PDA

View Full Version : 2010 REVISED Season Schedule Posted

Alan Etheredge
11-09-2009, 12:14 PM
The Revised 2010 Season Schedule (http://www.cmraracing.com/pdf/2010/Schedules/2010_Schedule_Rev_12-31.pdf) is now posted for download. THE SCHEDULE WAS REVISED 12/31/09

Highlights include:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc"> the first race is now to be held at TWS and includes a big-bike endurance race No racing on Holiday Weekends except the traditional Memorial Day for travel from Hallett. Ten-race big and mini sprint season A 6-hour big-bike endurance at TWS A 12-hour formula-mini endurance at Oak Hill [/list]
The exact hours of endurance events may be adjusted before the first event, but tracks and dates are firm commitments.

Rich Desmond
11-09-2009, 02:35 PM
A big thanks to the BOD for getting this set so soon. I can remeber some years we were into January before the schedule was out.

I do wonder about the 8 hour though. Was there really a ground swell of support for that??

Dan Blankenship
11-09-2009, 04:28 PM
God...6 hours was enough, 4's and 5's were perfect.

David Roy
11-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Endurance class changes?

bobkane
11-09-2009, 05:38 PM
are we doing mini-sprints at TWS rounds again?

Christopher Corder
11-09-2009, 05:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Desmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I do wonder about the 8 hour though. Was there really a ground swell of support for that?? </div></div>

yes

Christopher Corder
11-09-2009, 05:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Roy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Endurance class changes?

</div></div>

still being discussed. probably nothing until after the next BOD meeting in December.

Christopher Corder
11-09-2009, 05:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobkane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are we doing mini-sprints at TWS rounds again? </div></div>

yes

Dewayne Davis
11-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I think an 8 hour at the World is great but I cant say I would want to do a 12hr mini (WOW) at Oakhill.... And a BIG thanks the CMRA for getting this out so quickly ... It really helps with the planning for next year...... Hats off to the CMRA for another job well done....

Bryan Altmeyer
11-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Did I read that right... 12 hour mini endurance! WOW!

Tom Anderson
11-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Love the 8 hour, can't wait already!

Rich Desmond
11-09-2009, 09:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Desmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I do wonder about the 8 hour though. Was there really a ground swell of support for that?? </div></div>

yes </div></div>

Well then I'll just shut the heck up. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Christopher Corder
11-09-2009, 11:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Desmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Desmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

yes </div></div>

Well then I'll just shut the heck up. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif </div></div>

sorry Rich, I was in a hurry. The longer answer is that a number of teams/individuals asked that one long race be brought back.

Dwayne Brown
11-09-2009, 11:25 PM
woooo hooooo yea i might get a chance to race in 10

SV88
11-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Sounds like it might be worth the trip down from Chicago to watch the end of the 12 hr mini race to see the riders falling off or filling up their helmets!!

But seriously 'Wilkins Extreme Racing' is really excited about next season's BBE and are planning to bring it.

The team includes George Linhart (Chicago - Bank of America Sr. VP) who started his racing career with CMRA on an F2, 10 years ago and David Maskell (Houston) who became a novice this year on his Daytona and I. This year, we had help from Gavin Williams (2 races), John Houck and Paul Wood. We may use a couple of guest riders (ringers) next year.

I'm going to have to get into serious shape to indure those long summer races in the Texas heat. Rode home in 38F last night!!

Stephen

Craig Montgomery
11-11-2009, 05:54 PM
I'd say with a 12 hour endurance race and no big bike activity on Saturday CMRA should designate that weekend mini only. 12 hours.... youch <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

Rich Desmond
11-11-2009, 06:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Desmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Desmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

yes </div></div>

Well then I'll just shut the heck up. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif </div></div>

sorry Rich, I was in a hurry. The longer answer is that a number of teams/individuals asked that one long race be brought back. </div></div>

No worries Chris, short and sweet is fine. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif
I was just kind of surprised to see the 8 hr, and the 8th endurance round, given all the earlier chatter about possibly cutting back hours and maybe even race weekends in light of the economy.
I'm no fan of the 8 hr but if that's what the club as a whole wants we'll line up for it. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Dan Blankenship
11-11-2009, 07:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Desmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
No worries Chris, short and sweet is fine. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif
I was just kind of surprised to see the 8 hr, and the 8th endurance round, given all the earlier chatter about possibly cutting back hours and maybe even race weekends in light of the economy.
I'm no fan of the 8 hr but if that's what the club as a whole wants we'll line up for it. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif</div></div>

Just get Randy into quick change mode.

Christopher Corder
11-11-2009, 09:20 PM
One of the things that we are tying to do is communicate with the membership in a more frequent manner about bod meetings and such. That being said, if we have to explain every decision it may take some time to respond to everybody. My reason for writing this is to let some who are waiting on me for responses to PM's know that I am not ignoring you, just way to busy to explain the minutiae of every action item. I am buried starting up a new company.

I should have more time this weekend to respond if you can all be patient. -CC

Chuck Ergle
11-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I raced in the only two other 12 hour events for minis, held in the mid 90s at Denton. Big fun was had by all, especially after it started raining during the first one (that track is like grease in the rain). Large turnouts, and low attrition, even though before the first one teams had planned for engine changes, tire changes, etc. We started at noon and finished at midnight, then the real party started. Teams had to furnish scorers and cornerworkers, and both events went like clockwork.

An 8 hour big bike event is a manly man's endurance race, especially in August.

Linz Leard
11-12-2009, 11:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chuck Ergle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I raced in the only two other 12 hour events for minis, held in the mid 90s at Denton. Big fun was had by all, especially after it started raining during the first one (that track is like grease in the rain). Large turnouts, and low attrition, even though before the first one teams had planned for engine changes, tire changes, etc. We started at noon and finished at midnight, then the real party started. Teams had to furnish scorers and cornerworkers, and both events went like clockwork.

An 8 hour big bike event is a manly man's endurance race, especially in August. </div></div>

The innagural 1996 race, while planned as a 12 hour, turned out to be only a 10 hour due to the heavy rains, lightning, hail, and wind that kicked in around 10 p.m. The next day, Sunday, was a brilliant and beautiful, though. It was a freaking blast!

Keith Hertell
11-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Who's that Chuck guy?

Does he even race?

cossatot
11-12-2009, 01:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith Hertell #11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who's that Chuck guy?

Does he even race? </div></div>

Nope, just a poser. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/whistle.gif

Walter Walker
11-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Maybe that Chuck guy would consider coming out of retirement for one last 12 hr.

Wil Kitchens
11-12-2009, 03:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craig Montgomery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say with a 12 hour endurance race and no big bike activity on Saturday CMRA should designate that weekend mini only. 12 hours.... youch <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif </div></div>

Why? One of the only reasons that I do any mini riding is to have something to do on Saturday when there's not a big bike endurance...

Trackday Friday, minis on Saturday, big bike sprints Sunday...thats' a typical no-BB-endurance weekend...I wouldn't make the drive up for just a mini endurance, and I have a feeling I'm not the only racer that feels that way. Nothing against the minis, but it's not my main focus...

That, and with a Mini event on Saturday but NO events scheduled on Sunday, the CMRA would be losing the entry fees from all the big bike racers who would otherwise be sprinting...

just my .02

Norm McDonald
11-12-2009, 04:45 PM
The schedule shows Mini and Big Bike sprints on Sunday

Craig Montgomery
11-12-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't race minis and I currently don't run endurance so practice (on a big motorsicle) the day before sprints is important. Its also difficult to take off every Friday before a race weekend to practice. I think the club had 2 options givin the state of the economy this year 1) consolidate the race schedule and ease the financial burden on the racer or 2) Increase the number of races and expand some of the endurance race times and see what happens. I like the first option but the latter was chosen. I'll still probably race every race though. Now that I think about it Iím actually cool with no big bike activity at Oak HIll on Saturday. The less time I gotta spend on a 1000 at that place the better.

ROBERT BLEVINS
11-12-2009, 08:40 PM
very good point Craig, i think there should be a cmra sponsored practice the day before every event. If we want to ease some of the financial burden we can do so buy not practicing on Friday this would save a lot of money. The problem is if we practice on Friday and do not race minis on Saturday we waste a full day and all expenses to be their. Run the endurance race and have a few practices for big bikes this would make it worth being there on Saturday. In my opinion having a 12hr mini race is a very bad business decision ,look at how many teams there were at the first race and how many teams were at the last race. In a 12hr race almost every bike will have to be rebuilt after the race and how many teams will blowup, so if we are trying to make this more affordable we just made it more expensive. I think this will really hurt the club at the end of the year.

Christopher Corder
11-12-2009, 08:56 PM
5 hr mini: 32 teams
2 hr mini: 29 teams
8 hr mini: 52 teams
3 hr mini: 28 teams
3 hr mini: 35 teams
Avg 35.2 teams with 8 hour
Avg 31 teams without 8 hour

6 hr BB: 23 teams
6 hr BB: 32 teams
5 hr BB: 27 teams
6 hr BB: 25 teams
4 hr BB: 22 teams
4 hr BB: 24 teams
Avg 26 teams

Not only has mini endurance outperformed BB in entries but we have especially high entries on the long crossover races. This alone makes be believe that a 12 hours IS a good idea.

Chuck Ergle
11-12-2009, 09:23 PM
It baffles me that experienced racers, who have often done hundreds of laps on the same track, most times on the same bike (you're excused if you are on a new bike that's never seen that particular track), feel the need to practice the day before, or even (God forbid) all day Friday (for you track day converts, it's really time to let go).

A few laps on race morning to re-establish shift and braking points (you should already have mounted your gearing, and baseline-set your suspension before you left your house; in the case of a new engine, you should've at least heat-cycled it at least a few times also) should be enough. With modern fuel injection, there's no worry about carburetion as in prehistoric times. A click or two on the dampers between sessions, possibly a mm or two up or down, and you're ready to race; otherwise you're wasting gas, tires, and you're tempting fate. Besides, we're only talking about ONE Saturday at Oak Hill for God's sake...

Craig Montgomery
11-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Hey Chergle,

I think amount of necessary or desired practice for everyone is a relative term. Maybe one or 2 sessions for you works just fine. Dustin Dominguez can show up the morning of the race, practice, and leave with a 600 lap record. I (and a few other racers I know) donít have that kind of talent. On CMRA weekends I need to get as much track time as I can get. I typically always run my best times after one or 2 days of good practice. Oak Hill for me though, no great loss.

ROBERT BLEVINS
11-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Chris i was just thinking of the costs, total cost of running a 12 hr race. I think there will be people wishing in the end that they would not have ran this. Chuck your just running minis get back on a big bike, Conner likes running his 125 a oak hill but he hates running his rs250 just think what it is like on a 1000 just my 2cents.

Ronald Harris
11-13-2009, 12:12 PM
I say do away with the 2 hour minis...lotta work for nuttin'.

Jeff Hughes
11-13-2009, 12:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ronald E. Harris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say do away with the 2 hour minis...lotta work for nuttin'. </div></div>

Don't do away with them...just make 'em all 3 hour races.

jhammy49
11-13-2009, 12:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff Hughes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ronald E. Harris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say do away with the 2 hour minis...lotta work for nuttin'. </div></div>

Don't do away with them...just make 'em all 3 hour races. </div></div>

+1 for the +1. 2hr is too short.

Christopher Corder
11-13-2009, 02:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robert Blevins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chris i was just thinking of the costs, total cost of running a 12 hr race. I think there will be people wishing in the end that they would not have ran this. Chuck your just running minis get back on a big bike, Conner likes running his 125 a oak hill but he hates running his rs250 just think what it is like on a 1000 just my 2cents. </div></div>

I got confused. I did not realize you meant cost to the racers.

Keith Hertell
11-13-2009, 03:24 PM
+1 for the +1 on the 2hr.

And I'm not a fan of a 12Hr race, but I'll do it of course.

And yea, a 1000 @ OHR is a PIA. Don't you have a 600 too Craig? If so, I'd ride the 600 @ the Hill.

Roger Albert
11-13-2009, 07:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robert Blevins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion having a 12hr mini race is a very bad business decision ,look at how many teams there were at the first race and how many teams were at the last race. In a 12hr race almost every bike will have to be rebuilt after the race and how many teams will blowup, so if we are trying to make this more affordable we just made it more expensive. I think this will really hurt the club at the end of the year. </div></div>

I lean that way myself. Not sure it will hurt the club, but not sure it's attractive either. As Robert said, a lot of the little bikes will need a teardown immediately after that race. Some of the more high strung ones, might need it both before and after, to be reasonably sure of making it through. It's probably fine for the big production bikes (Ninja 250s) but is tough on little, built, aircooled ones. The moreso, as you're sure not going to have anything like optimum jetting and gearing for a 12 hour event that will see a broad range of temperatures. The 8 is already tough enough. I'm not one who is going to stamp his feet and say I'm not running it, but in a time of (I thought) widely recognized financial hardship, it doesn't make, imo, a lot of sense. The talk was about way to reduce costs, and now we've just upped them, very significantly. And that's not even covering the 'too many eggs in one basket' reasoning.
One little problem or getting taken out or a little failure early in an event like that, and the championship is over.

I'm also not sure I agree with Chris Corder's numbers. Sure, the bigger events drew more teams, but they were being fed by two clubs, and TMGP needed to be there this year. Will that be true next year?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that for some, the 12hr is hard to economically justify, which means running the entire endurance series at all becomes tough to justify. But who knows, if Q1-2010 sees a big business turn around, maybe folks will make it just the same.

Christopher Corder
11-13-2009, 07:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roger Albert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm also not sure I agree with Chris Corder's numbers. Sure, the bigger events drew more teams, but they were being fed by two clubs, and TMGP needed to be there this year. Will that be true next year? </div></div>

yes

any decision is going to make some people unhappy and some people thrilled. It would be nice if those who continually requested the event would not be a quiet as church mice though. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Dan Blankenship
11-13-2009, 09:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
yes

any decision is going to make some people unhappy and some people thrilled. It would be nice if those who continually requested the event would not be a quiet as church mice though. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif </div></div>

The ones that asked you were standing next to the keg weren't they???
Well I guess we will find the breaking point on the mini's...just going to need a lot of stretchers to haul them all off.

Rich Desmond
11-13-2009, 11:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roger Albert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm also not sure I agree with Chris Corder's numbers. Sure, the bigger events drew more teams, but they were being fed by two clubs, and TMGP needed to be there this year. Will that be true next year? </div></div>

yes

any decision is going to make some people unhappy and some people thrilled. It would be nice if those who continually requested the event would not be a quiet as church mice though. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif </div></div>

That's always the way it is though. The ones that are happy with a decision nod silently to themselves and mutter &quot;nice job&quot; under their breath. The unhappy ones hop on the Mboard and compose long novels explaining in great detail what morons the BOD is composed of and how stupid and counterproductive everything they've ever done is. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

(And I'm mostly just kidding here, don't anyone get their shorts in a wad. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif Actually, one of the nice changes over the last couple of years is that the tone of posts on the board has (mostly) improved.)

Ryan Rutkowski
11-14-2009, 02:21 AM
I used to always plan on doing a refresh/rebuild after the 8 hr anyways.

John Orchard
11-14-2009, 08:25 AM
(And I'm mostly just kidding here, don't anyone get their shorts in a wad. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif Actually, one of the nice changes over the last couple of years is that the tone of posts on the board has (mostly) improved.) </div></div>

I agree with this! It's nice to see relative to how the communication was a few/several years back.

Doug De Keyrel
11-14-2009, 09:28 AM
We are new to road racing ( 2009 was our first year ) But I always though part of the challange of endurance racing was to build a bike that is fast and will withstand the length of the race. Your riders you pick also need to be prepared for the length of the race too. Meaning there is as much thinking to be done before the race as there is durring. Your engine set up may not be the same for a 2hr as it is for an 8hr. Just as you do not need a tire change in a 2hr as your might in a 12hr. This is what I thought was so fun about the endurance races. The whole family was involved. Thank You CMRA for having mini endurance races.

Also you would see RONNIE HAY alot more on long endurance races because he was out drilling all the kids on drinking lots of water. Thank you RONNIE

Jeff Hughes
11-14-2009, 10:14 AM
While I never requested a 12hr race, I'm excited about it. I think it'll be a great test for our team, our bike, and myself personally. I would expect those that truly enjoy endurance racing would jump at the chance to push themselves.

True, if something happens early, our points season could be over but that can also work to your advantage. I'd bet that those who choose not to race in it will regret that decision shortly after.

Derek Thomas
11-14-2009, 05:53 PM
We'll see if some of the &quot;Sidewinders&quot; want to play....if so, I'll be there. Also curious as to the times the race will be held. I'm gonna look really goofy with flashlights taped to my helmet.

Would love to see you out there again, Chuck!

James Keenan
11-15-2009, 12:42 PM
its summer time... it isn't like like the equator where its immediatly dark at 6pm all year long.

Dominic Bethel
11-16-2009, 12:13 PM
my cousin is having a wedding the weekend of texas world... is it appropriate to miss his wedding?

John Orchard
11-16-2009, 05:22 PM
YES! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/laugh.gif

SV88
11-16-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm surprised that there is support for a long mini endo @ TWS. This is worse than running a stock SV @ Road America.

I'm happy about the 8 hr big bike endo just not the timing; it's clearly an evil plan to fry/kill off the northerners as they get up to speed. To level the playing field, I'll volunteer to host a 24 hr ice race on Lake Delavan, Wi just 20 miles north of here. It is generally -20F and a great time. It should become a mandatory BBE CMRA race!!

Chris Fields
11-16-2009, 05:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriscorder325</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5 hr mini: 32 teams
2 hr mini: 29 teams
8 hr mini: 52 teams
3 hr mini: 28 teams
3 hr mini: 35 teams
Avg 35.2 teams with 8 hour
Avg 31 teams without 8 hour

6 hr BB: 23 teams
5 hr BB: 27 teams
6 hr BB: 25 teams
4 hr BB: 22 teams
4 hr BB: 24 teams
Avg 26 teams

Not only has mini endurance outperformed BB in entries but we have especially high entries on the long crossover races. This alone makes be believe that a 12 hours IS a good idea.

</div></div>

The 12 hour mini has me seriously considering participating in a minibike endurance race for the first time, after having participated in BB endurance for going on 8 years now.