PDA

View Full Version : Welding / fuel tanks

Bob Cronin
06-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Does anyone know of where I can take the fuel tank to get it patched?
Here's the problem:

On the back of the late model GSXR's you will find a bracket for the hinge, 2 nipples for overflow/vent, and this piece of metal bent at a 45degree angle that is welded on as well. It is this piece that is leaking fuel from behind it for some reason. Now it isn't leaking like a run or a drip but if you watch it long enough you can see it bleed out and the surrounding areas start to get damp.
This tab, for lack of a better description, serves now purpose on the bike at all and can be removed. This tank has never been damaged while it has been on this bike nor has this area of the bike been messed up to cause this leak.
We have a spare tank that is, um, slightly used from last year but it doesn't match our pretty paint job so we need to get it fixed before Hallett.
Where do I take a tank to be fixed?
Thanks.

Tony Moore
06-24-2003, 06:26 PM
Call Gibsons welding at 281-820-9803. They are off of I45N near Northwest Honda and they have fixed several for us recently.

Good Luck
Tony Moore

G-Man
06-24-2003, 10:48 PM
Give Randy Porter at Lone Star Metal Werx a call.

Lone Star Metalwerx
1730 Elmview B-6
Houston, Tx 77080
713-465-6552

Todd Gyure
06-25-2003, 01:08 AM
I had a gas "fumes" seep leak like that on a bike tank and fixed it with this product called JB weld so then the paint was not damaged by welding it. Never had a prob. I drained the gas from the tank then set it in the sun to dry out then JB welded it.

Bob Cronin
06-25-2003, 10:31 AM
I have some JBWeld but will not do anything until I contact those people that have been sent to me since I have asked the question.

E. Templet
06-25-2003, 11:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Todd E. Gyure:
I had a gas "fumes" seep leak like that on a bike tank and fixed it with this product called JB weld so then the paint was not damaged by welding it. Never had a prob. I drained the gas from the tank then set it in the sun to dry out then JB welded it.</div></div>JB Weld is a good choice for this repair (there are other products as well) because it doesn't alter the metal during the repair. Welding can distort, embrittle, and weaken surrounding surfaces. Not that either way won't work, it's just that the JB, is far easier and requires less equipment and expense. If the area will see any stress (bending or twisting loads), arc welding would be a better choice.

I patched a fuel tank on my 1974 Kawasaki 500H1 way back when (1977). The tank was rusting through in many locations. I used a Product called "Red Hand". I coated the the outside bottom of the tank on both sides and never had a leak. Every now and again (6 months)I'd remove the petcock and clean out the rust. Yep, them were the days. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Now people worry about a couple of specs of rust. I guess when you have money, you have a choice.