PDA

View Full Version : Live on Speed (sort of)

mcstealth
07-12-2003, 04:46 PM
AARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!

How maddening, frustrating, incredibly unsatisfying the live coverage was today of the AMA race from Laguna. Three laps, commercials. Three more laps, more commercials. At 1.27.50 seconds a lap, barely five minutes of racing was aired before the commercial coverage took over. The dominant force of the day was clearly the paid advertisers, not the podium finishers.

David

Travis Pierce
07-12-2003, 04:50 PM
All I can say is Speed Sucks. Yes Mark, I said it, It sucks....sucks....sucks....sucks... Now Bash me for whining /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Other than that Greg White and Dave D. is cool.
oh and you too Drebb

twg
07-12-2003, 06:41 PM
During the month of July one should stay tuned to the OLN. Coverage of the Tour de France is exceptional, even having 30 minute commercial free coverage. Thanks to OLN and Power Bar for letting us enjoy pure racing. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

BTW Sunday evening OLN will cover stage 8 with the final climb being L'Alp d'Huez.

twg

m novak
07-13-2003, 12:05 AM
For Travis...

Boo Hoo!!! Speed is the only people that show racing and they don't show enough, they go to commercial so they can afford to show us what little they can while it sucks zeros off the profits...Boo Hoo. I can't believe they took time away from the money makers to show me something I'm interested in...boo hoooooooo hooooooooo!!!

Everyone pull to the right...here comes the waaaahhhhhhhhhhhmbulance. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Now that I've chastised you...when are you swinging through Houston?

For the rest of you....I got frustrated when they were showing the tops of the trees at Laguna, you could HEAR the bikes...but Drebber was telling us what was on tomorrow. Like smelling the buffet but waiting on your table. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

mcstealth
07-15-2003, 05:12 PM
How many uninterrupted minutes of green flag racing do we see of a NASCAR race(on network tv)? Compared to what we get of an AMA race on Speed? What about the length of the commercials for each?? I would like to know these comparisons.

David

darick
07-15-2003, 07:51 PM
After watching this weekends WSB races at Laguna,
my wife (a UK native) would have to say that its almost worthless watching them. (Let me mention I thought I had died and gone to heaven while in the UK, being able to watch the whole frickin race live AND uninterrupted) They cut to commercials at such frequency that its more of a highlight race coverage show. Then, after you've come back to live action, they don't even show you what you missed. This would be more understandable during a "live" situation but even race #2 that was on at 9pm was the same. I think I'm gonna tape em (& check RRW for results)from now on so I don't have to sit thru commercial after commercial. It might relieve some of the maddening frustration from my life. Boycott Speed...I say!!!!!! Let our voices be heard!!!

panthercity
07-16-2003, 10:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by darick pash:
Boycott Speed...I say!!!!!! Let our voices be heard!!!</div></div>Hey! Now there's an idea!

Let's let `em know that a sport that they doesn't generate enough advertising revenue to be profitable for them to carry is watched by even fewer people.

Yeah, that's the ticket...

darick
07-16-2003, 12:43 PM
Well, I don't share your pessimism Bob. If people were to complain in droves we might have them sell coverage to someone else (since they seem to be telling us they aint making no money on it)....hmmmmm....like maybe sky sports (owned by Fox) who knows....it might be the ticket we need.
If they are losing $$ on motorcycles why not just let the accountants handle the bottom line and axe the darn thing......oh yea!!! I see the future at hand.

m novak
07-16-2003, 01:27 PM
Folks have been racing a loooooooooooooong time. People have been watching racing a loooooooooooong time.

Let us look at the average American and figure out what gets them passionate

Chevy V8 putting out 700hp or Honda twin putting out 190.

American made or Foreign made

American guy, just a regular Joe or Mee-gell Do-ham-uhl

Muscle cars or Itallian exotics?

Why does Nascar make money and MotoGP not in the states?? Because people can IDENTIFY with Nascar...not some 120lb Itallian kid on a Honda.

But boycott if you wish...I'll keep mine going as the black sheep of the moto-world. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

SMILEYMAN
07-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Oh Yeah. we have beat this one to death...But we are not alone. Just check out the back lash on the Roadracing World website. No one remotely associated with motorcycle racing would agree that SPEED channel or any other network has ever properly produced or covered any motorcycle event adequately, ever.

But for speed channel to switch up programming claiming they don't get veiwers on replays is crazy/hipocritical! The NASCAR cup race replays every week, both Busch and Truck races get recapped/reviewed rebroadcast, and we see replays of the 1993 formula one GP of whereever!

And the motorcycle coverage they do feel inclined to show is haphazard, time delayed, poorly produced (I.E. no pre race set up or after race interveiws like the Euro broadcast races)with tons of those commercials they aren't makin money on! Come on! NASCAR gets coverage of qualifying, pre race from "Trackside" and SPEED isn't even liscensed to broadcast the actual race!

OK that's enough from me. I am going to look for my Paxil now, maybe wash it down with a nice Cabernet...

Travis Pierce
07-16-2003, 05:33 PM
Again, Speed channel Sucks............

and that's all I got to say about that. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

David Branyon
07-16-2003, 06:09 PM
While we're beating the horse...

Again this Tuesday, they re-play MotoGP at 2 in the afternoon and European MX in prime time. Not that it's not good racing, but as far as drawing a crowd to watch...