PDA

View Full Version : Prov-Novs in Big Endurance

Alan Etheredge
12-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Yes, the BoD voted that Prov-Novs will be allowed in the Big Endurance Series in 2010.

Ted Phillips
12-15-2009, 12:53 AM
That's great! Hopefully we'll see full grids for the 2010 season.

Danny McCraw
12-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Yeaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Dirk Anderson
12-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Really? Can you say red flag.

So...if a Prov Nov rides one stint for 5 minutes in a BB endurance race does that count towards their 2 races in 2 weekend requirement to get to Novice status?

Steve McNamara
12-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Dirk,

The requirements for moving from Prov Nov to Novice status will remain in place like in 2009.

mark niemi
12-16-2009, 12:14 PM
they'll be fine, especially since the grids have been small.
i like it.

Tony Ta
12-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I agree with Mark.

Alan Etheredge
12-16-2009, 01:49 PM
To clarify about the historic policy re: prov nov 'race signoff' and endurance racing ...

+ the rulebook is silent about this detail;

+ since long before I became Admin, PN's riding (mini) endurance have been given 1 race credit for riding endurance; a PN must race two races (and get through the entire weekend without crashing) to get the 'race signoff' for that weekend. They have to do that on two separate weekends (total of 2 weekends without crashing, must be 2 races min each of those weekends).

+ so, they can race enduracne but themn must also race at least one sprint that same weekend to get the signoff

Yes, I suppose it is possible that a PN could do a stint of less than 6-8 laps (typical length of a sprint race)in an effort to get some sort of 'short cut' to signoff.

I suggest that if a person is not using the other well-known procedure to circumvent our PN requirements, they likely want to get out there and race and will pull endurance practice and full-stints during an endurance, all involving track-time with a chance of crash. If they and the team owner want to collude to take a 'short-cut', I'm confident that observant peers will 'raise a flag' and bring that to the attention of staff so we can take appropriate action.

Dirk Anderson
12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Niemi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> they'll be fine, especially since the grids have been small.
i like it. </div></div>

While I don't agree with the decision...I think it is a great business sense decision and am very happy to see this kind of thinking taking place.

Fill up those grids yo.

Dirk Anderson
12-16-2009, 05:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alan Etheredge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To clarify about the historic policy re: prov nov 'race signoff' and endurance racing ...

+ the rulebook is silent about this detail;

+ since long before I became Admin, PN's riding (mini) endurance have been given 1 race credit for riding endurance; a PN must race two races (and get through the entire weekend without crashing) to get the 'race signoff' for that weekend. They have to do that on two separate weekends (total of 2 weekends without crashing, must be 2 races min each of those weekends).

+ so, they can race enduracne but themn must also race at least one sprint that same weekend to get the signoff

Yes, I suppose it is possible that a PN could do a stint of less than 6-8 laps (typical length of a sprint race)in an effort to get some sort of 'short cut' to signoff.

I suggest that if a person is not using the other well-known procedure to circumvent our PN requirements, they likely want to get out there and race and will pull endurance practice and full-stints during an endurance, all involving track-time with a chance of crash. If they and the team owner want to collude to take a 'short-cut', I'm confident that observant peers will 'raise a flag' and bring that to the attention of staff so we can take appropriate action. </div></div>

Thanks for the clarification Alan.

m2tx
12-16-2009, 06:36 PM
as a novice who is going to run endurance next year (with 3 other novices), I don't think there is a significant difference on whether I will run the race with my yellow shirt vs running it after, in terms of skills. In fact, I would probably have been more careful if I had my yellow shirt since a crash during the endurance race 'voids' the whole race weekend as far as the prov nov requirement.

By the way, something to consider for 2010 - perhaps each experienced endurance team can 'adopt' a novice junior team (get pitted next to them, help them out with procedure, and hopefully share similar bikes so they can share tips).

Patrick Kelly
12-16-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm sure there won't be a problem with prov novs taking short stints on an endurance team to get rid of the yellow shirt. After all, I don't think there's anything that prohibits a prov nov from doing one lap in a sprint race then coming into the pits thus finishing the race albeit seven laps down just to get rid of their yellow shirts.

I'm all for this. When I got my yellow shirt in the early 90s we were encouraged to get some endurance time before moving on to sprints where the passes are made closer and more urgently.

John Orchard
12-16-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm exited about this change and I'm excited about opening the endurance back up to all Novices.

When I started racing, there were three or four of us who rotated our sprint bikes in as the endurance bike each weekend just so we could race.

Having the endurance race available as track time to new Novices helped us accelerate our learning curve and it established and built friendships that would not have otherwise developed imo.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more guys lined up on Saturday for the endurance with fuller grids all the way around.

Also, if there are newer guys who want to pit next to the Idiots, we've got a whole bag of tricks to show you what NOT to do! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

Chris Fields
12-17-2009, 05:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirk Anderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really? Can you say red flag.</div></div>

I can't say I've seen much difference in the number of red flags since the Prov Novs were booted out of BB endurance.

What I did notice was an immediate 50% drop in entries the first season Prov Novs were not allowed, with no recovery in those figures.

It'll be interesting to see how the number of entries rebound next season.

And hopefully the old &quot;racial&quot; tensions that existed at times between the yellow plate and white plate teams won't be resurrected this time around. Not to mention the sometimes bragged upon practice of strafing yellow shirts.

12-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Will the PrvNov's be required to wear their yellow shirt? I would make a suggestion that they do. We had several instances last year where very slow riders were involved in crashes due to the closing speeds and slow corener speed. While I would never try and discourage or prevent anyone racing who wants to race, the speeds between the two are great and knowing who is in front of you can help prevent incidents.

Good call on allowing these folks and hopefully it will help increase the grids.

Alan Etheredge
12-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Prov Novs must wear the yellow shirt at any time they are on the track .... sprint, practice sessions, endurance, ANYTIME