PDA

View Full Version : Looks to be a change at Speedchannel !

06-24-2003, 10:28 AM
sounds to me like the motorcycle programing is gonna change big time ! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif AMA Soup News (http://www.amasuperbike.com/2003-Jun/030624a.htm)

marcus mcbain
06-24-2003, 11:01 AM
From my understanding, the ratings are so dismal that Speed is actually being generous to even keep motorcycle racing on the channel at all.

Marcus

06-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Go figure! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

waytooslow
06-24-2003, 12:39 PM
no loss, I am sure that races coverage will continue, somewhere.... if not speedtv, 2 Wheel Tuesday is a joke. for instance, Formula Extreme race almost a month old playing today, well maybe not a month , but might as well be.

Speeds constant crying that motorcycles is too small of a market share bores me, too many commercials, boring content (panel discussions on going in circles??- gezzz)... they will and should be NASCAR TV, and let some other company pick up bikes.

Scott

SMILEYMAN
06-24-2003, 03:19 PM
OK, OK. I don't care if they cancel 2 wheeled tuesdays. Even if it is the only night I watch TV. As long as they continue to show the races! I will tape them and watch them on tuesday and do my own commentary ala Brian Drebber, have my own umbrella girl (or at least dress up the cocker spaniel!), and watch from my own humid stinky garage! Take that Greg White!
But Please, Please, show the races as they happen, or at least same day tape! PLEASE!
Smileyman

darick
06-24-2003, 07:34 PM
I say we petition another channel to pick up the coverage.....maybe that new channel "spike"???

When Speedvision was taken over back some time ago there were rumors that it would phase out all motorcycle coverage in favor of the Napcar variety. Looks like its happening to me.

Has anyone actually timed a whole race live? My wife gets totally aggravated with SpeedTV coverage. You get maybe 15 min of a 40 min race.

When I was over in the UK at my wifes flat last year, we were able to drive home in between race 1 and 2 at Silverstone. Only to watch the COMPLETE race 2 in the dry comfort of the flat with no damn commercials. I was in heaven! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
Now, to get that kind of coverage over here? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Darick

Jiveturky
06-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Well I don't know about you guys but I pay extra to get the speed channel. If there is no more bike races then there will be no more speed channel for me. I know they could care less about my gripe, but hey it is the point of the matter.

Later, Eric

Derek Delpero
06-24-2003, 08:58 PM
Well ... if you guys were watching Two Wheel Tuesday today /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ... Greg White said that there will be changes but not to believe what you are currently reading on the internet /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Andy Galindo
06-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Well they need some changes. This 2 wheel tuesday thing should be renamed 2 many commercials tuesday. They can take their speed channel and shove it, because sitting there for a whole hour to watch 15 minutes of racing is a waste of time. Granted I love to watch racing, but that's a bit much. Any other time I tune to SpeedTV beside Tues or maybe Sun. it's just Nascar. A few years ago, Speedvision was mostly coverage of Formula 1, rally racing, boat racing, and of course motorcycle racing. It was cool. And you'd have surprise and variety all the time. Heck I even watched a couple of lawn mower races. But now that channel sucks pretty bad. I don't care anymore. I just flip to some other commercial-filled channel, complain a little more, and then turn the TV off and come here to see what's new. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

SMILEYMAN
06-25-2003, 08:51 AM
And what is with this Winston Cup Wensday CRAP! I enjoy stock car racing ('specially the road courses...like watching body builders do gymnastics!, LOL)But why have it's own day when that is all they show all week long!

BTW, I think why we get abbreviated coverage of bike races is that they edit it for length to put in more commercials. The live feed and same day tape of the european stuff has alot less editing than the US stuff or the replays of any of it on Tuesday. So they are cutting it either for more Greg White or more commercials.
Smiley

David Branyon
06-26-2003, 01:12 PM
Don't know if y'all read it, but you might go check the interview with the Big Cheese at Speed on http://www.amasuperbike.com/2003-Jun/030626a.htm (http://www.amasuperbike.com/2003-Jun/030626a.htm.) . [I can't get link to work; you have to erase the period at the end.] Says that the live motorcycle racing on Sundays does okay, but the replays on Tuesday have the worst ratings of anything on the network. Hmmm...

The last BUNCH of Tuesdays, they have had some semi-decent race replays in the 1-3 p.m. time slot. I guess they figure folks who are interested in motorcycle racing don't have day jobs. Then, in the prime time slot, they have some rather less-interesting races: MotoGP125, and other stuff. Not that those aren't interesting, but I missed the last MotoGP (the big one) being out at TWS and heard a report that it was a great race. Rossi ran off and then came charging back through the field to place second. I thought I'd just catch it on two-wheeled Tuesday since I forgot to set the VCR. Guess what? Never was replayed.

It's not sounding real good. Two-wheeled Tuesday is basically gone from the sound of it. Will still have the infomercial Corbin's Ride-On and American Cleavage...er I mean Thunder, but that's about it. Go figure. He said those two shows have significantly better ratings than the race replays. What?!

troysturtz
06-26-2003, 01:53 PM
Sounds like they need some near nude umbrella girl competitions to get the ratings up a bit.
Hot chicks never hurt any program ratings.

SMILEYMAN
06-26-2003, 02:37 PM
I like Greg White OK, but he has got to be feeding us a line of it when he says they don't wish to replay old races. I watched the entire NASCAR race from Sears Point last night on Winston Cup Wensday! Ok so I slept thru most of it, but it was on! My point is are the ratings for the Nascar rplay, Nascar Garage, Busch series show and the other 20 shows dedicated to talking about (not showing the race)the Winston cup race from Sunday prior, really so hot that they must move our Tuesdays?

Good news is they will continue to show the Moto races as they happen and give us fresh races on Tuesday (WSS and such). As for me and my programmable VCR thats cool! And I will even watch those Harley shows if they take Troys' advice and show some chicks along with those slow heavy bikes!

Jack Giesecke
06-27-2003, 06:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by David Branyon #87:
Don't know if y'all read it, but you might go check the interview with the Big Cheese at Speed on http://www.amasuperbike.com/2003-Jun/030626a.htm (http://www.amasuperbike.com/2003-Jun/030626a.htm.) . [I can't get link to work; you have to erase the period at the end.] Says that the live motorcycle racing on Sundays does okay, but the replays on Tuesday have the worst ratings of anything on the network. Hmmm...

The last BUNCH of Tuesdays, they have had some semi-decent race replays in the 1-3 p.m. time slot. I guess they figure folks who are interested in motorcycle racing don't have day jobs. Then, in the prime time slot, they have some rather less-interesting races: MotoGP125, and other stuff. Not that those aren't interesting, but I missed the last MotoGP (the big one) being out at TWS and heard a report that it was a great race. Rossi ran off and then came charging back through the field to place second. I thought I'd just catch it on two-wheeled Tuesday since I forgot to set the VCR. Guess what? Never was replayed.

It's not sounding real good. Two-wheeled Tuesday is basically gone from the sound of it. Will still have the infomercial Corbin's Ride-On and American Cleavage...er I mean Thunder, but that's about it. Go figure. He said those two shows have significantly better ratings than the race replays. What?!</div></div>HEY, I LIVE for 125GP! Closest racing in the world and they FLY on those things! World super sport ain't bad, either. Rather see that than any AMA stuff except that I wanna watch Ben, Ty, Heath, et al.

Yeah, if they dump MC racing all together, I may dump speed. But, speed comes with a package from my cable company that has Science and History international which I watch a lot. NASCRAP? They can keep that! I'd rather watch a friggin' golf tourney or baseball game or some other boring stick and ball game.

It would figure than now that we finally have speed on the cable down here, they'd drop racing and OLN, a channel we DON'T have would pick it up! ARG!

David Branyon
06-27-2003, 10:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jack Giesecke:
HEY, I LIVE for 125GP! Closest racing in the world and they FLY on those things! World super sport ain't bad, either. Rather see that than any AMA stuff except that I wanna watch Ben, Ty, Heath, et al.
<snip>
</div></div>Yeah Jack, that's what I meant by the "not that those aren't great races" part. I was not so much referring to whether they were good races, but rather to their general attractiveness as ratings generators. Even though you (& I) love World 125GP, the premier class is MotoGP and you'd think you'd show that on Tuesday night prime-time if you were trying to generate ratings.

Similar to how CMRA has purses for the popular classes like UGP but doesn't promote the "best" classes like LWSn. Know what I mean? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif