PDA

View Full Version : Can We Get Some Real Classic Racing in Texas

Dan Blankenship
11-06-2009, 09:26 PM
There s quite a clamoring going on at the WERA board of vintage races that need a place to race their old vintage bikes in Texas. My though is that maybe CMRA could work out some sort of agreement with WERA to allow Vintage National points to be collected here to transfer to the Vintage National Championship Series. And maybe this could help fill the grids more and give us some cool old hardware to look at.

Tom Anderson
11-06-2009, 10:19 PM
That would be awesome!

Gil Epperson
11-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Only if they agree to honor us Classic racers with points as they used to in Hallett but pulled that on us a few years back and I for one would welcome the chance for thier points and to race against them here as well as in the Nationals.

Jesse Davis
11-07-2009, 09:14 AM
problem is, it's rarely "cool old hardware". More commonly you get to see greasy motorcycles that belong at a rat rod show.

Dan Blankenship
11-07-2009, 11:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jesse Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">problem is, it's rarely &quot;cool old hardware&quot;. More commonly you get to see greasy motorcycles that belong at a rat rod show.</div></div>

Sorry that is what you think about vintage bikes...I take it you never take a good look in the pits now at some of the battered new crap that shows up. I would like to see the racers like Gil and all of the other riders that showed up in Classic and the riders that came mid season to Cresson having the ability to compete in suitable classes for the bike and access to compete for a National Title for the work that they do to keep old hardware alive.

And if you take a look at the WERA BBS vintage section there are not only WERA riders looking for access but ARHMA riders too, these people are traveling to make the races to get points since there is nothing in their own back yard to go to since CMRA has typically over the years only catered to newer generation motorcycles. So in a time of rising cost and declining grids adding in a group of riders that are in your own backyard would add much needed $$$ to perpetuate the goal of racing in Texas.

Chadwick Redmon
11-07-2009, 01:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jesse Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">problem is, it's rarely &quot;cool old hardware&quot;. More commonly you get to see greasy motorcycles that belong at a rat rod show. </div></div>

Obviously you are not familiar with this piece of kit.
http://www.hart-photography.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&amp;viewImage=839774

Keith Hertell
11-07-2009, 06:43 PM
I think we need the Vintage class back, no need add another race, just throw it in w/ ESS a mini race or w/ classic.

Wil Kitchens
11-07-2009, 06:45 PM
I'll be running a 1990 Honda Hawk NT650 next year...does that count as a 'classic'? It's old as f*** if that helps, lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/CRVTEC/oldschool-1.jpg

Rich Desmond
11-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Vintage is one of those things that everybody thinks is a good idea, but no one actually supports. At least not in terms of physically rolling a bike onto the grid. We used to have a Vintage class, and IIRC entries were extremely thin. Like 1 or 2 bikes, sometimes none.
Maybe if a deal was worked out with WERA so that points counted towards a GNF entry it would be better. I wouldn't bet on it though. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Gil Epperson
11-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Well I can not see why we can't work something out it was that way at Hallett for years and it might add to the Classic races as well as D and E classes as well,maybe for a race or 2 in Texas and hallett as i know a few of the Wera guys who run with us at Hallett I am sure they would like to see those points count as well. Plus we have some strong riders that can represent the CMRA quite well given the chance.Between riders like Erzal,Vinson,Garza,Gamba,Cameron,Dave,Walter,mysel f and a few new ones it would be nice to show what we can do,especially if we throw in a dose of Dustin D LOL.

http://www.foto41.com/Central-Motorcycle...587_Ty6UM-XL-LB (http://www.foto41.com/Central-Motorcycle/2009-Season-Champion-Photos/Junior-Motard/10123116_2uFJX#699918587_Ty6UM-XL-LB)

Jesse Davis
11-07-2009, 10:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Blankenship</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jesse Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">problem is, it's rarely &quot;cool old hardware&quot;. More commonly you get to see greasy motorcycles that belong at a rat rod show.</div></div>

Sorry that is what you think about vintage bikes...I take it you never take a good look in the pits now at some of the battered new crap that shows up. </div></div>

oh no, believe me, i do. and thats even more disappointing. im just saying that &quot;vintage&quot; bikes are usually just a oil-down waiting to happen.

Dan Blankenship
11-08-2009, 01:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jesse Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Blankenship</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jesse Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">problem is, it's rarely &quot;cool old hardware&quot;. More commonly you get to see greasy motorcycles that belong at a rat rod show.</div></div>

Sorry that is what you think about vintage bikes...I take it you never take a good look in the pits now at some of the battered new crap that shows up. </div></div>

oh no, believe me, i do. and thats even more disappointing. im just saying that &quot;vintage&quot; bikes are usually just a oil-down waiting to happen.</div></div>

I refer back to Chad's oil layer...as with any other bike that goes on the grid it is up to tech to pass or fail it, since thy have to meet the same safety requirements.

Rich as far as entries being better if national point were at stake...you would be suprised what some of these guys will do to cherry pick points out of other regions that they think are weaker to go to GNF with perfect points since every WERA vintage regional race scores national points.

Like said before there are vintage racers in Texas that are traveling out of the area to get points for WERA Vintage National or AHRMA and a bunch of others that tossed in the towel and mothballed their bikes when WERA Vintage went away in this region.

If the BOD wants to talk about this I know who to talk to to make this a reality and I know there is interest from the other side. I don't know the business side of it...not my deal but I can help to facilitate.

And who know...I might have to go dig up a Vintage weapon.

mark niemi
11-08-2009, 09:56 AM
i think we should add the vintage class.
what can it hurt?
just stick it on the schedule,advertise it a little bit and see what happens.
if nobody shows,big deal.
there's a 100% chance it will not work if we DON'T do it.
and maybe there's a small chance it could grow if we do.
we have vintage mx around here and alot of those guys are willing to travel farther to race.
heck, we had brad lackey and jim pomeroy come to our town of 22,000 one year.
it can also give context to where we are now with our machinery.
and it could possibly bring out some spectators.
and with the current sanctioning bodies' climate, it offers us a chance to show them up.
everyone talks about the history of the club and how relevant it is.
what about the history of our sport?

Dan Blankenship
11-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Thank you Mark, this is the spirit we need to have. For the most part a bunch of these vintage guys are in the group that have money (30 to 50 somethings) but just don't want to do the speeds or spend the money associated with running in the premier classes. Or like me, my 01 Aprilia will be around until it's a pile of dust in the garage before I sweep it up and replace it.

As for grids, these bikes can slot into existing classes without adding new races to the structure.

Dan Blankenship
11-08-2009, 12:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil Kitchens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be running a 1990 Honda Hawk NT650 next year...does that count as a 'classic'? It's old as f*** if that helps, lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/CRVTEC/oldschool-1.jpg</div></div>

Yep..that's a Vintage bike.

Dustin Dominguez
11-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Old bikes are awesome!!!!
http://www.foto41.com/Central-Motorcycle...7912_ZaNJX-A-LB (http://www.foto41.com/Central-Motorcycle-RoadRacing/Hallett-Racing-Circuit-July/D-SuperBike-ExNov/5593176_63cXz#343167912_ZaNJX-A-LB)

Ryan Warren
11-09-2009, 11:27 AM
personaly i wouldnt race in it, I have too many bikes to race as it is, but Id like to see a vintage class.
http://www.foto41.com/Central-Motorcycle...672115315_GhQxR (http://www.foto41.com/Central-Motorcycle/Oak-Hill-Raceway-September-26/Super-Motard-Clubman/9872947_3oFfn#672115315_GhQxR)

Christopher Corder
11-09-2009, 11:37 AM
I love vintage racing and the idea of keeping these bikes alive, on the track, where they belong.

Dan Blankenship
11-09-2009, 12:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love vintage racing and the idea of keeping these bikes alive, on the track, where they belong.</div></div>

So is it possible to make this an item for the BOD to consider and act on to try to move forward with this for next season? This way we could spread the word far enough in advance to start attracting riders in.

Christopher Corder
11-09-2009, 12:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Blankenship</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love vintage racing and the idea of keeping these bikes alive, on the track, where they belong.</div></div>

So is it possible to make this an item for the BOD to consider and act on to try to move forward with this for next season? This way we could spread the word far enough in advance to start attracting riders in. </div></div>

Yes. We have a meeting in a couple of weeks.

Danny McCraw
11-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Yes I have a 87 vfr 700 does that count as well?? I'll wipe off the cobwebs!

Dan Blankenship
11-10-2009, 10:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dannymccraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I have a 87 vfr 700 does that count as well?? I'll wipe off the cobwebs! </div></div>

In like Flynn...and Steve Isenhower is a great resource for that bike as he pilots an 86 VFR 750 that won the WERA Vintage 6 National title in 01.

David Grant
11-10-2009, 04:33 PM
As a fellow HawkRacer, I look forward to racing in the 'new' Formula OS (Old School) in the 2010 season...
...even if that means it is in name only and I race in existing classes. It's still fun, relatively cheap, and a hoot to be on track with a bike built from parts discarded from my old toaster.

Dan Blankenship
11-10-2009, 04:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Grant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a fellow HawkRacer, I look forward to racing in the 'new' Formula OS (Old School) in the 2010 season...
...even if that means it is in name only and I race in existing classes. It's still fun, relatively cheap, and a hoot to be on track with a bike built from parts discarded from my old toaster.
</div></div>

Bring it on...and if you know more people let them know! I want to something better than what has been done in the past with Vintage/Classic and not just slotting these bikes into to a lump sum Classic group or shuffling them off to Clubman.

Ben Phillips
11-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Problem is... What you guys think as classic (Nighthawk, for example) is not what others may think as classic (1974 Norton Commando 850). Although a &quot;British&quot; class would be a great idea to take up some AHRMA slack.

Besides, you might get to catch a glimpse of Barbara Conner....

Danny McCraw
11-11-2009, 12:28 AM
That would be antique!! Ha ha ha !! Just kidding, I think a lot of people have older bikes that would be fun to race for fun...
My interceptor just sits most of the time, would lke to race it aginst similar bikes ! I mean isn't that club type raceing?

Danny McCraw
11-11-2009, 12:34 AM
How do get in touch with him??

Dan Blankenship
11-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Since WERA Vintage rules host a broader spectrum of bikes as compared to ARMHA, which really doesn't have much for 80's through early mid 90's bikes, the WERA rules are the guideline that I want to use. This would also fall a bit closer in line to what we are seeing show up at the club now, ex. F2's, F3's, Hawk's, Super Hawk's and maybe an odd Kanatuna, although I would like to and envision seeing older machines from the 60's and 70's or earlier if they come.
The complete deal that I want the BOD to consider is getting WERA affiliation for this so that not only our racers can compete in the Grand National Final's but other racers are more enticed to come to our races chasing point and/or money. And maybe on day we can see a WERA National here in Texas again.

Ty Howard
11-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Ben. Classic is any bike that isn't equipped with fuel ejection and upside down forks? Right? LOL!!!!

Dan Blankenship
11-11-2009, 03:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ty Howard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ben. Classic is any bike that isn't equipped with fuel ejection and upside down forks? Right? LOL!!!! </div></div>

Ty...your now old enough to have ridden something that would now be considered classic...hope that makes you feel a little older so you can slow your *ss down so the rest of us can catch you! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Ryan Ambrose
11-12-2009, 07:05 PM
If it is liquid cooled it is not classic haha. The AMA vintage has a gen x superbike class that is made for F2, Sling shot GSXR, etc. Not to many entries this year but would be cool to see some more.

TexasTechRacer
11-13-2009, 01:02 AM
Hello everyone. I finally got registered for your forum. I'm very excited about the talk of bring vintage racing to texas. A friend of mine and I raced in Cresson this summer on CB350 Hondas and had a Great time. We had to race in clubman and light weight twins and held our own pretty good with some of the slower SV's. It would be cool to actually have some vintage classes combined with these. Your one local guy Ryan Ambrose really knows how to ride his old Triumph. We race in the SMRI in New Mexico and this year they had very good turn outs in the vintage classes. I like the idea of two rounds having some vintage classes to drum up more interest in the vintage classes. We went to the last race in AHRMA at Barber and was amazed of all the texas riders that had pre-entered for that race but didn't see any of them in Cresson. Lets keep the ball rolling.

Dan Blankenship
11-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Ok...via a message on the WERA board I have been given a website where there is plenty of vintage activity so that if the decision is made to create a better classic bike structure @ CMRA we can post to it to advertise the classes.

http://www.vintagebikeracing.com/