PDA

View Full Version : Trailer advice needed

nicktulloh
07-10-2003, 08:57 PM
All,

Just on the offchance that work slows up and I ever get to the track again, I'm in the market for a trailer. I've looked at the ones at Home Depot (Pace) and, no offense to anyone that has one, but they seem a little cheap. Is Haulmark any better or does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm thinking 6x10.

Thanks.

Nick

marcus mcbain
07-10-2003, 09:39 PM
It is all relative. I have owned several trailers and here are the main things I have seen.

1) Floor - Haulmark/Pace and others use 3/4" painted/treated plywood on the floors. The ones I have owned have had plywood (with no finish), linoleum, and even ATP (in my current trailer). My toolbox weighs about 400lbs load up, so I need it (the floor) to be strong. Then again, that is the difference between a quality trailer and Home Depot…You can haul what you want whenever the situation arises.
2) Suspension – The Haulmark and equivelant come with 3800lbs and 5200lbs torsion (rubber mounted) axles. This provides a MUCH superior ride and negates the chances of wasting your axle from overloading.
3) Wheels/Brakes/Weight – These trailers (Haulmark, etc.) ride so well because most of their base models are dual axle with 14” inch wheels, easy to access/durable bearings, and electric (independent – 4) brakes.
4) Frame – Most of your quality trailers have 16” centers. This will make a huge difference in the life of your trailer.
5) Made for more – Pace/Haulmark/Etc over “bolt in” packages (Shelves/Accessories/etc.) that can be added at purchase or later down the road. Although many of these items will physically mount up in a Home Depot trailer, I can’t see putting 8ft worth of cabinets on one side of those.

Good Luck,
Marcus

Also, call Dave at Country Side Trailer 281 353 7858. He is a Pace/Haulmark/Campmaster dealer and deals with a lot of racers including myself and Heath Small/HAS racing. He is a great guy to deal with.

David Hirsch
07-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Remember, you can buy a low end trailer or you can buy high end one. I have a Pace and it is better than the Wells Cargo or Haulmark that I had. The Pace I have is a higher end trailer. Go to Trailers for less (http://www.trailersforless.com) and look at the Pace and Haulmarks and compaire the modles and styles. I bought mine from Tom at Trailers For Less. I picked it up in Waco.

E. Templet
07-10-2003, 10:01 PM
There are a few different ways to look at a trailer purchase. I only bought a trailer to keep my stuff reasonabley dry. It is a utility item, that's all. I knew all I'd carry was a few bikes and accessories so weight hauling was not a major factor. I wanted a rear ramp and side door for easy access and loading so I got that.

I found everything I needed in a Haulmark Transport. I did modify the roof for a A/C unit and really don't trust the roof for handling all the weight even though I can hang on it with the A/C installed. I use a removeable 2X4 brace in the center of the trailer for traveling.

I don't pull mine around all that much but a V-nose may be worth considering as far as handling is concerned. I get 10mpg in my F-150 pulling that thing. 7 X 16 is a bit much and I have too much room but...I can upgrade the floor plan as I choose.

I have a 5'X 8' open trailer and don't have any room on either side when I load 2 bikes. That's why I went for the 7' wide model. I can easily walk between the bikes. I think 6' would work also.

Shop around. I paid $3575 for mine, brand new.

nicktulloh
07-10-2003, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the input.

Gene - what motor in the F150?

Nancy Selleck
07-11-2003, 07:14 AM
Keep in mind that Pace American is the sponsor of our GT Series and has made it possible for us to have a new trailer every couple of years.

If at all possible, it's a good idea to support our sponsors and it's possible that there might be some sort of discount for CMRA members.

Tom Thompson
07-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Just a thought. Pace is a very good trailer. Regardless, you can have one built to your specs. I had mine built with everything I wanted, it took 1 month to get it in. Get the heavy axles not that much more $$, but you get what you pay for. Use a dealer you can trust and ask him about trailers that are designed for racing. You can beef up the floor with diamond plate...makes install of chocks more secure.

If I had known Pace was going to be one of our sponsors 3 years ago, I would be pulling a Pace today.

marcus mcbain
07-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Actually, the hauler is a good point. I have owned two F150's and now haul with a F250.

Gene, makes a good point about the V-Nose. The standard F150 V-8(About 240p with 200lbs tourque) will fall on its face hauling anything but a V-Nose or Low-Hauler (Haulmark). I think Gene's gas mileage is extrodinary (I usually got 7mpg or 8mpg with the F150 5.4 liter V-8 hauling a low hauler hauling @ 70mph-80mph).

The full size trailers do "push a lot of air" and your mileage/performance will reflect.

Marcus