PDA

View Full Version : HOW DISAPPOINTING

tlogan122
07-14-2003, 03:35 PM
I was real disappointed to see Mat Mladin drop out of the WSBK race 2 yesterday because he was "tired"! This is the guy who last year did all the whining about how much an advantage the twins had over his 750. All the while his team mate (YIKES its Yates) continued to ride with the same bike. I didn't hear Eric Bostrom whining about how unfair it was on his 750. As a matter of fact, he gave Mr. Hayden a true battle to the end.

Didn't Yates run the same schedule? Isn't Mladin a professional racer that has been quoting all season that he is in great physical shape.

The WSBK rider just plan out rode him in Race #1 and he was on more than equal equipment.

Would Kevin Schwantz, Wayne Rainey,Miguel Duhummel, Scott Russell dropped out of the race because they were tired? The next race is TWO WEEKS AWAY! TWO WEEKS! I know somebody is gonna say that the "Championship is on the Line". My response is, If you didn't want to race and represent the "AMA SUPERBIKE" you shouldn't have signed up.

Maybe I have over looked something, BUT man I was REALLY DISAPPOINTED to hear that out of 6 spotts only two of the AMA guys rode. And even more disappointed to hear he dropped out because he was tired.....TOTALLY BUMMED!

Am I missing something?

Brad Thomas
07-14-2003, 04:59 PM
Dear Disappointed,
Yea you are missing something; Matt was tired just like he said. I watched him ride that first race and I'll have to say his riding looked like he was tired. He's usually more precise when he rides, I don't believe I've ever seen him ride the way he was riding in that first race. You did see several riders in front of him crash didn't you? He didn't crash and finished fourth. I totally respect him for his decision and applaud him for recognizing his limits. Have you ever tried to ride as fast as you can when you are tired? Guess what, you can't go as fast!

Why is it that everyone is so quick to jump on the, "I think Mladin sucks band wagon"?
How many AMA races and championships has anyone here won? I like Eric Bostrom too, but how many AMA Superbike Championships has he won?

Matt Mladin is a 3 time AMA SUPERBIKE CHAMPION, 1999,2000,2001.

That's 3 times in a row.

It's racing, NOT a popularity contest, if you don't like him because he complains fine, but you can't fault his ability and the results.
All the guys you mentioned were great riders and Miguel Duhamel is STILL a great rider and one of my favorites; he's a fan favorite, he's outgoing, he's had a long successful career (most AMA wins ever) several championships but even he has not won 3 SUPERBIKE CHAMPIONSHIPS, as a matter fact he has not even won 2. Ask him how difficult it is? If it was easy there would be a whole bunch of multiple champions.

I apologize for the tone but I've heard this over and over about Mladin. So what if he whines, big deal, just because he's not always chipper and smiling doesn't mean a thing, he is a CHAMPION.

ysr612
07-14-2003, 05:03 PM
from the outset of the weekend he was saying he was not all that instested in racing wsb. I believe after winning ama he had no drive left to race a race that didn't count. He had been racing allweekend and pushing himself hard I feel he was honest when he said he had nothing left and would rather sit out then hurt someone. Good for him knowing his limits.

ps I do feel he showed he could keep up.

darick
07-14-2003, 05:30 PM
Bottom line was the fact that Mladin had nothing to gain by racing in either races and everything to lose since his main focus SHOULD be AMA.

I'd hate to think of the what-if's.........and I'd have to agree that he wasn't on form in the 1st race on Sunday.

Van Blaylock
07-14-2003, 05:32 PM
Dear B utt T winkie Racer, :p you forgot to mention to those overweight half effort racers out there that riding at the limit takes a great amout of sustained isometric effort of the body. Not just sliding your beer gut from one side of the tank to the other. AND, when a person is not able to input the required level of steering force or braking, the bikes corner trajectory becomes very wide thereby, making the likely hood of a crash very possible. Sooo... if a rider is not able to ride the bike properly and has nothing to gain or lose it would then be a logical and responsible decision to retire.

P.S. he could've had knee surgery too! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Van

Jeff6R
07-14-2003, 07:23 PM
Blah, blah, I still don't like Mladin. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Can't deny that he's incredibly talented though. Of course if Eric ever had equal equipment... :p

Fermin
07-16-2003, 09:00 AM
OK, OK, I know that I will sound like a politician, but I have to agree with points made by several people who both agreed and disagreed with Mladin's decision.

First: In the opening post Yates was mentioned. Yes, Yates did run the same schedule as Mladin last season WITH the addition of running and winning the Supersport series, which Mladin did not, which means alot more racing than running Superbike alone.

Second: I will agree that Mladin made the correct choice in dropping out if he did not feel that he was safe. Getting himself or somebody else hurt does not accomplish anything.

The thing that I would take from this is that there may be room for Mladin to imporve his fitness level. I do not argue that he is probably very fit as it is but there were other guys that raced as much as he did.

Yea, he may need to concentrate on AMA, I could not imagine that there are NO aspirations of moving to WSB or MotoGP in him and dropping out of races because of being tired is not the way to demonstrate your full potential.

My $.02, and your vote would be appreciated.

(This ad has been paid for by the Committee to Elect Backmarkers to Office and the views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of any other human being, either alive or dead and any similarity to actual facts is purely accidentaly)

Fermin

Travis Pierce
07-16-2003, 09:13 AM
The part everybody is failing to mention is other than Darick is:

He has nothing to gain from running WSB. The points he may or may not get will not roll over to AMA.
If he feels that he was tired, than so be it. He was tired, and he should be allowed to sit one out, especially when it has nothing to do with a championship that he is currently working on.

I can promise you, if it would have had anything to do with the AMA and his points, he would have ran it.

As far as the AMA teams are concerened, they would rather not run that race, as you can see most teams don't even show up. It is extra wear on their equipment, their riders, pocket book, etc. and there isn't any advantage to it other than I ran with the world guys and beat them or got beat.

So, Mat made a good decision in my book. Even though I don't particularly like the guy. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

mcstealth
07-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Mladin wins races, wins championships and speaks his mind.

What does uuhhhh, Gobert do??????? SQUAT. As in Diddly! People like him. So what. He doesn't produce. JUST LIKE TRAVIS PASTRANA.

Good for Matt for doing what he felt like doing.

Mladin and Spies to Suzuka!!!!! They would win!

David

ysr612
07-16-2003, 09:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by David Ferris:

Mladin and Spies to Suzuka!!!!! They would win!

David</div></div>I would love to see that

07-18-2003, 01:43 AM
..... and this one time at band camp!?!

Naw Austrailians are just normally whiney *****es, I know i'm STILL married to one yeesh..
The best thing to do is just ignore them and drink heavily! :p

tlogan122
07-18-2003, 09:34 AM
Well I really didn't mean to piss off the Matt Mladin Fan Club. But, as my title indicated I am still Disappointed.

But lets look at the facts...

-Mladin did win 3 championships
-Mladin is a talented rider
-Mladin whines more than anyone else
-Mladin had nothing to gain for himself by racing the second WSB race.
-Yates raced the same schedule
-Yates is also in the Championship Points battle
-AMA superbike wasn't represented well especially since the "Superpole" winner dropped out.

- I AM STILL DISAPPOINTED!

darick
07-18-2003, 12:39 PM
Yep.....so was I but I'm not disappointed just disgruntled :rolleyes:

why? cause they didn't offer me to ride in his stead. After all these years as a Suzuki loyal ggggrrrrrrr

E. Templet
07-19-2003, 08:54 PM
In honor of Mladdin and Buttmaster, I'd like to dedicate the song "96 tears". I wanna, cry...cry cry cry. I wonder what they'd do if the had any "real life" issues?