PDA

View Full Version : Some Memories...

marcus mcbain
10-14-2002, 01:46 AM
In 1988, I first met Connie Brothers over the phone when I called CRRC to get new rider information. I very confidently informed her that I was a WMRRA expert and moved back to Texas. No need for any rider school, and I was a “fast guy” up in Washington. Dropped some names of sponsors, etc. Connie informed me that Charles would have to make the call for me to be an expert or novice. In 1989, I met Charles at Monterrey (sp?), Mexico (first CRRC race). I ran well on an FZR, but again, Charles mentioned to wait until Oak Hill, and he'd let me know about my novice/expert status. Well, Charles put me in the novice class. I was upset and my ego was hurt, and I ran black plates. Best thing for me at the time though.

During 89, I heard stories of Charles riding his Yamaha (Seca II I think), and he would pull the street parts off, race, win big $$$, beat very respectable racers, and drive back home on his race bike. Connie was always at registration holding it together. During 1989, 1990 & part of 1991, CRRC lost Texas World Speedway. That left two stateside tracks to race…Hallet and Oak Hill. Charles and Connie managed to get us other tracks. We continued at Monterrey, while adding the infamous wheels raceway. The club was held together, but looked nothing like what it does today.

During 91,92, & 93 Charles wrote the club newsletter (he has many other years too) and I learned what a sense of humor he has as I endured write ups in RRW of my “marsh mellow” (burned up) FZR600 in which I was originally coined “hot foot” in national print (FYI Ty). Our all-conquering endurance team got headlines of “Knights joust Beast at TWS Renaissance”. Poor Mike Myers got the indignity of being spotlighted as one of the first people to crash a CBR900 with a “bless his heart” comment. The guys from the late 80's and early 90's still laugh about it when we bench race.

Connie and Charles have witnessed the rise of such notables of Michael Martin, Colin Edwards, Britt Turkinton, Rick Kirk, Ty Howard, John Haner, Jim Sabin, Doug Carmichael, and many others while keeping the club running under “their watch”.

During all of this, Connie and Charles have endured the challenge of racers. This includes *****ing, whining, and all around pain in the butt criticisms that people who volunteer a significant portion of their lives endure. Connie and Charles have worked alongside some great CMRA members which includes Ken Harvey, Henry Butler, Harry Tomlinson, Laroy Montgomery, Andre Vandenberg, Bob Stallings, Dennie Spears, and many others. Many have come and gone (in regards to board members), but Connie and Charles have been there.

The job Connie and Charles (AND THEIR ENTIRE FAMILY) have done is thankless. The only reward many times is the self-knowledge of the job that has been accomplished. As Connie and Charles leave the CMRA this weekend, I want to take this opportunity to thank them (and family) for being there.

Marcus McBain

marcus mcbain
10-14-2002, 01:46 AM
In 1988, I first met Connie Brothers over the phone when I called CRRC to get new rider information. I very confidently informed her that I was a WMRRA expert and moved back to Texas. No need for any rider school, and I was a “fast guy” up in Washington. Dropped some names of sponsors, etc. Connie informed me that Charles would have to make the call for me to be an expert or novice. In 1989, I met Charles at Monterrey (sp?), Mexico (first CRRC race). I ran well on an FZR, but again, Charles mentioned to wait until Oak Hill, and he'd let me know about my novice/expert status. Well, Charles put me in the novice class. I was upset and my ego was hurt, and I ran black plates. Best thing for me at the time though.

During 89, I heard stories of Charles riding his Yamaha (Seca II I think), and he would pull the street parts off, race, win big $$$, beat very respectable racers, and drive back home on his race bike. Connie was always at registration holding it together. During 1989, 1990 & part of 1991, CRRC lost Texas World Speedway. That left two stateside tracks to race…Hallet and Oak Hill. Charles and Connie managed to get us other tracks. We continued at Monterrey, while adding the infamous wheels raceway. The club was held together, but looked nothing like what it does today.

During 91,92, & 93 Charles wrote the club newsletter (he has many other years too) and I learned what a sense of humor he has as I endured write ups in RRW of my “marsh mellow” (burned up) FZR600 in which I was originally coined “hot foot” in national print (FYI Ty). Our all-conquering endurance team got headlines of “Knights joust Beast at TWS Renaissance”. Poor Mike Myers got the indignity of being spotlighted as one of the first people to crash a CBR900 with a “bless his heart” comment. The guys from the late 80's and early 90's still laugh about it when we bench race.

Connie and Charles have witnessed the rise of such notables of Michael Martin, Colin Edwards, Britt Turkinton, Rick Kirk, Ty Howard, John Haner, Jim Sabin, Doug Carmichael, and many others while keeping the club running under “their watch”.

During all of this, Connie and Charles have endured the challenge of racers. This includes *****ing, whining, and all around pain in the butt criticisms that people who volunteer a significant portion of their lives endure. Connie and Charles have worked alongside some great CMRA members which includes Ken Harvey, Henry Butler, Harry Tomlinson, Laroy Montgomery, Andre Vandenberg, Bob Stallings, Dennie Spears, and many others. Many have come and gone (in regards to board members), but Connie and Charles have been there.

The job Connie and Charles (AND THEIR ENTIRE FAMILY) have done is thankless. The only reward many times is the self-knowledge of the job that has been accomplished. As Connie and Charles leave the CMRA this weekend, I want to take this opportunity to thank them (and family) for being there.

Marcus McBain

m novak
10-14-2002, 07:50 AM
Ditto on what Marcus said...

I started coming to the races in about 88 or 89 and the one constant I can remember for the club is the presence of the Brother's family.

Thanks guys, sorry to see you go before I make it back to Texas.

m novak
10-14-2002, 07:50 AM
Ditto on what Marcus said...

I started coming to the races in about 88 or 89 and the one constant I can remember for the club is the presence of the Brother's family.

Thanks guys, sorry to see you go before I make it back to Texas.

Harry Tomlinson
10-14-2002, 08:14 AM
Ditto again. I never realized just how much C & C did for the club until I had the opportunity to serve on the Board.
For them race-day is almost vacation compared to everything they do "behind the scenes".
Connie has literally "lived" this job.
I hope to see them again and often, enjoying the races without the responsibilities of running them.
Now it's the responsibility of every member to assist in "filling their shoes" (or attempting to) to keep this club moving in the right direction.
Harry
GMAN Racing

Harry Tomlinson
10-14-2002, 08:14 AM
Ditto again. I never realized just how much C & C did for the club until I had the opportunity to serve on the Board.
For them race-day is almost vacation compared to everything they do "behind the scenes".
Connie has literally "lived" this job.
I hope to see them again and often, enjoying the races without the responsibilities of running them.
Now it's the responsibility of every member to assist in "filling their shoes" (or attempting to) to keep this club moving in the right direction.
Harry
GMAN Racing

Allan Stevens
10-14-2002, 08:21 AM
Did I miss something here? I am getting the impression that Charles and Connie are being spoken of in the past tense. It would be sad if this is the case.

Allan Stevens
10-14-2002, 08:21 AM
Did I miss something here? I am getting the impression that Charles and Connie are being spoken of in the past tense. It would be sad if this is the case.

10-14-2002, 08:45 AM
Well said Marcus ! This club would not be as great as it is without them ! Thanks for all of your hard work you will be missed ! Ashley Peterson

10-14-2002, 08:45 AM
Well said Marcus ! This club would not be as great as it is without them ! Thanks for all of your hard work you will be missed ! Ashley Peterson

Charles Brothers
10-14-2002, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the kind words.
I'd say a little more, but we've got two hours before we leave for Daytona.
See you next week.

Charles Brothers
10-14-2002, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the kind words.
I'd say a little more, but we've got two hours before we leave for Daytona.
See you next week.

Jim Cambora
10-14-2002, 08:43 PM
Best run club in the country bar none. Speaking from experience!

Jim Cambora
10-14-2002, 08:43 PM
Best run club in the country bar none. Speaking from experience!

E. Templet
10-14-2002, 09:08 PM
From someone who has watched from the wings and enjoyed the fruits of your tireless efforts, endured with empathy your frustrations, and admired your business sense regarding the direction of the Club, if I may paraphrase Winston Churchill on a much milder note, "Never have so many owed so much to so few". Of course, I include the current and past BOD members in that statement. Please accept a heartfelt thank you, in appreciation for all the sacrifices you have made over the years.

E. Templet
10-14-2002, 09:08 PM
From someone who has watched from the wings and enjoyed the fruits of your tireless efforts, endured with empathy your frustrations, and admired your business sense regarding the direction of the Club, if I may paraphrase Winston Churchill on a much milder note, "Never have so many owed so much to so few". Of course, I include the current and past BOD members in that statement. Please accept a heartfelt thank you, in appreciation for all the sacrifices you have made over the years.

Jeff Grant
10-17-2002, 11:38 AM
This was only my first year of racing, but I appreciate the involvement that C&C have done for the club, and answering my "stupid" questions at the beginning of the year. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Best of luck for the future!

Jeff Grant
10-17-2002, 11:38 AM
This was only my first year of racing, but I appreciate the involvement that C&C have done for the club, and answering my "stupid" questions at the beginning of the year. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Best of luck for the future!

David Hirsch
10-17-2002, 09:49 PM
Nicely said Marcus, but in 1988 you called the CRRC not the CMRA. We have come a long way and in no small part due to the Brothers Clan. I always hated those damn Visions, I hated chaseing them. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

David Hirsch
10-17-2002, 09:49 PM
Nicely said Marcus, but in 1988 you called the CRRC not the CMRA. We have come a long way and in no small part due to the Brothers Clan. I always hated those damn Visions, I hated chaseing them. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif