PDA

View Full Version : November 1, 2009 Board Meeting Actions

Alan Etheredge
11-02-2009, 08:23 PM
The CMRA Board of Directors met in Dallas on November 1 from 10AM to 4PM. A quorum of Directors was present. Secretary Alan Etheredge and Director of Competition Walter Walker attended as usual (but do not vote on action items). Following is a summary of significant actions:

After long discussion including consideration of member input from the message board and recent town-hall meetings, the Board voted to approve the 2010 season schedule. The schedule will be made public following final confirmation of dates by tracks.

Following a review of financial information and after considering other options the Board voted to raise 2010 Membership Fees. The 2010 full-season license fee will increase $10 to $145 and the full-season Associate Membership fee will increase $10 to $70. In the same action the Board voted to require proof of age (copy of DL, birth certificate or similar) for all membership applications and to require release signatures from both parents of minors. This action will allow the Secretary to move forward with preparation of 2010 License Renewal packages.

The Board voted to develop uniform procedures allowing any interested track-day or rider school organization to apply for certification to offer the CMRA License School. Further action is required to prepare uniform criteria for certification, License School curriculum, Instructor certification procedures and administrative procedures to implement this program as soon as possible.

Other topics discussed included proposed 2010 rule changes, likely entry fee increases and club finances (no formal actions on any of those topics). The next Board meeting will be scheduled with new Board Members as soon as election results are known.

jhammy49
11-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Expert List?

Danny Clark
11-02-2009, 10:23 PM
John Hamlett needs an expert bump! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/laugh.gif

John Orchard
11-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks Alan for posting this information.

Christopher Corder
11-03-2009, 01:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John Hamlett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Expert List? </div></div>

Bad news: we ran out of time on Sunday before we could get to this and had to defer to the seating of the new board.

Good news: I am working on the list right now.....cant sleep.

Danny Clark
11-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks Alan, I agree with John in that seeing these updates is a great thing!

Dan Blankenship
11-03-2009, 03:01 AM
Figured we would see a fee increase...yeah...just food for thought, I know times are hard but you have really got to think of better ways to get the funding other than jumping the price when people are tight as it is. If you make it cost to much then you are really going to be in a deeper hole when less show up.

In conversations that I had a TWS during and after the town hall meeting...one of the subjects that I discussed was &quot;too many people don't know who you are anymore&quot;...at a trackday this weekend talking with the street riders I encounter the pretty common response was &quot;CMRwhaa??&quot; I think certifying any trackday organization that wants to license riders for the CMRA is a great step in the right direction as it opens the time frame up for better access but I think the next idea to follow that should be making our presence known in the motorcycle community.
So here is an idea...if the CMRA can not outright advertise due to tax status then maybe we need to suit up and show up at every trackday from here on out and expand the foot print. Put up a canopy with some pictures of past riders that went on the greatness and let them know we are here and we want you to come play in our sand box too. Thought 2...while at the trackdays give away a free license (classroom time included) for the season to a fast and safe street rider...make a big deal about it...put them in the monthly news letter and pass it out at the next event, even mail the winners a copy with a quarter page picture in it and a bio on the rider just to give them that warm fuzzy. Most of all something that could get them and their buddies to come to the track and spend more to race us and each other. But at the end of the day...we need more bodies in here so that we can keep the cost (I say this with...well the smirk of a crazed fiend) with in reach and not sticker shock people out of the door.
So before I hear the &quot;quit whining...racing is expensive and if you can't afford it don't do it&quot; cr@p...let me just say...that's the first $10...and then it's another $10 or $20 in entry fees...then a gate fee increase. Which in the end makes it all less accessible to the racer. Face it...the first year of racing is brutal cost wise...bike prep, then crash, bike prep, entry fees, crash, duct tape, stock in a zip tie company, tires...and face it most 20 something don't make that big fat paycheck...not like the 30 and up crowd tend to, and I will use tend to lightly.

Dominic Bethel
11-03-2009, 11:16 AM
i dont get why CMRA can't advertise when I see other non profits advertise all the time...

Dan Blankenship
11-03-2009, 12:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dominic Bethel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont get why CMRA can't advertise when I see other non profits advertise all the time...</div></div>

Link does not work. You know I have seen some nice vintage CMRA fliers, but what I am not sure about is if during the WERA days of CMRA if they could do advertising through them or not.

Dominic Bethel
11-03-2009, 01:18 PM
i did not post a link but i have seen Red Cross commercials on the TV. Universities are non profit and they advertise.. A LOT!! oh and dont forget PETA

Christopher Corder
11-03-2009, 01:31 PM
While I am no lawyer, the difference lies in the distinction between a charitable (or for the common good) non-profit and a non-charitable (CMRA, Model Airplane Club, Texas Sportbike Association, ETC.).

Additionally, advertising has the effect of getting insurance companies to view your mission (and your rates) a little differently.

I know it just seems like we always dump on this idea but it has been explored thoroughly and is just not possible for several reasons.

Alan Etheredge
11-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Chistopher is on the right track - the rules differ for charitable organizations like Red Cross, etc vs Non-profit social organizations like the CMRA.

I'd like to clarify ... information I have gotten from tax professionals state that IRS rules do not explicitly totally prohibit advertising by organizations such as ours. The rules in this area are vague and the rulings (case determinations) by IRS on past test-cases are complex and very situation specific.

It is clear that some organizations like ours have had their non-profit status revoked because of some advertising schemes. Thus we have historically tried to not get anywhere near the edges of this issue and risk our tax status.

Dominic Bethel
11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
i understand now Alan however i know an amazing accountant who can get out of tricky situations <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

Dan Blankenship
11-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't think anyone wants to have to invest the time to deal with a sticky situation but maybe a clear answer for the IRS would be the best answer if it hasn't been asked.

In response to Chris...but somewhere a balance has to be drawn between what we do and don't do. And if you do nothing you get nothing, and I think that has been a part of the slide...CMRA has never really thought that they really had to do something until now. The mentality until here lately has been the area is not big enough for two clubs and with the collapse of two that thought has proven out (right or wrong) and that the CMRA is the best because it survived, followed up closely with we are the only game in town. I don't think that in resent years that the club has ever had to struggle for membership or money until the past couple of years with everything that has jacked with the economy, but at any rate here we are. As I have said in another post (or maybe I muttered it in my sleep or after too many beers) I have seen an attitude shift happening here from the first CMRA that I walked into and it is for the better, but in the end we are not fighting for survival with competition with another entity we are struggling with ourselves and how this should or should not be.

cossatot
11-03-2009, 07:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dominic Bethel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i did not post a link but i have seen Red Cross commercials on the TV. Universities are non profit and they advertise.. A LOT!! oh and dont forget PETA </div></div>

I will never, never, never, EVER, forget PETA or HSUS (Humane Society of the United States), I'll guarantee it. And soon, neither will anyone else.

P.S. If you tried the accounting practices of either aforementioned org. you would be in jail.

Dominic Bethel
11-03-2009, 07:14 PM
I want to know how much the CMRA actually makes. I know CMRA is a non-profit but if it were an S Corp how much would actually be reported as profit?

Dominic Bethel
11-03-2009, 07:15 PM
P.S. for those that dont know S Corps only pay taxes on their profits and do not suffer from double taxation like C Corps!

Christopher Corder
11-03-2009, 10:15 PM
I will gladly support any idea anybody has but I cant implement it and club cannot spend money on it. I am out of time and the club does not have the extra money. However, if someone, anyone can show me how it can be done, you have my full support.

Dan Blankenship
11-04-2009, 12:24 AM
So let's start with the low cost stuff...word of mouth! I am going to volunteer for the motorcycle show in Dallas, and drive from Houston to do it...who else is in??
That's item 1...
#2, next to nothing except getting there....who will show up at trackdays and promote the CMRA. From the BOD, approved media and guidelines to work in.
I plan to make the next TWS event at the end of the month and since that is always a popular track, it would be a good time to pound the pavement a bit.

Hector Garza Jr.
11-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I very much agree with Dan. In a time when people are thinking twice about spending on entertainment and hobbies, increasing prices, in my opinion, is not a smart solution. As Dan stated, the CMRA is trying to survive in its own world (no competitors), yet may become its own greatest enemy. Dan makes a great point, in that increased membership and participants is what is needed. An increase in cost is a small solution that can be cancer-isk. (you start small and spread, and spread) As Dan stated, it has started with licensing, next: entry fee, second race fee, gate fee, corner worker fee, at track reg., pre-entry, etc.... with no end in sight (potentially of course). Keep, in mind, may an organization that has started down this path, typically, will not stop at one increase; more will follow.
The solutions the CMRA is searching for need to have a long-term effect, not a band-aid effect (band-aids fall off). Dan's assessment of 1st year cost is correct. 1st year is the heaviest, and the CMRA is compounding that by increasing cost across the board. IMO the CMRA is contributing to the detraction not to the attraction of new members.
Despite it all, this is a hobby. Thus we need to make this activity attractive enough for people to want spend money on this hobby, not think twice about making the expense. If possible new members have to think twice; they have thought one too many times and we have lost them.
Lastly, Dan, I am tentatively planning on making the trackday on Nov. 28th at TWS. Let’s keep in touch, I will certainly volunteer to help. I have 2 canopies and I a willing to have one used specifically for a CMRA both.

Dean Thimjon
11-04-2009, 11:06 AM
I respectfully disagree with raising costs as a bandaid. Regardless of the recession and job market, costs are still going up. Things just cost more...raising prices to offset increased costs is just good business sense...no bandaids involved.

To say that a $10 increase in licensing is a large factor in someone racing is ridiculous. For the sake of argument, I'm going to assume gate and race entry each go up $5. Assume that the average racer enters 4 sprint races per weekend and assume 10 weekends. So that is a total of $260 extra dollars for licensing, gate and race entry fees. That isn't even close to the cost of one set of tires. This is over a season too. How much does the average racer spend over a season...10k maybe...some more and some less. In my opinion, I don't think $260 would turn anyone away.

Dean

Keith Hertell
11-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm at all the Elite TD's @ Harris Hill so I can spread the word there.

Christopher Corder
11-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I have no shame about voting to raise costs. Our costs are rising and we have not had an increase since 2007. Even without the decrease in participation and the sour economy we would still have raised fees to adjust for inflation and increased expenses.

Dan Blankenship
11-04-2009, 11:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dean Thimjon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I respectfully disagree with raising costs as a bandaid. Regardless of the recession and job market, costs are still going up. Things just cost more...raising prices to offset increased costs is just good business sense...no bandaids involved.

To say that a $10 increase in licensing is a large factor in someone racing is ridiculous. For the sake of argument, I'm going to assume gate and race entry each go up $5. Assume that the average racer enters 4 sprint races per weekend and assume 10 weekends. So that is a total of $260 extra dollars for licensing, gate and race entry fees. That isn't even close to the cost of one set of tires. This is over a season too. How much does the average racer spend over a season...10k maybe...some more and some less. In my opinion, I don't think $260 would turn anyone away.

Dean</div></div>

Dean, I disagree with you on point that it is not a band-aid...it is, as the only way right now for the club to cover costs in a shrinking membership is to raise costs for the remaining members to insure survival. And it is a slippery slope to be on that can push those on the edge of not participating out and making it harder to draw new participants in. The harder riskier path would be to reduce fees and see if participation rises in response. Or offer discounts over the pre-entry discount that already exists to riders and endurance teams that make season long commitments to participate in all races. For sprint entries lets say you would have to enter no less than 3 races for the entire season with a choice to drop one weekend, but the commitment money would need to be posted to CMRA before a set date...say before mid season to receive all discounts for the year.

Tracks...I am not sure how this is negotiated but from what I have gleaned out of what was said at the town hall meeting at TWS, tracks are negotiated on a yearly basis. My next question would be could we negotiate a...say...3 year commitment to host a determined amount of races at said facility for a fixed price that is currently less than what we pay now. And then visit and discuss this with all area track owners and see who will work with the idea and even get their input as to how we can work together to make it a better... i.e. more profitable ...situation for all involved.

Dan Blankenship
11-04-2009, 12:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no shame about voting to raise costs. Our costs are rising and we have not had an increase since 2007. Even without the decrease in participation and the sour economy we would still have raised fees to adjust for inflation and increased expenses.

</div></div>

Chris, I know what was done had to be done and after the Town Hall and a hand full of conversations with you I firmly believe you and the sitting BOD are doing the best with what has been dealt to the CMRA, but after seeing this last season and having been around a few years I am going to kick suggestions out and provoke some thought. At the end of the day I want to help and be a part of the solution, because I want motorcycle racing to survive and thrive in this area.

And besides...I want to be around to aggravate people for a few more years and I plan to race until my junked up left ankle says &quot;NO MORE!&quot;

Dan Blankenship
11-04-2009, 12:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith Hertell #11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm at all the Elite TD's @ Harris Hill so I can spread the word there. </div></div>

Good...this is a start.

Now can the BOD supply us with approved materials to put out to the public...PDF form for me is fine as I have no problem stepping up to the plate to print what is needed...just need a guide line so the CMRA is accurately represented.

Christopher Corder
11-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Dan,

Please don't hesitate to throw any and all ideas you have out there for review. We need your input. Please don't get discouraged, we need your &quot;aggravation&quot;

Dan Blankenship
11-04-2009, 12:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dan,

Please don't hesitate to throw any and all ideas you have out there for review. We need your input. Please don't get discouraged, we need your &quot;aggravation&quot;</div></div>

You know, I am happy to give it <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

As for discouraged...that doesn't happen. Call it stupid or brave (or both) but after all of the damage to my appendages from racing and dirt bike riding I should have walked away...but I am still here and determined to do this and do it better everytime.

Tony Ta
11-04-2009, 03:08 PM
great idea about promoting it during a trackday....

but i'm sure you should be asking permission from the trackday organization before you start volunteering. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Gil Epperson
11-04-2009, 04:13 PM
I have been sitting back and listening to alot of good input and agree inflation does bring prices up,issue dead it is an evil necessity. I feel the next major push should be from fellow racers to promote what we do and inform John Q Public. What would help is a list of vendor(for example) That we already get signs,banners and CMRA stuff from that say I could contact and request banners for my canopies,Trailer and other informational items to carry and post as I can.That way the racers wanting to do this can pay(not the CMRA) and since it is being done by individuals not the org,permission is not required and IRS statutes are not violated.
Also as much as I do not like myspace and facebook(necessary evil) if we had some nice CMRA jpegs that we could downlaod and post on our own sites again as individuals promoting what we do which would not cost anyone anything. HTH

Danny Clark
11-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Once I started using Facebook I was posting the races on my events Attending as well as posting Roadracing World Articles that pertained to the CMRA races on it.... I noticed quite a few racers posting CMRA event flyers on their facebook pages as well. The AF1 crew always did a great job promoting the event...

Hector Garza Jr.
11-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Dean, I understand you thought process, however I believe the bigger picture is being overlooked. From what I have been hearing and reading, it is not cost going up, its revenue coming down. With the field of riders coming down it becomes harder for the CMRA to cover cost. Unless I am mistaken, the price for the tracks is set before the season starts, hence the deposits placed to secure a weekend. Then comes the collaterals.
The corretive action then becomes, as Dan stated, to saddle the riders still racing with the price INCREASE needed to make up for the reduce rider participation. In the world of big business cost increase is always the solution. And those organizations with the &quot;want&quot; products versus the &quot;need&quot; products end up closing their doors. (read the news)
The CMRA needs to look for a far more corrective long term solution. I understand the problem is NOW. Cost are affecting NOW. However, it is too simple to lose sight of tomarrow trying to fix today; thus making the problem even larger.
Chris, I have no doubt that at some time prices need to be increased. But, becasue there has been no increase in 2 years is not a reason or solution for raising prices. I would hate to believe or think that the CMRA will have an automatic price increase every 2 years, <span style="font-style: italic">simpley because there has not been an increase</span>. I am sure this is not what you meant, but the infrence from you comment can be easily made.
I am not pretending to have all the answers, I just feel, known, increase in prices at a time like this is not the solution.

Christopher Corder
11-05-2009, 09:35 AM
As I wrote, prices have not increased in three (07, 08, 09) years yet the cost of everything we have to buy to put on races has gone up substantially in that same two years (gas, insurance, services, etc.) The point is that even without a dip in entries we would have still have had to increase to adjust for inflation.

We offer a stellar product for a low cost so I have no concern about raising the cost now because it is what is needed for our survival and success.

Dean Thimjon
11-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Perhaps this is overlooking the big picture but as a small business owner, I have to adjust my retail prices or decrease my inventory investment in order to adjust for the increased costs from UPS, Fedex, Heating, cooling, electrical ect. No magic pill is going to save it in the long or short run without adapting to the currect market environment. Same is true for the CMRA. If costs are going up (gas alone is huge), then either they cut operating expenses or increase revenue. CMRA has done a great job cutting operating expenses to the bare minimum...now they are forced to look at ways to increase revenue. I don't think it is short sided to increase licensing fees...that is guaranteed income. I do think the club needs to explore these other options to increase participation but those are not a guarantee. Hope is not a method...it doesn't generate any additional revenue. &quot;If you build it, they will come&quot; only works in the movies...we need to stand on firmer ground.

Dean

Tom Anderson
11-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I've seen some really good ideas here over the years, and some ideas that I wish were implemented but just not possible for whatever reason.

One thing is that I can help with one aspect of Dan's ideas and that is to provide a place for exposure at Lone Star Track Days aside from our licensing program to allow members to advertise/ recruit for the CMRA. I will work with the owners to make something happen- no promises, but perhaps we can work in an incentive for those persons too.

Dan Blankenship
11-06-2009, 09:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony Ta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great idea about promoting it during a trackday....

but i'm sure you should be asking permission from the trackday organization before you start volunteering. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif </div></div>

You know...I am thinking that LSTD should have no problem with it since we get there captive audience prices to practice before every single race except Hallett (where the price for track time hasn't changed since the first time i went there in 2002). and Dave over at RideSmart should go for it since he is a class sponsor and at the end of the day it would help to further his business desire to provide a support structure to the club.

Dan Blankenship
11-06-2009, 10:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I wrote, prices have not increased in three (07, 08, 09) years yet the cost of everything we have to buy to put on races has gone up substantially in that same two years (gas, insurance, services, etc.) The point is that even without a dip in entries we would have still have had to increase to adjust for inflation.

We offer a stellar product for a low cost so I have no concern about raising the cost now because it is what is needed for our survival and success. </div></div>

Chris...we saw the grids this year and I know there was a decline over the last two especially after the fuel price explosion fiasco...and I can consed some inflation. But the fixed cost are the same whether 5 or 500 show up, sad thing is we are closer to 5 than 500, and at that point the smaller number has to bear the load. I am not a finance guru but I can count on my fingers and sleep at the Holiday Inn Express.

Hector Garza Jr.
11-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Reply to: chriscorder325

My apologies, 3 years.

As for inflation, please bear in mind that inflation affects all. Every racer who shows up on any given weekend has to absorb the increase cost of fuel (to and from a race AND to race) of food, lodging, maintenance, etc... It is a problem shared by all.

As for a stellar product, the quality of the product has never come into question; at least not that I have heard of. Walter, Allen, the entire weekend staff at the CMRA are a class act. I can’t imagine anyone questioning the product they produce. Yet, this product is a want, not a need. A product purchased by disposable income, ONLY. (well at least by the wise).

But in the end Chris, shame is not an issue. It is understandable that decisions have to be made. Decisions you will have to stand behind; not only in the short term, but long term as well. Now, raising the prices as far as you may think necessary will not secure or work to improve grid numbers. AND, if the grids do not increase and/or continue to decline, I can only imagine that the CMRA will have to take far more aggressive action; Maybe not waiting 3 years for the next price increase.

Hector Garza Jr.
11-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Reply to: Dean Thimjon

Dean, you observation is correct in part. [cut operating cost or increase revenue]. And you are correct in cost being cut to a minimum, as evidence by some of the post here. SO you turn to increase revenue. BUT, is increasing prices truly guaranteed income? It certainly is not if you continue to decrease you numbers even further. In my opinion, when you have a product that is defiantly a “want” you need to secure the core of customers you presently have, FIRST. Then go and find the new customers that will increase your numbers. You can’t lose sight of the forest for the trees; or however it goes…

Finally, your right, hope is not a method. And “if you build it they will come” is for the movies. With that, the definition chosen for “increase revenue” is obviously going to be the deal maker or deal breaker, and only time will tell.

Sheila Paul
11-10-2009, 09:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dean Thimjon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I respectfully disagree with raising costs as a bandaid. Regardless of the recession and job market, costs are still going up. Things just cost more...raising prices to offset increased costs is just good business sense...no bandaids involved.

Dean </div></div>
There is allot of good discussion here to help CMRA. I agree that the race fees going up $10 is not going to break any one. We as racers should be budgeting over the off season to race so we make sure we add that extra into our budget.

I don't think we want to raise gate fees though. Racers have already paid their entry fees, then they get hit with CMRA gate fees and then track gate fees. This can become costly especially if you bring several people to help you in the pits.

Also, we are trying to get people out to watch the races in hopes that they may race with us one day (soon). If the gate fees are higher, then a potential racer and maybe their family wanting to come and watch a race may not show up due to the cost to get in.

Just my thoughts.

Dan Blankenship
11-10-2009, 10:59 AM
And thinking about costs....why do practice days cost what they do from LSTD when Ridesmart charges $20 to $30 less for the same track? And before the &quot;safety&quot; smoke screen gets put out there, I see some of the same corner staff working both events, and both do a good job for the service that they provide.
I think it is time to competitively bid out services and/or pricing for said service in the interest of the membership. Or justify the cost difference.

henrymtz
11-10-2009, 07:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Blankenship</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it is time to competitively bid out services and/or pricing for said service in the interest of the membership. Or justify the cost difference. </div></div>

Are you referring to licensing? As I thought the desire was to add more opportunites for people interested in racing to take the class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Blankenship</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And thinking about costs....why do practice days cost what they do from LSTD when Ridesmart charges $20 to $30 less for the same track? And before the &quot;safety&quot; smoke screen gets put out there, I see some of the same corner staff working both events, and both do a good job for the service that they provide. </div></div>

Two words - Rider Caps... It's common knowledge that LSTD has smaller groups (or rider caps) on groups. Smaller groups = higher price.

Safety in this capacity is subjective... some feel that substantially larger rider caps are unsafe due to the sheer volume of traffic out on the track at the same time. While others do not. In either case however, I don't think it has anything to do with corner workers. ?...

Dan Blankenship
11-11-2009, 11:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Henry Martinez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you referring to licensing? As I thought the desire was to add more opportunites for people interested in racing to take the class.</div></div>

No, I am referring to the cost/price that the racer pays for practice time. This has nothing to do with licensing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Henry Martinez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two words - Rider Caps... It's common knowledge that LSTD has smaller groups (or rider caps) on groups. Smaller groups = higher price.

Safety in this capacity is subjective... some feel that substantially larger rider caps are unsafe due to the sheer volume of traffic out on the track at the same time. While others do not. In either case however, I don't think it has anything to do with corner workers. ?...</div></div>

On normal trackdays...yes I can see rider caps for a number of reasons, I don't care to reiterate them as there has been enough discussion on those issues. But on race weekend race groups should be...or I hope they are...reserved for racers only and at that point there should be no need for caps (given the grids lately) as most racers should be comfortable with passing or being passed without issue.
As far as cornerworkers....they are a big safety issue as they are the safety control on the track and the other set of eyes to warn you about trouble ahead or the wake of crap that is falling off your bike. And in another post safety between the providers was brought into question and one of the key safety elements is track or race control for any event. That is why I introduced the cornerworker aspect.