PDA

View Full Version : Pit bike age and maturity requirements.

cedestech
09-30-2002, 06:46 AM
I say maturity because I know there are
kids under the age limit who are mature enough to
ride pit bikes resposably and adults who aren't.
That being said if you have a comment about
age requirements and maybe even a skill based test or licsence you should pipe up. This subject
has turned into a long thread on "the stand" thread and I know the BOD is working on a solution.That being said I do believe the age limit needs to be inforced. I know there are
real good kids under 10 but they are the
exception. I don't want to see any children get
hurt because of poor parenting skills and the
lack of anyone wanting to be the bad guy and
inforce the rules.

cedestech
09-30-2002, 06:46 AM
I say maturity because I know there are
kids under the age limit who are mature enough to
ride pit bikes resposably and adults who aren't.
That being said if you have a comment about
age requirements and maybe even a skill based test or licsence you should pipe up. This subject
has turned into a long thread on "the stand" thread and I know the BOD is working on a solution.That being said I do believe the age limit needs to be inforced. I know there are
real good kids under 10 but they are the
exception. I don't want to see any children get
hurt because of poor parenting skills and the
lack of anyone wanting to be the bad guy and
inforce the rules.

Steve Haesemeyer
09-30-2002, 12:22 PM
I asked my 6 year old son Chris if he wanted to go with me to Cresson. The first thing he asked was "Do I get to ride my motorcycle there?" The kids want to go to the race track with their parents but if they can't have fun, Why go? I know Brooks and my wife had a heated discussion over this at Hallett. I know Chris was not the only one at Hallett who was riding his/her motorcycle. I didn't mean to start big deal when I asked Brooks what was the policy at Cresson. But I guess I'm not the only one. I agree 100% with Emmett and Eric Falt, our number 1 concern is keeping our yougn's safe. God forbid if something happened to any one of them. But not taking him to the race track with me is cutting down on the "quality time" I get to spend with him. What can be done? Just my opinion. HAZE

Steve Haesemeyer
09-30-2002, 12:22 PM
I asked my 6 year old son Chris if he wanted to go with me to Cresson. The first thing he asked was "Do I get to ride my motorcycle there?" The kids want to go to the race track with their parents but if they can't have fun, Why go? I know Brooks and my wife had a heated discussion over this at Hallett. I know Chris was not the only one at Hallett who was riding his/her motorcycle. I didn't mean to start big deal when I asked Brooks what was the policy at Cresson. But I guess I'm not the only one. I agree 100% with Emmett and Eric Falt, our number 1 concern is keeping our yougn's safe. God forbid if something happened to any one of them. But not taking him to the race track with me is cutting down on the "quality time" I get to spend with him. What can be done? Just my opinion. HAZE

09-30-2002, 01:35 PM
I could give a fig about age and/or maturity; (especially maturity, who gets to make the call on that?!?) The paddock is too hectic, and frankly too dangerous a place for children to walk; let alone ride a pit bike. Figure 52 weeks in a year; subtract 12 weekends out for race weekends and that still leaves plenty of riding time to be accomplished "AT HOME".
The track/paddock is not a playground.

Raymond Paris
#82 Mystery Dance

09-30-2002, 01:35 PM
I could give a fig about age and/or maturity; (especially maturity, who gets to make the call on that?!?) The paddock is too hectic, and frankly too dangerous a place for children to walk; let alone ride a pit bike. Figure 52 weeks in a year; subtract 12 weekends out for race weekends and that still leaves plenty of riding time to be accomplished "AT HOME".

Raymond Paris
#82 Mystery Dance

Allan Stevens
09-30-2002, 02:03 PM
Getting outta hand. Next thing is, these guys will want to ban dogs at the races. Carpet Dog's excluded of course.

Allan Stevens
09-30-2002, 02:03 PM
Getting outta hand. Next thing is, these guys will want to ban dogs at the races. Carpet Dog's excluded of course.

Louis Reinartz
09-30-2002, 02:28 PM
No dogs at TWS...next! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Louis Reinartz
09-30-2002, 02:28 PM
No dogs at TWS...next! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Bob.Dietrich
09-30-2002, 02:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I could give a fig about age and/or maturity; (especially maturity, who gets to make the call on that?!?) The paddock is too hectic, and frankly too dangerous a place for children to walk; let alone ride a pit bike. Figure 52 weeks in a year; subtract 12 weekends out for race weekends and that still leaves plenty of riding time to be accomplished "AT HOME".

Raymond Paris
#82 Mystery Dance </div></div>Raymond - Are you saying kids should not be allowed to walk around the paddock?

I think that is wrong. This is just club racing and it should be able to be enjoyed by the whole family.

Bob.Dietrich
09-30-2002, 02:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I could give a fig about age and/or maturity; (especially maturity, who gets to make the call on that?!?) The paddock is too hectic, and frankly too dangerous a place for children to walk; let alone ride a pit bike. Figure 52 weeks in a year; subtract 12 weekends out for race weekends and that still leaves plenty of riding time to be accomplished "AT HOME".

Raymond Paris
#82 Mystery Dance </div></div>Raymond - Are you saying kids should not be allowed to walk around the paddock?

I think that is wrong. This is just club racing and it should be able to be enjoyed by the whole family.

ysr612
09-30-2002, 02:57 PM
I have always said exclude the carpet dogs.

On the other note I love to see the kids ride but I have to aggree they are a danger to themselves and more important others.

ysr612
09-30-2002, 02:57 PM
I have always said exclude the carpet dogs.

On the other note I love to see the kids ride but I have to aggree they are a danger to themselves and more important others.

Allan Stevens
09-30-2002, 03:07 PM
Nothing more sad than an inebriated rug puppy on a pit bike. The club is always up for promoting diversity, "CMRA Day Care Center" Has a nice ring to it. They could have Jesse Davis run the thing. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Allan Stevens
09-30-2002, 03:07 PM
Nothing more sad than an inebriated rug puppy on a pit bike. The club is always up for promoting diversity, "CMRA Day Care Center" Has a nice ring to it. They could have Jesse Davis run the thing. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

ysr612
09-30-2002, 03:12 PM
It would be an education for the little ones.
how sweet

ysr612
09-30-2002, 03:12 PM
It would be an education for the little ones.
how sweet

Allan Stevens
09-30-2002, 03:14 PM
Just to be on the safe side,Tech Nazi Kelcher could check up on them just to be sure everything is on the up and up. :rolleyes:

Allan Stevens
09-30-2002, 03:14 PM
Just to be on the safe side,Tech Nazi Kelcher could check up on them just to be sure everything is on the up and up. :rolleyes:

David Branyon
09-30-2002, 09:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Raymond Paris:

Raymond Paris
#82 Mystery Dance</div></div>Yes well, I'd say that the real issue is why is the paddock such a dangerous place? Heck, it's dangerous for ME! Motorcycle racing takes a huge chunk out of all our schedules. If you don't have kids, it's pretty easy to say, "spend time with them some other time." There is not a lot of "other" time. And why should the track be such an unfriendly place? My son and I have been discussing endurancing a YSR next year. He takes my lap times every lap, of every race and practice and has them all written down for me when I get off the track. He LOVES going. Do you think he'd be this excited if he never got to go to the track? How many of our new young members came to know CMRA by riding their XR50s out in the grass in the infield at TWS? Is it too much to ask to let my son *carefully* ride his XR70 out to the horseshoe at TWS? Or ride around in the unpopulated area in the grass way to the left of the horseshoe?

I don't even let him ride around the garage area as there are too many of us that can't control ourselves and come around blind corners on a wheelie and such and I'm afraid he'll get hurt. So, then I get the response that he shouldn't be out there because he is a danger to himself and all this.

Sheesh... I've about had it here.

I would support a skills test. As I mentioned in the other topic, you could check their ability to stop quickly (on a quick verbal shout or something else surprising, not at a line), turn, and even watch them exit an aisle and make sure they slow down or stop and look both ways before pulling out. [I'm figuring half our racers would fail this test. ;-) ] If possible, give them a photo ID to wear around their neck at the track. Any non-racer (no leathers?) without the ID would be put in the stocks for the rest of the day. Anyone with ID who is riding like an idiot would have their ID pulled for 3 months or something. ANY RACER WHO WAS RIDING LIKE AN IDIOT WOULD FORFEIT THEIR FIRST RACE ENTRY FOR THAT DAY. Should get some folks' attention, dontcha think?

Or, leave the kids at home and everyone continue to ride like idiots until one of us adults gets run over. I vote for option A.

David Branyon
09-30-2002, 09:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Raymond Paris:

Raymond Paris
#82 Mystery Dance</div></div>Yes well, I'd say that the real issue is why is the paddock such a dangerous place? Heck, it's dangerous for ME! Motorcycle racing takes a huge chunk out of all our schedules. If you don't have kids, it's pretty easy to say, "spend time with them some other time." There is not a lot of "other" time. And why should the track be such an unfriendly place? My son and I have been discussing endurancing a YSR next year. He takes my lap times every lap, of every race and practice and has them all written down for me when I get off the track. He LOVES going. Do you think he'd be this excited if he never got to go to the track? How many of our new young members came to know CMRA by riding their XR50s out in the grass in the infield at TWS? Is it too much to ask to let my son *carefully* ride his XR70 out to the horseshoe at TWS? Or ride around in the unpopulated area in the grass way to the left of the horseshoe?

I don't even let him ride around the garage area as there are too many of us that can't control ourselves and come around blind corners on a wheelie and such and I'm afraid he'll get hurt. So, then I get the response that he shouldn't be out there because he is a danger to himself and all this.

Sheesh... I've about had it here.

I would support a skills test. As I mentioned in the other topic, you could check their ability to stop quickly (on a quick verbal shout or something else surprising, not at a line), turn, and even watch them exit an aisle and make sure they slow down or stop and look both ways before pulling out. [I'm figuring half our racers would fail this test. ;-) ] If possible, give them a photo ID to wear around their neck at the track. Any non-racer (no leathers?) without the ID would be put in the stocks for the rest of the day. Anyone with ID who is riding like an idiot would have their ID pulled for 3 months or something. ANY RACER WHO WAS RIDING LIKE AN IDIOT WOULD FORFEIT THEIR FIRST RACE ENTRY FOR THAT DAY. Should get some folks' attention, dontcha think?

Or, leave the kids at home and everyone continue to ride like idiots until one of us adults gets run over. I vote for option A.

David Branyon
09-30-2002, 09:35 PM
As if I haven't written enough, I just read the other topic and loved the idea from ?Emmett? re: specifying an area at the track where the kids could ride that is out of the way. Any chance of that happening? I might should be more specific that I really wouldn't let my kids ride in the paddock area itself, but off to the side, like in the grass between the parking and the fence along the track at Cresson or something, where there are few or no other vehicles/pedestrians.

David Branyon
09-30-2002, 09:35 PM
As if I haven't written enough, I just read the other topic and loved the idea from ?Emmett? re: specifying an area at the track where the kids could ride that is out of the way. Any chance of that happening? I might should be more specific that I really wouldn't let my kids ride in the paddock area itself, but off to the side, like in the grass between the parking and the fence along the track at Cresson or something, where there are few or no other vehicles/pedestrians.

ysr612
09-30-2002, 09:37 PM
I like the way the idiots ride. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

ysr612
09-30-2002, 09:37 PM
I like the way the idiots ride. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Jiveturky
09-30-2002, 10:09 PM
I agree with Emmet and David B. The issue here has more to do with the parents. My son is 6 and is not allowed to ride his motorcycle in the paddock area period. Much to dangerous!! I am not just talking about entering and exiting racebikes but those darned 4 wheeled vehicles as well. People are coming and going all day long. There is no way I can see a kid on a 50 while backing up my trailer. It is up to the parents to set the ground rules. There are two tracks my son can bring his motorcycle, Hallet and TWS. The others do not offer enough riding area. Especially Oakhill. Another rule I have for him is he is not to ride while I am racing. Yes, that means the whole race 4 or 6 hours.

Although, I would hate to see an across the board rule ruin a good thing. I must admit we have a problem. I have witnessed several near misses and on several occasions stopped kids and told them to slow down. Who and where are their parents?? One thing is for sure the kids do not need to be speeding around the paddock.

With that said, I still must agree with Steve don't take the privilage away. But parents remember that is just what it is "A PRIVILAGE".

Thanks, Eric

Jiveturky
09-30-2002, 10:09 PM
I agree with Emmet and David B. The issue here has more to do with the parents. My son is 6 and is not allowed to ride his motorcycle in the paddock area period. Much to dangerous!! I am not just talking about entering and exiting racebikes but those darned 4 wheeled vehicles as well. People are coming and going all day long. There is no way I can see a kid on a 50 while backing up my trailer. It is up to the parents to set the ground rules. There are two tracks my son can bring his motorcycle, Hallet and TWS. The others do not offer enough riding area. Especially Oakhill. Another rule I have for him is he is not to ride while I am racing. Yes, that means the whole race 4 or 6 hours.

Although, I would hate to see an across the board rule ruin a good thing. I must admit we have a problem. I have witnessed several near misses and on several occasions stopped kids and told them to slow down. Who and where are their parents?? One thing is for sure the kids do not need to be speeding around the paddock.

With that said, I still must agree with Steve don't take the privilage away. But parents remember that is just what it is "A PRIVILAGE".

Thanks, Eric

JesseJohnson
09-30-2002, 11:09 PM
What it comes down to is this: The tracks themselves have rules. They have turned a blind eye to them so far, but they fully have the right to ban all pit bikes for everyone. No matter how fair the no kids rule is, the track ownership rules are the law. You can debate skills tests or whatever, but what the track and their lawyers say, goes.

Jess

ps I'm all for having an area for kids. That would rule if we could do it the right way, get track approval and all. Not likely, especially in this litigatious society.

I saw that kid on that cr 80 ride over every single piece of Hallett at least twice, 3 or 4 if it had any mud. That was awesome. These kids are lucky, my parents still hate motorcycles, period. I'm glad they get to ride at all.

JesseJohnson
What it comes down to is this: The tracks themselves have rules. They have turned a blind eye to them so far, but they fully have the right to ban all pit bikes for everyone. No matter how fair the no kids rule is, the track ownership rules are the law. You can debate skills tests or whatever, but what the track and their lawyers say, goes.

Jess

ps I'm all for having an area for kids. That would rule if we could do it the right way, get track approval and all. Not likely, especially in this litigatious society.

I saw that kid on that cr 80 ride over every single piece of Hallett at least twice, 3 or 4 if it had any mud. That was awesome. These kids are lucky, my parents still hate motorcycles, period. I'm glad they get to ride at all.

Ty Howard
You almost have to keep the kids from riding in the paddock if you want them to stay safe. Unfortunately, there is no safe place for them in the pits to ride. Riders going to the grid late are always hauling *** and riders coming in pissed off are always going to fast also. The worst are the exciting ones that just won or did better than they have ever done and can't wait to get back and celebrate with there cooler. I actually witnessed a guy in leathers without a helmet on his XR 100 hauling it across the paddock almost run into the side of a rider going to grid. The guy crashed the 100 and jumped up raising hell with the racer(who was following all the rules) Short story long, your children are not safe riding in the pits. It takes all the attention you have just to make to the grid without plowing another rider or a pit bike. The infield at TWS and Cresson is great, but the pits are to dangerous.
Good Luck with the kids!

Ty Howard
You almost have to keep the kids from riding in the paddock if you want them to stay safe. Unfortunately, there is no safe place for them in the pits to ride. Riders going to the grid late are always hauling *** and riders coming in pissed off are always going to fast also. The worst are the exciting ones that just won or did better than they have ever done and can't wait to get back and celebrate with there cooler. I actually witnessed a guy in leathers without a helmet on his XR 100 hauling it across the paddock almost run into the side of a rider going to grid. The guy crashed the 100 and jumped up raising hell with the racer(who was following all the rules) Short story long, your children are not safe riding in the pits. It takes all the attention you have just to make to the grid without plowing another rider or a pit bike. The infield at TWS and Cresson is great, but the pits are to dangerous.
Good Luck with the kids!

shane carter
10-01-2002, 09:39 AM
Ah what the heck, I'll throw my .02 out there as well. Parents know it's not safe to let munchkins on motorized tricycles run freely in a place where you have 400 pound rockets zooming back and fourth in the paddock area. (well they know it's a little dangerous but its the only way Jr. can have some fun at the track). Here comes the hard love baby, so set back, kick your shoes of and get pissed! How much fun is it going to be when they have to pull him out from under one of these big scalding hot motorcyles with his arms twisted up like bread wrappers and no hide left on his body. I just don't understand why they are even trying to justify it. Do yall let them play ball on the freeway? I've seen racers literaly dodging them at hallet. Is was flat azz scarey. This is death waiting to happen. There is a simple fix for parents. Bring the bikes but take time to be a parent. Take them out to the field away from all the maham and comotion and let them ride and SUPERVISE them. Cresson has twenty acres of field west of the track. It has a course already graded in as well, have fun. Look, I don't mean to piss parents of by this and I apologize if I do. But I'm fat, way out of shape, and when I come off the track sweaty and tired and not really paying attention. Just trying to make it to the pit to wrack the bike. It would kill me if I hit one of these little kids and hurt them badly. I would never be able to live that down.

Sa Da tay!

shane carter
10-01-2002, 09:39 AM
Ah what the heck, I'll throw my .02 out there as well. Parents know it's not safe to let munchkins on motorized tricycles run freely in a place where you have 400 pound rockets zooming back and fourth in the paddock area. (well they know it's a little dangerous but its the only way Jr. can have some fun at the track). Here comes the hard love baby, so set back, kick your shoes of and get pissed! How much fun is it going to be when they have to pull him out from under one of these big scalding hot motorcyles with his arms twisted up like bread wrappers and no hide left on his body. I just don't understand why they are even trying to justify it. Do yall let them play ball on the freeway? I've seen racers literaly dodging them at hallet. Is was flat azz scarey. This is death waiting to happen. There is a simple fix for parents. Bring the bikes but take time to be a parent. Take them out to the field away from all the maham and comotion and let them ride and SUPERVISE them. Cresson has twenty acres of field west of the track. It has a course already graded in as well, have fun. Look, I don't mean to piss parents of by this and I apologize if I do. But I'm fat, way out of shape, and when I come off the track sweaty and tired and not really paying attention. Just trying to make it to the pit to wrack the bike. It would kill me if I hit one of these little kids and hurt them badly. I would never be able to live that down.

Sa Da tay!

Bailey
10-01-2002, 10:24 AM
Pit bike and the age of maturity?

The reference Ty made was to my actions at the last Hallett race. Yes, I dumped the bike in order to avoid a collision with a young man riding out of the paddock -- not a racer going to the grid. I have no excuse; I was exceeding the speed limit. And yes, I did ream the rider out, again no excuse, my fault. In hind site I should have apologized for my reckless riding.

The point being, we are responsible for our actions. The speed limit inside the track grounds is 10 mph. All of us should be aware of this fact and ride accordingly.

The club has been fortunate so far with regards to accidents involving children and spectators riding through the pits. The CMRA can't legislate maturity. Having pit transportation - two wheels or four -- is a privilege, not a guaranteed right. Parents need to watch their children, races need to chill and all of us need to look out for each other.

Bailey
10-01-2002, 10:24 AM
Pit bike and the age of maturity?

The reference Ty made was to my actions at the last Hallett race. Yes, I dumped the bike in order to avoid a collision with a young man riding out of the paddock -- not a racer going to the grid. I have no excuse; I was exceeding the speed limit. And yes, I did ream the rider out, again no excuse, my fault. In hind site I should have apologized for my reckless riding.

The point being, we are responsible for our actions. The speed limit inside the track grounds is 10 mph. All of us should be aware of this fact and ride accordingly.

The club has been fortunate so far with regards to accidents involving children and spectators riding through the pits. The CMRA can't legislate maturity. Having pit transportation - two wheels or four -- is a privilege, not a guaranteed right. Parents need to watch their children, races need to chill and all of us need to look out for each other.

RisingR
10-01-2002, 01:44 PM
All this dicussion is great and it is good to see that everyone is trying to understand both sides of the argument. I would like to suggest that the CMRA hand out a flyer re-stating its policies on pit bikes. These flyers could be handed to everyone as they enter the grounds. Not everyone reads the message board and this would be a good way to inform everyone. I don't know that this would solve all the problems but it is a start. If everyone is informed then it is also easier to enforce the rules, as they cannot plead ignorance. Even some other policies like rider's meeting could be stated.
Rollin Rising

RisingR
10-01-2002, 01:44 PM
All this dicussion is great and it is good to see that everyone is trying to understand both sides of the argument. I would like to suggest that the CMRA hand out a flyer re-stating its policies on pit bikes. These flyers could be handed to everyone as they enter the grounds. Not everyone reads the message board and this would be a good way to inform everyone. I don't know that this would solve all the problems but it is a start. If everyone is informed then it is also easier to enforce the rules, as they cannot plead ignorance. Even some other policies like rider's meeting could be stated.
Rollin Rising

x1glider
10-01-2002, 03:31 PM
I'm all for the age limit and speed limit on bikes (maturity being too subjective) but how about a little courtesy as well? I can't recall the number of times this year where I could have splattered riders of all ages while backing the trailer out. It seems that all the riders on pit bikes whizzing around, flying by and squeezing in between and behind 4000+ pound moving vehicles with trailers with little or no visibility needs addressing as well. How do you think I'd feel if I backed over someone? Pretty bad. But I'd still give you a good reaming while you're lying on the ground bleeding and waiting for the ambulance for being stupid and not stopping and letting me complete my maneuvers. Your parent's taught you not to cross taffic without looking both ways and coming out from between parked cars. Why should those rules not be put to use in the pits as well. I do my best to see everything, but one day...
(Just jealous 'cuz I don't have my own pit bike)

x1glider
10-01-2002, 03:31 PM
I'm all for the age limit and speed limit on bikes (maturity being too subjective) but how about a little courtesy as well? I can't recall the number of times this year where I could have splattered riders of all ages while backing the trailer out. It seems that all the riders on pit bikes whizzing around, flying by and squeezing in between and behind 4000+ pound moving vehicles with trailers with little or no visibility needs addressing as well. How do you think I'd feel if I backed over someone? Pretty bad. But I'd still give you a good reaming while you're lying on the ground bleeding and waiting for the ambulance for being stupid and not stopping and letting me complete my maneuvers. Your parent's taught you not to cross taffic without looking both ways and coming out from between parked cars. Why should those rules not be put to use in the pits as well. I do my best to see everything, but one day...
(Just jealous 'cuz I don't have my own pit bike)

David Branyon
10-01-2002, 04:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by shane carter:
Ah what the heck, I'll throw my .02 out there as well. Parents know it's not safe to let munchkins on motorized tricycles run freely in a place where you have 400 pound rockets zooming back and fourth in the paddock area. </div></div>Shane,
My beef is why are there 400 pound rockets zooming around the paddock area where the speed limit is 10 mph? We can forget about the kids for the moment and talk about adults being run over. I don't look forward to that myself.

Maybe we can't expect racers late for the grid or coming back from their first win to show restraint. Or...

And since we can't assume restraint, then kids are banned even from the remote areas at the track? Doesn't really make sense to me.

David Branyon
10-01-2002, 04:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by shane carter:
Ah what the heck, I'll throw my .02 out there as well. Parents know it's not safe to let munchkins on motorized tricycles run freely in a place where you have 400 pound rockets zooming back and fourth in the paddock area. </div></div>Shane,
My beef is why are there 400 pound rockets zooming around the paddock area where the speed limit is 10 mph? We can forget about the kids for the moment and talk about adults being run over. I don't look forward to that myself.

Maybe we can't expect racers late for the grid or coming back from their first win to show restraint. Or...

And since we can't assume restraint, then kids are banned even from the remote areas at the track? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Brooks Gremmels
10-01-2002, 05:06 PM
David, the track-dictated age rules cover the entire premises, not only the pit areas.
The CMRA rules, which are generally more liberal than the track's, are designed with our young children's safety and liability concerns in mind. These concerns will not be compromised.
Norm had handouts printed 3 TWS races ago that spelled out the rules for children riding motorized vehicles. Those same handouts were sitting on the table at Claire's tent at the last race.
Brooks

Brooks Gremmels
10-01-2002, 05:06 PM
David, the track-dictated age rules cover the entire premises, not only the pit areas.
The CMRA rules, which are generally more liberal than the track's, are designed with our young children's safety and liability concerns in mind. These concerns will not be compromised.
Norm had handouts printed 3 TWS races ago that spelled out the rules for children riding motorized vehicles. Those same handouts were sitting on the table at Claire's tent at the last race.
Brooks

Brad Thomas
10-01-2002, 06:25 PM
If someone decides to sue because the rules were not being enforced guess what; NO MORE CMRA, NO MORE RACING! I believe most racers accept a certain amount of risk even in the paddock area.

Many have suggested penalizing the racers, WHAT! The CMRA is for RACERS!

It's not a playground for kids on foot, on bikes or on scooters. I've never seen Tyler or Dustin, riding pit bikes irresponsibly, but I've seen many, many other kids riding & running in front of racers who are obeying the rules. If the majority of Racers were not paying attention and not acting responsibly I would be willing to bet many kids would have been injuried. I have witnessed countless numbers of incidents in the paddock area involving children.

Just because we could teach children under the age of 16 to operate a car that doesn't mean they should be granted a license and allowed to drive on our freeways.

Kids are Welcome at CMRA events. I love seeing them there but I don't want to constantly be dodging them and wondering where his or her parents are.

Brad Thomas
10-01-2002, 06:25 PM
If someone decides to sue because the rules were not being enforced guess what; NO MORE CMRA, NO MORE RACING! I believe most racers accept a certain amount of risk even in the paddock area.

Many have suggested penalizing the racers, WHAT! The CMRA is for RACERS!

It's not a playground for kids on foot, on bikes or on scooters. I've never seen Tyler or Dustin, riding pit bikes irresponsibly, but I've seen many, many other kids riding & running in front of racers who are obeying the rules. If the majority of Racers were not paying attention and not acting responsibly I would be willing to bet many kids would have been injuried. I have witnessed countless numbers of incidents in the paddock area involving children.

Just because we could teach children under the age of 16 to operate a car that doesn't mean they should be granted a license and allowed to drive on our freeways.

Kids are Welcome at CMRA events. I love seeing them there but I don't want to constantly be dodging them and wondering where his or her parents are.

E. Templet
10-01-2002, 11:50 PM
Here's some ideas:

Pit bikes need racer/team numbers on them so they can be easily identified.

Get volunteer Pit Marshalls to monitor, the paddock area. Who cares how many "armbands" (to identify the Marshall) we issue. The more the safer. Racers could do this during the course of the day, so could team members.

Make the rules known to everyone, then simply enforce them, kindly, gently, and with compassion.
----------------------------------

I'm glad we have such groupwide support on this issue. If at all possible, I would like for the kids to have a specific riding area. They deserve to have a bit of fun. Then again, how do you stop a 16 year old on a Banshee from riding near a 6 year old on his 50cc bike? I guess it just gets too complicated.

E. Templet
10-01-2002, 11:50 PM
Here's some ideas:

Pit bikes need racer/team numbers on them so they can be easily identified.

Get volunteer Pit Marshalls to monitor, the paddock area. Who cares how many "armbands" (to identify the Marshall) we issue. The more the safer. Racers could do this during the course of the day, so could team members.

Make the rules known to everyone, then simply enforce them, kindly, gently, and with compassion.
----------------------------------

I'm glad we have such groupwide support on this issue. If at all possible, I would like for the kids to have a specific riding area. They deserve to have a bit of fun. Then again, how do you stop a 16 year old on a Banshee from riding near a 6 year old on his 50cc bike? I guess it just gets too complicated.