PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Teknic.........

Nathaniel Orona
06-20-2003, 01:50 PM
After my 100 mph high-side coming out of the chicane onto the front straight sunday I finally had a chance to look over my leathers. What I found was scary. Almost every vital part came undone at the stitching. Both knees came apart as well as both arms. The right side back and shoulder also came apart at the stitching. Lastly, the butt came undone on both sides, once again, stitching. Has anyone seen this with their Teknic leathers too? I called Teknic and gave them an earfull because had my knee not come apart at the stitching on the side, I would not have had to had minor surgery to close the huge hole in my leg up. Teknic had me send them the leathers so they could look them over and see what and why it happened. I only hope they resolve this in an appropriate manner. As of right now, I will never own another Teknic suit.

Nate Weber
06-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Nate O.,
I was wondering how you were doing? I hope they got you patched up in surgey without too much pain or complication. That's BS about those leathers!!!!!

Mike Rusert my teammate had an easy slow lowside at MSR last year during the last race and last sprint of the season. His Teknic Chicanes came apart at the stitching also. For no real reason because there is hardly any damage to the leather itself. I think they only single stitch them and they're made very cheaply.

I'm buying a new set of leathers and for this reason and now yours confirming it, I won't buy Teknics either.

Hope you get better quick!!!!!
Talk to you soon.
Nate W.

Steve McNamara
06-20-2003, 02:37 PM
Vanson Leathers. Worth every $$$$

Saw your pics Orona. Ouch... Hope you heal well.

John Orchard
06-20-2003, 02:42 PM
I'll second the Vanson props - MotoLiberty usually has several sets in stock too.

Nate Weber
06-20-2003, 03:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Vanson Leathers. Worth every $$$$ </div></div>Notice he put 4 dollar signs /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Nathaniel Orona
06-20-2003, 03:19 PM
I did notice the 4 $ signs. I'd have to miss a race or 2 to pay for a set of Vanson's. Luckily, one of my sponsors, Grand Prix Motoring, has a hookup for me on a brand new set of Spidi's. Darn I hate breaking in new leathers. The knee looks pretty gross. Kevin Mays almost threw up when I showed it to him at the track. Not cool being able to see your knee cap and the ligaments. I will say this though, my Teknic gloves held up great, if only the leathers had.

darick
06-20-2003, 03:47 PM
Nathaniel,

I was wearing a Dainese K suit when I had my hi-side coming out of T10. One side of my butt came loose at the stitching but thankfully there was another layer in there /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif My right shoulder wore completely thru the Racersupply patch I had there but the inner liner has a shoulder cup and it saved my shoulder from rash. My brand spankin new Teknic Speedstars kept my hands free from harm. Awesome gloves! Glad I dont have their leather suit tho /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Steve McNamara
06-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Guys,
My skin is worth every dollar!!!!!
I would spend 5 grand not to have Nathaniel's knee injury.....
I suggest great leathers before suspension upgrades,motor work, or exhaust.

Jack Giesecke
06-20-2003, 04:50 PM
My Teknic suit has been crashed some number of times now. When the KX stuck off the start of a heavy mini race full lean in T2, last year I think it was, some stitching came loose in the back, but I slid from maybe 80 mph to zero with the bike on top of me on the same spot in the leathers and was totally protected, not even any rash or a bruise! When I sent them to Barnicle Bill's for repair, he told me Teknic stitching is "known for this". He was not at all surprised the stitching came loose. I crashed hard at Katy earlier this year, shoulder is STILL sore and it's been three months almost. Wasn't going more'n 40 mph at most, but I hit hard. The stitching in part of the right leg came loose after a while, probably as result of that crash. Now, I'm still wearing the suit, but next one likely won't be a Teknic suit. I ain't into $5000 suits like Steve, I'm a poor boy, would have to mortgage the house for that much money, LOL, but I'm going to look at other suits. I got this suit from newenough.com at a good price, but it's a $600 suit normally and for that price I expect better. There are other good suits in that price range, under 1K, that work. I've not heard too much bad about AGV, for instance. For a little more, lots of people like Syed.

I'm going to continue on for now with the Teknic since I'm mostly racing the little tracks. It's plenty good 'nuf for minis. But, I do want a better suit when the time comes.

Steve McNamara
06-20-2003, 05:03 PM
Vansons are around $1600.00-$2000.00.
Their repair service is exceptional. In theory the last suit I'll need, as long as I don't outgrow it. :-) I prefer the suit with the double front zippers. When I broke my collar bone, they were still able to get me out of them without scissors. I sent it in for reconditioning after that collar bone /Cresson crash. They replaced the damaged panels, and re-dyed. They came back looking new!!!

Travis Pierce
06-20-2003, 06:26 PM
Alpinestars *******

marcus mcbain
06-20-2003, 06:31 PM
From what I have seen over the years, the following seem to made of great leather and good stitching...

Bates
Vanson
Spyke
Helimot
Ku****ani
Barnacle Bills
Syed
RS Tachi
Alpine Stars
Spidi

Those are the ones that come to mind when I think of guys that have crashed and the leathers held up.

The worst...

Dang-Cheezys
Fieldsheer
Tecknic

Marcus

Mathew Wise
06-20-2003, 06:34 PM
Don't forget to check out Racer Supply and their custom suits. I haven't checked their prices, but the suits look comperable to Vanson. Next suit I buy, I will check them out. I would rather give my money to local guys who are at the track, and I have always wanted a custom made suit. For off the rack suits, go see Audry at Moto Liberty. She has a great selection in stock to try on. Buy a discount suit if you have a discount butt. :p You get what you pay for.

Jack Giesecke
06-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Surely, Matt, you're not old enough to remember that old Bell helmet ad? I remember it from the early '70s, "If you have a ten dollar head, wear a ten dollar helmet." /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

marcus mcbain
06-20-2003, 07:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Matt Wise:
Don't forget to check out Racer Supply and their custom suits. I haven't checked their prices, but the suits look comperable to Vanson. Next suit I buy, I will check them out. I would rather give my money to local guys who are at the track, and I have always wanted a custom made suit. For off the rack suits, go see Audry at Moto Liberty. She has a great selection in stock to try on. Buy a discount suit if you have a discount butt. :p You get what you pay for.</div></div>Doohhh...Yes, I think Shane has thoroughly shown those leathers (Racer Supply) hold up great under crash conditions and price wise they are the best out there.

Marcus

Keith Hertell
06-20-2003, 07:32 PM
You forgot Z Custom. Very good custom leathers.

darick
06-20-2003, 07:49 PM
I told Shane to throw those new leathers on the ground BEFORE he wore them. It breaks the whole new leather magnetic attraction to the ground away /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

spearer
06-20-2003, 08:47 PM
I crashed back in ---well a long time ago in some bargain leathers that came apart and I would have gladly paid several thousand dollars then to make the pain go away. The moral is pay up front.

darick
06-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Marcus McBain:

From what I have seen over the years, the following seem to made of great leather and good stitching...

Bates
Vanson
Spyke
Helimot
Ku****ani
Barnacle Bills
Syed
RS Tachi
Alpine Stars
Spidi

Those are the ones that come to mind when I think of guys that have crashed and the leathers held up.

The worst...

Dang-Cheezys
Fieldsheer
Tecknic

Marcus

I'd have to say my Dang-cheezys (Dainese K suit)
held together pretty damn good. I didn't have one rash on me after my spectacular get off and most leathers that see the ground hard need a little stitchin here n there.

ysr612
06-20-2003, 08:55 PM
I have kevlar and they look bad after a crash but do not let body parts near the track.

Like leather many times you can not tell that you got off the bike but when you can there is thread sticking out all over.

Bob Cronin
06-20-2003, 10:35 PM
Being that I have a Teknic I am bit concerned with these comments. I have already 'product tested' my suit and it is fine. Scuffed up sure, but fine.
When commenting on the good and bad of these suits and the durability, what are you using as your baseline? Wrecks on pavement? Grass? Airfence? Combinations of these?
Are you commenting on stitching or thickness of the leather? Or both?
If it is stitching then I may want to go to someone in the off season and have another row put into my suit.
Our hobby has a lot of the 'you get what you paid for' items in it. We also have a lot of opinions as to what is good or not. If my get off is as violent as another but it all comes down to how I landed, rolled, flipped, whatever...the gear is going to react accordingly right? So what is the deciding factor as to what is to be concidered premier gear? Is it money?
Before answering, think about the new guys coming into the sport that are still trying to figure out how to play safe and not tie up a lot of money. I am big on pushing gear, tires, and brakes. Other stuff I may skimp on if I had to. We did that last year. This year we are spending more. Try not to influence these new guys into spending money on stuff that they may not get use out of because of a name.

Keith Hertell
06-20-2003, 11:12 PM
My 1st set of leathers were Dianese.
After 1 highside out of turn 2 at OH the *** was blown out.
They are GREAT looking and feeling leathers but are NOT worth the $$$ if you are roadracing.
Dainese = posers only
IMHO

colin fowler
06-21-2003, 08:28 AM
I had a big get-off in T-1 at Oak Hill back in the old days. Big slide and tumble time in my Dianese suit, no failures and no abrassions. I guess it depends on specifics of your situation but those leathers made me a believer. I now own a Safety Pro suit and, knock knock, have not tested them. Best fit and comfort I've ever had, imho they are good suits. I haven't crash tested as many the Goggles.

Colin

Jack Giesecke
06-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Bob-In my extensive crash testing of the Teknic Chicane suit :rolleyes: , all on pavement, not dirt unfortunately, I have found the quality of the leather above expectations. It is the stitching that tends to let go. Restitching everything might be an answer. That crash in T2 at TWS, I only had to have a small portion replaced, but the stitching had ripped. The Teknics are well armored and I'm not too worried about mine. I've already seen they're better than my 20+ year old Daineses that they replaced. Those old Daineses, though, have been down the road many times and are STILL original! They were damned fine leathers in their day, just didn't have the padding and armor that stuff has now days. Back then, most suits, lining was optional! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I would get road rashed right through the leather from the leather abrading the skin. With all the padding and armor, my Teknic suit doesn't do that.

eric hagerty
06-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Nate,
If your looking for race durable I would avoid Spidi. Last year I hi-sided in T6 @ Oakhill and about ripped the thing off me. The left leg tore across the seam @ the groin and exposed the $$$$.

Also the leather just opened up like sardines in other areas. And it is a long way to Italy to fix them, at least Tecknic is in the states.

The local repair places told me the fancy Italian leathers are not repair friendly so it costs you.

I am still saving for my custom Syed and I would have to recommend the same to you. They seem to be very popular in the CMRA, ask around.

Good luck in your recovery....

erikfrank
06-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Can't go wrong with Vanson. I've got a Vanson jacket for street riding and it is extremely well built.

I've also had issues with Teknic gloves falling apart.

twg
06-21-2003, 12:03 PM
I haven't tried any thing but Vansons. Three crashes in the same suit and it still doesn't need major repair. I will admit the stitching is coming apart and I do need to send them back, which I intend to do at the end of the season. The stitching did not separate rather it appears to have been ground away from the slide.

On a side note Vanson will make leathers to your design, nothing like having unique leathers. Their web site is easy to use and custom suits are easy to design. My custom suit cost $1,407 fits very well and has protected me in bad times.

There are lots of choices, good luck and heal fast.

twg

Jack Giesecke
06-21-2003, 12:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Erik Frank:

I've also had issues with Teknic gloves falling apart.</div></div>How old? Crash damage they came apart or just old age? Just wondering. I've never owned Teknic gloves. The AGVs serve well. Had a pair for two years before enough crashes got them to separating at the stitching. I tell ya, Kevlar is the greatest thing to come along in gloves that I can remember! I just started using a pair of Spidi Carbotech gloves I got from LP this winter. Hope they work out well. They were expensive as hell retail. THANK YOU LP FOR YOUR SUPPORT! I got a pair of Spidi boots with them, but I'm still using my year and a half old AGV pro race. Got such a good deal on the boots and gloves I just couldn't turn them down. I knew I'd need the stuff sooner or later.

Eric Kelcher
06-21-2003, 01:03 PM
well I have had good luck with my Z-Customs but I have not been down in them, price is better in the winter they offer discounts 10% (maybe it was flat $100?)

I had AGV that I had to replace without a crash on them as the perforations started playing connect the dots in the groin and did not want to "test" them after that. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

m novak
06-21-2003, 01:07 PM
I have a buddy with about 7 crashes in his dainese...not one hole, just scuffs.

I have three left cheek slides in an AGV rage suit, took the third to break the stitching holding the decorative piece of leather.

If I stay on mini's, I'll keep rashing cheap suits.

erikfrank
06-21-2003, 09:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jack Giesecke:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Erik Frank:

I've also had issues with Teknic gloves falling apart.</div></div>How old? Crash damage they came apart or just old age? Just wondering. I've never owned Teknic gloves. The AGVs serve well. Had a pair for two years before enough crashes got them to separating at the stitching. I tell ya, Kevlar is the greatest thing to come along in gloves that I can remember! I just started using a pair of Spidi Carbotech gloves I got from LP this winter. Hope they work out well. They were expensive as hell retail. THANK YOU LP FOR YOUR SUPPORT! I got a pair of Spidi boots with them, but I'm still using my year and a half old AGV pro race. Got such a good deal on the boots and gloves I just couldn't turn them down. I knew I'd need the stuff sooner or later.</div></div>Jack,

The "kangaroo hide" palms of the gloves wore through after a few months of use. Then the fingers wore though (same material). While the hide Teknic uses to make the palm seems very soft and supple, it isn't very durable!

-erik

Keith Hertell
06-21-2003, 09:31 PM
The Kangaroo palms a VERY durable but only for racing not daily wear.
That's why they only sell the kanga hide palms in the full race gloves now.
Keith

E. Templet
06-21-2003, 10:59 PM
I guess I'll chime in, in my subtle way. You will not see me in anything but Vanson leathers (I can't fit in anything "off the rack"). If I can't afford a set, I won't ride. My butt is worth a $googooplex. Yea Look that one up. It's in the dictionary. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I had a set of Spidi gloves ($130) that tore up after a minor lowside and I hurt my pinky. I bought the Kobes' ($140) because of the extra pinky protection. I love these gloves.

I ride with a Vanson 2 piece suit and am considering a one piece vented suit. I think the 2 piece is a bit more bulky than the one piece, which makes it harder to move around. I didn't buy my suit to road race, just for the street and a track day now and again.

My experiences only of course. No worries. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

darick
06-22-2003, 09:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Keith Hertell #11:
The Kangaroo palms a VERY durable but only for racing not daily wear.
That's why they only sell the kanga hide palms in the full race gloves now.
Keith</div></div>I found this to be true. I had purchase the Teknic Speedstar model gloves back in 2001 and wore them everyday back and forth to work (along with the occasional back road scratchin) and they seemed to start to come apart without ever crashing on them. Just before TWS, I purchased the new Speedstar glove and I have to say they are awesome. The glove is totally different and has a lot more protection for the pinky and the upper arm/wrist area. I would definetely recommend them. They are pricy at 169.95 tho but my hands are worth it.

Mathew Wise
06-22-2003, 11:22 AM
The Vansons I wore last year were subjected to many different kinds of crashes, including several long slides on pavement. I can attest that they hold up extremely well. I finally decided to retire them after a crash in t1 at TWS. After a very long slide, there were many small holes worn through into the armor, and the back was torn open.. not by the pavement, by the rigid footpeg on Fred's bike. No problem with any stitching, but the kevlar panel on the inside of one arm began to seperate from the leather. They have now had patches sewn over the holes and the entire back panel, and are being worn by one of our up and comming mini racers. These leathers were used when I got them, but had been in at least one crash already.

The point is, these suits seem to last a long time.

I have only crashed twice in my Tiche Tiechee Teichee (how do you spell that) so far, but both were pretty long slides on pavement, and they have held up well so far.

The best way to make gloves last is to not slide on your palms. Putting any weight on your palms while sliding will toast any kind of leather pretty quick. I try to tuck my arms to my chest with the glove armor out. Less chance of breaking things if you tumble. Also, if you leave the track sliding feet first, lift your feet a little before you hit the grass. Bootheels tend to dig in and send you on a nasty ride.

Gosh, I hope most of you guys never learn as much about crashing as I have! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Jack Giesecke
06-22-2003, 11:32 AM
Well, when you go down hard in a face plant, your first inclination is to put your arms/palms out to cushion your fall. That's why I like the Kevlar panels in the palms. Those old metal studded things could heat up from the friction and actually burn you. The Kevlar in those AGV gloves held up very well and only the stitching started to go after several crashes (only one of which involved the palms of my hands hitting first) and two years of wear. That's pretty good for a $70 set of gloves. I THINK I've upgraded with the Spidis considering their retail price, but now Gene has me wondering. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif They do have better armor on the back side of the hand, though and have the kevlar palms.

ysr612
06-22-2003, 03:31 PM
yes any gloves I use have to have major kevlar in the plams. I would like to get a pair of those kevlar gloves they use in the meat packing industry so you can't cut your self.

E. Templet
06-22-2003, 06:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jack Giesecke:
I THINK I've upgraded with the Spidis considering their retail price, but now Gene has me wondering. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif They do have better armor on the back side of the hand, though and have the kevlar palms.</div></div>Jack I absolutely loved those Spidi (Carbos, I think). So comfortable and all and seemed to offer great protection, especially on the back of the hand. Becuase the impact was so mild, I was concerned about my safety in a not so gentle get-off. I wouldn't worry about it though, it may just have been the way I landed or something. Don't go crash testing those things just to prove me wrong. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Travis Pierce
06-22-2003, 08:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Mark Novak:
[QB] I have three left cheek slides in an AGV rage suit, took the third to break the stitching holding the decorative piece of leather.
QB]</div></div>Hey Mark, those must be some pretty violent Couch crashes to leave rashes like that!! Maybe you should lay on the other side for a bit. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

m novak
06-22-2003, 09:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Travis Pierce:
Hey Mark, those must be some pretty violent Couch crashes to leave rashes like that!! Maybe you should lay on the other side for a bit. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>yeah, yeah, yeah :p I'd tell you to come say it to my face, but you don't seem to use your brakes in houston anymore, just zing on through. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Hope the family is doing great!!

Nathaniel Orona
06-23-2003, 08:10 AM
Sounds like everyone has some kind of complaint about every brand more or less. All I know is that I had to do repair work on my Teknics, along the zipper, before I ever went down in them. I send the Teknic suit into Teknic on Friday and they are suppose to get back to me. Granted it was a 100 pmh or so highside out of the chicane's onto the fornt straight but everypart that touched the grouns had a hole from the stitching coming apart. I had to make a list of places for Teknic to take notice of and there were 9 holes, at least 6 inches long, where the stitching came apart. I told Teknic that I am not sure I have the confidence to put another Teknic suit on again and that I think they make a poor quality suit. I told them that the leather held up great but what good is that if all the stitching come undone. It does ZERO good. My Teknic gloves did excellent. My teammate Joseph has wrecked 5 times in his Dainese suit and not one stitching has come apart. Guess there are many factors that contribute to the duarability of a suit in a crash, but I know that the suit should not have done what mine did.

ysr612
06-23-2003, 08:46 AM
Barnicle Bill says that stiching is one of the hardest place to get right most suits put to many stiches in the seam. Each time the needle goes in it makes a hole to many holes and you get a suit that says tear on dotted line. I was talking to some people that made mountain slings they said the thread was important there it needed to strech at the same speed as the webbing or you get a cheese cutter effect.

Jonny 748
06-23-2003, 12:13 PM
I've tested my Dainese suit 5 times now - from a slow lowside to a graceful highside with a couple of t-bones thrown in.
The suit held up well and is very repairable.
That's important - talk to the guys who fix 'em and they can tell you which suits stay togather and who doesn't. Some suits are not repairable, like the new Alpinestar and Dainese with the molded and fused plastic exterior protection.
Fit has a huge impact on tearing as it will rip easier if it's so big it twists on you. Same with gloves.
And keep them clean - the salts from sweat and other dirt really abuse leather - especially gloves. I rinse mine with cool water after every weekend and then treat them with Lexol.

My 2 Pesos

spearer
06-23-2003, 06:28 PM
Jack I kinda miss those studs they used to put in the gloves. I believe (knocking on wood) thats why my collar bones are still intact because when you instinctively put your hand down the studs don't grab.

Jack Giesecke
06-23-2003, 06:44 PM
Damn, I'm gettin' sore just reading this thread... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

bentracing
06-23-2003, 07:41 PM
We should name this thread "membership role call".

I have had many gloves due to the fact that I replace them every year. I believe a years worth of endurance puts enough sweat in them to break down the leather.

My favorite gloves to date are the Racer Supply model. They fit great, and look like they should crash well. I'll try to leave it up to someone else to find out.

my .02
ty

jonlampert
06-23-2003, 09:24 PM
I have the Kobe Carbonstars. They are the only leathers I have ever had but they seem to be holding up pretty well. I have been down on them 5 times (all on the right and the back) and they probably need some repair now. The stitching came apart in a few areas: mostly where cosmetic over layers of leather were, though. Some of damage was on the left knee where the leather is ripped up. Note that there are layers of leather underneath these areas so I don't consider them failures yet. The worst damage is on the left shoulder. It is only one layer and has worn through. The zippers for the vent on the rear are pretty much destroyed, too. I probably sould at least get the shoulder fixed. Pics of these crashed up leathers are at: http://home.attbi.com/~cmra317am/105_0510.jpg and http://home.attbi.com/~cmra317am/105_0512.jpg

As far as gloves go, I have the Kobes. My major complaint with them is that the wrist strap is on the bottom side of the wrist. When you go down you tend to put your hands out, palm first. That tears up the wrist strap. If the strap was on the top side of the wrist it would likely not get damaged as easy.

Does anyone have any experience with the Held gloves?

Repairs? A while back some there were some posts about places to get leathers repaired. A few places were:
1.) Amanda at Speed/Sport in Tulsa (speedsport@mindspring.com)
2.)The Leather Hospital in Dallas (Motoliberty sends their stuff here) 972-241-1014

Are there any other places?

Nathaniel Orona
06-24-2003, 07:56 AM
If your in Houston and need leathers repaired the best place is " Bellaire Shoe Repair." This old guy has been in business for 50 years and works with all types of leather goods. Also, he is very cheap. I had a friend repair his leathers, and they were horrible. This guy double stitched them where they needed, which was a lot of places, and it was like $13.

mcstealth
06-24-2003, 08:34 AM
Everybody post their favorite leathers repair places, someone that is message board savy please capture the posts, and place it somewhere on this board.

that would be good info to have.

David

RisingR
06-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Does the purchase price of the Vansons include the repair work or do you have to pay everytime they are sent in?

Brooks Gremmels
06-24-2003, 03:03 PM
I have always been a big fan of Held gloves and every test I've read confirms their merit. Until recently Held was distributed by Helimot (408.298.9608). When Held disclosed they were moving their manufacturing from Germany to an Asian country and changing their construction methods, Helimot severed their relationship. Helmut Kluckner (Helimot) then designed his own gloves which are being marketed under the Helimot name.
In my opinion, there are no better leathers than those made by Helimot. The set I have has been returned eight times for scuff repairing but I have never once had a single seam fail or a hole get worn through. Joe Prusiano, John Hayner, Heath Small and Michael Sanchez come to mind as Helimot customers.
I love my Vanson street leathers. Vanson makes quality leathers that no one can argue against.
Brooks

LWSB464
06-24-2003, 03:31 PM
I have crashed 5 times in my Dainese Safety Pro
leathers and have had Zero Problems with the
stitching or anything else. I would buy them again! Also, Helimot makes an awesome suit,
Vanson & Syed as well. Has anyone had any experience with Kobe? They pay big contingency
$$$$$.

LWSB464
06-24-2003, 03:37 PM
I also highly reccomend Amanda @ Speedsport
in Tulsa For Leather repair/cleaning/sponsor patch
They do a great job at a more than fair price.
Also, Ed Robinson & Rusty Allen are Helimot customers-Brooks!

m novak
06-24-2003, 03:42 PM
Held gloves all the way. When I worked for Rusty he told me of his turn one crash that broke his neck, gave him a concussion, ate through his leathers....but his helds were fine. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

That is all I needed to believe, and I love mine.

Travis Pierce
06-24-2003, 08:15 PM
I got 2 good crashes in an AGV Laser suit and the 2nd one at TWS finally wore a little hole through the shoulder. Other than that, It held up great. I slid quite a ways in both crashes and actually tumbled about ???? times in the TWS crash.

Crashing sucks, but how else are you supposed to test leathers for fine folks and let them know how they held up. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Nathaniel Orona
06-25-2003, 01:27 PM
That's all I got to say about that!

cwjones
06-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Alpinestars are what i go for. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Nathaniel Orona
07-08-2003, 11:13 AM
see thread " Teknic's handling of..."