PDA

View Full Version : Cheaters (Not the TV show, but close enough)

Chris Randle
09-21-2007, 09:44 AM
I do understand how winning is important and that racers are always looking for that one extra thing that can give them an edge over others. What happened to sticking to the rules and beating people with your ability, hard work and preserverance. Now more often in the media, we see incidence of people trying to get an unfair advantage over another. I am not sure if there is more cheating now or that there are better processes in place to catch it. You have MLB debacle with Sosa, Big Mac... The Tour De France with Landis, Rasmussen, Vinokurov...
At Laguna, they found a guy with GSXR750 engine in his GSXR600 attempting to compete in the Supersport race. (http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=30309)
WTF???
Is this trend not disturbing to anyone else?

Chris Randle
09-21-2007, 09:44 AM
I do understand how winning is important and that racers are always looking for that one extra thing that can give them an edge over others. What happened to sticking to the rules and beating people with your ability, hard work and preserverance. Now more often in the media, we see incidence of people trying to get an unfair advantage over another. I am not sure if there is more cheating now or that there are better processes in place to catch it. You have MLB debacle with Sosa, Big Mac... The Tour De France with Landis, Rasmussen, Vinokurov...
At Laguna, they found a guy with GSXR750 engine in his GSXR600 attempting to compete in the Supersport race. (http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=30309)
WTF???
Is this trend not disturbing to anyone else?

Sonny
09-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Naahh, Chris. You're the only one distrubed by this. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gee, I need to check Mr. Newman's engine one of these days. He's been running improved lap times these days and he's on a gixxer 600.

Sonny
09-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Naahh, Chris. You're the only one distrubed by this. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gee, I need to check Mr. Newman's engine one of these days. He's been running improved lap times these days and he's on a gixxer 600.

Linz Leard
09-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Maybe he has a really good excuse, but on the surface it seems that this guy was foolish. He was might have been playing the "I'm not going to finish high enough up in the order for the AMA to care" game. If so, that didn't pay off, as we know.

Any sanctioning body can request an inspection, visual or invasive mechanical, per whatever rules they have in place (e.g. protest, mandated by finish order, random, etc.)

Back to your point about this being a trend, well, I'd not go so far as to call it a trend since I don't know the relative season to season numbers. I can tell you that cheating has historically been around since the first day of any competitive event, including motorcycle racing.

If I put on my rose colored glasses I can tell you that no one in the CMRA has ever cheated in the 20 years I've been racing with the club. Unfortunately, I've seen people get busted for cheating on several occasions.

Linz Leard
09-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Maybe he has a really good excuse, but on the surface it seems that this guy was foolish. He was might have been playing the "I'm not going to finish high enough up in the order for the AMA to care" game. If so, that didn't pay off, as we know.

Any sanctioning body can request an inspection, visual or invasive mechanical, per whatever rules they have in place (e.g. protest, mandated by finish order, random, etc.)

Back to your point about this being a trend, well, I'd not go so far as to call it a trend since I don't know the relative season to season numbers. I can tell you that cheating has historically been around since the first day of any competitive event, including motorcycle racing.

If I put on my rose colored glasses I can tell you that no one in the CMRA has ever cheated in the 20 years I've been racing with the club. Unfortunately, I've seen people get busted for cheating on several occasions.

TX_03_RC51
09-21-2007, 01:16 PM
It's only cheating if you get caught /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

TX_03_RC51
09-21-2007, 01:16 PM
It's only cheating if you get caught /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Frank Newman
09-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks a bunch Chris! Sonny's on to me now!

Frank Newman
09-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks a bunch Chris! Sonny's on to me now!

Linz Leard
09-21-2007, 07:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robert White</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's only cheating if you get caught /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>Robert White is on the top of the protest list now. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Linz Leard
09-21-2007, 07:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robert White</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's only cheating if you get caught /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>Robert White is on the top of the protest list now. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Chris Kotowski
09-21-2007, 07:59 PM
as for newman getting faster. I don't think you need to check the bike. You need to check if its Frank on it. :-)

Chris Kotowski
09-21-2007, 07:59 PM
as for newman getting faster. I don't think you need to check the bike. You need to check if its Frank on it. :-)

Chris Randle
09-21-2007, 08:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Newman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks a bunch Chris! Sonny's on to me now! </div></div>
My bad Frank. I just always find cheating an interesting topic.

Chris Randle
09-21-2007, 08:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Newman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks a bunch Chris! Sonny's on to me now! </div></div>
My bad Frank. I just always find cheating an interesting topic.

Yuliya Marcer
09-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Don't forget the recent Springer show in Formula 1 world:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,,2170261,00.html

Yuliya Marcer
09-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Don't forget the recent Springer show in Formula 1 world:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,,2170261,00.html

ChemiKaze
09-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Toyota cheated in WRC too.. and look what happened to their Celica line... gone!

ChemiKaze
09-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Toyota cheated in WRC too.. and look what happened to their Celica line... gone!

Chris Randle
09-24-2007, 10:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yuliya Marcer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget the recent Springer show in Formula 1 world:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,,2170261,00.html </div></div>

Wow! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Chris Randle
09-24-2007, 10:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yuliya Marcer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget the recent Springer show in Formula 1 world:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,,2170261,00.html </div></div>

Wow! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif