PDA

View Full Version : Austin F1 Track Construction Halted

Alan Etheredge
11-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Local media reports that construction was halted today 11/15, not to resume until a contract for the November 2012 F1 race is "finalized". This announcement was attributed to "Circuit of the Americas officials" on at least one local TV channel.

State Comptroller Susan Combs also 'clarified' that the State will not release any of the promised $25 million Major Event Fund money until after an event has actually occurred. It had been previously stated that those money's would be paid in advance of the event (to cover sanctioning fees).

Michael De Simone
11-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Michael De Simone
11-15-2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/s...g_construc.html (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/racing/entries/2011/11/15/developers_suspending_construc.html)

To elaborate on my previous comment, I have a friend involved in racing who called this last week when Ecclestone made his comments. He swears that Ecclestone will end up killing the track and it will not have been the first time he has done something like it. I hope he is wrong, but I really have no clue about Ecclestone's history.

I flew over the track a couple weeks ago and it looks like it will be so cool. I really hope they can pull their stuff together.

Josh Henke
11-15-2011, 06:39 PM
I think it was the rain that halted construction. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/whistle.gif

Ted Phillips
11-15-2011, 07:10 PM
The developers with the money want Tavo out. Tavo thought he had an ace by asking Combs if a change in management jeopardized the $25 mil, but now his only card is being 'friends' with Ecclestone. Developers are forcing his hand by halting construction.

If there is millions to be made there will be a resolution, but I don't think Tavo will get anywhere near the money he thinks he's due, and he'll be lucky to still be involved in the project when it's all over.

<span style="font-size: 8pt">(This is all just speculation from someone who read <span style="font-style: italic">a lot</span> of emails today on this subject.)</span>

Tim Johnson
11-15-2011, 11:26 PM
I agree with Ted. Especially para #2.

Hey guys you have a meeting coming up soon. Be the first Organization to have a contract with the Austin track. We do count don't we?

Think about it we can advertise, spectator seating is seperate from the pit area. That's a start. The PA system will work and we all can hear the call of the races. That's #2 to the good. A Series Sponsor may even come on board just for this one race.

No doubt all of us as members will attend this one. Go For It.

Tim Cox
11-15-2011, 11:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ted phillips</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The developers with the money want Tavo out. Tavo thought he had an ace by asking Combs if a change in management jeopardized the $25 mil, but now his only card is being 'friends' with Ecclestone. Developers are forcing his hand by halting construction.

If there is millions to be made there will be a resolution, but I don't think Tavo will get anywhere near the money he thinks he's due, and he'll be lucky to still be involved in the project when it's all over.

<span style="font-size: 8pt">(This is all just speculation from someone who read <span style="font-style: italic">a lot</span> of emails today on this subject.)</span> </div></div>well right now he owns the rights for the race........he probably realizies now to make any money he must sell it(the rights)the track develpers like to screw everyone thats how big buisness works in reds world...get em in deep then brake there back in tough renegotiationas or just push them out before you have to pay up....maybe bernie will save his [censored] either way I think the track will get done wether they make the first race or not is still not clear....funny just before all this the fim anounced the street race in new jersey... that may end up being a back up for the first race if they cant get the texas track ready in time.

Joe Rodriguez
11-16-2011, 09:19 AM
well, everyone must have an alternative route.
in todays business world, it seems everyone is entitled to change their mind, so long as they are not liable or they have enough money to get themselves pulled out of the contract....
and to embark in business such as this multi million dollar track, and not have enough &quot;back up&quot; is just s t u p i d .....

William Guthrie
11-16-2011, 10:04 AM
What Ted said, it's basically a staring contest between Hellmund (Full Throttle Prod) and the developers. Red has the coffers to perhaps hang this thing out there until someone blinks.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/formula1/f1-track-work-stops-amid-dispute-1971568.html

Chris Randle
11-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Politics confuse me.
Different article.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111115/F1/111119910

mark niemi
11-16-2011, 10:55 AM
how could something involving that much money NOT be political?
there's gonna be alot of &quot;goin' along to get along&quot;, i would imagine.
it sure is exciting to anticipate!
austin seems perfect for it.

Wil Kitchens
11-16-2011, 03:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim Johnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think about it we can advertise </div></div>

Um, not so fast there Timbo...we're a non-profit organization, remember? We can't advertise or do anything to realistically bring in income.

Silly goose.

Dean Dufrene
11-16-2011, 03:29 PM
NOLA for the win <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Chris Randle
11-16-2011, 04:07 PM
What's Nawlins gotta do with the Austin track Dean?

Ted Phillips
11-16-2011, 04:51 PM
it's a race to see which one finishes first?

Alan Etheredge
11-16-2011, 07:40 PM
So much for Tavo having an F1 contract ....

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111116/FREE/111119900

and*

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111116/F1/111119894

....seems some business folks (even billionaires with a business school named after them) are quick to forget that leverage depends on the limited commodity, and only Bernie has that.

Dean Dufrene
11-16-2011, 07:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris Randle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's Nawlins gotta do with the Austin track Dean?</div></div>

dang wrong thread sorry <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif must have bumped my head too hard at road atlanta

Dean Dufrene
11-16-2011, 07:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ted phillips</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's a race to see which one finishes first?</div></div>

i'll bet a thousand on new orleans, uh wait, whats your meaning of finished? first time bikes or cars ride on it?

Karl Leone
11-16-2011, 09:32 PM
They can borrow the money from Walter Umphrey for a reasonable interest rate until after the first race then pay him off. Hell he may want to be a partner. Once he gets involved if there is money to be made he will sure know how to make it.

Heinz Roy
11-17-2011, 01:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alan Etheredge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So much for Tavo having an F1 contract ....

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111116/FREE/111119900

and*

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111116/F1/111119894

....seems some business folks (even billionaires with a business school named after them) are quick to forget that leverage depends on the limited commodity, and only Bernie has that.

</div></div>

Yep. Ask the folks at Indy what it's like negotiating and dealing with Bernie. He has nothing to lose if this event does not happen. There are many more asking to be put on the F1 schedule. Japan and England did everything asked by him just to REMAIN on the F1 schedule. New facilities (Turkey, India, etc.) are bleeding red ink and being threatened by Bernie to be dropped.

Chris Randle
11-17-2011, 03:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dean Dufrene</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris Randle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's Nawlins gotta do with the Austin track Dean?</div></div>

dang wrong thread sorry <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif must have bumped my head too hard at road atlanta </div></div>

LOL, ok

Roger Albert
11-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Formula 1 For Austin In 2013! ???

See Cycle News:

http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/editorials/2011/11/17/formula-1-for-austin-in-2013/

Wil Kitchens
11-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I listened in on a super-secret press conference this morning, and my understanding is now that Circuit of the Americas is going to reschedule its opening date for sometime in early 2013. The opening ceremonies will be held on the same date as Liberty Motorsports Park's grand opening, which will, in turn, host the opening race of the 2013 MotoGP season that same weekend.

Tim Cox
11-17-2011, 06:09 PM
well there was now way they could make 2012 even in december.they would have to be laying asphalt in a couple months for it to happen and have 6 months to cure before wheel turns on it.

Bob Oertle
11-18-2011, 01:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVDGmjz7eM Construction 101

Tim Cox
11-18-2011, 04:51 AM
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=46686 looks like they caved.

Jesse Davis
11-18-2011, 02:29 PM
http://www.racer.com/q-a-tavo-hellmund-on-funding-for-austin/article/217058/

a much more detailed transcript of Tavo's press conference.

Tim Cox
11-18-2011, 04:08 PM
wow I saw parts of this earlier..but no wonder the deal is fouled up ..he doesnt seem to know anything...or he's posturing for a buyout so he can take his money and run regardless if the track gets finished...Tavo has done more with his comments lately to hurt the deal than anyone and this interview sums it up.

Jesse Davis
11-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Tavo is pretty much the only reason this deal even happened in the first place. We should all thank him.

Christopher Corder
11-19-2011, 12:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil Kitchens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I listened in on a super-secret press conference this morning, and my understanding is now that Circuit of the Americas is going to reschedule its opening date for sometime in early 2013. The opening ceremonies will be held on the same date as Liberty Motorsports Park's grand opening, which will, in turn, host the opening race of the 2013 MotoGP season that same weekend. </div></div>

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1980/urlzr.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/urlzr.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Tim Cox
11-19-2011, 01:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jesse Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tavo is pretty much the only reason this deal even happened in the first place. We should all thank him.
</div></div>really well he shouldnt be talking like that cuz he pretty much threw everyone under the bus and put the project in a bad light with his comments.............if he put the deal together then he is responable for taking it to the state with it underfunded........you dont do deals on this scale with out full funding and support ...before a shovel hit the ground not after........sorry but this press conference did nothing to help his cause but to embarass his partners.

Jesse Davis
11-19-2011, 03:28 PM
you have no idea whats going on man. the funding and support was in place, one of the guys doing the funding is being an a-hole and is now wanting to run the show. its tavo's show to run. Like i said none of this would have even happened without tavo and bernie. Its an ego problem, not a money problem. Imagine if you had a sponsor that had tons of money to send you roadracing, but that sponsor knew nothing about how to ride a motorcycle. You build your motorcycle and get ready to race it....and then your sponsor decides hes going to ride your motorcycle instead.

Tim Cox
11-19-2011, 10:42 PM
right.....tav keeps saying he offerd to buy out his partners that would be in the neighborhood of 100 million.....the fim rights that were missed was only 25 mill. if tavo had any buissnes sence he would have paid for the rights.he said 'he wasnt the money man&quot; so what did he bring to the table his connection with the fim ?.....so like I said had he just steped up and paid for the rights regardless of the bickering someone would finish the project.........Im sure the nail in the coffin was the new jersey race....it gave the fim a venue that didnt require the track cuz if they cant step up and pay for the rights what the hell are they doing building a track as if to say...&quot;we'll deal with that later&quot;.....a real problem to the project has been Tavo put the deal together but failed to pay for the rights so he didnt have the deal he thought he did or never had the money to pay for the rights and hoped he would be a partner for just putting the deal together? whatever it was it fell on its [censored]......another money loss of a super track in texas that didnt get finished and many lost $$ on and some made $$$ on...a pity a real pity.....maybe someone else will step in and take this thing over.......it really pisses me off the way they talk about unexpected expenses as soil conditions and gas line.......they new all that before they bought the land that whole area has some of the highest PSI soil conditions in Austin and the gas line is visible from the road all around the track site..the streets are like a roller coster out there from soil expansion.......so thats BS

Jesse Davis
11-19-2011, 11:27 PM
OMG dude. TAVO OWNS THE RIGHTS. BECAUSE HE IS THE RACE PROMOTER! The &quot;silent&quot; investor that knows NOTHING about racing WANTS the rights, but he doesnt want Tavo do be involved. Bernie offered to write another contract without Tavo in the picture, but Epstein didnt like the adjusted price tag. Epstien is FAILING to see the opportunity for what its worth. You either get a SWEET buddy deal with Tavo....because this is Tavo's idea and baby, OR you pay the Bernie price.

Is that spelled out simple enough?

Walter Walker
11-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Tim, FYI you keep referring to the FIM and Bernie Ecclestone as the same intently.

Bernie Ecclestone is actually the president and CEO of Formula 1 Management.

The FIA witch stands for The Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (International Automobile Federation) is the governing body for world motor sport and the federation of the world’s leading motoring organizations. (cars)

F1 and FIA are not one and the same.

The FIM stands for The Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (International Motorcycling Federation). (obviously motorcycles)

Jesse, I agree with you Epstien is the problem here. Sad.

Alan Etheredge
11-21-2011, 01:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim Cox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...so what did he bring to the table his connection with the fim?...</div></div>
No, he brought the concept, his knowledge of the workings of the business of Formula 1 racing, and his relationship with Bernie Ecclestone. The last item explicitly included a significantly discounted price for the rights to the series. It would seem that all of those things would have value to a partnership in this venture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim Cox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...that whole area has some of the highest <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">PSI</span></span> soil conditions in Austin... </div></div>
Perhaps you meant &quot;PI&quot; (Plasticity Index), a characteristic describing among other things the soil's propensity to shrink/swell with variation in water content? In general, clayey soils have a high PI, sandy soils have a low PI. &quot;PSI&quot; (Pounds per Square Inch) would be the unit of measure of the soil's load-bearing capacity (and a high value would generally be favorable).

Boring stuff for sure, but since you brought it up as if &quot;all should know&quot; ... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: walter Walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Jesse, I agree with you Epstien is the problem here. Sad. </div></div>
I agree that seems to be the case. I am vicariously curious to know where Red McCombs stands on the issue of Tavo's value in the venture.

Van Blaylock
11-21-2011, 01:38 AM
I blame facebook

Kier Johnson
11-21-2011, 10:35 AM
I am already down here with the Occupy Austin effort. Just figured I would hang out until the F1 got here. No need to shave, groom or use working facilities. So when will this thing start? I'm hungry and my tent leaks. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Danny Clark
11-21-2011, 12:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alan Etheredge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: walter Walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Jesse, I agree with you Epstien is the problem here. Sad. </div></div>
I agree that seems to be the case. I am vicariously curious to know where Red McCombs stands on the issue of Tavo's value in the venture. </div></div>

Of all the things I've read on this subject I've come to the same conclusion as well..... Epstien is the one causing the problems here.

Wil Kitchens
11-21-2011, 03:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jesse Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Imagine if you had a sponsor that had tons of money to send you roadracing, but that sponsor knew nothing about how to ride a motorcycle. You build your motorcycle and get ready to race it....and then your sponsor decides hes going to ride your motorcycle instead. </div></div>

Best analogy for this situation. Period.

tinman
11-24-2011, 09:23 AM
The complexity of all this is plain stupid. The electrical part of this had FINALLY received permits several weeks ago. Just waiting ready to go then they just stop. The workers were told possibly in December they MIGHT go back to work. NOLA motorsports is close to where I fly out to work and this place is awesome, have a little track perfect for minis and once the big track cures will be incredible. Had some small motards running last weekend on the cart track and carts. Pretty cool setup with all the possible variations to the track. Still would rather go see MOTOGP in austin tho <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif

Mark Windham
11-24-2011, 02:16 PM
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/175128/1/austin_ready_to_pay_f1_fee_but.html

Looks like the ball is back in Ecclestone's court. Though we'll see if Epstein's pressure tactic will work on a guy like him...

Alan Etheredge
11-24-2011, 08:46 PM
If I were a betting man I'd say that Ecclestone will continue to give Epstein a hard lesson in negotiating leverage.

edit to add:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/nov/24/us-grand-prix-bernie-ecclestone?cat=sport&amp;type=article

Tim Cox
11-25-2011, 05:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alan Etheredge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were a betting man I'd say that Ecclestone will continue to give Epstein a hard lesson in negotiating leverage.

edit to add:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/nov/24/us-grand-prix-bernie-ecclestone?cat=sport&amp;type=article

</div></div> That Eccclestone is a creep i dont know who is really at fault here but some one has made some huge errors in judgment I have a new name for that......someone comitted a...waite for it......hold on......SOMEONE COMITTED A SANDUSKY !

Tim Johnson
11-26-2011, 03:08 AM
Deadline is this coming Wednesday the 30th. for an agreement to continue the build and comfirm the deal.

Just build the D$%^&amp;*M thing anyhow. There are many other race organizations who would invite the Austin market as one of their venues to compete in and show case their series.

There's still Moto GP.

Tim Cox
11-26-2011, 03:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim Johnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There's still Moto GP. </div></div>Eccleston runs that too

Van Blaylock
11-26-2011, 06:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim Cox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim Johnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There's still Moto GP. </div></div>Eccleston runs that too </div></div>

No. He doesn't. He has nothing to do with motogp for years now.

Christopher Corder
11-26-2011, 10:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim Cox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim Johnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You just making this up as you go?

Keith Hertell
11-26-2011, 11:59 AM

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif

Walter Walker
11-26-2011, 01:32 PM

Not true.

Carmelo Ezpeleta is the CEO of Dorna and Bernie Ecclestone is the CEO of Formula One.

Tim Johnson
11-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Walter is correct. Carmelo Ezpeleta runs the show for Moto GP.
Ezpeleta has his work cut out for him formulating a set of rules to hopefully increase the possibality of teams to get involved with the lease programs for Moto GP bikes.

There is an informative write up on the Speed web site regarding this. It's a good read.

Tim Cox
11-26-2011, 06:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Ecclestone#Controversies sorry I thought they were all managed by the same group. I get fom and fim confused along with dorna I thought at one time there were under the same mangment umbrella.....my bad sorry.

Tim Cox
12-07-2011, 08:11 AM
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/f1-in-austin-remains-on-calendar looks like it's back on.

Mark Windham
12-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Wow. I had pretty much given up... but I won't be celebrating until I actually see a vehicle circulating the track.

Joe Rodriguez
12-07-2011, 05:02 PM
here you Mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tEHQJn_hxo

Josh Henke
12-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Too bad. I'm looking at moving to Okrahomo now.

nee nee
12-07-2011, 06:12 PM
ON the news tonight, we are back on, they worked out the financial woes and still slated for Nov. 2012 and 10 year commitment.

Heinz Roy
12-07-2011, 10:59 PM
It is offically on the F1 schedule for next year. We'll see if they make it on time.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/272524/no-changes-made-to-original-2012-calendar/