PDA

View Full Version : What Bike?

Jiveturky
07-20-2003, 07:06 PM
I want to build a bike that will get me the most bang for my buck. There is a lot of mini stuff going on and I would like to partake. To date the most popular bike I have seen is the xr-100, you can road race it in the middle wieght mini, then race it with the TMGP, and flat track it in some of the new mini classes. However, I think the cr-85 would be a very good choice due to it's superior chassis and suspension. I realize this would put you up into heavy wieght mini for the CMRA, but what about the mini flat track stuff? Are they limited to just four stroke machines? I have ridden the new CRF 150 and was not impressed, I think it will take a lot of engine and suspension work to even come close to other machines. By the way the bike is actually a 156 CC machine which should eliminate it from some of the 150 classes. Please let me know your thoughts.

Later, Eric

Jack Giesecke
07-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Okay, my $.02-

Down here in the greater Houston area, or at least the Houston sphere of influence, there's not much dirt track for an 80. There's a mini series at Willis over the winter I'm going to take my XR to that I couldn't participate in with the KX. Linz also posted of a mini indoor MX. I hear through the grapevine that it's sorta dangerous and heck, I'm an old fart, got no business on an MX track. :rolleyes: /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif But, I wanna do some of that Willis flat track stuff this winter.

I love riding the KX. On the little kart tracks it's like a little superbike, power wheelies and slides, really a blast. But, it's limited to Unlimited class, the backwards race, and when they have a motard or big wheel race, I can run that. The XR adds one more, superbike, and if you place top three you get to run a free race, race of champions. I've run the KX and been protested and sometimes no in superbike, but with TMGP running a big wheel race at most tracks, there's no need to do that. I was just doing it because without cheating in superbike, I didn't get to ride until the last two races of the day. Too, the motard 80 in CMRA heavy mini is at a pretty good disadvantage in aerodynamics on most tracks against the GP stuff and Moriwakis. But, it can get the job done at Oak Hill or Cresson, but you gotta ride the wheels off it. Just forget Jay and Tyler and race for third. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif It is also competitive in ultra lightweight sportsman unless or until somebody comes up with a 250 tard for that class.

I don't plan to sell the KX now that I have a XR, it's just too fun to ride, but the XR is way more versatile and that's why they are so popular.

The TTR vs XR thing, I prefer the XR. I've ridden the thing at the six hour and Katy so far and the drum brake doesn't bother me. I just stand on the rear and slide it a lot to get it stopped. Really, the drum ain't that bad. And, there's a lot of knowledge with the XR, good engine builders out there. I really think it's the way to go. And, there are so many of them out there, lots of parts bikes around, parts to be had.

My BBM motor is finally in transit from Bare Bones and we'll be installing it for Denton... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Jack Giesecke
07-20-2003, 08:19 PM
BTW, consider a Yamaha if you go with an 85. You won't be able to find proper width wheels for a 28 spoke hub, the Yammy YZ has a 36 spoke. That was a major headache on the KX and only Duncan Paul's ingenious machining and junkyard mentality made it happen. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Jiveturky
07-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Jack,

I was hoping you would give me some advise. What about the TTR-125 and the CRF 150 do you think they might take over the mini stuff. I am with you on the MX stuff, too many injuries to be had.

Thanks, Eric

m novak
07-20-2003, 11:34 PM
Eric,

I don't think the stock tt125 had any or much motor on the stock XR. It didn't seem to at Katy anyway.

Like Jack said...spares out the wazoo for the XR. That is a good thing when you have someone like me who seems prone to test asphalt everywhere we go. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif I can tell you the XR crashes well. There is also tons of hop up potential on the XR that is already tried and true like cams, valves, carbs, springs, etc. Not sure on the 125.

I'm a fan of the XR...but the most fun I've had on it so far is racing with a guy on a 125 yamaha.

Jack Giesecke
07-21-2003, 06:25 PM
I've heard the TTR head doesn't have the flow potential, but I don't know that for a fact. But, like Mark says, the XRs are well sorted and there's tons of race prep guys out there that can get well into double digit horsepower out of them reliably. I've even got a Carrillo rod in mine for added reliability with the revs it'll be pulling. Motor came in today, was waiting on the porch when I got home, WOOHOO!

I wouldn't mess with the CRF due to the fact that if you wanna run TMGP, the limit is 130cc. Also, if it is indeed 156cc, technically, it'd not be legal in a lot of the flat track stuff with a 150cc limit and I think in CMRA it'd have to run with the 80s, not a good thing. We'll be riding Denton next month with the new motor if you're in the neighborhood. Bring leathers Sunday and ten bucks for a temporary TMGP license and you can take the bikes out for a few laps of practice to see what you think. But, regardless of which is the more fun bike, the XR is the more versatile.

You could get a CRF and put a modded XR motor in it. Then you'd have a disc brake. That might run into a little money. I bought a CR80 front end for my XR to make the conversion, but I've not done it. We're sticking with the drum. I already did the front suspension and I don't think the disc is really necessary at this point. All the reports of brake fade at the first Oak Hill had me worried, but after running the six hour and a Katy race, I sorta like it like it is. That may change with the added velocity of the modded motor, though. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Jiveturky
07-21-2003, 06:38 PM
Mark and Jack,

Thanks so much for your input. I put my name in the hat at BBR to buy the next rolling CRF chassis from them. They called last month and I turned it down. I think I am going to call them back and have it sent. Does anyone know where I can get a new modified xr 100 motor for a reasonable price? I have already bought and built one for a YSR and I had nothing but trouble with it. This time I would like to just buy one that was done right.

Thanks, Eric

Jack Giesecke
07-21-2003, 08:18 PM
I had mine done by Jay Wright at Bare Bones. The jury is out, yet, but he assures me it'll be reliable and fast. You can talk to him at http://www.barebones.net . He is one of the top thumper guys in the US. I think Scotty has a motor from http://www.xr100.com , Frank Nye? His bike is fast and seems reliable. Scotty and Chris Rankin have flogged the hell out of it last couple of years. These are the two builders I know about and trust. You'll have to send them a motor, though, at least with Jay. He has the special pistons for his reangled, oversize titanium valves and the Carrillo rods designed for that piston (won't work in a stock XR) in stock at his shop or can order them quickly. He's building a motor for a guy to use at the "Lodi XR100 Nationals", guess thats an MX, LOL.

Also, talk to Phillip Fisher at Motorcycles Plus in College Station. He e-med me about the XR after I'd already sent it off, but he had a really fast one he built and ran in TMGP. I think Jesse Davis has it now. Phillip knows his way around that little motor and would probably save you some money and be quicker and more accessable. I've been dealing through UPS with Jay.