PDA

View Full Version : hurricane Claudette

d_alexand
07-17-2003, 09:14 AM
Are all of you guys/gals from south TX or near the coast doing OK? Sounds like the hurricane came and went pretty quick, but there was still a lot of damage in certain areas.

Anybody heard from Jack G.?

Jack Giesecke
07-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Well, power bit the dust for a final time. I'm running on generator power right now and the wife is staying in a motel in Bay City. I stayed through and let me tell ya, it was an an experience beyond belief! All's fine with the house, though I had my doubts at times. There are lots of roofs damaged, some houses distroyed (not many), lots of major damage. Heard about a house blown off its foundation. I've got some pix on the camera I need to download. When the eye came over, I drove around and snapped some pix of damage downtown which is down the street from me. There were news trucks everywhere, so you probably saw the brick wall front that collapsed downtown. An old shrimp house next to the harbor lost a wall, lots of damage like that and trees down everywhere. I just had a limb come off a mesquite in front of my house. When it popped, it made a racket that got me out of my chair. Got out in the middle of it and started the generator, could hardly stand up and the carport roof was flapping, but held. Roofing material was flying down the street. It was really wild. I've got a metal roof, didn't hurt it at all. Wow, whadda deal, like living through a movie or something. I'm hoping I get power soon. This generator thing is a PITA. There's a wire pulled loose up on the pole, but there's power to the pole cause the car wash next door has lights. They say by Saturday, everyone should be hooked back up. Hope so.

Winds were clocked at 95 mph at the plant and gusts were recorded to 108, so that pretty much makes it a category 2 here, a lot worse than predicted. If I'd known that, I think I'd gotten the hell outta Dodge.

TXFZ1
07-17-2003, 07:33 PM
Jack's back! Glad to hear you made it through.

David

Jack Giesecke
07-18-2003, 08:44 PM
some pix I took are at http://www.geocities.com/goose50.geo/Claudette.html

Jack Giesecke
07-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Woohoo, power's back on! It's been out since Tuesday and I've had my generator running 24 hours a day since then. Anyone who has ever heard my generator can figure it kept the whole town awake. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif