PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Pix! Hey, Let's Trip Down Memory Lane!

Linz Leard
10-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I have been saying I've been wanting to post vintage pix for a long time. I scanned a few recently and have been posting them on another board. It's time to start putting a few here. I have a lot of pix, and many of them suck, but that's not really the point - the point is to get old timers out of their rocking chair and come to the computer.

Here's a couple for starters:

This photo is a little bit of a mystery to me in that I donít know for sure who this is. I took this in September of 1989 at Hallett. I thought for a long time that the rider is Danny Dominguez or maybe Darnell Dorsey, but I donít know. I used to be reasonably sure that this is a Double D Express guy, but Iím not sure of anything these days, and Iíve been taking heat for years for not bringing this picture (among others) to the track and having Danny, Darnell, Dewayne Davis, Robert Blevins, Chuckster Ergle, Eric Falt, Sam McDonald or someone else as old (or older) than I am to identify this guy. Help me!

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/667837630_e4sMN-X2.jpg

This picture was taken at Memphis Motorsports Park in 1990. I forget exactly when I was there, but I think it was late May or early June. Iím standing on the grandstands and looking NE towards the part of the track they call the "M"s. MMP was a fun track, and I crashed here in T1 at about 130 mph this day fighting for the lead in, I think, A Production Novice. A few scuffs and a broken clutch lever and that was it. Good to go for the next race. The CRRC was part of WERA in these days, so at pretty much every event you could find CRRC guys. Joe Prussiano likes to tell a story about me that happened in Memphis during this trip. He thinks itís funny, the bastid! If you see him, ask him about it. Or not.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/667837620_j5mAf-X2.jpg

Dewayne Davis
10-02-2009, 01:32 PM
You need an answer?? I got one that is Danny Ray he was a local Tulsa guy he lives in Austin now I think...... and bring me my pics /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Chuck Ergle
10-02-2009, 11:35 PM
I get Daniel F. Ray from my back issues of The Inside Line. He DNF'd C Superbike, DNS'd B Superbike.

That was the final race of 1989. Eric Falt won the Clubman race and got 2nd in D Super behind Michael Martin. Some guy named Joseph B. Prussiano II won A Production overall (first Novice) and C Production Novice (2nd overall behind Philip Fisher, who won C Super, C Production, and B Production). Dewayne Davis won A Super, B Super, and Formula 1. David Hirsch won Vintage 3 & 4. Rob Bradlaw won Vintage 5.

Some jerk named Lindsey Leard got 6th in A Production Novice, and 5th in B Production Novice.

Jay Deaton won 50 Super, and Barbie Spears won 50 Production.

Superstock was an Expert only class.

On a sad note, John Chance was killed in during the big bike endurance race when he fell in turn four and died of head injuries after being airlifted to the hospital; he was from Lafayette LA.

There were about 300 entries in about 20 sprint races, and there were 34 big bike teams.

John Ulrich worked at American Roadracing Magazine.

Team BMH (Ken Harvey, Andre Vandenberg, Rob Bradlaw) won the overall endurance championship for the year on an FZR600, with Lone Star Racing (Pete Martins, George Smidt, Craig Gleason) 2nd on a GSXR 750, and Hipstak Racing (George & Guy Hipsher, Glenn Szostak) 3rd on another Gixxer. The mini endurance series was won by West Side Racing (Jay Deaton & Paul Gaudin) on a production YSR50.

Class champions who are still racing now were Philip Fisher, Dewayne Davis, Eric Falt, Rob Bradlaw.

It was my first full novice year and I got 3rd in Super 50 Novice, and Barbie Spears and I got 3rd for the year in Super 50 Endurance (and 6th overall out of 29 teams, as Team Squid).

Christopher Corder
10-02-2009, 11:59 PM
OMG, it has been about 100 years since I have seen Andre Vandenberg. Anybody know what he is up to?

Danny Clark
10-03-2009, 01:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OMG, it has been about 100 years since I have seen Andre Vandenberg. Anybody know what he is up to? </div></div>

Saw him at Laroys funeral. Most recently I saw him on an episode of MavTv's Motorsports Ranch racing a spec Miata. I can't imagine how he fits in that little car though! lol

Linz Leard
10-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Danny Ray! That's it! I knew he was an Okie, too. Thanks fellas!

I'm having so much I'm gonna keep going with this little project.

Here he is, Mr. Dewayne Davis getting a little slideways out of T7 at Oak Hill sometime in 1989. The exit of T7 was bumpy 20 years ago, and it's bumpy now. Dewayne was fast and flashy back in the day. I wanted to be him.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/667915143_dEAnq-X2.jpg

This is my 1986 Yamaha FZ750 heading into T7 at Oak Hill. The three-year old Yamaha was already outdated when I went racing with it in 1989. Pity. This bike was three different colors in 1989 -- the first colors were factory red/white/blue. I ran off on the outside of T4 early in the season, and even though the bike only had a few scratches on it, I decided to repaint it. I painted it pure black. (My brother was a painter, so I could change colors at will.) I also painted the wheels a kind of seafoam green that became known around the paddock as ďThat ColorĒ because it had no name and was a quite a bit different at the time. Later in the season, after a couple crashes at Oak Hill and Talladega, I painted the entire bike That Color. I'm guessing this was August or September 1989.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/666838568_ZJDX3-X2.jpg

Heading into T7 again, following Glenn Szostak. Glenn was riding a 1987 Suzuki GSXR750. I didnít really know Glenn at the time, but later, at the end of 1990, I would sell the GSXR I was racing at that time to Glenn, and we would become good friends and future endurance teammates. Due to a broken leg and missing an event, I missed out on some championships on my GSXR, but Glenn put in a solid 1991 season to win a novice championship on my old ride.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/666838567_seSo7-X2.jpg

Note that my bike is black here, so this was probably June, July or maybe August 1989 at Oak Hill. I'm guessing this is either a B production class or a B superbike class because there were lots of 600s are in the mix here. This is the middle part of the grid. There is an expert wave in front of us. Jim Diester (652) is at the tail end of that wave. Looking at the relaxed body positions in this picture makes me believe we are quite early to the grid after the warm-up lap. I used to know all these guys by number, but I got old, so forgive me. 117 is John Pollard. Many know the story of John Pollard. I hardly knew John at this time, but would be good friends with him by the end of the season; he only lived about 5 miles from me back in Houston at the time. He was a very fast novice, but fell down more than he should have. John would crash my 1990 GSXR in T3 in a Sunday morning a practice session at OHR on May 6, 1990, and get paralyzed. I still remember him walking to my bike and climbing on it. I didnít know that they would be the last steps he ever took. 401 is Marco Fuller (Marco had the hottest GF on the planet!), 402 is Jeb Bridgeman, 428 is Tracy LeBlanc (I think), ?44 is a guy named Von (Hersy? Is that right?). Von was the first black roadracer I ever met, and the only black rider at the track at the time. He was a heck of a nice guy. Kurt Hocker was a regular on the grid at the time, but I donít see him here. Maybe Iím blind.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/666838548_9Ji2k-X2.jpg

Here Iím in front of a pack of other guys into turn 7, AKA the ďschool house turnĒ, at Oak Hill in 1989. Here's why it's sometimes called "school house turn" for those that don't know. Back in the day the turn had a little shack sitting almost right up on it. This is where classroom was held for new riderís school. A tire wall lines the front of the building in the event someone would run off the track, and on more than one occasion I was in the building when people ran off and bumped into the tires -- hard. Once someone slid into the building. Thud! Scorers would sometimes sit in the building and score from the window, usually for endurance races. The building was moved a little further off the turn in the early 1990s, and survived until the middle to late 1990s, when it was eventually torn down to allow more run-off room. Behind me in this picture can be seen Marco Fuller, George Hipsher (311) and Glenn Szostak. Not sure about the other guys and man, I sure wish I could remember who 255 was.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/667072289_m6Fyf-X2.jpg

This picture was taken at TWS in 1989 in T7. The rider I have long forgotten (although I'm sure Chuck is gonna help us here), but the bike is a timeless beauty that I lusted after back in the day much as I do know. Itís a Ducati F1. They werenít super fast, but man, they were pure Italian [censored].

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/667072230_SntVN-X2.jpg

This is a view into the Oak Hill pits. It's sometime in 1989. Iím the guy in the black and orange Dianese leathers (what a color combo, eh?). Iím talking to Mike Stevenson. The 652 Hurricane belongs to Jim Diester. The 391 bike was, I think, Chris Seglerís. The 696 ATC pit bike belonged to Mike Steinman. In the background is bike 401, which is Marco Fuller. I believe his hot girlfriend is sitting on the red cooler in his pits. Besides being very hot, she was known for wearing a very skimpy bikini everywhere she went in the pits. Nothing, and I mean nothing, was left to the imagination. She was also known for being a very nice person. The 357 bike is Andre Vandenberg. Iím not 100% sure what bike this is. I know that he crashed it sometime in early 1989, and replaced it with a Ducati 750 Paso. Andre crashed the Paso very hard in T1 at Oak Hill sometime in 1989, and ended up in the tire wall (which was much closer to the track in those days). Among other injuries, he a badly broken leg. I believe Care Flight showed up to transport Andre, and landed right on T1 to load him up. That was, I think, the first time I saw Care Flight land at Oak Hill. (Unfortunately, Iíve seen it many times since.) OBTW, the pits here are too empty to be Sunday race day. This had to be Saturday open practice, probably mid to late morning, judging by the emptiness of the pits and the direction of the shadow.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/667675121_aECEb-X2.jpg

This is Jerry Burgess in T6 at Oak Hill sometime in 1989. Jerryís family owned Burgess Honda, which was located just outside of Lufkin, and on the way to Oak Hill. Jerry was pretty fast expert at the time, and although I didnít know him, I admired his riding style. He was very smooth and fluid, and his tendency to keep his body upright looked a little like Mick Doohan (who I had just seen ride for the first time that year). Itís interesting to note that Jerry is riding a Yamaha FZR600. I have no idea how that happened since Burgess Honda was, well, a Honda dealer. (Note: Jerryís leathers, which say ďHondaĒ on the leg.) Jerry quit racing after 1989 (I think). A few years later, in the early 1990s, I was on my way to Oak Hill and noticed that Burgess Honda had closed. Last year I heard that Jerryís father had passed away.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/667675104_rHJGy-X2.jpg

I took this picture at TWS in 1989. The corner is T7 and the bike is a Kawasaki KR250 2-stroke GP bike. It was being ridden, I think, by Rene Martinez of Mexico. The Martinez family came up from Mexico to race with the CRRC several times a year in those days. They always had cool bikes and did things first class because, well, they had lots of money. The family was somehow involved in ownership of the Cuauhtťmoc Moctezuma Brewery in Monterrey, Mexico. Carta Blanca, Sol, Tecate, Dos Equis, Bohemia and Indio beers are brewed in that location. Off and on in the 1980s and into the early 1990s, the Martinez family hosted a race (sometimes two) at a track down in Monterrey, Mexico. The track was mostly forgettable, but the after party was pure debauchery. That family knew how to spend money. Free beer for everyone meant a serious good time.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/667072285_o7poD-X2.jpg

This is Mike ďWild ManĒ Steinman in 1989 in T6 at Oak Hill. Steinman was character, and earned his nickname not just from his riding style, but also from his physical looks. In 1988 and into 1989, he raced a Honda Nighthawk 700 S shown here. He regularly beat GSXRs, FZRs, and CBRs, and could often be found hanging around the front of the pack. Sometime in 1989 he crashed and destroyed the Nighthawk. He replaced it with a GSXR and made his way back to the front of the field. Mike had the phrase ďI Eat Pu$$y!Ē on the back of his bikeís tail section in big, bold letters. One day he and I were in pre-grid talking before the hot lap and a woman came up and tapped him on the helmet. She said, ďIím offended by what you have written on the back of your bike! Thatís not right!Ē Mike looked her up and down and, with a straight face, said, ďDamn shame. If youíre offended, I suggest you turn your head, lady.Ē Man, I just busted out laughing. Mike raced off and on for the next few years, co-riding, I think, to a couple big bike endurance championships in the middle to late 1990s.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/667675164_WXQHE-X2.jpg

I need some help with this one. I didnít take this picture; it was given to me by a friend way back in the day so I really don't know for sure. The track is Oak Hill, and the turn is T5. This was alleged to have been Charles Brothers, and I believe I remember asking him one time to confirm, and I think he did. The picture was probably taken between 1982 and 1986. Charles Brothers was hardcore back in the day, he was before my time as a regular racer, although, even after he retired, once in a while he would dust off his leathers for a guest ride in an endurance race.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/667675140_9HJqm-X2.jpg

Christopher Corder
10-03-2009, 11:40 AM
man, those leathers make me think everybody was colorblind back then.

Andrew Sukach
10-03-2009, 11:53 AM
These are great, Linz!

I remember that #696 Nighthawk S! If I recall correctly, the owner loaned it to another guy who was prov-noving at the same time as me (his bike had, I think, broken down), and I ended up chasing him for most of the race. That would've been the Summer of '88.

I even had a photo of both of us heading for the finish line, me well behind because I'd run off a little in T7, but lost it a long time ago along with my Doug Polen-autographed WERA rulebook. The only pciture I have left is the one I posted in some other "old-timer" thread here of me and my GS550ES.

I also just the other day noticed an event flyer from way back then stuck inside the lid of my toolbox in the garage. I'll see if I can find a scanner and post it in here.

I was also trying to remember the schoolhouse last weekend. I knew we had gone down there for the classroom part of the school, but for some reason that barn that's there right now wasn't "clicking" right with my memory. Now I know why.

I sure wish I'd had the drive to stick with racing at the time, but I guess I just got distracted by all the dumb things kids get distracted by at that age.

-A

Dewayne Davis
10-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Linz,

Those are awesome for sure I loved the school house turn back then I dont think anyone could get though that section any faster than I was at the time.......

Danny Clark
10-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Wow... Dewayne really is older than dirt! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

Danny Clark
10-03-2009, 12:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man, those leathers make me think everybody was colorblind back then. </div></div>

Hey it was the 80's! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Danny Clark
10-03-2009, 12:29 PM
That bike that Andre Vandenberg (357) rode was a Moto Guzzi... don't know which model though.

Dewayne Davis
10-03-2009, 01:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danny Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man, those leathers make me think everybody was colorblind back then. </div></div>

Hey it was the 80's! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Hot pink was in

marcus mcbain
10-04-2009, 06:15 PM
696 was Mike Stienman on the shaft drive 700 nighthawk!

Linz Leard
10-05-2009, 10:55 AM
More -

This picture was taken at TWS some time in 1989. I cannot remember who this guy is (someone is bound to recognize his leathers), but this is an interesting shot in that it shows the corner after the carousal at TWS and the exit onto NASCAR's T3 banking. As you can see, it wasn't what you'd consider safe, especially by today's standards. A junk pile on the inside of the corner, grass in the seams of the track, tire wall and hay bales lining the concrete wall. Terry Exum crashed here in 1988 and was killed.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/670952520_Xg8LT-X2.jpg

This was taken Saturday, October 31, 1987. Here I am taking rider's school on a borrowed Honda FT500 Ascot (that's me behind the 513 bike). Most of these guys were on borrowed-from-friends race bikes. I wish I remembered my rider's school classmates. Oh yeah, I'm stylin' in my AXO motocross boots.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/670952522_jnJas-X2.jpg

This picture was taken May of 1989 at Talladega Gran Prix Raceway. I was gridded at the back of the field. I was having some fun until a serious deluge came in and washed the rubber from the track. I forget who 482 was, but he was a CRRC regular back in the day. He was a little bit older gentleman, and a super nice guy.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/670952521_FTGmc-X2.jpg

marcus mcbain
10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Linz,

TWS was shut down in 1989. 1988 was the last year (motorcycle) races ran until 1991.

I think the pic was from 1988.

Linz Leard
10-05-2009, 11:48 AM
You're right, Marcus. I discovered that error myself, too, just a little while ago while I was doing some cutting and pasting.

Dewayne Davis
10-05-2009, 12:56 PM
That pic at TWS is that Cam Roos?????

Linz Leard
10-05-2009, 01:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dewayne Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That pic at TWS is that Cam Roos????? </div></div>

No, but I have one of him on his FZR400 taken in T7 at TWS in 1988. I actually got in contact with him last year - 20 years after the fact - and sent him a copy of the picture. He loved it. I'll find that picture and post it up.

Danny Dominguez
10-05-2009, 01:44 PM
For being only 29yrs old,why am I nearly always listed in this vintage stuff???????????? Oh if you happen to have any old gpz550 #268 photos from that era he is errrrrrr uhhh someone I know.

Linz Leard
10-05-2009, 02:15 PM
EDIT: In an earlier picture I mentioned "Jerry Burgess". It's not Jerry Burgess, it's Ray Burgess. Senior moment. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

More pix:

Oak Hill, early October, 1989. I rented the track with a buddy. This was right before the WERA GNFs, so we expected the track to be full. It wasnít. One other guy showed up, so it was the three of us all day long. Towards the end of the day we rode the track backwards -- at speed. Freaky. Then after that my friend and I took our cars out. I was driving the stocker 1989 Mustang 5.0 notchback in the picture. He had some puny little Honda Civic wagon. I circulated with laps into the low 1:50s (until brake fade made me aware of the possible consequences). By the way, if Daryl is reading this, none of this ever happened. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/671146473_JFqQR-X2.jpg

September 1989, Hallett. This is T2 and Dewayne Davis is showing us how he does it. A WERA sticker is prominently displayed on the gas tank, probably covering a dent.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/671146481_ayihx-X2.jpg

This picture was taken in, I think, early June 1990, at Wheels Raceway. This Johnny Hotchkiss, CMRA racer and, at this time, our race director. In the background you can see the late, great Laroy Montgomery, #81, on one of his thumpers. He had lots of singles over the years, and was fast on all of them.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/671146490_t2Rgo-X2.jpg

Linz Leard
10-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Here's Cam Roos. According to my scribble on the back of this picture, it was taken on September 25, 1988 at TWS. This is T7, and Cam is on his Yamaha FZR400. I believe he smoked them handily that day. In 1989, I believe, Cam was paralyzed in race accident. I seem to remember that it was the Miami street race that was still run at the time (similar to Austin Aquafest), but I could be wrong about about when and where.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/671180830_vYqan-X3.jpg

marcus mcbain
10-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Cam Roos was seriously injured I want to say at Steamboat Springs. Although he was seriously injured, he did partially recover (can't tell you to what extent), but I also believed that he continued to work at Marietta Motorsports after the accident/recovery.

Marcus

Linz Leard
10-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I last talked to Cam in November of 2008. He was the parts manager at Moto-400 in Dawsonville, Georgia. He gave a lot of praise to racing in Texas from this by-gone era. He also remembers when TWS was a real worn-out brute of a track. I only raced one year on the old, beat-up 3.0 mile course, but I can surely relate to his sentiments below.

Here is text from an email he sent me after I sent the above picture him. It's pretty cool that he still thinks Texas was a heck of a place to race.

Linz,

I really appreciate the picture. I remember turn 7 being very fast, as it was banked. I've showed alot of people at work this picture. It's hard for me to convey to outsiders how different and "laid back" racing is in Texas. The first time Sam Yama****a asked me to race in Texas was Sept 1986. It was at TWS on a Yamaha TZR250. I could'nt believe the condition of the track, there were weeds and small trees growing thru the cracks in the pavement. The banking had potholes that would swallow your whole wheel. I remember a racer raising his hand at the riders meeting and asking about the lack of haybales in (I believe) turn 9 which was lined with an Armco barrier. The promoter said "We have no hay bales and to "not crash" in that turn, Next question". I could not believe he said what he said, like you could control where and when you crashed. I could not hold a straight line on the banking due to having to dodge all the potholes. I was protested after the race due to the fact that the TZR was missing the taillight. After about 30 minutes I finally convinced the CRRC that I started the race with a taillight and it was somewhere at the bottom of the banking. Running the banking made it feel like I was back on a dirt bike. TWS seemed strange to me because it was so different from the other places that I raced at, up to that time. But I will tell you, racing in Texas, TWS or Oak Hill, was a great experience. The Texas racers were fast, really appreciated racing and always had a good time. Of all the places I raced, Pro or Club level, my best memories are from the Texas tracks. Whenever I has the chance, I went racing in Texas.
Thanks a ton,
Cam

Linz Leard
10-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Yes, there's more!

This picture is from TWS sometime in 1988. This is a shot of the famous Lurch powering through T3 with Austinís Vernon Davis aboard. Note that Lurch is painted a seafoam green color here. The first time I saw Lurch was in 1987, and the bike was black. If you never saw Lurch race, you missed out. The engine started life as a Yamaha XV920 engine, and grew from there into a monster of a V-Twin, eventually making its way into a custom frame. It made the most godawful boom you ever heard as it thundered around the banking at TWS and down the front straight. Inline GSXRs would sprint away out of the corners, but Lurch would usually gain speed slowly and then thunder by them on the front straight. And visually Lurch was like no other bike, what with its massive handmade aluminum spar frame and other race-only tidbits. Lurch was a stunning race bike to look at and to watch -- all business. Many people believe that it got its name from the way it looked, but it didnít. The name ďLurchĒ was given to the bike by the riders because of the way the bike would lurch from a standing start off the grid. (Besides, the bike looked more like a Frankenstein than a Lurch.) Lots of top CRRC riders spent some time on (early) Lurch in addition to the crazy Vernon Davis, including Charles Brothers and Kevin Schwantz. (Note the metal fence pole and barrel in this shot Ė pretty much where run-off is desired on the outside between T3 and T4.)

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/672121369_L3iP7-X2.jpg

Hereís Andre Vandenberg at TWS sometime in 1988 on his Ducati 750 Paso. This is the short chute between T3 and T4 and approaching wheelie hill. Andre is being trailed by the 210 Ducati F1 shown in an earlier picture. Note the makeshift wooden stake and rope fence with a sign on it that states ďNo Spectators Beyond This PointĒ. In those days, you pretty much could go anywhere you wanted to in the infield, and man, that was cool.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/672121366_8GgnU-X2.jpg

Dewayne Davis
10-06-2009, 11:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANNY DOMINGUEZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For being only 29yrs old,why am I nearly always listed in this vintage stuff???????????? Oh if you happen to have any old gpz550 #268 photos from that era he is errrrrrr uhhh someone I know. </div></div>

If ur only 29 how old does that make me like 24 ?????????????? Cause Im not feeling 24.......... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Linz Leard
10-06-2009, 01:26 PM
More...

This one is from the Austin Aquafest in 1988. I think the month was August, and it was a billion degrees. This was, I think, the last year the Aquafest motorcycle races were held, and the first year they were moved from the street to the fairgrounds parking lot. Few liked the parking lot thing as the course was tight and narrow. The pits were on black top and brutally hot. My little Honda Interceptor did not get on too well with elevated temperatures, and parted ways with its coolant all day. (And, no, I wasn't expecting company...)

Making the trip from California specifically for the purpose of racing the street course was Cycle World's feature editor, David Edwards. David took cues from Kevin Schwantz's success on the sreet course in years prior and brought a motarded out Yamaha YZ490 with him. The bike was mostly stock, but did feature slightly lowered suspention and 19" dirt track tires and wheels. I pitted not far from Edwards and talked to him about his trip to Texas and his purpose. He told me he had planned on writing a magazine article on the infamous race, but was surprised to learn that the street course was moved to the parking lot. (Join the club, David.) He was not happy. I remember that he did very well in his races, and I also remember that he never wrote the article.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/672283675_cXvan-X2.jpg

I took this picture in, I think, 1988, but it could have been 1989, I guess. Oak Hill, T7. This Ninja 750 street bike went home with some scratches it didn't have when the day started. In those days, if you ran just a little off the track, you were in danger of punching a hole in the school house.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/672290141_XqgSB-X2.jpg

From Hallett, September 1989. Another rider that I can't remember, but he should be able to be identified easily. GSXR, #98. Wheelie hill. Cool.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/672280399_6EDjg-X2.jpg

Linz Leard
10-07-2009, 08:30 AM
This was picture was taken at Oak Hill in early 1989. I can't remember who 505 is by name, but I remember he was a nice guy. I don't recall who the flagman is, and the scorers aren't ringing a bell with me, either. I believe the guy in suspenders with his back to us is the the late, great A.C. Humble. This picture shows the old scorer's stand, which is long gone.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/673160261_CXE6D-X2.jpg

This is from the same Oak Hill race as above, I believe. My bike's color and the color of the leaves and grass at the track indicate this is pretty early in 1989. I'm trailing two bikes through T1 here. Note how close the tire wall was to the track in those days. Also note the jam-packed pits.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/673160263_iWkeC-X2.jpg

David Hirsch
10-08-2009, 12:35 AM
When you are looking through the photos let me know if you come across any with #83. I don't have many photos from back in the day.
Thanks,

Linz Leard
10-08-2009, 08:48 AM
^^^

I'll see what I have, Dave.

More -

I believe this is Robert Blevins. The picture was taken sometime in 1989, and the track is OHR. T7, of course.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/674160582_zMygc-X2.jpg

This picture was taken sometime in 1991 near pit out at Oak Hill. The dork in the white leathers is yours truly. The bike is a borrowed 1989 Suzuki GSXR750. It has my number on it. The bike belonged to the guy who is sitting on it, Andy Chaudoir. The chick is a girl named Sherrl, who was Glenn Szostak's girlfriend at the time. Sherrl could be found hanging around the track in all sorts of skimpy tops and tight shorts back in the day. (She could also be found chasing my parent's chickens around, but that's another story.) It appears as though Sherrl has a name tag of some kind - she's some kind of CRRC worker or something - but I can't remember exactly why she's wearing it.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/674166917_WcWYv-O.jpg

Linz Leard
10-08-2009, 02:17 PM
More -

I didn't take this picture, it was given to me years ago by someone. I believe the picture to be taken in the 1982 - 1986 time frame, but could be wrong. I'm not sure of the rider, either, but the track is Oak Hill, T1. Back in the day there was an older gentleman by the name of James Gardner that raced, I believe, a Honda 305 Dream or maybe it was a Honda 305 Superhawk, I canít recall which. Perhaps this is Gardner navigating T1 on his vintage Honda? I donít know for sure. In any event, back in the day Gardner was an elder statesman at the track, and a very nice guy. The man would randomly show up on race day and enter a vintage class. It was a hoot to see him at (relative) speed. I could be wrong, but Gardner was in his late 60s or maybe even early 70s the last time I saw him at the track, which was more than a decade ago now. Someone told me a few years back that Gardner was still alive and kicking. I hope he still is.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/674196575_Q4nJB-O.jpg

Same story as the picture above: I didnít take this picture, and I donít really know who this is. The track is Oak Hill, the turn is T1, and time frame is 1982 Ė 1986 (I think). Back in my earliest days there were several guys that rode vintage iron and contested the CRRC/WERA vintage classes. One of the most badass racers of the group was R.N. Root. Root raced Triumphs in several vintage classes and usually cleaned house. He is a CRRC legend. Iím pretty sure this isnít Root as this is a novice with a three-digit number; Root was an expert with a two-digit number when I watched him race. But hey, this picture was a few years before my time, so what do I know?

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/674196582_5EM7L-O.jpg

I took this picture at TWS sometime in 1988. This is between T3 and T4. I canít remember the rider, but the bike was a super-cool Ducati single, possibly a 175 Sport. The bike wasnít fast, but it was damn special to hear and see circulate the track. These days, vintage bikes are almost exclusively seen at AHRMA events and no where else, but back in the day youíd see them at local races a lot, too.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/674196578_b7d7c-O.jpg

Jesse Davis
10-08-2009, 02:25 PM
holy picture resizing batman!

Linz, the picture you posted of the Lurch mobile is being ridden by Britt Turkington. and the color is tropical turquoise. im pretty sure only 3 or 4 people ever rode Lurch. My Dad, Kevin, And Brit. Maybe Mark Gerow. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Jesse Davis
10-08-2009, 02:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More -

I didn't take this picture, it was given to me years ago by someone. I believe the picture to be taken in the 1982 - 1986 time frame, but could be wrong. I'm not sure of the rider, either, but the track is Oak Hill, T1. Back in the day there was an older gentleman by the name of James Gardner that raced, I believe, a Honda 305 Dream or maybe it was a Honda 305 Superhawk, I canít recall which. Perhaps this is Gardner navigating T1 on his vintage Honda? I donít know for sure. In any event, back in the day Gardner was an elder statesman at the track, and a very nice guy. The man would randomly show up on race day and enter a vintage class. It was a hoot to see him at (relative) speed. I could be wrong, but Gardner was in his late 60s or maybe even early 70s the last time I saw him at the track, which was more than a decade ago now. Someone told me a few years back that Gardner was still alive and kicking. I hope he still is.
</div></div>

Old Man James is still doing great, and still riding here in austin.

Ted Phillips
10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I last talked to Cam in November of 2008. He was the parts manager at Moto-400 in Dawsonville, Georgia. He gave a lot of praise to racing in Texas from this by-gone era. He also remembers when TWS was a real worn-out brute of a track. I only raced one year on the old, beat-up 3.0 mile course, but I can surely relate to his sentiments below.

Here is text from an email he sent me after I sent the above picture him. It's pretty cool that he still thinks Texas was a heck of a place to race.

Linz,

I really appreciate the picture. I remember turn 7 being very fast, as it was banked. I've showed alot of people at work this picture. It's hard for me to convey to outsiders how different and "laid back" racing is in Texas. The first time Sam Yama****a asked me to race in Texas was Sept 1986. It was at TWS on a Yamaha TZR250. I could'nt believe the condition of the track, there were weeds and small trees growing thru the cracks in the pavement. The banking had potholes that would swallow your whole wheel. I remember a racer raising his hand at the riders meeting and asking about the lack of haybales in (I believe) turn 9 which was lined with an Armco barrier. The promoter said "We have no hay bales and to "not crash" in that turn, Next question". I could not believe he said what he said, like you could control where and when you crashed. I could not hold a straight line on the banking due to having to dodge all the potholes. I was protested after the race due to the fact that the TZR was missing the taillight. After about 30 minutes I finally convinced the CRRC that I started the race with a taillight and it was somewhere at the bottom of the banking. Running the banking made it feel like I was back on a dirt bike. TWS seemed strange to me because it was so different from the other places that I raced at, up to that time. But I will tell you, racing in Texas, TWS or Oak Hill, was a great experience. The Texas racers were fast, really appreciated racing and always had a good time. Of all the places I raced, Pro or Club level, my best memories are from the Texas tracks. Whenever I has the chance, I went racing in Texas.
Thanks a ton,
Cam </div></div>

wow, that's awesome!

Linz Leard
10-08-2009, 02:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jesse Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Linz, the picture you posted of the Lurch mobile is being ridden by Britt Turkington. and the color is tropical turquoise. im pretty sure only 3 or 4 people ever rode Lurch. My Dad, Kevin, And Brit. Maybe Mark Gerow. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Hehe. Mark Gerow. Schwantz likes to tell a couple Gerow stories. I'm sure you know 'em. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Killer information, Jesse! Now get off yer duff and put Lurch back together! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Jesse Davis
10-08-2009, 03:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jesse Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Linz, the picture you posted of the Lurch mobile is being ridden by Britt Turkington. and the color is tropical turquoise. im pretty sure only 3 or 4 people ever rode Lurch. My Dad, Kevin, And Brit. Maybe Mark Gerow. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Hehe. Mark Gerow. Schwantz likes to tell a couple Gerow stories. I'm sure you know 'em. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Killer information, Jesse! Now get off yer duff and put Lurch back together! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

if i could get it back from Whiteley, it would have been done by now.

Linz Leard
10-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Like a couple of the other pictures listed previously, I didnít take this one. This was in the stack that was given to me some years ago. Unfortunately picture is a little dark and hard to pick up details in. I believe the rider is Charles Brothers, and the track is Oak Hill of course, with the turn being T6. The bike, I canít really identify. Itís a UJM, of course, but I am not sure what model. This picture was taken in the 1982 Ė 1986 range, I believe.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/675092964_KD4fE-O.jpg

This picture was taken on Saturday, October 31, 1987, during Oak Hill riderís school. This is sometime in the early afternoon because Iíve already parked the borrowed Honda FT500 Ascot I rode in the morning class, and swung a leg over another borrowed bike, a very cool blue and white Suzuki GS1100ES. The bike belonged to a friend, Andy Chaudoir, who was taking riderís school that day with me. I donít know the guy in the foreground on bike 257, but he is wearing the same leathers I had at the time Ė orange and black Dainese. He appears to be wearing a Simpson Bandit helmet, too, which could be seen fairly regularly on riderís heads back in the day. Note, too, that heís riding a Yamaha FJ1200. Also note the lack of run-off room in T1 (the tire wall has been moved back at least a couple times since this time). Note, too, that in these days, novice number plates were black with white numbers. Novice plates would get a color change to yellow with black numbers in 1990.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/675092959_J8A75-O.jpg

Keith Hertell
10-09-2009, 01:42 PM
After looking at those pics OHR is much safer than is used to be.

Dewayne Davis
10-09-2009, 02:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danny Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow... Dewayne really is older than dirt! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif </div></div>

Yeah but have u seen how dust can fly /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Danny Clark
10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dewayne Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danny Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow... Dewayne really is older than dirt! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif </div></div>

Yeah but have u seen how dust can fly /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>

Sure did take you long enough to bring that comeback! I'll be watching you at TWS..... I guess I will see then! lol

Ryan Warren
10-09-2009, 03:56 PM
wow the tire walls/fences were close back then. I would have taken a big chunk out of that chain link if it was still there last race. that or it would have taken a chunk out of me.

Dewayne Davis
10-09-2009, 04:54 PM
I had missed it until today been a rough week,,, What does the weather look like for TWS from the DFW area???

Danny Clark
10-09-2009, 05:06 PM
I never believe any long range forecast.... if I did it would have rained at ever race this year! lol

Today in DFW it's cold and rainey temp in the 50's.

Dewayne Davis
10-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah for next sat. it has changed from 80 percent chance to 40 percent in the last 2 hours

Danny Clark
10-10-2009, 04:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dewayne Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah for next sat. it has changed from 80 percent chance to 40 percent in the last 2 hours </div></div>

78 and no chance of rain per todays forecast! lol...

Chuck Ergle
10-10-2009, 11:13 PM
One thing you have to ask yourself---is this thread really about weather?

Well---is it??

Sorry, just channelling Dirty Harry Callaghan.

Back to the vintage photos.

Danny Clark
10-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Linz is taking too long between pic uploads! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

marcus mcbain
10-11-2009, 01:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ryan Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow the tire walls/fences were close back then. I would have taken a big chunk out of that chain link if it was still there last race. that or it would have taken a chunk out of me. </div></div>

I want to say I remember Alan Spears FZR-1000 flying over the tirewall/fence in 1988? Anyone else remember that?

Marcus

Chuck Ergle
10-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Marcus, I remember Larry Locklear got launched over the fence in T1 sometime in that era. I remember that he was asked, as a concussion-test, what type of bike he was riding, and he said "a crashed one".

Chuck Ergle
10-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Let me see if this works as a photo and not as a link. Here is Mike Whiteley on Son of Lurch at the GNF ca. 1992-4:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hambergler/1920285557/in/set-72157603017048401/

Okay, so all it is is a link. How do you post a photo?

Ryan Warren
10-11-2009, 07:46 PM
here ya go chuck
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2331/1920285557_8d91164c5d.jpg

marcus mcbain
10-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Hey Chuck, YOU DON'T HAVE TO PUT "Skinny Marcus" on my pic next to your link!!! lol /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The XV920RJ, the best street bike I ever bought. I remember picking it up for a whopping $1300.00 (NEW!) in 1985! Rusted tank NEW! Almost every XV sat in the showroom for over a year. Yamaha shipped the bikes with fuel in them...so they ALL RUSTED! I did get the tank warrantied though. Dual disks up front with the infamous enclosed Chain Drive! lol

Chuck, enjoyed the pics...still the best Fajias I ever had at the 92 GNF! Also, "#60" in the pics was Bryan Hanson.

Marcus

Dewayne Davis
10-11-2009, 09:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus McBain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ryan Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow the tire walls/fences were close back then. I would have taken a big chunk out of that chain link if it was still there last race. that or it would have taken a chunk out of me. </div></div>

I want to say I remember Alan Spears FZR-1000 flying over the tirewall/fence in 1988? Anyone else remember that?

Marcus </div></div>

I remember Alans bike coming over/though the fence it was right in front of my pits.... I did not get the pit view I was coming on to the front straight as it cartwheeled up and into then over the fence.. It was wild to say the least...

Linz Leard
10-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Here's some more -

I'm not 100% sure about the year here, but I think it was 1988. It could have been 1989, though. Anyway, this is Oak Hill and it appears to be early in the season based on the lack of leaves on the trees. This is most certainly a Saturday morning for rider's school and open practice. The bikes in the foreground include a Yamaha FZR400, Honda Hurricane 600, and a (1985 vintage) Yamaha FZ750. Note the cool tarp tent. E-Z-Ups were a few years away.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/678222739_6pzRb-X2.jpg

This is a picture from Wheels Raceway in San Angelo, Texas. The year is 1990, and I think this race was in early June. I am in the middle of an endurance race, and I'm riding Andy Chaudoir's 1988 GSXR750. Wheels Raceway was a poor excuse for a race track. It was located in the middle of a cornfield, and once served as a air base way back when. The surface was concrete and the run-off room in some spots was plentiful, as long as you didn't mind jumping off the concrete surface to the dirt below. In other places run-off room consisted of large, round hay bales and barbed wire fencing. This picture was taken after a very high speed get-off earlier in the day by teammate Jim Frisbie after the brakes failed. The bike was a little uglier, and had a muffler that needed to be coaxed back into place with a huge breaker bar and my foot, but was still good to go. Note that we didn't need to run a fluid-collecting lower back in the day.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/678222736_fxu4z-X2.jpg

August 24, 1990. The track is Pocono and the event is WERA's Cycle Jam, which was a double points event. Since I was chasing national points, I decided that this event was a good place to get 'em. So, I loaded up my friend's truck and we made the 1450 mile trip up there. Practice was held on Friday and amateur racing was to take place on Saturday. Heavy rains came on Friday and really made a mess of things. We sloshed around on the very wet track anyway, but it didn't teach me anything. Come Saturday it was time to get busy and learn the track, but geez! That was easier said than done! The track was mucho fast and dangerous in spots. In addition, there were a lot of fast guys that showed up for this event - between 65 and 75 people gridded for each of my three races. I struggled to find a groove and asked Michael Martin where the fast line was. He said, "Man, I don't know. It was here a little while ago, but I can't find it now." I came back with fewer points than I had hoped for.

Some things I'll never forget: This was the first time I'd ever heard of a fast novice named Tom Wilson. I heard his name all over the pits at this race. "Who the hell is Tom Wilson?" I asked. By the time I left, I knew who he was. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif Also, I'll never forget the Scranton Wilkes-Barre race groupie that showed me around her, uh, town after Friday's practice. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

The same weekend as the Pocono event there was a regional race back at Oak Hill in Texas. My traveling buddy made the mistake of suggesting that if we hurry and leave the track immediately after my last race, we could get back to Texas in time to make Oak Hill's sprint races. We did just that - hauling azz through the middle night to make Oak Hill just in time to register and make two laps of practice before the races. Good times.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/678222737_E9n2o-X2.jpg

Linz Leard
10-12-2009, 03:09 PM
One this is for certain - my camera skills have improved a little bit in 20 years.

Anyway...

This is Jerry Broussard during a practice day at Oak Hill in October, 1989 on his GSXR750. Jerry was your average medium fast club racer. He decided to quit racing after the 1989 season, I believe, and I donít think Iíve seen him since this day.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/678521833_fJHJ2-X2.jpg

I took this picture in May, 1989, when I was at Talladega Gran Prix Raceway for the WERA nationals. Iíve been wracking my brains trying to remember who these guys are, but I just canít seem to do it. I believe this was during the Suzuki Cup race, so all the top guys were there that day chasing money Ė Scott Russell, Kurt Hall, Joe Pittman, Dave Sadowski, Britt Turkington, Scott Zampach, Jamie James, Mike Harth and Jeff Harder were just a few that I remember being there. I used to think that 142 was Britt, but I remember his number being 280 back around this time 'cause when he got signed, he changed to 28. I also seem to remember 33 being Jamie James, but, like I said, I just canít recall. 75 isnít ringing any bells, either. I suck, I know.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/678523468_rhX9H-X2.jpg

Chuck Ergle
10-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Here is some baby Novice named Colin Edwards. I think he got fairly fast and won a few races. Photo is at pit-in at OHR in 1990 or 1991.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hambergler/4006461737

I would really like it if one of you more astute computer geeks would explain to me how to post up photos so I can at least SEEM as smart as Linz (although I'll never reach his "incendiary" level of intelligence...)

Oh yeah--Colin, pink looks good on you! Say hey to Mr. Edwards!

Tom Anderson
10-12-2009, 11:04 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2516/4006461737_f952b86cfa_o.jpg

There ya go Chergle.

Click "quote" on the bottom of my post here to see how I did it. Basically though, you just click on the properties of the picture, copy the jpg path, and paste it in between and .

Viola'!

JDSelman
10-12-2009, 11:11 PM
I think this is Scott Russel at Oak Hill in T-7 sometime in 1987-1989.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2598/4007314652_f17036ce16_o.jpg

Chuck Ergle
10-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Here's one from when Ben Spies was a little kid.* It happened at the WERA GNF in about 1996, after Ben did a stupid thing in front of John Ulrich during practice on the back straight (he weaved around or something, and that pissed John off).* After John had let Ben have it, Mike Carter (left), and Billy Wiese (center, back towards camera), talked it over with little Ben.* He was bummed that John had yelled at him, and he always took things like that seriously.* He was so cute as a little kid, and so serious, and he took everything that you said, even the racer BS, so seriously (I always added or subtracted from my real lap times when he'd invariably ask me "Chuck, um, what lap times were you doing in practice?"* This was before transponders).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hambergler/4010438364/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hambergler/4010438364/

Jerrett Martin
10-14-2009, 09:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Same story as the picture above: I didnít take this picture, and I donít really know who this is. The track is Oak Hill, the turn is T1, and time frame is 1982 Ė 1986 (I think). Back in my earliest days there were several guys that rode vintage iron and contested the CRRC/WERA vintage classes. One of the most badass racers of the group was R.N. Root. Root raced Triumphs in several vintage classes and usually cleaned house. He is a CRRC legend. Iím pretty sure this isnít Root as this is a novice with a three-digit number; Root was an expert with a two-digit number when I watched him race. But hey, this picture was a few years before my time, so what do I know?

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/674196582_5EM7L-O.jpg

</div></div>

This is Keith "Doughboy" Martin on a T-140 Triumph. Root is a great guy, but his flying hunk of junk rarely finished ahead of Keith.

Linz Leard
10-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm a little surprised at the folks who have been following this thread and reliving old times. I had a good number of folks come up to me at TWS and talk about "back in the day". I promised these guys I'd post up more - even if I felt it was sub-par or embarrasing - because more people than I thought are digging this stuff. I just wish I had more pictures, and I wish the ones I have were better. (I'm still looking for a stack of pix I took in the early to middle 1990s, by the way.)

Here's a picture of yours truly at Oak Hill in August of 1988. In the background you can see the old T7 school house. I am not sure why I pitted down the hill on this day because I rarely, if ever, pitted in this location.

I'm working on a number plate, using a pocket knife to open up a hole so I can zip tie it to the bike. On this day a friend, James Denton, wanted to borrow my Honda Interceptor 500 and do a race or two. I agreed, and felt an easy way to make the number swap between his 602 and my 997 was to simply turn the number plate around for his races.

It was all going well until James crashed in, I think, last practice, and punched a hole in the radiator. That ended the day early. I think I was pretty peeved at the time, but that's racing. Note the for sale sign on the front of the bike. I think I was asking $1100 for the bike this day, but after the crash, I had to reduce the price.

At Oak Hill that day I bumped into a guy I saw at the races back in those days, a guy from Austin, who ran some kind of motorcycle salvage yard. I agreed to sell the bike to him for $700. He only had $600 on him, so I agreed to let him have it for $600 that day with the promise to pay $100 at the next race. I had to track him down at the next race, and when I finally did, he claimed to have no knowledge of the $100 we agreed to. For a little while things looked like they were gonna get ugly, but we came to some kind of terms, although I don't remember exactly what. I never saw or heard of the bike again after that day, by the way. And James? Last I heard he moved from Houston and lived in Louisana somewhere.

Note the killer swingarm stand I made for the bike.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/678594170_BeXQq-L.jpg

Danny Clark
10-20-2009, 02:32 PM
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7615/cmra1ku8.jpg

Oak Hill Raceway I believe in 1991. #317 Danny Clark, #165 John Arnquist, #2 Chuck Inman, #100 Andy East, #701 ?

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs146.snc1/5420_101158083232700_100000155270925_32382_4421726 _n.jpg
Hallett 5 hour endurance race 1994.... #34 Moto Worth (me riding),#60 not sure, #67 with Jeff Covington riding.

Going to have to break out hte news letters to get the names right.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Linz Leard
10-22-2009, 10:34 AM
^^^

Good stuff. Thanks, Danny! Keep 'em coming!

I have more pictures for my self-serving, er, cathartic post.

Here is a picture from my rider's school, October 31, 1987. This is the group heading into T7 at Oak Hill on one of our slow follow-the-guy-in-front-of-you laps. By the angle of the sun, I'd guess this was mid-morning, and could have possibly been the first laps I turned on the track. I don't have any clue who is riding any of these bikes here, but I know several guys taking the class were using borrowed bikes. A Yamaha FZ600 leads the group, and then I'm on a friend's borrowed Honda FT500 Ascot. I'm guessing that's an RD two-stroke that's following me, but I don't know. I can't see the rider behind him, but a GSXR, a Hurricane 600, a GSXR and a Hurricane round out the group.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/689002029_2TEw9-XL.jpg

This is the Oak Hill in the spring of 1989. This is T7. I am guessing this is either the warm-up lap or the the cool down lap. I don't recognize any of the guys on the track with me. I don't recognize the cool shirtless photographer walking with his killer Canon AE1 along the outside of T7 in the impact zone, either.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/689002043_FRaSg-XL.jpg

This is my 1986 Yamaha FZ750 race bike all ready to race. I believe this picture was taken in February 1989, a week or two before the Oak Hill season opener. I bought the bike new in the crate in December 1988. I planned on breaking in the motor by riding to Fort Worth to visit my sister on weekend, but chose a day that was freaking cold as all get out and had to turn back in Conroe because I was frozen. My wheels are "That Color", as is my cool Lockhart Phillips race stand. Does anyone remember how rickity these stands could be? I ran Dunlop 591s in the rear, and a Metzler ME33 Lazer in the front. No better rain tire than a Lazer at the time.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/689002027_Vqobs-XL.jpg

This is the start of a race at Oak Hill in the summer of 1989. I think the month is August, but I'm not sure of that. I keep thinking that 121 is Joe Acerni, but I am not sure. I think that is 255 in front me - Scott Crews? I think 321 is Chris Segler. I don't know who Hurricane rider 331 is or GSXR rider 285 (?) is. Again, check out the little scorer's shed that is long-since gone.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/689002041_RC6vs-XL.jpg

This picture was taken at Oak Hill in early summer, 1989. May or June, I think. I had just painted my bike and thought it a good idea to take a picture of it while it was fresh. In the background you can see the fence outside T1 and the tire wall, too. Note that there is a short fence in the foreground, then a narrow access path, and then a taller fence. This little access road actually served as the return road for bikes back then. You'd take the checkered flag at the start/finish, slow down, and exit the track at the end of T1. Then everyone would take this little access road back to the pits. It was a little hectic at times to get everyone slowed down and off the track in an orderly fashion. I remember more than once incident trying to get racers off the track with this method, too. I believe this track exit practice was abandoned at the end of the 1989 season in favor of a full cool-down lap, and the tire wall was moved back a bit to afford more run-off room.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/689002032_gHheo-XL.jpg

Danny Clark
10-23-2009, 11:00 PM
here ya go Cecil.... her we are back in 1995 racing at TWS. Formula 1 #8 Doug Land, #700 Cecil Keeling (2009 F40 HWT Expert champion), #371 Danny Clark

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9741/twsmarch95.jpg

I finished 3rd, Cecil 4th and Doug Land 17th

Keith Hertell
10-24-2009, 12:01 PM
88/89 GSXR750 FTW!!!

You know, they look good w/ a windscreen too.

Best looking upper of any GSXR IMHO.

Danny Clark
10-24-2009, 12:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith Hertell #11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">88/89 GSXR750 FTW!!!

You know, they look good w/ a windscreen too.

Best looking upper of any GSXR IMHO. </div></div>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ha ha ha... yeah it had a windscreen on it when the day started but a little fall in practice removed it for me. Thanks to Mike Steinman loaning me a rearset I was able to make 2 of my 3 races that day. The first time I lifted out of a tuck for T1 was a shock without that windscreen! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

And I agree 100% on that year GSXR upper! If I still had that bike today I would be running it in CLassics! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

In that race I ran in 2nd place behind Jason Hoefs then on the last lap Hans Battle got by me on his TZ250.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Linz Leard
10-25-2009, 11:51 PM
I picked this poster up at TWS in September 1988. It was an advertisement for the (I think) season finale at the Monterrey race track the weekend of October 30, 1988. Since I had sold my race bike a couple months prior to this, I didn't make the event that year, but I would go to Mexico a couple times in the coming years. I thought the poster was cool and kept it rolled up for several years. I built the frame for it in 1997 and finally hung it up in my house.

I was told the model/inspiration for the art used in this poster was Mexican fast guy B.B. Montemayor. B.B. was a Mexican national champion (I think) and a local legend of sorts who would make the trek to Texas to race with the CRRC back in the day on many occasion. I saw B.B. race a time or two in the late 1980s in Texas. I'm not 100% certain what became of B.B., but someone told me he died a couple years back. I could be wrong.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/IMG0801/692804971_ifCLg-XL.jpg

marcus mcbain
10-26-2009, 01:01 AM
My favorite posters were the ones in the paddock (in Monterry)...

Forget the beer (might have been Carta Blanca), but the slogan was "The Big S" with a picture of a nice endowed colelege coed with a "wife beater" and no bra on....

lol

Linz Leard
10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
I was digging through some desk drawers over the weekend and discovered a few dealer brochures of some of the bikes I've owned over the years. Man, time as blown by and now these ad copies have become vintage.

Anyway, I thought these brochures might be some fun to look at, so I'm gonna post up a few. We start off with the 1990 Suzuki GSXR 750/1100. I bought a new, blue GSXR 750 in March of 1990. I bought the bike on a Saturday and turned it over to friend and former racer John Pollard the following Sunday so he could put some break-in miles on it. I bought the bike with an MSO because I intended to race it, thus it wasn't registered and I didn't have insurance coverage on it. Because of this, I was afraid to ride it on the street and risk getting a ticket. But I didn't mind it if someone else got the ticket. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif John took it to Galveston and who knows where else that day, putting a couple hundred miles on it for me. When he brought it back, I changed the oil and wired it for the track.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1990-Suzuki-GSXR-Brochure/Page1/693237403_EvL7E-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1990-Suzuki-GSXR-Brochure/Page2/693237417_jD6p8-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1990-Suzuki-GSXR-Brochure/Page3/693237433_nsSsR-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1990-Suzuki-GSXR-Brochure/Page4/693237442_bfKTK-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1990-Suzuki-GSXR-Brochure/Page5/693237450_Gj4jF-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1990-Suzuki-GSXR-Brochure/Page6/693237487_3VoKe-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1990-Suzuki-GSXR-Brochure/Page7/693237501_W5REZ-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1990-Suzuki-GSXR-Brochure/Page8/693237513_7nmw7-XL.jpg

Linz Leard
10-26-2009, 02:38 PM
More -

I was digging through some desk drawers over the weekend and discovered a few dealer brochures of some of the bikes I've owned over the years. Man, time as blown by and now these ad copies have become vintage.

Anyway, I thought these brochures might be some fun to look at, so I'm gonna post up a few. Here we have the 1988 Yamaha FZR brochure. The FZR600 wasn't offered in the US until 1989, so it's notably absent. The 400 was an attempt to capitalize on the small bike with stratosphereic rev range that was all the rage in Japan at the time. (As a side note, for a while 400s were all the rage at the race track, too, with a lot of the fast, younger crowd getting one to cut their teeth on. Over the years they've been slowly dying off. Mike Pettipas still has one, and rode it at the season finale at TWS a week or so back. Andrew Sukach has one, too, but it exploded last season and sits in the garage today.) The 750R was the limited production race model - most dealers didn't get one. I bought a blue 1000 in June 1988 and kept it six months. I sold it to afford a better race bike. Sound familiar?

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1988-Yamaha-Brochure/1988-YamahaPage1/693483858_hRJak-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1988-Yamaha-Brochure/1988-YamahaPage2/693483979_uhz5d-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1988-Yamaha-Brochure/1988-YamahaPage3/693483881_VEJTW-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1988-Yamaha-Brochure/1988-YamahaPage4/693483962_v29ey-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1988-Yamaha-Brochure/1988-YamahaPage5/693483893_jV2h8-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1988-Yamaha-Brochure/1988-YamahaPage6/693483987_3vQQb-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1988-Yamaha-Brochure/1988-YamahaPage7/693483901_cqMWK-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1988-Yamaha-Brochure/1988-YamahaPage8/693484023_4NoDm-XL.jpg

Linz Leard
10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Here's another brochure, this time going back to 1986. This is the 1986 Yamaha FZ750. I had two of these back in the day. I bought a leftover new one in early 1987 from Texas Yamaha in South Houston, and rode it on the street. I sold it in May 1988 to get a 1988 Yamaha FZR1000. I sold the 1000 in December of 1988 and bought another new-in-the-crate leftover 1986 FZ750 from TY to go roadracing with after my first roadracer, a 1985 Honda Interceptor 500, went belly up earlier in the year. As a street bike, the FZ was really good as it had a very stable chassis, a marvelous motor and very comfy ergos. As a race bike it was less than stellar, though, mostly because it was too long, too low and too heavy. In the most talented hands, and with enough factory parts in them, the FZ could still be made to work well enough on the race track - just look at Eddie Lawson's 1986 Daytona 200 victory on a factory FZ750 as proof.

Note the neat little chain that adjusts the rear shock's preload, the super tiny width rear tire (the largest race rubber it could fit with a stock swingarm was a 150 profile tire), the long wheelbase, which easily was over 59 inches when axle was as far back as it would go in the swingarm, and the trick for 1986 vented brake rotors.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1986-Yamaha-FZ750-Brouchure/1986-Yamaha-FZ750Page1/694455948_cUfpv-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1986-Yamaha-FZ750-Brouchure/1986-Yamaha-FZ750Page2/694455954_KpYzz-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1986-Yamaha-FZ750-Brouchure/1986-Yamaha-FZ750Page3/694455958_PeaD5-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1986-Yamaha-FZ750-Brouchure/1986-Yamaha-FZ750Page4/694455969_LoRBK-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1986-Yamaha-FZ750-Brouchure/1986-Yamaha-FZ750Page5/694455982_HbbyY-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1986-Yamaha-FZ750-Brouchure/1986-Yamaha-FZ750Page6/694455993_rpikW-XL.jpg

Keith Hertell
10-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Jason Hoefs is a good friend of mine, I keep trying to get him racing again.

Little story:

Chuck and I were driving to TWS from SA one time back in 98 or 99 trying to make the gate. Chuck was driving his white van w/ a couple bikes inside and my old 3 rail with my RD and the old 88 GSXR750 w/ new bodywork and paint. He was going a little over 100mph (as fast as the van would go) coming into CS where the railroad tracks are. As soon as I saw the RR I said " Chuck - RR TRACKS!!!" He says, "they are flat". Well, hitting them at 100mph they aren't flat. So we jumped the van and the trailer over the tracks and proceded to bounce up off the ground a couple times. Thats whn I looked in the side mirror and was so relived that my GSXR was still on the trailer. I gave him a dirty look and out of the corner of my eye saw a little movement from my bike. When I looked back the GSXR was falling over in slow motion. It seemed like it took 5 minutes. But when it hit the ground all hell broke loose. ME! I saw my freshly painted bike still attached by one tiedown flailing back and forth into the trailer tire, sparks flying, me yelling. What does Chuck do? He doesn't believe me and continues at 100mph till he sees it himself in the mirror. So it ends up taking about a 1/4 mile to get him to stop. I ended up racing w/o a fairing or windscreen. Just a little old school plastic number plate zip tied to a bent up fairing bracket. Fun stuff!!!

Danny Clark
10-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Keith that was a funny story up until the bike got hurt! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif lol...

Jason was really fast, I hung with him till about the halfway point in that race then I figured I wasn't going to get by him at the pace he was running. There were only so many times you can save a front end tuck with your knee, well atleast thats what I convinced myself of in that race anyway, unfortunatly I backed off too much and let Hans get by.

Linz Leard
10-27-2009, 06:27 PM
I can't remember if I told this GSXR story or not, but I'll tell it again if I did...and tell it for the first time if not.

Like a lot of CRRC racers at the time, I decided I'd race the AMA national that came to the newly renovated TWS in 1991, but being without a bike meant that racing might be a little difficult. So I borrowed Andy Chaudoir's 1988 GSXR750 and entered 750SS. When I went through tech, one of the AMA tech guys said, "Dude, you can't race that thing without a lower fairing." (Andy's bike had a lower fairing, but I left it at home because it had big holes in the side bubbles from previous crashes.) It seems the SS rules at the time were all about looks and less about safety -- no one cared about belly pans or oil collection devices then, but they were seriously concerned with looks. Without a lower fairing, I didn't have a bike that looked like a showroom GSXR.

So I went off to see if I could find a fairing to borrow. The few that had a fairing to lend had it for later models, so they didn't fit. Most folks, however, told me they didn't have a spare to lend at all. Just when it was looking bleak and like I wasn't going to be able to make practice, I spotted Craig Gleason. I didnít know Craig very well personally, but I certainly knew who he was and knew he had a Klaus Speedworks GSXR, so I asked him about bumming his lower. Craig said he only had one, but I could borrow it to get through tech. "What about the races?" I asked. Craig said not to worry about it, and told me that I could get around the "appearance rule" by telling the guy at pit out that I crashed in practice and destroyed my lower. So I borrowed his lower, got a tech sticker, rolled behind the nearest truck, removed the fairing and handed it back to Craig who quickly mounted it on his bike and took off for pit out to make practice. I followed him on my bike. When I got to pit out, I told the pit steward that I crashed my bike in an earlier practice and demolished my fairing. He asked me where it was and I told him "In 100 pieces, in the garbage and on the side of the track." He let me go.

I have wondered for years if that guy ever figured out that there wasn't a previous practice - he let me out in the first practice of the weekend.

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

marcus mcbain
10-27-2009, 07:44 PM
The best road story concerning "flying trailers" was Monterrey 1990. That was the year they repaved...and finished 30 minutes before the race...lol.

Anyway, The entrance road is a mile long and you can really get on it on the way to the gate...70 MPH...no problem.

One problem...they put in OPEN drainage ditches (8" deep x 12" wide) that ran ACROSS the road. As we were about to say, "Oh [censored]", the front wheels hit and after the initial thud, the front end of Bryan Hanson's Toyota truck started on a 18" vertical journey.

As the back wheels hit, we were both bouncing off the roof...at this point, the 3 rail trailer was next. Between the rear of the truck 18" off the ground and the trailer's leaf springs trying to lauch it into low earth orbit, I knew for sure that the trailer was coming over the top of the truck cab for sure.

Somehow, we made it through without destroying anything, but the first thing everyone said when they got out of their vehicle in the paddock was, "WTF, How fast did you hit the whoops on the way in!" Everyone had their own adventure story...after that, I never sped to pit gate...lol

Danny Clark
10-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Pics of one of my friends bikes he bought from Yoshimura years ago. It was one of Jamie James bikes from 1989.... he sold it to a friend who then sold it on ebay.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/8679/mvc013l.jpg
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/8890/mvc014l.jpg
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6621/mvc007l.jpg

Chuck Ergle
10-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Keith, for the last time, we weren't going more than 70. You just didn't have the bike tied down well enough.

Marcus, I remember riding down to Monterrey the first time with Phideaux Poindexter in his car, with the Vision From H@ll on the trailer. We, too, saw the "VADO" sign and wondered "what the heck does that mean?"; just then we saw the trench. I swear we got air and I almost broke my neck on the headliner; his girlfriend at the time (Caroline) screamed bloody murder, and I think Bryan Hanson was in the back with me and he just about broke his neck too. That was the weekend they were still paving the track; when practice started, the Vision fired right up, but would not run in gear. We tried everything, then decided to race Open Cooler Expert the rest of the weekend. Cheap Mexican beer, hamburguesas, bistecas, Federales, and local hotties in Daisy Dukes...wasn't that the weekend Bryan and Larry Schwarzbach hooked up with the local talent who's dad was the Chief of the Federales?

marcus mcbain
10-28-2009, 12:12 AM
I think Colon Foulair must have been with you. Bryan and I made the drive in the Toyota. Funny how no AC with Vinyl seats didn't bother me back then...lol

90 was the year that the big party Saturday night at (I think) Mr. Martinez's house that had a honest to goodness bar/disco in his back yard by the pool and he hired...ahem...the hostesses!

This is a good thread. Tim Barnes called me up the other day...said he was reading this and thinking about the late 80's early nineties. The "staccato" laughter gave him away when he asked, "Do you know who this is?".

Think about it, without Tim and Andy (RIP) we would have not had the following:

- Eric Falt with no pants on during the rider's meeting (Eric, really you need to wear underwear!)

- No one to harass Greg with the infamous...Gregaaabbbuttissaafawg" Cough during the riders meeting everytime Greg chimed in with his infamous, "Charles, I have one question..." (Greg we love you man, but it was funny!)

- No racer has ever been referred to as "Gay [censored]" during a race (on track) since the great Phideaux raced with Tim and Andy announcing!

- Michael Martin probably will never really laugh about the Andy observation, "Get a high speed buffer and that thing will be like new..." after crashing his team hammer bike in T4 at Oak Hill.

Best time of my life was racing back then...!

Linz Leard
10-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Another one from TWS in 1988. I think the month is April, but I could be wrong. Andy Chaudoir, on a Yamaha RZ350, is 770. For some reason I can't remember who 402 is, although I remember him from back in the day. (I think he's riding a Honda VTR250, but maybe I'm wrong about that.) I don't remember who is riding bike ?44, and I can't make out the rider in the background.

Note that this picture was taken in T8A, and note the Armco in the lower right part of the picture. Yes, in those days it was that close to the edge of the track, and was as deadly as it looks. Note, too, the pack of tailgaters immediately behind the racers. As mentioned before, in these days you could drive out to the infield and spectate T4, T5, T6, T7, T8 and T8A from just inside the fence. That was cool.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1988TWSAndyCT8A/695497860_qDj2x-X2.jpg

Linz Leard
10-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Hereís a CRRC event flyer from the August 1988 at Oak Hill. This cool flyer was taped to Andrew Sukach's tool box lid for nearly two decades! (Thanks Andrew!) I was at this race, and, like all August races at Oak Hill, I remember it being hot as hell. Note the photo is taken by George Peckham. Man, I'd forgotten about that guy. To the best of my ability, the photo shows Britt Turkington (280), Scott Russell (22), Dave Sadowski (25) and Pete Martins (80), obviously from an earlier event at OHR. I might be wrong about a couple of these guys, and I can't remember the other riders.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/FlyerAug1988smaller/695537559_dLtAi-X2.jpg

Linz Leard
11-01-2009, 11:06 PM
I finally dug through a stack of old stuff I have had in attic since slightly after the dawn of time. I found some vintage newsletters and some other items and will be scanning these and making arrangements to make available these archive as soon as I can. I doubt that I will be adding many of those items to this thread, and will instead try another avenue of distribution. Stand by for that.

In the meantime, here's a little nugget that was in with some of this stuff:

This is a schedule from the April 9/10 race weekend at Texas World Speedway in 1988. There's quite a few interesting things here, including the endurance practice session on Saturday that is as long as the race is, the six lap mini sprint which, I assume, since it was run on the 3.0 mile course, took forever and a day to complete, and the minuscule (by today's standards) 13 race sprint schedule.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/CRRC-1989/TWS-Schedule-April-0910-1989/700276406_9xh75-X2.jpg

Linz Leard
11-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Here's some more vintage pix. These are less vintage than some of the others, but seeing as how the clock keeps on ticking, they aren't minty fresh anymore.

These pictures are from February 23, 1997, at the first race of the year at Oak Hill. In this first picture we have Michael Martin dropping in for a guest appearance at Oak Hill on a Ronnie Lunsford owned Northwest Honda CBR endurance bike. Michael was helping to instruct the CMRA's new rider's school on this day. Note in the background of this picture that you can see Johnny Landers and son Ryan (#44) on an Honda RS125.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/OHRMichael-Martin02231997/700799588_EaeHN-X2.jpg

Here's another picture from the same weekend. This is the unmistakable style of Ronnie Lunsford in, I think, T6.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/OHRRonnie-Lunsford02231997/700799591_6K5jh-X2.jpg

David Hirsch
11-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Stop calling us Vintage!

Danny Clark
11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah...... we all know David is in his prime! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Linz Leard
11-02-2009, 02:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Hirsch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stop calling us Vintage! </div></div>

Is &quot;classic&quot; better? How about &quot;aged&quot;? What about &quot;seasoned&quot;? What about &quot;CORC&quot;?

Rich Desmond
11-02-2009, 02:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally dug through a stack of old stuff I have had in attic since slightly after the dawn of time. I found some vintage newsletters and some other items and will be scanning these and making arrangements to make available these archive as soon as I can. I doubt that I will be adding many of those items to this thread, and will instead try another avenue of distribution. Stand by for that.

In the meantime, here's a little nugget that was in with some of this stuff:

This is a schedule from the April 9/10 race weekend at Texas World Speedway in 1988. There's quite a few interesting things here, including the endurance practice session on Saturday that is as long as the race is, the six lap mini sprint which, I assume, since it was run on the 3.0 mile course, took forever and a day to complete, and the minuscule (by today's standards) 13 race sprint schedule.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/CRRC-1989/TWS-Schedule-April-0910-1989/700276406_9xh75-X2.jpg </div></div>

Couple of things really jumped out at me on that schedule.

1) No differentiated practice sessions, practice was just...practice. I can see some advantages to that. (And also the possibility of carnage. :))

2) 15 total classes. What do we have now, 348?? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

marcus mcbain
11-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Dennie, Charles, or whomever was the race director would split practice and make groups if needed.

I wish they had a sheet when we used to run Big Bike endurance at Oak Hill. Some of you seem to think Oak Hill is not &quot;safe&quot;...well, trying racing a 4-Hour endurance ON A BIG BIKE with 45 bikes on the track. I have a Video Tape from 1992 if anyone wants to convert it to digital.

It is a good 15 minutes of video AND has a certain &quot;Statuesque&quot; racer by the name of Walter Walker. And of course it featured the winning duo of Jeb and Marcus...lol

Linz Leard
11-03-2009, 09:09 AM
^^^

I remember the endurance races at Oak Hill very well, Marcus.

Here's a couple tidbits I found while digging through my old stuff recently:

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1987-CRRC/1987YSRChallenge/702008213_YqGeA-X2.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1987-CRRC/1987CRRCSchedule/702008219_EDj9b-X2.jpg

Jesse Davis
11-03-2009, 12:13 PM
the mini races at TWS were held using the back section of the track, as shown in red, in a counter clockwise direction.

my dad won that '87 YSR track challenge, and a shiny new SRX600. he later traded that SRX for a sweet 1966 Pontiac Grand Prix.

http://i34.tinypic.com/sd045v.jpg

Keith Hertell
11-03-2009, 12:43 PM
I got this banner from Joe Ergle (Chuck's Dad) years ago. If you look at the engine sizes you can see it was patched over. It used to say &quot;50 - 350&quot;

I've also got a YSR50 Challenge banner w/ the same picture that Linz posted. I'll post that later.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/teambackbone/IMG_0192.jpg?t=1257268900
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/teambackbone/IMG_0191.jpg?t=1257268974

Linz Leard
11-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Keeping with the more recent past, all of these pictures are from February 23, 1997, at Oak Hill. I was playing with black and white at the time, so pardon the lack of color.

This fuzzy picture shows a young Ryan Landers on his Honda RS125 following Michael Martin on his Northwest Honda CBR endurance bike into T6.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/02231997OHR01/703104466_jCAKK-XL.jpg

This picture shows pit out as riders leave for, I assume, practice or possibly some rider's school laps. Seen in this bunch is the late Butch Lawrawson.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/02231997OHR02/703104486_Y8qns-XL.jpg

I don't know who the riders are off the top of my head, but looking back at T7 shows the tire wall still hasn't been moved back to its current day location, and the school house is still on the outside of the corner. Actually, the school house was moved back a few feet in the early mid-1990s to the location in this picture (which was only slightly safer than where it sat for many years prior). I forget when it was torn down completely, a year or two after this?

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/02231997OHR03/703104467_QCm7p-XL.jpg

An interesting view looking out at T5. Note the &quot;new&quot; scorer's platform is, well, nothing but a platform at this point. It has since been built up completely with a nice roof. Tire wall protection from possible T5 bike runoff is much improved today, too, with much of that work taking place in the early 2000s at a work day.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/02231997OHR05/703104468_dzRky-XL.jpg

This looks like the start of the provisional novice race. I'm not sure who the starter is. Note a grid marshal with his hand up behind the front pack of riders -- there's a second wave in the back of this one taking the green flag.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/02231997OHR04/703104483_cxDzu-XL.jpg

Linz Leard
11-04-2009, 02:53 PM
More from Oak Hill, February 1997. This weekend was not a race weekend. It was, I think, a work day that had a rider's school and open practice.

I donít know who is on the 0 bike, but the 412 Honda Hawk is Keith Cherry coming out of T8.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1997OHRKeithCherry/703314855_stpVB-XL.jpg

This is Ducati mounted Tony Lewis at the entrance to T6.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1997TonyLewis/703314852_RrH2n-XL.jpg

Frank Butler on the exit of T8.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1997FrankButler/703314835_3QBGp-XL.jpg

I'm not sure who is in the spotter's tower in this picture. It looks a little bit like Bryan Norton, but I don't think it's Bryan. (That's certainly not Bryan's oil head parked nearby.) The spotter's tower has changed a bit since this shot was taken - it's a lot more rickity and is now a convertible of sorts.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1997SpottersTower/703314832_cFkUq-X3.jpg

Rich Desmond
11-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Linz,

The tire wall wasn't moved back until after my crash there in '02. I think between the '02 and '03 seasons, and that the schoolhouse was torn down at the same time.

Thanks for posting all the old photos. I didn't start until '98, it's really cool to see what came before that.

Linz Leard
11-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Here's some more from the old schoolÖ

This picture was taken in October of 1989. I am riding Andy Chaudoir's 1988 GSXR750 at an Oak Hill prace day. This is T6 which, of course, doesn't look any different today.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1989OHRT6GSXR750/704033002_5kAdp-L.jpg

This picture was taken in May of 1989 at Talladega Grand Prix Raceway. I'm obviously being very covert in my effort to capture a scantily clad pit babe taking lap times.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1989TGPRPitTootsie/704032988_o8dat-L.jpg

Another view of TGPR in May of 1989. I don't recall what I am standing on to get this high angle, but this is looking westward towards a portion of the pits. The red building in the background is the control tower. Pit lane and the front straight are pff to the left. As you can see, TGPR was/is a little old school like Oak Hill is. Accomdations are a bit sparse, but that's part of it's charm.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1989TGPRPitView/704032986_3kF7L-L.jpg

I took this picture in May of 1988 at TWS. I am in the grandstands, somewhere near the starter's stand and looking back towards the pits. The reason I took the picture was because I spotted a Ducati 750 Paso parked in the pits (red bike in center of the picture). I was in lust with those things at the time. Also of note is bike 508, which was raced by Charles Inman.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1988TWSPitView/704032983_xYp5z-L.jpg

Linz Leard
11-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Here's a vintage ad for the 1988 Austin Aquafest. I think I previously mentioned in this thread that this event was a letdown for me and a lot of others because it was moved from the streets (where it had been run in years prior, and which contributed to its legend) to a parking lot next to an Expo Center for this year. Sure, the parking lot course was arguably safer than racing on city streets with curbs and street signs and lightpoles and stuff, but it was a boring and awkward layout. (In those old school days, safety just didn't seem to have the same urgency that it has in the modern era, you know.) Everything else about the event was lame, too. Also, it was hotter than hell. Yes, hotter than hell. And in case I didn't mention it, it was hotter than hell.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/1988-CRRC/1988AustinAquaFest/704856550_f2Wfd-XL.jpg

David Hirsch
11-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Yep, it was pretty lame. Oh and it was hot too.

Linz Leard
11-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Here's a couple moreÖ

September 1989. This is Hallett and the corner is, I think, T1 (CCW direction).

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1989HMSFZ750/708176355_bpSQv-XL.jpg

This is a picture from spring of 1989. This is OHR and this is the short chute leading up the slope to T7. I don't really know who is on the 38 bike. 38, in years prior to 1989, was Glenn Heintschel, Jr., but I think Glenn, who was smoking fast back in the day, retired from racing after 1988.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1989OHR997and38/708176335_TQRz7-XL.jpg

Linz Leard
11-09-2009, 07:46 PM
As long as we're talking old school, let's have a look at this. No, this isn't motorcycle racing, but it is Texas World Speedway back in the day. This is a clip from an Indy Car race (won by A.J. Foyt, by the way) at TWS in 1978, and it's interesting on many levels. (Remember that NASCAR and Indy Car never returned to TWS after 1981.) Among the many things to note is the rather sparse crowd in the grandstands (but decent number of tailgaters in the infield), the visible outfield portion of the road course and where it crosses the oval between T2 and T3 (including the old, dangerous turn that and enters the track at NASCAR T3), the lack of the covered spectator on the inside of the track on the other side of the hot pits (which was added by the Ishin folks in 1991), and various buildings in the infield that, the most part, are gone today.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZS-HaA6E5Ts"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZS-HaA6E5Ts" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Linz Leard
11-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Bear with me here 'cause these are pretty crappy pictures. But I'm okay with crappy pictures if they will bring back some memories for some folks. (Sometimes I'm okay with crappy pictures if all they do bring back some memories for me. But anyway.)

This picture was taken at Hallett in September of 1989. It has always been a bit of a mystery, though, because I couldn't make out who the rider is. Then I scanned it and was able to enlarge it enough to make out the number: 402. The rider is Rick Kirk, former CRRC fast guy who went on to do pretty well in the AMA back in the early 1990s. I think he co-rode to a Super Teams championship one year. I know he was also a AMA 250 GP rider now and again, and I seem to remember him getting a Yosh support ride for a year. Rick kind of went away in the early 1990s, but I saw him again at Hallett in May of this year where he was supporting his boy, Cameron. Now Cameron looks to be a force to be recokened with in the CMRA.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1989RickKirkHallett/711361761_9Sk3h-O.jpg

This picture was taken in April of 1988 at TWS. Even though I took rider's school in late 1987, this was my first race weekend. My ride here was a 1985 Honda Interceptor 500 that I bought in a basket from a guy I met on while running with the street bike gang back in the day. Note the cloudy skies -- the weather was suspect the whole day, pissing rain now and again, usually when I needed it the least.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/April1988TWSIncerceptor500/711361759_2nwzA-XL.jpg

This picture was taken on Labor Day 1989 at Memphis Motorsports Park. It was a WERA double-points national, so I figured I'd take a road trip. Check out my first class rig! My 1989 Mustang 5.0 was a killer tow vehicle. The line to get in was pretty long, and I'm standing at a barrier contemplating the last few corners of the track, which used the staging lanes of the drag strip. MMP is a fun track, and I liked it so much that I went back the year. (Yes, Joe, this is the car that had an altercation with a shopping basket, but that didn't happen until 1990. I can hear you laughing from here!)

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1989MemphisMotorsportsParkEntr/711361760_oefCN-XL.jpg

This is Oak Hill sometime in the spring of 1989. If you're trying to identify riders, this is a terrible picture, but I didn't take it so don't blame me. I am the guy in the middle of the picture with some other guy right on my rear wheel. Some other guy leads us both through T1. Check out the crowd in the background, though.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/1989OHRT1/711361782_WHULk-XL.jpg

Dewayne Davis
11-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Linz that is for sure Rick Kirk coming out of the b--t--h and that is me in tow behind him just my head and arm is all you can see he was the only one to beat me that weekend... And for an update on Rick, he is coming back next season to ride some endurance with his son ....... and yes Cameron is some one to take note of he will be very fast very soon.... I rode with him a bit this last weekend at hallett.... Hes moving on its in the genes......... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Linz Leard
11-18-2009, 09:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dewayne Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Linz that is for sure Rick Kirk coming out of the b--t--h and that is me in tow behind him just my head and arm is all you can see he was the only one to beat me that weekend... <span style="font-weight: bold">And for an update on Rick, he is coming back next season to ride some endurance with his son</span> ....... and yes Cameron is some one to take note of he will be very fast very soon.... I rode with him a bit this last weekend at hallett.... Hes moving on its in the genes......... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif </div></div>

I talked with him about this myself. I knew he would. I expect that team to be quite formidable on the track.

More old (but more recent pix):

For several years in the late 1990s and into the early 2000s, the CMRA had a booth at the Houston AutoRama, which is a large car show (of sorts) held around Thanksgiving time. It was always a popular display, often manned by a represenative of the club, with CMRA information on hand, and videos running in loop. In this picture from, I 1999 (or maybe 2000), and we can see W. David Cheek's vintage Honda CB900F superbike (#1), Mike Kern's Yamaha YSR-50 (#22), Walter Walker's classic Honda CBR900 (#43), and my 1995 Yamaha TZ-125 GP bike (#997). I can't recall who the other bikes belonged to.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Vintage-Racing-Days/CMRAAutoRama1999/717130561_zL43S-X2.jpg

Dewayne Davis
11-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Rick won 2 races that weekend and I won 3..... we might have rubbed some paint off that weekend ,,, well we pretty much rubbed paint every weekend we raced together <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif

marcus mcbain
11-27-2009, 05:08 AM
OK, I suck at the internet...the description is useless without the pic working! lol

David Hirsch
11-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Here are some misc Aquafest photos from the early 80s.

David Hirsch
11-29-2009, 05:21 PM

David Hirsch
11-29-2009, 05:22 PM

David Hirsch
11-29-2009, 05:22 PM

Linz Leard
11-30-2009, 10:22 AM
^^^

Now there's some good stuff, Dave! Sweet GS, too. Also, no wheelies in the pits. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Darnell Dorsey
12-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Here are just a couple that I found.

The first is Danny, not sure what year. I think it is 1990.
one (http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu100/Wanna_Be_Racer/Picture001.jpg)

This one is 1993. Can't remember if it was the first or last race of the year. It was cold, we had snow flurrys during practice.
two (http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu100/Wanna_Be_Racer/Picture002.jpg)

Steve Nance #83
12-22-2009, 11:22 PM
I remember the F2 Darnell.
I thought you were God.
Now that I think of it....I still do....

Danny Dominguez
12-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Darnell that second 1 was in 1992,I have no mustache in that picture.I had to shave it for the 1st time since I was 16 for the OCPD academy.

David Hirsch
12-31-2009, 12:24 AM
Here is a little more recent vintage pic. 1996 Donnington Park, the slickest track I have ever been on.

Linz Leard
01-15-2010, 02:57 PM
October 1989, Hallett Motor Speedway. I believe this is the Clubman class and a couple of CRRC/CMRA legends are depicted here. In front on a modified 1983 XL600 is Eric Falt, and he is leading Jeff Berglund on a hopped-up Honda FT Ascot. Berglund was damn near impossible to beat in this class in those days, and retired and moved up north after the 1989 season, I think. I never forgot that he was a wild-[censored] and his Rising Sun helmet looked cool and stood out back in the day. And Eric Falt? What can you say about him? He was winning then and he's still winning now. Legend has it that he's never missed a race weekend since he started racing in 1986, too.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/MSRH-08152005/Falt-and-Berglund-at-HMS-in/765053515_EmCFT-XL.jpg

This is, I think, May 1990. The track is Memphis Motorsports Park. I am pitted with Joe Prussiano. I believe the kid in the background is Jeff Covington. I had some podiums at MMP this weekend, but I also had a bad-azz 130 mph crash going into T1 (a few minutes after this picture was taken, I think). That was funÖsort of, but the damage was minimal. Note the hole in the lower fairing is visible in this picture.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/MSRH-08152005/90Memphis-01/765053182_5PAhN-XL.jpg

I took this picture in 1988 at TWS. I am not sure of the month, September, maybe. I am standing in the grandstands area on the front straight near the starter's stand. In those days you could merely walk through the tunnel from the inside of the track to the grandstands. The tunnel is still there and passable, but the gate is always locked now. Anyway, I am peeking my head through a hole in the fence to get this shot of Doug Polen leading Kurt Hall. I can't remember which lap of the race this was, but I know Polen won after a good scrap with Hall.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/MSRH-08152005/PolenHall-at-TWS92588/765053927_Lnvxk-XL.jpg

Linz Leard
01-28-2010, 08:20 AM
March 18, 1995. This is Gordon Miller on the starting line at TWS waiting for the start of the endurance race. Gordon rode for the legendary Northwest Honda team, and for many years they were almost unbeatable.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/002/775319946_U5ZoD-XL.jpg

I'm lazy and don't want to fish out my old newsletters to confirm who I think is in this picture. This is Oak Hill, April 9, 1995, and this is the lead pack of what looks to be a C production or maybe C superbike bike race heading into T7. Normally I'd say that 29 is Sam McDonald, but for some reason, I'm not 100% certain about that. 52 is Steve Isenhower and 5 is Jeff Covington. The rider behind Isenhower in the blue and white leathers and helmet looks a little like James Schaeffer, but I'm not positive. I don't remember who 42 is.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/003/775319948_8eDFo-XL.jpg

May 6, 1995. Back in those days the CMRA was part of WERA, and there was usually a WERA national event or two on the calender. This was a CMRA/WERA national endurance race at TWS, which, of course, drew lots of entries and all the top WERA teams battling for national points. On the front row in the pole spot is the GSXR1100 of Team Valvoline Suzuki, the multi-time national champions. The rider behind the controls is CMRA alumni Michael Martin. Martin made a name for himself in the CRRC/CMRA in the late 1980s, and by the early 1990s he was picked up by John Ulrich's Team Hammer, riding several years for the powerhouse team. Martin is one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet, and deceptively fast. He was also very reliable and rarely crashed. When he retired from racing in the middle 1990s to concentrate on the business (maybe you've heard of M4 exhausts?), he was lauded by John Ulrich as being one of his favorite riders because he could always be counted on to go fast and not crash. Next to Martin is the GSXR of Team Pearls (formerly Team Swine Dudes). I'm not 100% certain who is on the bike, though. On the outside of the first row is, I think, Arclight Racing. Isn't that Pete Martins aboard? I forget who is riding the #7 Honda F2 on the second row, but he doesn't seem as concerned about the pending race start as the front row does. Hmmm. Maybe I should dig out my newsletters...

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/001/775319947_n9myB-XL.jpg

Linz Leard
01-28-2010, 03:15 PM
WARNING! The following pictures are all about ME! I have no shame, and will show vintage pix of not just others, but ME as well! LOOK AT ME!

Anyway, back to the pictures...

This picture was taken, I think, in the spring of 1991. The subject is yours truly, and I am riding Andy Chaudoir's 1988 Suzuki GSXR750 at a rented Oak Hill practice session (RIP). The turn is T6. Andy left to go drive a Mayflower truck around the country for a summer (really), and left his GSXR in my care. That wasn't the brightest move because, well, he said I could ride his bike, and I did and it fell over once or twice and broke a time or two as well. But not on this day. When I think back to the times I rode with Andy, I am reminded that there is chemistry in the world that cannot be described or fully understood. Andy and I were friends in high school, rode together on the streets before we decided to go racing, took rider's school together in late 1987, and, over the years, not only raced against each other many times, but rode as teammates on several occasions on different endurance efforts. We're still friends today. No disrespect to Andy at all, but the results show that I finished in front of him most, if not all of the time, back in the day when we sprinted big bikes together. I remember one race in 1990 where I robbed him of what would have been his first sprint win by sniping him on one of the last laps of the race. I hated to do that, really. I collided with Andy in the kink between T2 and T3 at Oak Hill in the summer of 1989, highsided and crashed at a pretty hefty speed and broke a bunch of little bones in my hand and wrist and other places. My buddies, Dave and Kevin, repaired my bike overnight and I raced the next day anyway. That was the first time - but not the last time - I raced with crunchy bones. Andy didn't go down when I hit him, and I was certainly glad about that. Over the years during many of the endurance efforts, our bikes would often break or someone would crash or meteor would strike out pit area or something else wierd would happen. Apart from each other, though, we had some good luck, but something strange always prevented us from ever having much luck when teamed up. I can't explain that.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/01/775491901_z6sAe-XL.jpg

This picture was taken on August 3, 1997 at Oak Hill. I am chasing Eric Kancir down the front straight between T8 and T1 for the win during the 3-hour mini endurance race. (Note Ericís head buried in the paint as he looks back at me, and note, too, the quite mangled hot pit entry.) The superbike mini of choice then was a Yamaha YSR with an 80cc dirt bike motor in it and all kinds of Calamari parts. Eric's team, The YSR Express, was the 1996 number one plate holder, and took the win over my team in this race, but we finished second and wrapped up the 1997 overall mini endurance championship and the Super 80 endurance championship, taking the number one plate from them.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/02/775491892_CzjD5-XL.jpg

I am not sure when this picture was taken exactly, but I believe it had to be in the spring of 1998. This is Oak Hill again, and I'm going through T7. I'm back riding for the same Super 80 team, and this time weíre wearing the number one plate. Number one plates are heavy, and defending the title that year proved to be difficult for us. When my teammates weren't crashing, our results were good, but we gave the number one plate back to The YSR Express at the end of the season.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/03/775491896_wAGgh-XL.jpg

This picture was taken in late May, 2001. Do you recognize the track? It is Texas Motor Speedway, the big NASCAR venue just north of Fort Worth. This is a picture of the hot pits before the endurance race started. This isn't a CMRA race, this is an RPM event. Most of us know that RPM was a short-lived competitor to the CMRA in the early 2000s, and they were the only motorcycle organization (I think) to ever race at TMS. I believe we only went there this one time, too. The mini track layout was sketchy but the big track was downright scary dangerous. Since this was RPM, I don't remember everyone here, even though many of them were CMRA racers as well. The yellow bike in the background, #67, appears to be Keith Holloman's.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/04/775491872_itzqX-XL.jpg

Chuck Ergle
01-29-2010, 08:38 PM
I remember John Haner went to TMS, I guess for this event; he came back calling it a death trap and said he'd never race there again. This has historically been true of NAP-CAR tracks of less-than-super-speedway size where they try to put a pseudo road course in the infield.

Rich Desmond
01-29-2010, 11:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...This picture was taken in late May, 2001. Do you recognize the track? It is Texas Motor Speedway, the big NASCAR venue just north of Fort Worth. This is a picture of the hot pits before the endurance race started. This isn't a CMRA race, this is an RPM event. Most of us know that RPM was a short-lived competitor to the CMRA in the early 2000s, and they were the only motorcycle organization (I think) to ever race at TMS. I believe we only went there this one time, too. The mini track layout was sketchy but the big track was downright scary dangerous. Since this was RPM, I don't remember everyone here, even though many of them were CMRA racers as well. The yellow bike in the background, #67, appears to be Keith Holloman's.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/04/775491872_itzqX-XL.jpg </div></div>

I remember that race well. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif Scott Levine and I ran the RPM endurance that year, and that was the first race we won (LWSB) There was a bit of a scoring mixup though, and it took a little while (and my now-wife Ashley, who was our scorer, going toe to toe with Sean Clarke :)) to get the results right.
The track management didn't seem to want us there much either, we had the school buses doing the tour on the track, the double booked issue with the Corvette club, Sean actually getting thrown off the property...etc. Plus some scary crashes. Interesting weekend, I'm very glad we didn't go back.

Linz Leard
02-04-2010, 07:56 AM
I talked to Wes Sealy of Sport Cycles of Houston yesterday and he wanted me to post up pictures of one of his old race bikes from the middle 1980s. Wes is a &quot;vintage&quot; racer, having started in the 1970s, and racing through much of the 1980s. He stopped just about the time I started, which was a million years ago. Anyway, the bike is a 1985 Yamaha FZ750, which was imported to Canada before it made it to the US one year later in 1986. Whereas the 1986 US model FZ750 came in a red, white and blue paint scheme, the Canadian models only came in silver and red.

The FZ750 was quite lethal on the race track when first introduced, mostly because it had a very strong motor, the first 5-valve Genesis motor. However, they didn't handle all that well. Gods like Eddie Lawson could ride around that issue, though, and Lawson rode a factory Yamaha FZ750 to a win in the hotly contested 1986 Daytona 200. Lawson's historic win i 1986 would be just about it for the FZ750, though, as the Suzuki GSXR 750, now widely available in the states, quickly showed the FZ the fast line around the race track.

I owned two FZ750s back in the day, and raced one, I am partial to them for nostagiac reasons.

Here's the note that Wes sent along describing how he first got the bike, how he later sold it, and how he found it again after 20 years! Cool story!

&quot;Here is a pic of one of my old fz 750's i rode back in the day. I got it from Yamaha Canada. It was one of the very first Fz's to enter the country because Canada got their's before the usa did and i made arrangements to get it. It is 1 of only a couple that PM machine made custom 1 off wheels and calipers for this race bike. I sold it back in street form to a guy in Lawton Oklahoma in 1990 then he sold it to a guy in Ardmore OK in 1995. I found it on Craigs list back in November by accident out of the Dalls Craigs list. It had only been on there 2 hours when i found it. I never go to Craigs list Dallas area but something told me that day in November to just look and guess what. There it is. I search for Vintage bikes by year and it was 11:30 pm on a Sunday night. I was fixxing to go to bed when i hit 1985 by accident in the search mode. And thats when i noticed a FZ 750 for sale. When i saw it i freeked. I knew it was mine. I called right then and confirmed the history. The guy said he was looking for a bike like an CR 85 for his wife. Well guess what? I just happen to have one. I jumped in my truck the next day and hauled [censored] up there and got it. BAM!!!&quot;

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Wes-Sealys-1985-FZ750/121/780747044_ncrGf-L.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Wes-Sealys-1985-FZ750/106/780747036_wwUC6-L.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Wes-Sealys-1985-FZ750/103/780747052_fQ7vq-L.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Wes-Sealys-1985-FZ750/120/780747040_7az8s-L.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/Wes-Sealys-1985-FZ750/118/780747056_k98BT-L.jpg

Dewayne Davis
02-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Those were fun bikes to ride even though they didnt handle very well at all.... They would not stop....

Tom Anderson
02-04-2010, 08:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Lawson's historic win i 1986 would be just about it for the FZ750, though, as the Suzuki GSXR 750, now widely available in the states, quickly showed the FZ the fast line around the race track.</div></div>

Oh Mr Leard, Those of us VFR faithful- including I'm sure Flyin' Fred, Bubba Shobert, Fast Freddie, and Ron Haslam, as well as Ronnie Lundsford et al in the CRRC- would dispute that the venerable and plentiful GSXR of the day was all that dominate against the mighty V-4. It just lacked in the production numbers department. If Mr Honda would have produced and marketed the VFR as Suzuki did the GSXR, I think we'd be singing a different tune.

But I digress, thanks for your continued articles on this history! I really enjoy it.

Linz Leard
02-04-2010, 10:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Anderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Lawson's historic win i 1986 would be just about it for the FZ750, though, as the Suzuki GSXR 750, now widely available in the states, quickly showed the FZ the fast line around the race track.</div></div>

Oh Mr Leard, Those of us VFR faithful- including I'm sure Flyin' Fred, Bubba Shobert, Fast Freddie, and Ron Haslam, as well as Ronnie Lundsford et al in the CRRC- would dispute that the venerable and plentiful GSXR of the day was all that dominate against the mighty V-4. It just lacked in the production numbers department. If Mr Honda would have produced and marketed the VFR as Suzuki did the GSXR, I think we'd be singing a different tune.

But I digress, thanks for your continued articles on this history! I really enjoy it. </div></div>

Point taken, Tom. And don't forget our own Tryg Westby, who had a very trick VFR back in the day.

But, as we all know, the VFR was a strange beast for racing. It killed in AMA Superbike, but arguably wasn't a huge player in club racing because of the things you mentioned and other things, too. I didn't fully understand Honda and the VFR's direction at the time, and yet I owned a 1987 VFR700 street bike for a while in 1988. Last year Bubba Shobert told me the VFR was a very comfortable race bike, which help make it easy to ride, and I concurred on the comfort level. It sure felt big, slow and heavy by comparison to the Yamaha and Suzuki (respecively), though. You could certainly make VFRs into good race bikes, as Shobert, Merkel, Rainey and other proved at the national level, but unless you had buckets of cash and an inside line to HRC, you were probably struggling to keep up in the club races, a few guys notwithstanding.

Bottom line is that by the time I started racing in late 1987, the FZ750 was basically obsolete (600, too), although a few still kicking around, and the VFR was almost completely MIA. FZRs replaced the FZs (in limited numbers) and Honda, well, Honda decided not to make 750s and concentrated on the (then) killer Hurricane 600s.

Tom Anderson
02-04-2010, 01:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Anderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Lawson's historic win i 1986 would be just about it for the FZ750, though, as the Suzuki GSXR 750, now widely available in the states, quickly showed the FZ the fast line around the race track.</div></div>

But I digress, thanks for your continued articles on this history! I really enjoy it. </div></div>

Point taken, Tom. And don't forget our own Tryg Westby, who had a very trick VFR back in the day.

But, as we all know, the VFR was a strange beast for racing. It killed in AMA Superbike, but arguably wasn't a huge player in club racing because of the things you mentioned and other things, too. I didn't fully understand Honda and the VFR's direction at the time, and yet I owned a 1987 VFR700 street bike for a while in 1988. Last year Bubba Shobert told me the VFR was a very comfortable race bike, which help make it easy to ride, and I concurred on the comfort level. It sure felt big, slow and heavy by comparison to the Yamaha and Suzuki (respecively), though. You could certainly make VFRs into good race bikes, as Shobert, Merkel, Rainey and other proved at the national level, but unless you had buckets of cash and an inside line to HRC, you were probably struggling to keep up in the club races, a few guys notwithstanding.

Bottom line is that by the time I started racing in late 1987, the FZ750 was basically obsolete (600, too), although a few still kicking around, and the VFR was almost completely MIA. FZRs replaced the FZs (in limited numbers) and Honda, well, Honda decided not to make 750s and concentrated on the (then) killer Hurricane 600s. </div></div>

Aside from Tryg, didn't Darnell Dorsey or some of our current other members race them too? The only reason I mentioned Ronnie was because I think his VFR was as trick or close to as trick as Bubba's back then. Not much shortage of HRC parts on the Lundsford bike as I recall.

Man, the Hurricanes were aptly named in my opinion, but good lard were they smooth! I was never fortunate enough to own one of those, but I flogged a few that friends owned.

To me the GSXR was just a MONSTER back then and it took an extremely smooth hand to control one (this coming from someone who raced a ~40hp FT500 Ascot back then...). The 7-11 I rode that belonged to Kevin Ward was at Oak Hill and I made it on to turn one, up the hill, where I wheelied uncontrolably, and shut it down for the rest of the lap; considering actually cutting the track to get back to the paddock...

Those of you that owned/ raced the GSXR back then had some serious bawls IMHO.

The VFR was just a smooth torque monster to me. It was fast enough, had some grin factor with the ability to wheelie in the first couple or three gears, handled really nicely, and the brakes were REALLY good with some &quot;green&quot; or HH pads in there. I loved that bike, and I wish I never would have sold it to Eric Heddles so that I could buy my first SV race bike some 6-7 years ago.

Danny Clark
02-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Just to get Linz going on the FZ again... lol

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=241991&amp;highlight=fz750

Danny Clark
02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Bubba's VFR.... things I noticed were the swingarm was shorter, the front end was pulled up so close to the chin of the fairing that they had to cut the plastics for wheel travel. Special triple clamps, HRC exhaust and carbs etc....

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5403/pic00019oc9.jpg

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1771/pic00024yy7.jpg

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8127/pic00022mn8.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4869/pic00021vi4.jpg

Though I loved the VFR, Linz was right about needing inside connections with HRC to get the good stuff for it.... ultimately that is what killed the bike for club racing. I loved mine.... but I sure was glad when I got my first GSXR!!!

Linz Leard
02-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Tom: I didn't know you sold your bike to Heddles. I work with him (sort of), and used to ride some off-road with him. I saw that bike there one time and he was getting ready to get it gone. That was a couple years ago. I need to ask, but I may know the guy that got it from him.

Danny: The FZ was a nice place to visit, but I don't want to go back there again. Okay, I'm lying, actually. I'd love to have a nice one in the garage for vintage fun, but it's low on the priority list for me.

Tom Anderson
02-04-2010, 04:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom: I didn't know you sold your bike to Heddles. I work with him (sort of), and used to ride some off-road with him. I saw that bike there one time and he was getting ready to get it gone. That was a couple years ago. I need to ask, but I may know the guy that got it from him.

Danny: The FZ was a nice place to visit, but I don't want to go back there again. Okay, I'm lying, actually. I'd love to have a nice one in the garage for vintage fun, but it's low on the priority list for me. </div></div>

Yeah, Eric stole it from me! Actually I think I got the better end of the deal, but yup, that was mine. I had the fiberglass Cobalt Racing solo tail on it along with RC30 upper/ lower fairings, an extra set of carbs ('cause they were a pain in the azz and HARD TO FIND PARTS FOR). I tried to talk Lundsford out of his spare parts for my bike some 8 or so years ago and he wounldn't give up anything.

When Eric bought mine, I had already done the &quot;F2 Conversion&quot; and built up the front end with Racetech stuff, had the Fox Twin Clicker, 17&quot; wheels front and rear (for modern rubber) and a bunch of other goodies. I think it would be a great bike for vintage racing, that engine is still strong and bullet proof (if it's in the same condition).

Linz Leard
02-04-2010, 05:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Anderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom: I didn't know you sold your bike to Heddles. I work with him (sort of), and used to ride some off-road with him. I saw that bike there one time and he was getting ready to get it gone. That was a couple years ago. I need to ask, but I may know the guy that got it from him.

Danny: The FZ was a nice place to visit, but I don't want to go back there again. Okay, I'm lying, actually. I'd love to have a nice one in the garage for vintage fun, but it's low on the priority list for me. </div></div>

Yeah, Eric stole it from me! Actually I think I got the better end of the deal, but yup, that was mine. I had the fiberglass Cobalt Racing solo tail on it along with RC30 upper/ lower fairings, an extra set of carbs ('cause they were a pain in the azz and HARD TO FIND PARTS FOR). I tried to talk Lundsford out of his spare parts for my bike some 8 or so years ago and he wounldn't give up anything.

When Eric bought mine, I had already done the &quot;F2 Conversion&quot; and built up the front end with Racetech stuff, had the Fox Twin Clicker, 17&quot; wheels front and rear (for modern rubber) and a bunch of other goodies. I think it would be a great bike for vintage racing, that engine is still strong and bullet proof (if it's in the same condition). </div></div>

Yep, I know who has it now. He likely isn't going to ever do anything with it, so it could be yours again for the asking.

Tom Anderson
02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Anderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom: I didn't know you sold your bike to Heddles. I work with him (sort of), and used to ride some off-road with him. I saw that bike there one time and he was getting ready to get it gone. That was a couple years ago. I need to ask, but I may know the guy that got it from him.

When Eric bought mine, I had already done the &quot;F2 Conversion&quot; and built up the front end with Racetech stuff, had the Fox Twin Clicker, 17&quot; wheels front and rear (for modern rubber) and a bunch of other goodies. I think it would be a great bike for vintage racing, that engine is still strong and bullet proof (if it's in the same condition). </div></div>

Yep, I know who has it now. He likely isn't going to ever do anything with it, so it could be yours again for the asking. </div></div>hmmmmm, send me the contact info if you can, or just sniff around to see what's up if you wouldn't mind.

Linz Leard
02-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Hereís another from the May 6, 1995 endurance race at TWS. This one more shot of the Valvoline Emgo Team Suzuki entry before the start of the race. I mentioned before that Michael Martin was one of the riders on the team at the time, and his brother, Richard (I think, but it might have been his other brother, Robert) Martin can be seen in the middle of the picture; he was a crewman on the team. Also in this picture is Keith Perry, the long-time tuner for the team. The 5 bike is the Arclight entry.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Valvoline-Emgo-Suzuki/783830697_Kt3LQ-XL.jpg

Hereís more from August 3, 1997. This is one of my favorite pictures, but Iím not going to tell why publically (although Chuckster will probably figure it out, though.) My teammate, Nick, having already run his stint on the bike, is giving me a little scoop on what I can expect when I get on the bike a lap or two from this point. I usually ran anchor on the team and tried to make up time if were down any towards the end of the race. On this day and in this race, we were down a lap when I got on the bike, and I couldnít make any time on the leaders. So we finished second in the race, but that was good enough to wrap up the endurance championship for the season.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/LinzandNick/783830696_G4KV3-XL.jpg

This my friend Andyís 1988 GSXR750 at Oak Hill. This picture was taken in the spring of 1991. 770 was Andyís sprint number (still is, I think), but 70 was the number we were going to use for the endurance race that day. Yep, big bike endurance at Oak Hill. We didnít have too many big bike endurances races at Oak Hill because, well, the track and pits just didnít get along too well with so many bikes on the track at one time. This picture is notable because not long after this, I crashed in someoneís oil in T3 on the first lap of the race (several of us went down, actually). See, I gave the bike a make-over during the off-season, and this day started the systematic destruction of my labors. I would continue to kill this bike over the course of the next few events. Anyway, the red flag came out and the race was restarted, but this bike was done for the day. I canít remember what broke causing our DNF, though. I know that I got broke when I got whacked in the helmet by George Hipsherís footpeg, though. At one time I remembered how many concussions Iíve had. Guess Iíve had one too many.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/AndysGSXR750In1991/783830713_xJRbp-XL.jpg

I didnít take this picture, obviously, but I like it. This is a scan of a Cycle News subscription card from the late 1990s. I had this hanging on garage wall for years, and found it again recently. Name the four riders in the picture. Itís really not that hard, so go for it.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/CyclenewsCard/783830698_7i8WU-XL.jpg

marcus mcbain
02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Cycle News photo...Should have been Roberts, Duhamel, Crevier, Hopkins...and I think the track was Loudon in 1999.

Danny Clark
02-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Roberts, Bostrum, Crevier and Hopkins....

Ty Howard
02-09-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm going with Roberts, Eric Bostrom, Crevier, and Hayes exiting turn 1 at Mid Ohio.

Ty Howard
02-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm pretty sure Hopper was leading and got punted by Roberts on the 3rd lap entering the keyhole.

Dan Blankenship
02-09-2010, 11:38 PM
I am going for none of us. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif

Chuck Ergle
02-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Linz, I have no idea what you're talking about. Those brain cells are dead.

Linz Leard
03-02-2010, 10:25 AM
At TWS, friend and racing old-schooler Dennie Spears handed off some vintage pix and a couple other things to me. He asked if I would scan these items and post them up. Hell yeah, Dennie! Here's the first batch of stuff. Dennie is probably gonna kill me because I forgot some of the details he told me at TWS, so if I get some of these things wrong, fill in the blanks for me. These pix are a nod to the old school, and things were run differently in the old school. These were taken, I believe, between 1984 and 1986. The track is TWS.

This is, I believe, Dennie on his Yamaha RZ350 heading down pit road. He's looking quite fashionable in his bumble bee leathers. The RZs in these years came in yellow and black and red and white, but all the cool kids had the Kenny Roberts signature yellow and black model. (Little known fact: in the middle 1980s, Yamaha sponsored the &quot;RZ Challenge&quot;, a national series for RZ350 racers. Lots of great racers contested the class. Some scrawny kid from Houston, Texas made a name for himself riding like a man on fire in this class. Maybe you know of him? His name was Kevin Schwantz.) Note the grandstands here. Until the Ishin Group gave TWS a makeover over the 1989-1991 timeframe, the stands had color-coded seats. That was sweet.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/345/800820552_6HJ2k-XL.jpg

Dennie told me who this rider was, but I forgot. Doh! If you know, help me out. He's working on his Yamaha RZ350, and it appears as through he's doing an oil change and he's using some bigazz pliers to open the oil fill. Note that the bike still has the stock exhaust and he is running the very premium (for the time) Metzler ME99 rear tire.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/990/800820549_85srk-XL.jpg

Some pictures are worth a thousand words, but others are worth far more. He's an example of the latter. This is the start of an endurance race at TWS sometime in 1985. This, my friends, is a CRRC version of a LeMans start. LeMans starts are inheirantly dangerous, so they are basically defunct now (although we did use one for a couple of &quot;fun&quot; races, the infamous fundraiser from 2005 and the equally infamous pit bike fundraiser from 2009). The bikes were lined up at pit out, and the riders were on the opposite side of hot pit road. When the signal came to start the race, riders rushed across pit road to their bikes, jumped on, make the 90 degree corner out onto hot pit road, and sped off towards T1. There was an obvious amount of mayhem since trying to sqeeze forty motorcycles through a relatively small opening is a physical impossibility. I don't know for sure when the LeMans start was eliminated, but by the time I started racing in 1987, it was effectively gone. Note the shirtless and nearly pantless pit crews giving bikes a shove, and note the large crowd of spectators standing on pit wall hoping to get a glimpse of some serious action. Crazy!

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Start-1/800820551_HNqjx-XL.jpg

Dennie mentioned a couple riders to me in these pix, but I forget who they were. Help if you can. He did tell me that his bike is the #4 bike. It appears to be a Suzuki GS550ES, although he seemed to recall it was something different.

//racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Start-2/800821716_bVyGX-XL.jpg

They just seem to keep on coming, don't they? Aside from the seriously cool race action on the track, note the killer 1985 style the spectators have. Sweet!

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Start-3/800822626_q9Wze-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Start-4/800824013_CeCFS-XL.jpg

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Start-5/800825329_ofqFd-XL.jpg

David Hirsch
03-02-2010, 09:08 PM
The Le Mans starts were fun but crazy. The last one we did was at TWS in I think 1986. BB Montemayor was starting for my team. BB crashed during the start. I could not tell you how it happened but he almost lost his foot. They were fun but crazy dangerous. But that is how we used to roll. I cant say I miss them.

marcus mcbain
03-03-2010, 07:51 PM
There was always one guy that had the high compression pistons and high lift cams...and not only removed the starter motor, but the cams were so advanced...the bike would never start cold...the always fun 30 minutes of entertainment on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Marcus

Tom Anderson
03-04-2010, 09:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anonymous Poster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe someone will see this and post it in the main board.

The second pic is John Davis. He won the national championship in D production (production bikes were not allowed after market pipes) in 1985 I think. He was slower than BB Montemyer (his team mate) but BB didn't have an RZ sprint bike. Both were on my team, Your In On It. No, the first word is not supposed to be spelled &quot;You're&quot;; our team logo was a dog urinating on an RZ350.

All those bikes in the LeMans start didn't go through the pit out opening. They were lined up along the hot pit wall for about 100 yards with the big bikes to the right and the little bikes at the other end. It sounds a little safer that way. It was a dead engine start with a pusher for the bikes that didn't have electric start. Those with electric start had someone hold the bike upright. Devious ones would find a way to start the bike before the rider got to the bike. John Ulrich hated the LeMans starts. I thought they were great.

I checked, my bike was #11, an RZ350 with BB aboard. Back then your number was how you finished overall the year before. these pictures were taken in '85. In '86 we had #4. It's good to have a national champion and someone faster than a national champion on your team.</div></div>

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I know who posted this... thanks for the info!

Linz Leard
03-10-2010, 08:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Anderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anonymous Poster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe someone will see this and post it in the main board.

The second pic is John Davis. He won the national championship in D production (production bikes were not allowed after market pipes) in 1985 I think. He was slower than BB Montemyer (his team mate) but BB didn't have an RZ sprint bike. Both were on my team, Your In On It. No, the first word is not supposed to be spelled &quot;You're&quot;; our team logo was a dog urinating on an RZ350.

All those bikes in the LeMans start didn't go through the pit out opening. They were lined up along the hot pit wall for about 100 yards with the big bikes to the right and the little bikes at the other end. It sounds a little safer that way. It was a dead engine start with a pusher for the bikes that didn't have electric start. Those with electric start had someone hold the bike upright. Devious ones would find a way to start the bike before the rider got to the bike. John Ulrich hated the LeMans starts. I thought they were great.

I checked, my bike was #11, an RZ350 with BB aboard. Back then your number was how you finished overall the year before. these pictures were taken in '85. In '86 we had #4. It's good to have a national champion and someone faster than a national champion on your team.</div></div>

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I know who posted this... thanks for the info! </div></div>

Yeah, that rings the bell. Dennie told me these things but I forgot. Thanks for the updates and corrections!

Linz Leard
03-10-2010, 08:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Anderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anonymous Poster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe someone will see this and post it in the main board.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I know who posted this... thanks for the info! </div></div>

Yeah, that rings the bell. Dennie told me these things but I forgot. Thanks for the updates and corrections!

Linz Leard
03-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Robert Brothers sent me some scans of pix yesterday and asked if I could post them up. I had to convert these to picture files, so there's a bit of quality loss. Sorry about that. Robert didn't supply any stories to go with these pix, so I'll have to provide overview when I can. I know a little, but, as always, would love to hear more from those who have more info.

More pictures later, but here's a start.

I think this was 2000, but it might have been 2002. I can't recall. I do know that Colin Edwards had just won either his first (or his second) WSBK championship, and decided to come out to Oak Hill to hang out for a while. My memory is pertty hazy, but I think the RC51 in the picture was borrowed by Colin to make the parade lap. (For some reason I seem to remember that it belonged to Andre Espillat?) Of course Colin is still no stranger to coming out and hanging with CMRA folks on occassion.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0005/806937204_pErTM-XL.jpg

Not sure of the year here, but this is Robert Brothers having a little fun at TWS. He was serving, I think, as assistant race director/rover at the time. I'm dating this picture to the middle to late 1990s, but don't know for certain. Note that Robert was always the sharp dresser. (Hehe.) This picture reminds me a lot of the famed Vic &quot;Mr. Know-It-All&quot; Krause from Dirt Bike Magazine back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. If you read those rags back then, you'll probably get it.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0006/806937214_6Dcuh-XL.jpg

I'm not sure of the year here, but it's probably between 2000 and 2002. This is John Haner and the turn appears to be T8 at Oak Hill.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0008/806937232_snmsf-XL.jpg

This is a good one here. I can't place the date, but it's probably around 1994 to maybe 1996? Not sure. This is a podium at Hallett, of course, and there's quite a few faces here to recognize. I need help with a couple. Nicky Hayden is front and center here, and stands next to his TZ-250. Danny Dominguez doesn't look thrilled to be here. What's up with that, Danny?

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0007/806937222_AMTPV-XL.jpg

Another one that I can't place for sure in terms of year and rider. I believe this to be the middle to late 1990s, and the track is Hallett. We see that Robert is giving a rider a push back to the pits after a little soil sample (he's still wearing some Oklahoma dirt). I think the rider is Ty-Stranger Thorson (and the team is Bent Racing?), but I am grasping at straws here. I could be waaaaay wrong. (Note Robert is riding his little Honda o-ringed tire mini.)

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0009/806937239_zA2pA-XL.jpg

Linz Leard
03-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Robert Brothers sent me some scans of pix yesterday and asked if I could post them up. I had to convert these to picture files, so there's a bit of quality loss. Sorry about that. Robert didn't supply any stories to go with these pix, so I'll have to provide overview when I can. I know a little, but, as always, would love to hear more from those who have more info.

More pictures later, but here's a start.

I think this was 2000, but it might have been 2002. I can't recall. I do know that Colin Edwards had just won either his first (or his second) WSBK championship, and decided to come out to Oak Hill to hang out for a while. My memory is pertty hazy, but I think the RC51 in the picture was borrowed by Colin to make the parade lap. (For some reason I seem to remember that it belonged to Andre Espillat?) Of course Colin is still no stranger to coming out and hanging with CMRA folks on occassion.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0005/806937204_pErTM-XL.jpg

Not sure of the year here, but this is Robert Brothers having a little fun at TWS. He was serving, I think, as assistant race director/rover at the time. I'm dating this picture to the middle to late 1990s, but don't know for certain. Note that Robert was always the sharp dresser. (Hehe.) This picture reminds me a lot of the famed Vic &quot;Mr. Know-It-All&quot; Krause from Dirt Bike Magazine back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. If you read those rags back then, you'll probably get it.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0006/806937214_6Dcuh-XL.jpg

I'm not sure of the year here, but it's probably between 2000 and 2002. This is John Haner and the turn appears to be T8 at Oak Hill.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0008/806937232_snmsf-XL.jpg

This is a good one here. I can't place the date, but it's probably around 1994 to maybe 1996? Not sure. This is a podium at Hallett, of course, and there's quite a few faces here to recognize. I need help with a couple. Nicky Hayden is front and center here, and stands next to his TZ-250. Danny Dominguez doesn't look thrilled to be here. What's up with that, Danny?

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0007/806937222_AMTPV-XL.jpg

Another one that I can't place for sure in terms of year and rider. I believe this to be the middle to late 1990s, and the track is Hallett. We see that Robert is giving a rider a push back to the pits after a little soil sample (he's still wearing some Oklahoma dirt). I think the rider is Ty-Stranger Thorson (and the team is Bent Racing?), but I am grasping at straws here. I could be waaaaay wrong. (Note Robert is riding his little Honda o-ringed tire mini.)

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0009/806937239_zA2pA-XL.jpg

Linz Leard
03-10-2010, 11:59 AM
More from Dennie Spears:

Back in the day sprint and endurance finalists (meaning 1st, 2nd and 3rd places) were given achievement certificates. Many of us have been around long enough to remember these paper certificates. I have some myself, too. Or, I did. Maybe the silverfish have completely eaten them up now, I don't know. (In the late 1980s and into the early 2000s, championship jackets were also handed out, along with embroidered shirts for a time along with the occassional hats. The economy was ripe then, though.)

In 1986, Dennie won the CRRC LWS championship. Here's a look at his certificate for that championship. Note that the only tracks the endurance races were held at was Green Valley Raceway and Texas World Speedway. Green Valley went belly-up after the 1986 season, I believe.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Cert-01/807038593_VmmoW-XL.jpg

In 1986 Dennie was the third place finisher in the D Production class on a Yamaha RZ350 (I think). Here's his third place certificate for that accomplishment.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Cert-02/807038611_6DDuY-XL.jpg

Many of us old farts remember the plaques that were handed out as trophies. I liked them because they went into boxes better than a trophy did. (Hehe!) Here's a scan of a plaque Dennie's LWP team got for winning a <span style="font-style: italic">national</span> 8-hour endurance at TWS on October 6, 1984. The plaque measures 5.9 inches x 4.2 inches -- it's a killer trophy! I also have some of these, or did. Not sure where they are. Which reminds me that somewhere I have a 3rd place endurance trophy from the 1989 WERA GNFs that's about 6 inches tall. Haha!

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Trophy/807038619_BoyyK-XL.jpg

Here's another nugget from Dennie. Dennie raced with Doug Polen during his formative years in the CRRC. Some years back Polen gave Dennie an autographed picture. The caption reads, &quot;To Denny. Never could have won my world championships without the riding lessons you gave me.&quot; Haha! Good stuff right there!

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Polen-Pic-01/807038625_cJGnY-XL.jpg

Linz Leard
03-10-2010, 11:59 AM
More from Dennie Spears:

Back in the day sprint and endurance finalists (meaning 1st, 2nd and 3rd places) were given achievement certificates. Many of us have been around long enough to remember these paper certificates. I have some myself, too. Or, I did. Maybe the silverfish have completely eaten them up now, I don't know. (In the late 1980s and into the early 2000s, championship jackets were also handed out, along with embroidered shirts for a time along with the occassional hats. The economy was ripe then, though.)

In 1986, Dennie won the CRRC LWS championship. Here's a look at his certificate for that championship. Note that the only tracks the endurance races were held at was Green Valley Raceway and Texas World Speedway. Green Valley went belly-up after the 1986 season, I believe.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Cert-01/807038593_VmmoW-XL.jpg

In 1986 Dennie was the third place finisher in the D Production class on a Yamaha RZ350 (I think). Here's his third place certificate for that accomplishment.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Cert-02/807038611_6DDuY-XL.jpg

Many of us old farts remember the plaques that were handed out as trophies. I liked them because they went into boxes better than a trophy did. (Hehe!) Here's a scan of a plaque Dennie's LWP team got for winning a <span style="font-style: italic">national</span> 8-hour endurance at TWS on October 6, 1984. The plaque measures 5.9 inches x 4.2 inches -- it's a killer trophy! I also have some of these, or did. Not sure where they are. Which reminds me that somewhere I have a 3rd place endurance trophy from the 1989 WERA GNFs that's about 6 inches tall. Haha!

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Trophy/807038619_BoyyK-XL.jpg

Here's another nugget from Dennie. Dennie raced with Doug Polen during his formative years in the CRRC. Some years back Polen gave Dennie an autographed picture. The caption reads, &quot;To Denny. Never could have won my world championships without the riding lessons you gave me.&quot; Haha! Good stuff right there!

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/Polen-Pic-01/807038625_cJGnY-XL.jpg

Linz Leard
03-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Here's a few more from Robert Brothers. More on the way.

This is from September 2000. These are the top three mini endurance teams for the season. Your overall winner, on bike 28, is ACW with Mark Andrews, (a little) Ryan Andrews and Jay Deaton. The second place team is TECC, bike 1, with Chuck Ergle, Tom Hoover, Carton Tanner and Eric Kancir. The third place team that year is Mike Brenner Racing, bike 79, and was formed by Chris Newhouse, Reynaldo Hernandez and Logan Young.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0015/807353153_WUman-XL.jpg

I think this picture is from 1999. It looks like Chad Ramply has taken a tumble on his RS125 at Oak Hill coming out of T7. The bike is readied for the crash trailer while the rider is still on the track and being tended to by the EMS guys.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0016/807353171_fL2ar-XL.jpg

Not sure about this, but I think the year is 2000 and the riders are Ben Davis (429) and Chad Brummett (251). Oak Hill, T7, of course.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0017/807353203_CXgSu-XL.jpg

Linz Leard
03-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Here's a few more from Robert Brothers. More on the way.

This is from September 2000. These are the top three mini endurance teams for the season. Your overall winner, on bike 28, is ACW with Mark Andrews, (a little) Ryan Andrews and Jay Deaton. The second place team is TECC, bike 1, with Chuck Ergle, Tom Hoover, Carton Tanner and Eric Kancir. The third place team that year is Mike Brenner Racing, bike 79, and was formed by Chris Newhouse, Reynaldo Hernandez and Logan Young.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0015/807353153_WUman-XL.jpg

I think this picture is from 1999. It looks like Chad Ramply has taken a tumble on his RS125 at Oak Hill coming out of T7. The bike is readied for the crash trailer while the rider is still on the track and being tended to by the EMS guys.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0016/807353171_fL2ar-XL.jpg

Not sure about this, but I think the year is 2000 and the riders are Ben Davis (429) and Chad Brummett (251). Oak Hill, T7, of course.

http://racer997.smugmug.com/Other/vintage-CMRA/scan0017/807353203_CXgSu-XL.jpg

Wil Kitchens
04-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Linz, former early 80's CRRC racer Randy Cook just started working in my generator department...he said that he and his dad used to print the Inside Line (or printed it a handful of times, or something), and that he's pretty sure he's got a good bit of those laying around along with pictures from 1980ish...I'll see what all I can get from him and post up anything he's got!

Wil Kitchens
04-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Linz, former early 80's CRRC racer Randy Cook just started working in my generator department...he said that he and his dad used to print the Inside Line (or printed it a handful of times, or something), and that he's pretty sure he's got a good bit of those laying around along with pictures from 1980ish...I'll see what all I can get from him and post up anything he's got!

Danny Dominguez
04-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Linz that Hallett pic is from 96. lft to rgt is Marty Coyne,I believe A.J. Schills,Nicky,Michael Dye,and me.The paint was peeling from the sign and got a paint chip in my eye,had to go to the e.r. later to have it removed...This was a weekend I beat Nicky by .001 at the line. Charles Brothers dubbed it the DAVID AND GOLIATH race. Dustin hasnt beat a WORLD CHAMP!!!! Nevermind the fact Nicky was like 14,on a 125 and I was on a 750,home track etc...thats the part I leave out when tellin the story.

Danny Dominguez
04-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Linz that Hallett pic is from 96. lft to rgt is Marty Coyne,I believe A.J. Schills,Nicky,Michael Dye,and me.The paint was peeling from the sign and got a paint chip in my eye,had to go to the e.r. later to have it removed...This was a weekend I beat Nicky by .001 at the line. Charles Brothers dubbed it the DAVID AND GOLIATH race. Dustin hasnt beat a WORLD CHAMP!!!! Nevermind the fact Nicky was like 14,on a 125 and I was on a 750,home track etc...thats the part I leave out when tellin the story.

Christopher Corder
04-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Andre Espillat....Rest in Peace brother.

Christopher Corder
04-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Andre Espillat....Rest in Peace brother.

Dan Blankenship
04-15-2010, 04:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Andre Espillat....Rest in Peace brother.</div></div>

When I obtained my race license through WERA Andre was the instructor, I will never forget what he said about what to do if you have no choice but to run over a fallen rider, &quot;Relax, get off the brakes, and aim for something non vital. The day may come when you have to make that choice and I don't wish that on anyone.&quot; That day came for me a few years back and I wish I could have said that to the rider that ran me over and I think that every new rider should hear those words during their classroom time.

Dan Blankenship
04-15-2010, 04:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Andre Espillat....Rest in Peace brother.</div></div>

When I obtained my race license through WERA Andre was the instructor, I will never forget what he said about what to do if you have no choice but to run over a fallen rider, &quot;Relax, get off the brakes, and aim for something non vital. The day may come when you have to make that choice and I don't wish that on anyone.&quot; That day came for me a few years back and I wish I could have said that to the rider that ran me over and I think that every new rider should hear those words during their classroom time.