PDA

View Full Version : MSR "backwards"

Brooks Gremmels
10-07-2002, 04:37 PM
There were at least 20 bikes out at the Ranch yesterday to take advantage of the chance to explore running the track clockwise. Ted (Race Control) was there and we had a good chance to get a feel for possible safety issues.
Pit out works really well and the first turn, Big Bend, seems to go on forever as you enter it. I only heard positive reports from all of the riders.
The only caution will be to note that we have to be especially careful to signal well ahead of time when we exit the track. You can take Richochet (sp?) unbelieveably fast as you turn right from the second straight and turn right to go up the hill. On the other side of the hill you approach Wagonwheel and have to brake and down shift. As you turn right, you swing pretty wide whether you are continuing around the turn or exiting the track. We MUST raise our hand to signal we are exiting the track as we head UP the hill. Waiting until we drop down the other side might not give enough warning to a following rider. Raise your hand going up the hill, slow down and hug the outside (left) of Wagonwheel when you're leaving the track.
You'll see what I'm talking about when you get out there. It's not a big deal, just something that we all need to keep in mind.
This is like having six tracks on our schedule!!
Brooks

Brooks Gremmels
10-07-2002, 04:37 PM
There were at least 20 bikes out at the Ranch yesterday to take advantage of the chance to explore running the track clockwise. Ted (Race Control) was there and we had a good chance to get a feel for possible safety issues.
Pit out works really well and the first turn, Big Bend, seems to go on forever as you enter it. I only heard positive reports from all of the riders.
The only caution will be to note that we have to be especially careful to signal well ahead of time when we exit the track. You can take Richochet (sp?) unbelieveably fast as you turn right from the second straight and turn right to go up the hill. On the other side of the hill you approach Wagonwheel and have to brake and down shift. As you turn right, you swing pretty wide whether you are continuing around the turn or exiting the track. We MUST raise our hand to signal we are exiting the track as we head UP the hill. Waiting until we drop down the other side might not give enough warning to a following rider. Raise your hand going up the hill, slow down and hug the outside (left) of Wagonwheel when you're leaving the track.
You'll see what I'm talking about when you get out there. It's not a big deal, just something that we all need to keep in mind.
This is like having six tracks on our schedule!!
Brooks

Michael D. Henry
10-08-2002, 09:16 AM
Cresson is a blast backwards! What Brooks said.... Please be careful at pit in!

Speed Safely

Michael D. Henry
10-08-2002, 09:16 AM
Cresson is a blast backwards! What Brooks said.... Please be careful at pit in!

Speed Safely

Ty Howard
10-08-2002, 09:29 AM
I rode the track alot backwards already and experimented with pit out alot. I see know problem with it as long as you maintain your speed as you exit. The people staying out racing are having to slow for a very tight corner. So, just like any track or pit in, as long as you signal early and use a little considerations to your fellow racers there should never be a problem. This pit in and out is safer and easier to use than 80% of the tracks I go to.

Ty Howard
10-08-2002, 09:29 AM
I rode the track alot backwards already and experimented with pit out alot. I see know problem with it as long as you maintain your speed as you exit. The people staying out racing are having to slow for a very tight corner. So, just like any track or pit in, as long as you signal early and use a little considerations to your fellow racers there should never be a problem. This pit in and out is safer and easier to use than 80% of the tracks I go to.

ChuckMcCoy
10-08-2002, 09:35 AM
I second this motion.

The situation is, as Brooks says, you can go pretty much as fast as you want through the richoccet(sp :-( and once you are again upright it is time to do the wagonwheel RIGHT NOW! The fast line through the wagonwheel is to double apex it which means you'll see the fastest guys running way out to the outside of the track right about the middle of the wagonwheel. So, if you don't signal before AND after the richoccet and are crusin' around the outside of the wagonwheel then you'll have fast riders hitting an early apex right at the beginning of the wagonwheel and comming to the outside quickly. Thus, it is to your advantage to let them know very early. between the richocette and the first turn-in to the wagonwheel is TOO LATE TO SIGNAL imho. Better to signal before the richocet, carry good speed thru there, carry good speed thru an early apex in wagonwheel, and then exit the track instead of making the turn-in for the 2nd apex of wagonwheel.

Hope this is explained well; I know that is the way the fast guys will do it 'cause I was sitting quiet as a mouse evesdropping while Troy Green explained it all to some other fast guys!

On a second point - WHAT FUN!

Chuck

ChuckMcCoy
10-08-2002, 09:35 AM
I second this motion.

The situation is, as Brooks says, you can go pretty much as fast as you want through the richoccet(sp :-( and once you are again upright it is time to do the wagonwheel RIGHT NOW! The fast line through the wagonwheel is to double apex it which means you'll see the fastest guys running way out to the outside of the track right about the middle of the wagonwheel. So, if you don't signal before AND after the richoccet and are crusin' around the outside of the wagonwheel then you'll have fast riders hitting an early apex right at the beginning of the wagonwheel and comming to the outside quickly. Thus, it is to your advantage to let them know very early. between the richocette and the first turn-in to the wagonwheel is TOO LATE TO SIGNAL imho. Better to signal before the richocet, carry good speed thru there, carry good speed thru an early apex in wagonwheel, and then exit the track instead of making the turn-in for the 2nd apex of wagonwheel.

Hope this is explained well; I know that is the way the fast guys will do it 'cause I was sitting quiet as a mouse evesdropping while Troy Green explained it all to some other fast guys!

On a second point - WHAT FUN!

Chuck

Steve McNamara
10-08-2002, 05:12 PM
Loved the Ranch backwards.
I hope the Sunday weather forecast is going to change.
It looks cold and wet!!

Steve McNamara
10-08-2002, 05:12 PM
Loved the Ranch backwards.
I hope the Sunday weather forecast is going to change.
It looks cold and wet!!

shanes moto
10-08-2002, 09:50 PM
THIS PLACE IS GONNA ROCK BACKWARDS!!!!!
IT WAS SO MUCH FUN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ILLEGAL.
ONLY PROBLEM I SAW WAS THE GIANT TARANTULA CROSSING THE TRACK AT THE TOP OF THE HILL,
SCAAARRRRRRYYYYY!!
SEE YA'LL OUT THERE SAT.

SHANE
ACTION MOTOR SPORTS

shanes moto
10-08-2002, 09:50 PM
ONLY PROBLEM I SAW WAS THE GIANT TARANTULA CROSSING THE TRACK AT THE TOP OF THE HILL,
SCAAARRRRRRYYYYY!!
SEE YA'LL OUT THERE SAT.

SHANE
ACTION MOTOR SPORTS

Andy Galindo
10-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Where's that CAPS LOCK graphic when you need it. Anyone? Anyone?

BTW I think cresson rocks backwards too.

Andy Galindo
10-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Where's that CAPS LOCK graphic when you need it. Anyone? Anyone?

BTW I think cresson rocks backwards too.

Jeff Grant
10-09-2002, 10:14 AM
The jury was out for quite a long time with me, but it definitely grew on me. Approaching, cresting and descending the hill just before Big Bend, then setting up for the turn was the most "exhilerating" aspect of the track I think. The more you took the turn, the more you realized you could wait a little longer on the brakes... GREAT passing zone.

I think the track backwards is a bit more technical than forwards, but that could just be lack of seat time.

Oddly enough, running it backwards didn't tire me out nearly as fast. Personally, Cresson tends to tire me out more than any track. Granted, I wasn't matching my regular direction times, but for the day itself, they weren't "bad". We ran the final few sessions a little longer for everyone. My final session was a solid half hour long and I wasn't tired at all... kinda suprised me.

Anyway, looks like we have 6 track to run next season.

Jeff Grant
10-09-2002, 10:14 AM
The jury was out for quite a long time with me, but it definitely grew on me. Approaching, cresting and descending the hill just before Big Bend, then setting up for the turn was the most "exhilerating" aspect of the track I think. The more you took the turn, the more you realized you could wait a little longer on the brakes... GREAT passing zone.

I think the track backwards is a bit more technical than forwards, but that could just be lack of seat time.

Oddly enough, running it backwards didn't tire me out nearly as fast. Personally, Cresson tends to tire me out more than any track. Granted, I wasn't matching my regular direction times, but for the day itself, they weren't "bad". We ran the final few sessions a little longer for everyone. My final session was a solid half hour long and I wasn't tired at all... kinda suprised me.

Anyway, looks like we have 6 track to run next season.

Jesse Davis
10-09-2002, 10:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by shane thorn:
SCAAARRRRRRYYYYY!!
SEE YA'LL OUT THERE SAT.

SHANE
ACTION MOTOR SPORTS</div></div>http://www.bmusat.com/~robin/pix/capslock.gif

Jesse Davis
10-09-2002, 10:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by shane thorn:
SCAAARRRRRRYYYYY!!
SEE YA'LL OUT THERE SAT.

SHANE
ACTION MOTOR SPORTS</div></div>http://www.bmusat.com/~robin/pix/capslock.gif

waytooslow
10-09-2002, 12:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I hope the Sunday weather forecast is going to change.
It looks cold and wet!!
</div></div>Looks like that forcast has changed.... Cloudy and windy... highs in the 60's, low 49... brrrrrrr

Hope it holds...

scott

waytooslow
10-09-2002, 12:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I hope the Sunday weather forecast is going to change.
It looks cold and wet!!
</div></div>Looks like that forcast has changed.... Cloudy and windy... highs in the 60's, low 49... brrrrrrr

Hope it holds...

scott