PDA

View Full Version : Honda Rumors

Stuart Fulton
10-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Say what you may but I have heard the following rumor.

Colin Edwards on a Castrol Honda V-5 in the MotoGP for 2003 on Bridgestone tires.

I guess only time will tell if this is true or not.

Stuart Fulton
10-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Say what you may but I have heard the following rumor.

Colin Edwards on a Castrol Honda V-5 in the MotoGP for 2003 on Bridgestone tires.

I guess only time will tell if this is true or not.

R Thomas
10-02-2002, 05:09 PM
I have read that it may be on a Castrol machine but the Bridgestone thing is bunk. He won't ride on anything but a Michelin. He may consider Dunlop but no rider in their class is willing to ride on anything but those two brands. Chili and Xaus were in talks with Aprilia and broke them off when Aprilia announced a deal with Pirelli. Michelin is king of the hill right now and Dunlop is the only thing close. Ducati Corse made a statement about Ben Bostrom's problems and pointed to the fact that he was the only Dunlop rider on their team.

R Thomas
10-02-2002, 05:09 PM
I have read that it may be on a Castrol machine but the Bridgestone thing is bunk. He won't ride on anything but a Michelin. He may consider Dunlop but no rider in their class is willing to ride on anything but those two brands. Chili and Xaus were in talks with Aprilia and broke them off when Aprilia announced a deal with Pirelli. Michelin is king of the hill right now and Dunlop is the only thing close. Ducati Corse made a statement about Ben Bostrom's problems and pointed to the fact that he was the only Dunlop rider on their team.

Stuart Fulton
10-02-2002, 05:40 PM
Well money talks and if that gets you a ride in the series that you want then... Like I said this is through quite a few grape leaves so I couldn't vouch for the validity but it was said that Bridgestone was the big money behind the deal so it probably wouldn't happen without them unless there is another big time sponsor.

It makes sense on Bridgestone's side. First you lease a couple of NSR's and have two riders only testing tires for a full year. The next year you get into the actual racing scene with a couple of teams. And then finally you get a top level rider to take your tires development to the top.

To me, I wouldn't be suprised if Colin was looking at World Superbike as being pretty boring next year. You just come off one of the most exciting years in your life (on top) and your main competition is going elsewhere and you just dominated everyone else by over 100 points countless podiums and 11 wins. The only thing I would see that would be interesting in World Superbikes next year for Colin is to go for a perfect season ala Ricky Carmichael.

On the Ben Bostrom deal, Ducati also said that motivation was also a key. For some if they are racing for at best third place then maybe they wouldn't try as hard (I think he said that was worth half a second). Neil Hodgson kept pushing on the Dunlops and it got him a ride on the factory team and there were instances where he was dicing with Troy and Colin.

Stuart Fulton
10-02-2002, 05:40 PM
Well money talks and if that gets you a ride in the series that you want then... Like I said this is through quite a few grape leaves so I couldn't vouch for the validity but it was said that Bridgestone was the big money behind the deal so it probably wouldn't happen without them unless there is another big time sponsor.

It makes sense on Bridgestone's side. First you lease a couple of NSR's and have two riders only testing tires for a full year. The next year you get into the actual racing scene with a couple of teams. And then finally you get a top level rider to take your tires development to the top.

To me, I wouldn't be suprised if Colin was looking at World Superbike as being pretty boring next year. You just come off one of the most exciting years in your life (on top) and your main competition is going elsewhere and you just dominated everyone else by over 100 points countless podiums and 11 wins. The only thing I would see that would be interesting in World Superbikes next year for Colin is to go for a perfect season ala Ricky Carmichael.

On the Ben Bostrom deal, Ducati also said that motivation was also a key. For some if they are racing for at best third place then maybe they wouldn't try as hard (I think he said that was worth half a second). Neil Hodgson kept pushing on the Dunlops and it got him a ride on the factory team and there were instances where he was dicing with Troy and Colin.

David Hirsch
10-02-2002, 06:15 PM
Wait a minute while I get up off of the floor. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif But remember money talks and the rest of us just walk.

David Hirsch
10-02-2002, 06:15 PM
Wait a minute while I get up off of the floor. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif But remember money talks and the rest of us just walk.

Keith Hertell
10-02-2002, 06:28 PM
That's funny huh David.

We both know he's gonna be on the Maxxis" next year.

End of story!!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Keith Hertell
10-02-2002, 06:28 PM
That's funny huh David.

We both know he's gonna be on the Maxxis" next year.

End of story!!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

ysr612
10-02-2002, 08:24 PM
is that the skin shin Maxxis or the baracuda.

ysr612
10-02-2002, 08:24 PM
is that the skin shin Maxxis or the baracuda.

Steve McNamara
10-02-2002, 08:39 PM
Bridgestone,
Hmmm....
Most successful Formula One tire supplier, Japanese mega manufacturer, wants to break into World Motorcycle racing, why not. They have the big bucks.

Steve McNamara
10-02-2002, 08:39 PM
Bridgestone,
Hmmm....
Most successful Formula One tire supplier, Japanese mega manufacturer, wants to break into World Motorcycle racing, why not. They have the big bucks.

SMILEYMAN
10-03-2002, 08:19 AM
The rumors i heard was that Colin was looking into a RC211V ride with Pramac Honda and being teammate to Max Biaggi, no doubt on Michelins. Check the Roadracing world website and they will know as quick as anyone...

SMILEYMAN
10-03-2002, 08:19 AM
The rumors i heard was that Colin was looking into a RC211V ride with Pramac Honda and being teammate to Max Biaggi, no doubt on Michelins. Check the Roadracing world website and they will know as quick as anyone...

Stuart Fulton
10-07-2002, 10:05 AM
Getting closer...

http://www.amasuperbike.com/2002-Oct/021007a.htm

Stuart Fulton
10-07-2002, 10:05 AM
Getting closer...

http://www.amasuperbike.com/2002-Oct/021007a.htm

R Thomas
10-07-2002, 03:32 PM
I saw the report on www.amasuperbike (http://www.amasuperbike) this morning. It's hard to believe that he is going to switch. The 125cc riders have been running them this year with success. I guess Bridgestone are going to go for it next year.

R Thomas
10-07-2002, 03:32 PM
I saw the report on www.amasuperbike (http://www.amasuperbike) this morning. It's hard to believe that he is going to switch. The 125cc riders have been running them this year with success. I guess Bridgestone are going to go for it next year.

E. Templet
10-07-2002, 07:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Steve McNamara:
Bridgestone,
Hmmm....
Most successful Formula One tire supplier, Japanese mega manufacturer, wants to break into World Motorcycle racing, why not. They have the big bucks.</div></div>A few years back I read an article about Bridgstone's commanding market share of new motorcycle tire market. The article also stated that if Bridgestone wanted to build a racing motorcycle tire, they certainly had the technology to build an excellent one. I'm curious as to why they got into the market. Either their market share is slipping or they see a significant opportunity in this niche' of motorcycle industry. I must have numbers!

I wonder if the Dunlops are having problems with the higher HP bikes and higher speed tracks. Just a thought.

Way to go Colin!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

E. Templet
10-07-2002, 07:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Steve McNamara:
Bridgestone,
Hmmm....
Most successful Formula One tire supplier, Japanese mega manufacturer, wants to break into World Motorcycle racing, why not. They have the big bucks.</div></div>A few years back I read an article about Bridgstone's commanding market share of new motorcycle tire market. The article also stated that if Bridgestone wanted to build a racing motorcycle tire, they certainly had the technology to build an excellent one. I'm curious as to why they got into the market. Either their market share is slipping or they see a significant opportunity in this niche' of motorcycle industry. I must have numbers!

I wonder if the Dunlops are having problems with the higher HP bikes and higher speed tracks. Just a thought.

Way to go Colin!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif