PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Haze in Houston = New Race Track

Bryan Norton
06-26-2003, 08:34 AM
<UPDATE> while the TV news reported specifically this was for the new racetrack down there, the newspaper is saying this was for a wildlife refuge.
Now why a wildlife refuge would burn off the trees I don't know, but it isn't the first time the news sources have conflicted

Caught this on the news last night.
For those of us in Houston, there was a smelly, smoky haze throughout the zity. I live in Tomball, ont he far northwest side of the city and you could see and smell it.

The fire was down by Alvin, about 40 or more miles from where I was. One of the newscasts said it was clearing land for the new Nascar track down there.
Guys those guys are serious. Hopefully there will be a roadrace configuration. Not that it would be a club venue, but maybe for a national event.

m novak
06-26-2003, 08:50 AM
I was wondering what that was coming from. Smelled like wood burning.

marcus mcbain
06-26-2003, 09:13 AM
I kinda hope the track flops. I do not know of many "Nascar" tracks that have ever done anything for motorcyclists. That is not to say that the track management or track is not necessarily credible (safe/usable), but rather the combo NEVER has worked for Road Racers. The only "oval" track that I have seen server the M/C RR community is possibly TWS and/or Loudon. Loudon is consistently noted for the danger to the riders, but they could be construed as arbitrary. TWS is a failure from the perspective of its original business focus, but all the better for us...

As a businessman, I would not in a million years waste my time renting a track to motorcycle racing for 10($K) to 15($K) per day (with little or no gate) when I can generate hundreds of thousands of $$$ (if indeed I do have a Nascar presence) to various car events.

This is not a sour note about motorcycle racing, but rather an observation of reality. To get tourqued up about this track is a waste of time unless they begin to fail. Only then may they want to talk to us. On the other hand, the note about "Nascar" and "Oval" is highly blown out of proportion from what I have seen on the news and there is supposed to be a road course (first) from my understanding. If that is the case, that is probably the only way we would ever be able to use it as a legitimate venue.

Marcus

Scotty
06-26-2003, 09:20 AM
Can you say SUPERMOTO.You can race them anywhere. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Nathaniel Orona
06-26-2003, 10:48 AM
Daytona seems to be a good track that accomodates NASCAR and motorcyles. Hopefully, we could be so lucky to have a track like that. Now that would be sweet!

Bryan Norton
06-26-2003, 11:28 AM
First from a design point, I absolutely agree. A good Nascar track makes a terrible roadrace track, and vice versa. but with enough land, a small 2 mile course could be put in the dirt outside the oval. TMS is an example, there is enough room outside the track to drop the entire Oak Hill facility. This would also eliminate the high costs of renting the track because the infrastructure could be left intact at the Nascar oval.
The pavement from the roadrace track (especially the pits) could be used as parking during a normal Nascar event.

not that this will ever happen, because I agree with your other comment.
TMS' rental of well over $20,000 per weekend is a pittance compared to a big Nascar weekend. And more importantly, one team or small car club renting the track for a weekend is TONS less hassle than a CMRA or WERA event with hundreds of guys riding around on their pit bikes etc.
Compare this to the millions they make in a single weekend of Nascar and it's a no brainer.

However, I still think it a viable option for a big facility to rent out on the non-race weekends. Look at TWS. Every single weekend produces revenue for them. and of course, that is the ONLY way that facility generates revenue. They tried that Ferrari event a few years ago, but the track will never be able to host a significant event.

So it is easy for a facility to build in a small roadcourse, which could be used by karters, car clubs, SCCA, track day, and motorcycle events.
Would they do it?
Could we afford it?
Would we even want to go there?

Who knows.
When we have tracks like Barber within striking distance, and Oakhill, TWS, Cresson x 2 directions, and Hallet x 2 directions why worry about trying to fit into a Nascar designed oval?

Jack Giesecke
06-27-2003, 06:34 AM
They did announce a road course on their web site. Not sure the lay out, if it incorporates the bowl or what. $20K (per day?) rent is ridiculous for CMRA, wouldn't even talk to them, myself. TWS's rent is bad enough, and especially so considering the facilities, but at least it's affordable and can be justified and the track is fun to ride, always has been.

If I wanna different track, I can always drive to NPR, but hey, wouldn't it be nice to have something so close to home? I'm perfectly happy with Katy, though, myself. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Now, if they'd build a road course in Corpus...., but then I'd probably be the only one in CMRA close to it. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Linz Leard
06-27-2003, 06:57 AM
I agree with Marcus on this topic for the most part. I see this track as a bad business decision. I could be wrong, but all indicators point to a NASCAR type track (with most other forms of motor racing pretty much an afterthought even beforehand) that probably won't attract NASCAR because of its extreme southern location. I don't expect this track to be financially viable before or after construction - should construction happen at all. As I said, I would love to be wrong on this and have a safe accommodating road course that is affordable come from this effort, but I'm probably pissing in the racing wind.

d_alexand
06-27-2003, 07:52 AM
Are they still planning to build the new track near Dallas(Waxahachie ??)? I haven't heard anything about it lately, but that sounds like it's gonna be the best RR track in the US.

Jack Giesecke
06-27-2003, 07:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Duane Alexander:
Are they still planning to build the new track near Dallas(Waxahachie ??)? I haven't heard anything about it lately, but that sounds like it's gonna be the best RR track in the US.</div></div>THAT one is a definite "believe it when I see it" deal. I heard something about "looking for financial backing". Mmmm, that is never a good sign.

bdmpastx
06-27-2003, 08:16 AM
Here are some pictures from the loaction...sorry for the size...I stole them from their host...
http://photos.groups.aol.com/_img/racingin2005/K6cGSc/hpim04331.jpg
http://photos.groups.aol.com/_img/racingin2005/K6cGSc/mpimo4311.jpg
http://photos.groups.aol.com/_img/racingin2005/OUc4Sc/view48x11.jpg
http://photos.groups.aol.com/_img/racingin2005/Itd4Ve/hpim03642.jpg

Jack Giesecke
06-27-2003, 08:34 AM
THAT'S the road course? :rolleyes: Looks a little like TMS. Cut the bowl, and it might be good for minis, but I don't think TMGP could afford the rent. :rolleyes: Just by the diagram, I can't tell for sure where "road course" entry and exit are, but it looks suspiciously like the TMS thing where if you miss the entry, you T bone the guys coming onto the bowl. Stupid. Did they hire the same idiot designer? Guy must've gotten his civil engineering degree from an internet correspondence course. He obviously knows little about racing in any event.

Bryan Norton
06-27-2003, 08:59 AM
Looks like they were smoking crack when they came up with the 'road course'

75% Nascar bowl, 25% infield does not equal a road course.

Track looks kinda small they way I see it...maybe they are just gunning for Busch series?

The big limiting factor with Nascar is not how nice the track is, or even how many fans it can pull in, it's the fact that the series is full of existing tracks, many of which probably have contracts set for awhile. To be able to squeeze into the schedule probably won't be easy.