytime.</div></div>Regarding the instructor's scenario... he never said that it was ok in the daytime (that's why I never mentioned it), but I didn't specify either.

Good point to bring up the night time issue, and that it's important to realize the if the crime is occurring at night, then an individual is protected moreso under the law.

Travis... sick to hear about those cases. Well, nobody said the legal system was perfect. All the more reason to REALLY UNDERSTAND the law if you're carrying a weapon.

TXFZ1
06-19-2003, 08:25 PM
A instructor told the story of teaching a class oneday. His buddy was there and somehow had gotten ahold of the instructors car keys w/alarm. When the instructor got to this part the friend hits the panic button on the car keys. Instructors goes running out the door reaching for his pistol expecting to find a thief stealing his car.

Came back in...mad as heck, saying something like "do as I say not as I do." The whole class had a big laugh. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

David

E. Templet
06-19-2003, 08:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Scott Millspaugh:
[QUOTE]sad thing is I thought of some of these as well :rolleyes:

scott</div></div>Great minds think alike. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

darick
06-19-2003, 09:30 PM
Marcus[/QB][/QUOTE]

[[/qb][/QUOTE]Nothing stolen over $100.00 that I can remember. I would like to put some stuff on the trailer, but I can't justify the risk vs. reward at this point. I don't even put stuff on the pickup any longer to avoid conversations with streetsquids.

Marcus,

This seems like a very narrow minded view of someone that could be the next Sanchez or Delano.
Not all street riders are squids these days but there are quite a few that don't know about what a great organization the CMRA is....especially if they are looking to stop racing on the street.
I say this because you could of called me a squid a year ago. Something to think about......spread the CMRA gospel I say!!!

E. Templet
06-19-2003, 09:52 PM
QUOTE]Nothing stolen over $100.00 that I can remember. I would like to put some stuff on the trailer, but I can't justify the risk vs. reward at this point. I don't even put stuff on the pickup any longer to avoid conversations with streetsquids.

Marcus[/QB]</div></div>Out of site, out ot mind. Perhaps I'm not as tough as I used to think I was. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

"Every time you pull a gun...plan on dying", (Deadwood Dix, "Cherokee Kid")

E. Templet
06-19-2003, 10:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by darick pash:
MarcusThis seems like a very narrow minded view of someone that could be the next Sanchez or Delano.
Not all street riders are squids these days but there are quite a few that don't know about what a great organization the CMRA is....especially if they are looking to stop racing on the street.
I say this because you could of called me a squid a year ago. Something to think about......spread the CMRA gospel I say!!!</div></div>Did you guys grow up in fantasy land?

Do you know what criminals a capable of doing for just a few bucks? There are some really bad people out there. It doesn't make sense to advertise $10K worth of bikes in the back of a trailer. Add the truck trailer and bikes and you are probably close to $30k. What stands between a criminal and $30k? A tired racer and his wife at 2:am on a lonely stretch highway and no witnesses. Good grief, think about it, and tell me it's worth the risk.

I'm going with the radioactive signs. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Then again, can they read? Do they know what the signs mean? Hmmmmmm.....

Jack Giesecke
06-20-2003, 01:08 PM
Good point about civil suits, civil court being rather screwball and not responding to logic. You can get off for the shooting in criminal court and still lose everything you have, which in my case ain't much, in civil court. I mean, just ask OJ. But, hey, if the #%$hole is driving off with my bikes? Well, a dead man can't sue and his widow wasn't there. I'd take my chances. Yeah, my instructor stressed the civil thing, too, to always think of whether going through all that is worth it. Well, for the bikes it might be even if my combined race bike fleet ain't worth Marcus's GSXR, LOL. It took a lot of setup and building time for those minis and some cash. I don't feel like giving them away without a fight.

Now, if someone stole my TV, I'd probably not even miss it until Two Wheel Tuesday.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Yuliya Marcer
06-20-2003, 02:26 PM
Boy, I sure am late to this one..

Like it was pointed out, it is important to distinguish a criminal prosecution from a civil (tort) case. One has to do with a possibility of criminal penalties including jail time for using deadly force to protect property; the other one has to do with paying buckets of money to an *** who tried to steal your stuff and got hurt.

With criminal - it depends.. (great answer isn't it.. god I love being a lawyer LOL) Primarily it is going to depend on whether the D.A. is having a bad day or not. He may decide the incident is not worth a grand jury or information (when indictment is made by DA's office without grand jury) and just not bother.

With civil - use of deadly force is NEVER justified for protection of property alone. Different story if there was threat to human life, for example a house break in in the middle of the night - the risk that the robber will get spooked and harm the occupants is too high to disallow it. But rigging boobie-traps in an otherwise unoccupied building (a business for example) that would cause serious bodily harm or death to someone who may trigger it will inevitably result in civil damages - I guess the logic behind it is that no property is worth a human life, only a threat to another human life may justify the taking of a life. Am I making any sense here?

Oh.. I already got my ambulance chaser jokes of the day from Working Class Racing, so don't bother LOL

Yuliya

Jack Giesecke
06-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Well, just let it be known to would-be thieves out there that MY bikes are worth YOUR life, to me anyway. Just ask yourself, is YOUR life worth risking for MY bikes? I consider being shot to death a hazard of the occupation. I hope you feel that next rock of crack is worth your life.

'nuf said. I'll risk a tort case. I mean, after all, the "can't squeeze blood from a turnip" refrain comes to mind here.

In that scenario, though, guy driving off with the trailer, shooting for the tires, if it can be done safely, seems more intelligent than a head shot, try to catch the a$$hole alive. I mean, then he'd only be able to sue me for his damaged tire, right? If I had to kill him, though, I'd not lose any sleep over it, not over his passing anyway. A thief is a waste of good O2 IMHO, and maybe someone could use one of his organs or something.

twg
06-21-2003, 04:57 PM
I like the boobie trap idea, but understand the consequences, drats. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

However, knowing it is impossible to be 100% effective in preventing theft. The next option is to make it so difficult that the thief will look for an easier target. These are some ideas:
1. Lock the hitch (Fulton makes good hitch locks)
2. Weld the nut onto the trailer ball
3. Put locks through the last link on the safety chain
4. Use three cable locks on the bike (Brinks or Krytonite)
5. Lock the receiver hitch also.
6. Lock everything.

Then the thief will not spend the time messing with your stuff and go after something easier.

Oh I don't sleep well in the hotels either. I'm up 100 times, maybe that is why I am slow, too tired to race.

twg

E. Templet
06-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Tom, those are some really cool ideas.

If nothing else, this discussion has motivated me to further secure my investment. I did consider a motion detector for the inside of the trailer, just in case. That should work well in motel parking lots, or would it?

Jack Giesecke
06-21-2003, 08:06 PM
Mine is an open trailer and I have the same problem with motels. I much prefer to trust the bikes at the track in the paddock than drag them into town. If I have them with me at the motel, I back up into somewhere where it'll be impossible to get the trailer out, or try to. I've got locks on the trailer and receiver, but don't lock the bikes. That's a good idea. Think I'll look into that! Yeah, in this instance just having the trailer and receiver locked might have deterred this spur of the moment theft.

cwjones
06-21-2003, 09:09 PM
this might sound stupid but it would be cool to put a alarm system on your trailer for if you go to eat or something. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

racer550
06-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Any time I roll, I lock up the bike (noticeably so), the hitch is locked, and my receiver. I think the heavy cable and padlock will deter most theives. That, and my bike is really old and ugly. Kinda suits me! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

marcus mcbain
06-21-2003, 11:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by darick pash:
Marcus,

This seems like a very narrow minded view of someone that could be the next Sanchez or Delano.
I say this because you could of called me a squid a year ago. Something to think about......spread the CMRA gospel I say!!!</div></div>Actually I think LSTD and RideSmart are for all intents and purposes the gateway for the rider that wants to get off the street on to the track. It is refreshing to see an attitude change (of the street riders) the first time they come off the track and become "ready to learn" (which I think are most).

StreetSquids (And I will say I was nothing short of one on my 1980 Honda Nighthawk 750 with Batbike 4 into 4 exhausts /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ) may be a harsh term, but I would rather talk to "street riders" at a track day when the BS walks and reality talks. You get a much more receptive audience and it allows effective communication. Any conversation on Westheimer is either about the *** mile wheelie the rider or buddy rode or about how the person had to "lay it down" or be killed...

As far as the original argument. I will say criminals are fearless and will steal what is the most obvious thing they can. I have a feeling the $1375.00 motor that was stolen and sold to me recently was one of the typical thefts. EIN's really are difficult to track. Had I not taken it upon myself to call the Police, no one (including me) would have ever known. I am more than sure that the bike that the motor was stolen from was more than likely stolen +/- 24hrs from the time I struck a price with SMD. How freakin' ballsy is that? The thief knows that once the frame (VIN) is gone, it is almost impossible to track any other S/N's. I make a report with the detective Tuesday of next week. I am going to try and find out the exact day of theft. It will be interesting.

I have as a practice not told my neighbors I race or have a motorcycle, nor do I even regularly roll my stuff into the driveway to give notice. I have had high $$$ bicycles, tools, and everything else ripped off in the past and it usually turns out to be someone associated with a neighbor (neighbor's friend/accomplice) or the really nice "streetsquid" that was admiring the motorcycle a few days ago.

Marcus

LWSB464
06-24-2003, 03:44 PM
I like the "Radioactive Waste". Not only would
it deter theft but, I wouldn't even park near this trailer. No door dings,etc.!

Eric Kelcher
06-24-2003, 05:21 PM
yep radioactive sticker that makes sense :rolleyes: You do understand that are requirements behind such markings right? CDL license, log books, shipment tracking, trailer tracking etc etc?

The dirty diaper disposal company though sounds pretty good from someone that has expeireinced truck/trailer theft due to trailer markings.

E. Templet
06-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Eric, you have the sense of humor of an FBI agent. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If I get stopped, I'll swear that's the name of my favorite band! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif