PDA

View Full Version : Houston area help

ysr612
07-21-2003, 06:53 PM
this is a quote from the Houston board
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be quick and to the point, so forgive my brevity. Many of you have met Yuliya's daughter Sasha. Sasha is at Texas Children's Hospital, having been just diagnosed with acute myopia leukemia. The urgency of this post relates to the fact that Sasha needs blood platelets right away due to a shortage at the hospital. She has B- type blood, but she can be a direct recipient if you have any negative type of blood, and will get credit for any other type of blood donated. With all due respect, I urge everyone who is able to donate platelets or whole blood to do so as soon as possible. I'll try to post some contact for the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Centers (I think that's the name) asap, or if anyone else has that info handy, it would be great if you could do it for me.
</div></div> post about Yulia\'s child (http://pub122.ezboard.com/fhoustonsportbikenetworkfrm2.showMessage?topicID=1 094.topic)

Ronnie Lunsford
07-22-2003, 12:36 AM
Is there still a need for blood platelets ?

Sometimes these kids may need two per day,
but the blood platelets are only good for
48 hours, so it is best to set up a schedule,
so that she has platelets when needed.
She can have a credit for donated platelets,
but if they are expired and there are none
available, it does no good !!!!!

I am familiar with the platelet process from working with children with brain tumors.

The platelet donating process takes about an
hour and a half to 2 hours, because they are filtering out the platelets from your blood and returning your blood back into you.
Also because of this, I believe you can donate
platelets every 3 days.

Please post an update and let me know if I can help in any way.

Ronnie Lunsford

Clayton Werner
07-22-2003, 01:11 AM
Is there any way that someone with A+ blood can donate for a credit for the type she needs?

Clayton

ysr612
07-22-2003, 06:27 AM
I left out some of the post sorry <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> An Urgent Call For Help
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll be quick and to the point, so forgive my brevity. Many of you have met Yuliya's daughter Sasha. Sasha is at Texas Children's Hospital, having been just diagnosed with acute myopia leukemia. The urgency of this post relates to the fact that Sasha needs blood platelets right away due to a shortage at the hospital. She has B- type blood, but she can be a direct recipient if you have any negative type of blood, and will get credit for any other type of blood donated. With all due respect, I urge everyone who is able to donate platelets or whole blood to do so as soon as possible. I'll try to post some contact for the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Centers (I think that's the name) asap, or if anyone else has that info handy, it would be great if you could do it for me.

The information to give when donating is as follows:

Name: Alexandra Dvorak
Hospital: Texas Childrens
Admission #: 11629347

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me at my office tomorrow, 713-241-8470, leave a voicemail if I don't answer and I'll get back to you shortly.

Please, let's do all we can to help Sasha. And for any TSBA members here, I'd appreciate someone linking this post over there. A lot of the folks over there know Yuliya well, and I am sure they'd want to help.

-Pete </div></div>

07-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Guys and gals...

All donations are welcome. If you have anything other the (-) type blood... I'd suggest to donate blood. But if you have (-) type blood, please offer to donate platelets.

Just make sure you donate it in her name so she recieves the needed platelets, and credit for the blood donated.

Thanks to all for your help!

m novak
07-22-2003, 06:07 PM
She will get the credit even if you are not type (-).

NW side has a blood station right at fallbrook and 1960 not far from Jones...

I ended up by another guy giving for Sasha...so we raced. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Barb Prussiano
07-23-2003, 12:07 AM
I spoke with Ronnie Lunsford today who shared with me his concern in helping out this little girl whose situation is something that he has been involved with in the past with cancer patients. So I called Yuliya but got her voice mail - understandibly so. She was sweet enough to return my call considering the termoil she is going through. She explained a few things that I didn't know about blood, blood platlettes, etc.

Okay, y'all ~ now is the time to work as a team to help out a friend in need.

The whole blood platelette thing is really a mystery to me, but it's a serious thing and we all need to help but it's a timing thing. So ~ I will call Yuliya back tomorrow to get more info. But for now, the main thing is to give blood at the right time in order for it to be administered to Sasha.

After I talk to her tomorrow and get more details I will post more info. But right now what it's looking like is spending a couple of hours at the Children's hospital donating blood/blood platlettes which I know we can all do very easily.

Please look again at this post so we can all work together to help Sasha and Yuliya.

And a special thanks goes out to Shelly and Ronnie for making me aware of this situation.

Also ~ Yuliya asked that I tell you all "thank you" for your help.

Barb Prussiano

07-23-2003, 12:17 AM
Just got back from Texas Children's... Sasha is pretty much wiped out. Completely exhausted, the poor kid can hardly keep her eyes open. She started her chemo treatments today, and had her second one while I was there visiting. I was extremely impressed the way she handled it. She's one tough kid! She's in a room that would make any 6 year old jealous... hell, I even thought it was awesome.

And as far as Yuliya goes... I don't understand how she still has all her hair... if that was my child, I would of already pulled all my hair out or have had a nervous breakdown. She's got close family from out of state and out of country visiting. Yuliya has been at TCH since Saturday afternoon. I believe Sasha's father is going to go up to the hospital in the morning, so Yuliya can go home, get some much needed rest, change of clothes, etc...

If you'd like to visit Sasha and Yuliya, I would suggest to call in advance. Yuliya has been riding the doctor's *** regarding information about donating blood & platelets. The impression she gave me tonight, was that once Sasha gets home (hopefully early next week) and things start to stablize, when she goes in for her chemo treatments, they will be able to tell when she will need platelets, and then someone can schedule to make a donation. I'm sure Yuliya will have more details about this once things settle down.

Yuliya wanted me to say "Thank You" to everyone for their support, thoughts & payers, blood & platelet donations, gifts, and concerns. I'm probably going to stop by the hospital some time on Friday, and will update everyone with my findings.

-Tim-

07-23-2003, 12:23 AM
Barb... you may want to get in contact with Pete(swampboy) from the HSN forum(www.houstonsportbikenetwork.com). In the next day or two he will be getting a schedule from Yuliya(or as soon as the doctor gives it to her) to when the best time for people to donate platelets would be. Whole blood can be donated any time, mainly cause the shelf life is much longer than the platelets life span(which is only about 5 days for the platelets).

Barb Prussiano
07-23-2003, 12:55 AM
Thanks a bunch Tim for the info. I know when Yuliya returned my call today she was pretty worn out so I don't want to bother her.

Keep in touch and please let me know if there is anything I can do,

Barb

tracykyleharris
07-23-2003, 08:24 AM
Is there anything those of us out of town or out of state can do? For instance, can those of us in the Fort Worth/Dallas area donate to Carter bloodcare in her name, etc. I feel helpless, I wish there was more I can do. Let us know if there is any other way we can help. Yuliya and Sasha are in our thoughts.

Thanks you guys for keeping us informed.

07-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the offer Kyle... but I can't answer your question, sorry. Only thing I can suggest is to call and ask. Here is some information if you're planning on donating blood or platelets.

Name: Alexandra Dvorak
Hospital: Texas Childrens
Admission #: 11629347
Medical Record #: 8790980

For right now(this week) I think she is ok, enough people have made donations, but things are still so up and down that even the doctors aren't sure. Myself or someone will keep ya'll updated.

If anyone would like to send a message to Yuliya or Sasha, please go to HSN forum by clicking: Yuliya ans Sasha thread (http://pub122.ezboard.com/fhoustonsportbikenetworkfrm2.showMessage?topicID=1 094.topic) I plan on printing out the entire thread and taking it up to the hospital for them to read. Your "hello's" and "get well's" would be put a smile on Sasha's face.

Fermin
07-23-2003, 12:47 PM
I have been a pediatric oncology nurse for 4 years so this a topic I know a little about. Here is a little more info on the platelet and red blood cell thing. With platelets, the most important thing is the Rh factor (either + or -), they can be given if the blood type (A,B,AB, or O) is different because the markers that designate blood type are only on the red blood cells. If the person getting the platelets is Rh + they can receive either + or -, if that person is -, they have to get - platelets or blood because they will react to + ones.

Anybody that would be possible donors for Sasha should give blood and or platelets in her name. If you are not compatable with her I would encourage you to give them anyway, there have been numerous times that I have had to wait several hours to give blood products to a kid I was taking care of because the hospital and Red Cross were both out due to the shortage everywhere (I worked at Arkansas Childrens Hospital).

The treatment for AML is very rigerous and Sasha may be in the hospital for a while before she gets to go home so lets all keep her in our prayers.

Fermin

Ronnie Lunsford
07-25-2003, 03:14 AM
To everyone that would like to help Yuliya,
and her daughter Sasha- THANKS

It is imperative that we schedule donors so that
Sasha always has blood platelets when she needs
them!!!!!

To that end, Pete over on the Houston Sportbike
Network, has taken on the task of making sure this
occurs and working out a schedule, which is the
most important task we can do at this time !!!!!

Sasha's Doctor is asking for donors that are exact
matches, which is B- negative, so what we need is
anybody that is B-, and are willing to donate
platelets, please e mail Pete at prichard@ev1.net,
and include a call back telephone number, so
that he can work you into the schedule,
I can't tell you how important this is!!!!!!!!

So if you are B-, negative this is 1st call !!!!

And to those of you who are wondering why I am
up so late, I've been working on that endurance
bike, that fell over in the trailer, yeah , that's
the ticket, it fell over in the trailer, I hate
that when it happens !!!!!!

Thanks to everyone, for making the difference in the life of a child, that needs your help!!!!!!!!!!

If you can, please E mail Pete
3rd call !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Ronnie

Jack Giesecke
07-25-2003, 08:15 AM
Ronnie, thank you very much for getting involved in this. Yuli is such a sweet person and her little girl, Sasha, is a sweet little gem. I was disturbed to here of this. God, what I'd give for B- blood right now...

Mark, what say after we get that XR motor in and do our wheelies down the street and get Kelly's neighbors on his case, we go donate blood Saturday? I'm O+. I'm pretty sure, but I sure wanna do SOMEthing for Sasha. We could donate in the name of Deadhorse Racing.....

I'm wondering how far from Methodist is Tex Children's? I think they're right there together. My mom is battling bladder cancer in Methodist. I'd like to bop over and see Sasha when I go see my mom, probably after a good SMR to the Fayetteville area Sunday....

07-25-2003, 10:37 AM
Latest update:

Just got off the phone with Yuliya. Sasha has pneumonia, and was moved to ICU yesterday, due to her shallow, fast breathing. The fluid buildup in her lungs is restricting her blood from receiving the much needed oxygen for profusion thru-out her body. In a nutshell... her O2sat was getting too low. Once in ICU, they tried the "blow-by" method which didn't work, then tried a nasal canal, but then still prove enough O2 for her, right now they have her on a non-rebreather(which delivers 98% pure oxygen to the body) if this doesn't bring her O2sat back up or if her breathing doesn't slow down, the next step will be to intubate her /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

She's on heavy antibiotics, but her white blood cell count is so low from the chemo, that the antibiotics aren't going to have the best effects on her.

This is a step in the wrong direction for Sasha... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif If you haven't prayed for her yet.... please do!

Jack... they are next door to each other, but with Sasha now being in ICU... Yuliya asked for noone to visit until she's back in a private room.

Steve McNamara
07-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Damn....................
If Sasha is anything like her Mom, She's tough!!

07-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Update:

Just got off the phone with Yuliya. Sasha has taken a complete U-turn, out of ICU, and back in a private room.

Last night, she finally ate a meal... first one in the last six days! Today, while back in her private room, she ate three meals, the swelling in face has gone down, and she's acting like her goofy-self again. Her white blood cell count is WAY down, so the chemo seems to be doing it's job. Everything is going in the right direction, but she's still not out of the woodwork just yet.

I'm going to stop by the hospital Sunday afternoon, around 1-ish. If anyone is interested in going with me, just let me know.

Ronnie Lunsford
07-27-2003, 11:15 AM
Thanks to everyone who has responded to the request for B-platelet donations for Sasha.

Pete, from the Houston Sportbike Network, is
coordinating these.
If you sent him an email to prichard@ev1.net,
he is out of town until Monday, so he will be
contacting you to set up a schedule.

If you would like to donate, please send an e mail
to Pete, and include a daytime phone #, so he can
contact you.

Yuliya Marcer
07-27-2003, 06:31 PM
I don't have the words right now to thank you all for doing what you are doing. Support from you has certainly given me the extra strength to get through the last few days that, without a doubt, have been the toughest days of Sasha's and my life.

Your help and prayers have helped, Sasha is out of ICU and back to being her normal self (read - total goofball), eating three meals a day and tons of food in between and watching cartoons all day long - in short, being a typical 6-year old. She started chemo last Tuesday and will be done next Tuesday, hopefully coming home after this round for three or four weeks.

She has been receiving one or two units of platelets and packed red blood cells every day so all of your donations are going to great use. She has a more rare type of leukemia, Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML), type M5 (monocytic) with rather scary odds.. but there is no doubt in my mind she will pull through. For now, it is one day at a time for us.

Ronnie, I don't know how to thank you for stepping up to help, I hope that once we are out I'll be able to come by and thank you in person.

Thank you all again,

Yuliya

PS In case you guys want to know what Sasha looks like, here's a photo from HSN's coast ride. Some of you may remember her from the Ride for Kids in Houston, she was my passenger:

http://home.houston.rr.com/lilsquid/yuli%20sasha%201%20crop.JPG

G-Man
07-28-2003, 02:58 PM
Just want to clarify that any RH - factor donor is acceptable for platelet donations for Sasha. A-, B-, AB- O- donors are all welcome to contact Pete, prichard@ev1.net, for scheduling information.

I'm O- and am scheduled to go through platelet apheresis this week for her.

Keep in mind that the benefit to giving platelets other than whole blood is the reduction in time required before you can donate again. I believe that platelet donors are limited to 15 days before they are eligible to donate again where whole blood donors are required to wait a minimum of 56 days.

BTW, Texas Children's Hospital frowns on latex ballons in the children's unit so please only send/bring mylar and her favorite ice cream is Vanilla (chocolate chips as an additional topping scores points as well).

Thanks

m novak
07-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Gordon,

Platelet donors need only wait 48 hours.

Also, a friend in my Sunday school was mentioning that most blood banks have a bone marrow donor list you can get on. He's been on 10 years and never called, but a friend of his had the opportunity to save a life last year by donating.

07-29-2003, 02:58 PM
Sasha gets to go home today! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Ronnie Lunsford
08-13-2003, 08:14 AM
We are still in need of negative factor blood
platelet donors for Sasha, please email Pete
Richard at prichard@ev1.net if you are in Houston and have A-,B-,AB-, or O- blood type !!!
Please include a daytime phone number so he
can contact you, to keep a steady supply of
donors scheduled.
Thanks,
Ronnie

Ronnie Lunsford
08-13-2003, 09:20 PM
bump

Yuliya Marcer
08-15-2003, 07:48 PM
We are back at the hospital for another round of chemo after the bone marrow biopsy came out less than stellar. Thank you guys for all your help, it means a lot for us to have your support.

Yuliya and Sasha

Jeff Grant
08-28-2003, 12:03 PM
I just spoke with Ronnie Lunsford, and he stated that an URGENT call for a B- platelet donor is
needed TODAY. (Ronnie can't post from work so I'm doing it for him).

Please contact Pete at his email
address, or call if you can help/donate... he is handling the scheduling:

prichard@ev1.net
713-241-8470

Ronnie Lunsford
08-30-2003, 12:12 AM
PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

I gave blood last week so I'm not eligible again
for a while, Sasha, just needs to borrow your
platelets, you get to have your blood back !!!

She is undergoing chemo, so it is imperative
that she has a steady supply of blood platelets
in order to keep her blood counts up.

If you are any negative factor, A-, B-, AB-
or o-, and are willing to donate blood platelets,
please e mail Pete Richard at prichard@ev1.net
or call him at 713-241-8470.

Thanks,
Ronnie

Yuliya Marcer
09-14-2003, 10:59 AM
Sasha had bone marrow biopsy and a spinal tap done Wednesday to test for presense of leukemic cells in her bone marrow and spinal fluid. Both tests came back normal! The first two rounds of chemo did their job and Sasha is in remission, now we just need to keep it that way. Because she is responding to treatment so well the doctors recommended to wait with doing the bone marrow transplant, finish the chemo (three more months or so) and hopefully that alone would be sufficient.

We are back at the hospital since Wednesday until Sunday night or Monday for the third round of chemo. After that it's three to six weeks of recovery with two more rounds of chemo, and if things go as well as they have been so far <knock on wood> we'll avoid the transplant and all the unpleasantries and possible complications associated with it. If AML (acute myeloid leukemia), as opposed to ALL (lymphocytic leukemia), doesn't come back within a year or two after the treatment is finished it usually doesn't come back at all - I for one sure am counting on that!

Of course nothing is certain, complications may arise any day and Sasha still needs platelets after these three rounds of chemo, but this is the first bit of very good news in a while and I feel like celebrating

Sasha's been feeling very well, active, eating and goofy as usual. She loves the Mike Larocco MX outfit that Pete got her and insists on wearing that all the time. What a biker chick.

We have just received the check from Scott Friday for all the generous donations of you guys who went on the fundraising ride. It went a long ways towards paying our big fat insurance deductible for this year - thank you so very much!!! And thank you again to all who gave blood and platelets, they all went to an incredibly good use.

Oh, and Sasha asked me to give you this message:

http://home.houston.rr.com/lilsquid/Thanks/MVC-655F.JPG