PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts

marcus mcbain
09-30-2002, 11:54 PM
Overview of the Axxion Suspension Tune-Up

I want to thank the dozens of riders/racers that have taken advantage of Axxion Suspension Tune-Up during the inaugural week. South Central Axxion Center (Traxxion Dynamics distributorship) will be providing the 20.00 “Suspension Tune-Up” through the end of the season. This is an incredible deal! Again, here is what this provides.

For 20.00 per day:

1)Setup Spring Preload (Forks and Shock)
2)Setup Compression and Rebound (Forks and Shocks)
3)Unlimited “in and out” changes per each day paid
4)Discuss changes with you

I want to stress the intent of this program…it is to make the rider aware of the tremendous improvement that can be experienced by properly adjusted suspension components. I have yet to talk to anyone that we worked on his or her bikes that a “dramatically improved” performance was NOT experienced.

Personal Observations:

I want to explain something that is as mysterious to riders as suspension adjustments themselves. Suspension adjustment is never “done”. Sorry, wish it was, but there is not a rider that walks this planet that will have “one setup” that does everything. If that were so, then teams would not have full time suspension technicians on their teams. This is what suspension is. Even at the same track on the same weekend, suspension needs change. Lap times, weather, riding style, and tire grip all are huge factors in performance and consequently cause need to change suspension adjustments.

Different “states of tune” also drive needs to make changes. Stock suspension will NEVER allow a motorcycle to work optimally. The components are sub-standard (relative to the race track), and cannot work properly. This may be perplexing for riders to consider, but suspension is what will make you fast. Performance work, High dollar rear sets are a waste of money when compared to suspension.

I want to talk about a very good case-in-point. Mark Delano is running a fairly bone-stock GSXR-600. He ran extremely fast and consistent lap times (52's and 53's) at TWS and his bike worked great. He is a first year novice and did great. (I personally think he could be a rider to watch). He did this with Optimized STOCK suspension. I know most every novice that finishes 5th place OR worse would love to have the performance of Mark. Mark beat many bikes THAT HAD aftermarket suspension AND motor work. Folks, I cannot emphasize the performance that you get from optimized suspension.

The South-Central region/CMRA has some excellent choices for suspension assistance. I am going to go ahead and name others who I consider the people that you can trust. Billy Wiese, Jim Cambora (sp?), Scott/GMD Computrack, and obviously Pete Martins/South Central Axxion center with a complete trackside suspension service center are the most reputable I know of. These are all quality tuners/organizations with superb skills. I for one have paid Billy Wiese to tune suspension on my bike. Jim is someone I have a great respect for, and GMD Computrack has a well documented history. I also want to stress that you should stick with one suspension tuner. Each suspension tuner has a process and technique that is unique in some ways, and “jumping” around the pits for help from “Joe Q. Racer” is in many ways very destructive. I want to cover something that occurred last CMRA weekend at TWS. A fairly quick expert racer got his bike setup at GMD Computrack, his bike performance improved, but the racer still felt the performance was “lacking”. He approached me, and asked my opinion for setup. Now, you would think with me working for Pete/Axxion I would have gladly helped him out. The problem is that I would really not be helping the racer. See, GMD has different setup numbers from Traxxion Dynamics. For me to put Traxxion Dynamics setup #'s on GMD geometry probably would have decreased performance for the rider. Instead, I told Scott (GMD) about the situation and I believe he addressed the issue. Again, suspension is a still not as simple as you think. I highly recommend that if you are looking to increase your performance on the track, addressing your suspension is the #1 item to approach. Be smart about it, pick someone who is credible, be serious about working with them, and give it all the effort that improving your riding on the track deserves.

FWIW: I believe the facilities that Pete Martins/South Central Axxion Center is THE choice for racers. As I finish up this upcoming Cresson weekend working with Pete (and become a RETAIL customer again /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ) and go back to racing (more fun), I hope that those of that haven't been serious about the suspension side of your bike…do so. It makes racing/track days much more fun.

marcus mcbain
09-30-2002, 11:54 PM
Overview of the Axxion Suspension Tune-Up

I want to thank the dozens of riders/racers that have taken advantage of Axxion Suspension Tune-Up during the inaugural week. South Central Axxion Center (Traxxion Dynamics distributorship) will be providing the 20.00 “Suspension Tune-Up” through the end of the season. This is an incredible deal! Again, here is what this provides.

For 20.00 per day:

1)Setup Spring Preload (Forks and Shock)
2)Setup Compression and Rebound (Forks and Shocks)
3)Unlimited “in and out” changes per each day paid
4)Discuss changes with you

I want to stress the intent of this program…it is to make the rider aware of the tremendous improvement that can be experienced by properly adjusted suspension components. I have yet to talk to anyone that we worked on his or her bikes that a “dramatically improved” performance was NOT experienced.

Personal Observations:

I want to explain something that is as mysterious to riders as suspension adjustments themselves. Suspension adjustment is never “done”. Sorry, wish it was, but there is not a rider that walks this planet that will have “one setup” that does everything. If that were so, then teams would not have full time suspension technicians on their teams. This is what suspension is. Even at the same track on the same weekend, suspension needs change. Lap times, weather, riding style, and tire grip all are huge factors in performance and consequently cause need to change suspension adjustments.

Different “states of tune” also drive needs to make changes. Stock suspension will NEVER allow a motorcycle to work optimally. The components are sub-standard (relative to the race track), and cannot work properly. This may be perplexing for riders to consider, but suspension is what will make you fast. Performance work, High dollar rear sets are a waste of money when compared to suspension.

I want to talk about a very good case-in-point. Mark Delano is running a fairly bone-stock GSXR-600. He ran extremely fast and consistent lap times (52's and 53's) at TWS and his bike worked great. He is a first year novice and did great. (I personally think he could be a rider to watch). He did this with Optimized STOCK suspension. I know most every novice that finishes 5th place OR worse would love to have the performance of Mark. Mark beat many bikes THAT HAD aftermarket suspension AND motor work. Folks, I cannot emphasize the performance that you get from optimized suspension.

The South-Central region/CMRA has some excellent choices for suspension assistance. I am going to go ahead and name others who I consider the people that you can trust. Billy Wiese, Jim Cambora (sp?), Scott/GMD Computrack, and obviously Pete Martins/South Central Axxion center with a complete trackside suspension service center are the most reputable I know of. These are all quality tuners/organizations with superb skills. I for one have paid Billy Wiese to tune suspension on my bike. Jim is someone I have a great respect for, and GMD Computrack has a well documented history. I also want to stress that you should stick with one suspension tuner. Each suspension tuner has a process and technique that is unique in some ways, and “jumping” around the pits for help from “Joe Q. Racer” is in many ways very destructive. I want to cover something that occurred last CMRA weekend at TWS. A fairly quick expert racer got his bike setup at GMD Computrack, his bike performance improved, but the racer still felt the performance was “lacking”. He approached me, and asked my opinion for setup. Now, you would think with me working for Pete/Axxion I would have gladly helped him out. The problem is that I would really not be helping the racer. See, GMD has different setup numbers from Traxxion Dynamics. For me to put Traxxion Dynamics setup #'s on GMD geometry probably would have decreased performance for the rider. Instead, I told Scott (GMD) about the situation and I believe he addressed the issue. Again, suspension is a still not as simple as you think. I highly recommend that if you are looking to increase your performance on the track, addressing your suspension is the #1 item to approach. Be smart about it, pick someone who is credible, be serious about working with them, and give it all the effort that improving your riding on the track deserves.

FWIW: I believe the facilities that Pete Martins/South Central Axxion Center is THE choice for racers. As I finish up this upcoming Cresson weekend working with Pete (and become a RETAIL customer again /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ) and go back to racing (more fun), I hope that those of that haven't been serious about the suspension side of your bike…do so. It makes racing/track days much more fun.

marcus mcbain
10-01-2002, 12:11 AM
What to tell suspension guys…

The #1 problem I have experienced while working with Pete is riders don't know what to tell me what is wrong. Well, here are some things that suspension guys want to know to better solve your problem(s).

There are generally two things that need to be fixed:

1)Bike does not track/hold a line (entrance, mid-turn, or exit)
2)Bike “Chatters” through a turn (entrance, mid-turn, or exit)

Enclosed are the items that you as a rider need to pay attention to so that you can give effective information to your tuner.

For bikes that “chatter”:
A)What turn does the chatter occur?
B)Does the chatter occur when off-throttle, during transition, or when on-throttle?
C)What pressure(s) did you set your tires with?

To remedy a bike that does not hold a line smoothly:
A)What turn does the problem occur?
B)Is the problem when you are on the brakes, during transition, or when on-throttle?

I know this sounds simple, but this is what Pete, Billy, Jim, or Scott will need to know.

Thanks,
Marcus McBain

marcus mcbain
10-01-2002, 12:11 AM
What to tell suspension guys…

The #1 problem I have experienced while working with Pete is riders don't know what to tell me what is wrong. Well, here are some things that suspension guys want to know to better solve your problem(s).

There are generally two things that need to be fixed:

1)Bike does not track/hold a line (entrance, mid-turn, or exit)
2)Bike “Chatters” through a turn (entrance, mid-turn, or exit)

Enclosed are the items that you as a rider need to pay attention to so that you can give effective information to your tuner.

For bikes that “chatter”:
A)What turn does the chatter occur?
B)Does the chatter occur when off-throttle, during transition, or when on-throttle?

To remedy a bike that does not hold a line smoothly:
A)What turn does the problem occur?
B)Is the problem when you are on the brakes, during transition, or when on-throttle?

I know this sounds simple, but this is what Pete, Billy, Jim, or Scott will need to know.

Thanks,
Marcus McBain

E. Templet
10-01-2002, 12:14 AM
I guess this means the next advice you give me won't cost 20 bucks! LOL /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Maybe I'll get to meet Pete next time.

E. Templet
10-01-2002, 12:14 AM
I guess this means the next advice you give me won't cost 20 bucks! LOL /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Maybe I'll get to meet Pete next time.

marcus mcbain
10-01-2002, 12:20 AM
Sorry Gene,

I prefer racing to working /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif , but hey I will be working at Cresson anyway.

Marcus

marcus mcbain
10-01-2002, 12:20 AM
Sorry Gene,

I prefer racing to working /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif , but hey I will be working at Cresson anyway.

Marcus

Troy Green
10-01-2002, 05:01 AM
M /&/ M,

Please help, my bike will not turn-in, then at the apex it falls over and alost runs off the inside of the track, then it runs wide either on or off the gas. And the whole time the bike is chattering, it chatters mostly at both wheels, but the front much worse while wheeling-on-the-brakes, and the rear chatters really bad while backing-it-in on the exit, off the gas powering out!!!!
But other than that the bike is on rails, or R_R cross ties, or in a swamp /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'm glad the season is almost over.... I will just change all the rubber bands that hold my frame together and then everything should be fine.

Troy
CMRA #5

Troy Green
10-01-2002, 05:01 AM
M /&/ M,

Please help, my bike will not turn-in, then at the apex it falls over and alost runs off the inside of the track, then it runs wide either on or off the gas. And the whole time the bike is chattering, it chatters mostly at both wheels, but the front much worse while wheeling-on-the-brakes, and the rear chatters really bad while backing-it-in on the exit, off the gas powering out!!!!
But other than that the bike is on rails, or R_R cross ties, or in a swamp /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'm glad the season is almost over.... I will just change all the rubber bands that hold my frame together and then everything should be fine.

Troy
CMRA #5

ysr612
10-01-2002, 06:16 AM
well Troy I can not help you with any of that but I hope when I am on the team bike is your time in the pit. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

ysr612
10-01-2002, 06:16 AM
well Troy I can not help you with any of that but I hope when I am on the team bike is your time in the pit. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Allan Stevens
10-01-2002, 08:12 AM
Our bike chatters and wants to create a line that doesnt exist. It appears that this phenomenon occures while the throttle is pinned WFO and the bike is being severly banged sideways while gobbleing up a pack of 4 to 5 other bikes and passing well into open track resulting in a lead change. This being followed by a friendly backwards gestering that ya just been smoked by a Jayhawker. I cant seem to find anything in the manual that shows how to tune this.

Allan Stevens
10-01-2002, 08:12 AM
Our bike chatters and wants to create a line that doesnt exist. It appears that this phenomenon occures while the throttle is pinned WFO and the bike is being severly banged sideways while gobbleing up a pack of 4 to 5 other bikes and passing well into open track resulting in a lead change. This being followed by a friendly backwards gestering that ya just been smoked by a Jayhawker. I cant seem to find anything in the manual that shows how to tune this.

marcus mcbain
10-01-2002, 08:58 AM
>>>Our bike chatters and wants to create a line that doesnt exist<<<

Quit riding at Hallet... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

marcus mcbain
10-01-2002, 08:58 AM
>>>Our bike chatters and wants to create a line that doesnt exist<<<

Quit riding at Hallet... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Allan Stevens
10-01-2002, 09:10 AM
Marcus: From here on we would prefer that you refer to Hallett in a former sense and accept the term "Dog Pound" on race day. Thanks!

Allan Stevens
10-01-2002, 09:10 AM
Marcus: From here on we would prefer that you refer to Hallett in a former sense and accept the term "Dog Pound" on race day. Thanks!

shane carter
10-01-2002, 02:21 PM
I took my mille over to them saturday night attws and they really helped it alot. I could feel the bike tracking better. To bad the rider SUCKED that weekend, or maybe i could have noticed more.

shane carter
10-01-2002, 02:21 PM
I took my mille over to them saturday night attws and they really helped it alot. I could feel the bike tracking better. To bad the rider SUCKED that weekend, or maybe i could have noticed more.