PDA

View Full Version : Mini-FUN!!!

Jiveturky
07-13-2003, 04:26 PM
Troy, my son, and I hooked up with Alf Gebhardt this weekend and he invited us out to his go-kart track. The track is located between Tulsa and Sand Springs. The facilities are awsome!!! It has a full pit lane with 23 pits available with covered garage areas. There is a second story the full length of the pit garages that is also covered, and would be a great place to view the race. The track is a banked oval with two infield sections. It was an absolute blast. I have seen some traffic on the board about the track and some of you seemed concerned about the tires. We were riding Motard XR 50's and the track was plenty safe at those speeds. Anything bigger than a YSR would probably not be much fun. However, the fiddies were great. I am not even going to tell you what he charged us, because it was insignificant. You will spend more on a 12 pack. The owner is very interested in starting a league for XR 50's on Saturday nights. He said we could have our own Saturday night or go 15 on and 15 off with the carts. If you live anywhere close or would be interested in making the trek for some cheap track time please let me know. ericbyost@yahoo.com

Later, Eric

troysturtz
07-13-2003, 06:51 PM
We plan on trying to get a saturday night series for bikes going. Our thoughts so far include pocket bikes, xr-50's and maybe YSR's. The owner of this sweet little track wants us to get something regular going. Seems it would be a really cheap way to have a great time. Also a great way to get youngsters into road racing as the speeds on an a stock XR-50 are slower than a YSR. Post a reply and let us know if anyone is interested.

Troy

07-13-2003, 10:30 PM
here is a link for a quick vid of the track
http://members.cox.net/kmgata/jrp.wmv

i have a pw50 that i would be interested in showing up with if something gets figured out.

anthony c smith
07-13-2003, 10:49 PM
That place looks pretty cool. It seems to be about the same size as the TMGP Katy track. It looks as though you guys may want to talk to the owner about adjusting the tires in some of the run off areas though. Otherwise it has lots of potential. Be sure and post when you guys run there. Thanks, Anthony.
http://www.teamozracing.com

Keith Hertell
07-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Looks to me like the tires would have to go for YSR's.
IMHO

Jiveturky
07-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Kieth,

I think you are probably right as it relates to YSR's. If you had a track full of them, then I would think some of the tires should go. I don't necessarily think the owner would have a problem with us relocating some of the tires back a few feet and possibly take some out for a run through area. However, I am not worried about them because the YSR's aren't the bikes that I am hoping will show up. The 10 inch wheel pit bikes are what I would like to see come. At those speeds the tires really did not pose much hazard. The new infield section is the one with the tires very close to the track. Believe me the speeds are so slow through there it wouldn't matter.

P.S.- I am contacting the owner to set a date for a practice day. This will allow us to get an idea of how many will be interested in a race event. There are already several guys that are racing xr-50's in MOTO-X that are buying street tires to come and give us HELL....

Later, Eric

anthony c smith
07-14-2003, 07:53 PM
Oh, I see Eric!!!! You wave the candy in front of our face and then say that you hope we wont show up! Yea right, Im bringin my ysr and my rs60 and my rs80 then after the tires scare the crap out of me I will bust out with the XR50. Cool with that? BTW, you got some street tires for the XR or do you know where I can get them? Anthony.
http://www.teamozracing.com

Jiveturky
07-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Anthony,

That was pretty funny. What I actually meant was that I think it would be much more fun if we all had like bikes. I guess I could bring the YSR but I can guarantee you one thing the RS-80 is staying at the shop. You would kill yourself on that track on an 80. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Yes I have some tires for my XR. They are Sawa brand MC-18 medium race compound. I am ordering two more sets tomorrow and will be glad to order you a set. It should save you some money because we can split shipping. I will bring them with me and we can put them on at the track. The only bad thing is you have to buy a new chain as well because the tires are quite a bit larger. The tires at cost are about $60 and the chain is about $17. The chain is the same gold one that BBR and the other companies are selling for $50. I will give it to you for whatever I pay for them. It should not be more than $100. Let me know soon.

P.S.- I want everyone to know that YSR's will be more than welcome and I will even help move tires for you. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I think some of our XR's might be able to keep up on this track.

Later, Eric

anthony c smith
07-14-2003, 09:20 PM
What time saturday night is everyone going to be there. This may work out perfect since we will only be racing 2 hours @ Hallett. Can you email me a contact number for more detailed directions and a follow up on those street tires/chain. I am probably just gonna bring the YSR and putt around with the dirt tires on the XR. Thanks, Anthony.

Shane Thorn
07-14-2003, 10:09 PM
ERIC, HEY SHOOT ME SOME DIRECTIONS TO GET THERE FROM TYLER AND I WILL SEE IF I CAN COME UP AND BRING SOME PRODUCTS TO SHOW YOU GUYS FOR THESE LITTLE BIKE THAT WILL BLOW YOUR MINDS. AS WELL AS A COUPLE OF QUICK LITTLE XR'S

SHANE THORN
CLASSIC HONDA
903-509-2727
CLASSICHONDAUSA.COM

Jiveturky
07-15-2003, 08:28 PM
We called and tried to get the track for this weekend since many of you would already be in town but it is booked. Initially we were palnnng on getting this set up for the 26th weekend or the weekend after. I will still push for the 26th. As soon as we know something I will post.

Shane, yes we would love for you to make it. I will send you directions shortly.

Later, Eric

Geoff Reid
07-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Eric:

I'm in Tulsa and interested in coming out with my YSR if you get something set up on the 25-26th. Let me know. I'm sure I can get Chas Walters out as well.

-Geoff Reid
greid@citgo.com

troysturtz
07-18-2003, 06:08 PM
I remember the last time I saw Chas on a go kart track. He wrecked what... 6 or 7 times in the same race.

We should be able to get something set up pretty soon.

Troy

Jiveturky
07-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Geoff,

Hey good to hear from you. I haven't talked to Chas in awhile. It would be good to see you guys. Troy and I will post here on the board if the track is open. Does Chaz still have his YSR?

Later, Eric Yost

cedestech
07-20-2003, 10:16 PM
What about that kart track in Norman O.K.?

Jiveturky
07-21-2003, 06:04 PM
Emmitt,

I am still working on that guy. he is convinced that the footpegs on the bikes will tear up the track. the sad thing is I can't disagree with him. They do leave gouges.

Later, Eric

cedestech
07-21-2003, 07:46 PM
"actualy" the axle sprockets hitting the ground when they have a flat and or the fuel slopping out of carbs not designed for lateral G's do more
damage. If it was such a issue the denton track would have kicked us out a long time ago.

Passing by at 80 it looks kick ***.

They had a race weekend as big as ours Sunday judging by the canopies at 2: ish PM.

Jiveturky
07-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Emmitt,

You are right about all the things you listed. However, when I talked with him about 2 months ago he didn't mention any of that and I was not going to give him anymore reasons. The track is in much better shape than Denton, so he is very particular about it. The day I visited they had more semi rigs and motorhomes than any of our CMRA events. Those guys are very serious. Where are you located? The guy in Tulsa will let us ride. Troy is firming up the track this weekend so maybe I will know something tomorrow evening.

Later, Eric

Jiveturky
07-21-2003, 08:09 PM
Emmitt,

You are right about all the things you listed. However, when I talked with him about 2 months ago he didn't mention any of that and I was not going to give him anymore reasons. The track is in much better shape than Denton, so he is very particular about it. The day I visited they had more semi rigs and motorhomes than any of our CMRA events. Those guys are very serious. Where are you located? The guy in Tulsa will let us ride. Troy is firming up the track this weekend so maybe I will know something tomorrow evening.

Later, Eric

cedestech
07-21-2003, 10:28 PM
I'm in Houston. If it was a off weekend I'd consider going up to the one in Norman. Only about a 7 hour drive.