PDA

View Full Version : Andy G Thanks

Mike Gilliland
04-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Andy(novice 170, ugly red SV, no tail) and I had a great weekend at ECR and he really enjoys the track. His first CMRA sprint race was last fall at ECR. Running out of gas in one race and crashing in Heavywt. twins were things to forget, but he had definitely caught the bug.
Thanks to Dunlop and Alan for quick tire changes from dry's to rains and back again with the changing conditions Sunday morning and to Road and Track's Keith Hertell's suspension work off season after our SV's forks and the Ohlins shock were both damaged in last year's crash. Tires, suspension and Fastline helped Andy with three novice class wins and a second this time around.
Also thanks to Carl Price for sharing garage space especially with the rain in the area and letting us park our less than beautiful race bike next to his VERY nice 848. As one of Linz's photo's of our SV was captioned, "ugly but effective". It was Carl's Ducati that Andy was chasing last year when he crashed, but luckily he didn't take Carl down in the process.
Competition is the name of the game in the CMRA and Blake Loehr is pushing Andy in every race they are in. I suspect it will be that way the entire season. Can't wait for Hallett.
Mike Gilliland

Carl Price
04-16-2012, 11:34 PM
always a pleasure Mike. Love to watch Andy ride. Like butter.

Michael De Simone
04-16-2012, 11:36 PM
It was nice getting to meet you this weekend. My wife Daisy and I were pitted right next to you. We got to watch Andy in a couple of his races. He really was moving out there. Congratulations on a great weekend!

Mike Gilliland
04-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks Mike. Being new to the CMRA we are just starting to put some names and faces together but have enjoyed meeting others who share our love of bikes. Great to see Daisy and Lindsey Redfern out there racing, serious competitors.

Blake Loehr
04-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Its a blast to race against Andy. Hes as clean of a racer as ive met. I cant wait to compete with him again after my back surgery. Hopefully itll help me not finish second so darn much lol.

James caraballo
04-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Congratz

Steven Smith
04-17-2012, 10:24 AM
I've had the opportunity to watch Andy in several races this year and he's quick. Unfortunately I only get to see him for a 1/2 lap or so. Maybe I could watch more if I wasn't IN the race with him watching him pull away or I could somehow manage to get a lot faster.

Mike Gilliland
04-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Get the back taken care of Blake and keep riding even stronger, the competition improves both of y'all.

Andy Gilliland
04-17-2012, 04:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Gilliland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks to Dunlop and Alan for quick tire changes from dry's to rains and back again with the changing conditions Sunday morning and to Road and Track's Keith Hertell's suspension work off season after our SV's forks and the Ohlins shock were both damaged in last year's crash. Tires, suspension and Fastline helped Andy with three novice class wins and a second this time around.
Also thanks to Carl Price for sharing garage space especially with the rain in the area and letting us park our less than beautiful race bike next to his VERY nice 848. As one of Linz's photo's of our SV was captioned, &quot;ugly but effective&quot;. It was Carl's Ducati that Andy was chasing last year when he crashed, but luckily he didn't take Carl down in the process.
Competition is the name of the game in the CMRA and Blake Loehr is pushing Andy in every race they are in. I suspect it will be that way the entire season. Can't wait for Hallett.
Mike Gilliland </div></div>

+1
thanks again to Allan for the quick tire changes and the stickiest dunlops. Everyone knows that the 211UK front kicks a$$, but that 160/60 209 UK rear is the [censored] for a SV. once I got the pressure dialed in, it worked awesome! it still looks new after 3 races. and the profile works really well with the stock 4.5&quot; rear rim, it doesn't get pinched off like a lot of tires do. Also, the dunlop rains felt great in practice and during the F2 race even though the track was almost totally dry by then.

At MSRH and TWS I had problems leading from front, I couldn't push myself if I didn't have someone to chase. So, when Blake passed me on the first lap of SSD, I decided to just fall in behind him to better assess the situation. We seemed pretty even, except on the straights, his bike was definitely struggling there. I knew if I just stayed on his tail, I'd either be able to catch him off guard into T11, or out-drag him to the line on the last lap... that was the plan at least. On the 2nd or 3rd lap he got into T9 a little hot and just barely stayed on track. I seized the opportunity and tried to make a break for it, too bad I missed a downshift into T6 on the next lap and he dove under me as I struggled to keep it on track. I thought, &quot;No problem, I'll just go back to my original plan.&quot; It was going good until the last lap when a couple of experts, who I didn't think we'd be able to catch, were suddenly right in front of us. Blake got by one of them between T9 &amp; T10...not good. I knew I had to pass them ASAP so I'd have a chance at passing Blake by the line. I just barely got by the second one on the brakes into T11, and was pulling hard on Blake when I crossed the line, but it wasn't enough, I got 2nd by 0.267 seconds.

The next 2 races, I said screw it to trying to &quot;gameplan&quot; a race and decided to just ride as hard and fast as I could, and always assume that there's someone right on my tail, trying to get by. This ended up working a lot better for me and I was able to bring it home 1st in my last 2 races. Good Times!

Thanks to the cmra for putting on another great race weekend!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Gilliland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(novice 170, <span style="font-weight: bold">ugly</span> red SV, no tail)</div></div>
HEY! she's not ugly! Besides, I've always believed that form follows function, and she's been functioning quite well so far

Linz Leard
04-17-2012, 04:48 PM
When I said &quot;ugly but effective&quot;, I meant that as in an FN PS90. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

Mike Gilliland
04-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Well then, we will take that as a compliment. Still, parked next to Carl's 848 it was a picture of extremes. Luckily, despite the asphalt magnatism that is exerted by new Taichi leathers and a gorgeous bike, Carl kept the rubber side down at ECR. Almost too pretty to race. I would have cried if either had been scuffed up by an &quot;incident&quot;.

Keith Hertell
04-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Congrats Andy

Michael Thurber
04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
im thinking about getting an SV650. i hope i get to race with you guys soon. i endurance aced one on saturday at ECR and it was awesome! I just sold my cbr1000 so im trying to find the right bike.

Andy Gilliland
04-19-2012, 04:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Thurber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im thinking about getting an SV650. i hope i get to race with you guys soon. i endurance aced one on saturday at ECR and it was awesome! I just sold my cbr1000 so im trying to find the right bike. </div></div>

They're awesome bikes. They're perfect for beginners but still capable enough for experts... Just look at the lap times the top experts are doing. Cheap parts, easy on tires, and nothing beats that feeling of passing guys on bikes that SHOULD be much faster, especially liter bikes (at trackdays or if you ride up a class).

Blake Loehr
04-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Found out y my bike was struggling in the straights. ( other than my fat butt). Last race I was on u the first couple of laps, then the motor just started to loose power. Temp was still good but she kept loosing more and more power. The bike has very low compression. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif

Josh Henke
04-19-2012, 05:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blake Loehr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found out y my bike was struggling in the straights. ( other than my fat butt). Last race I was on u the first couple of laps, then the motor just started to loose power. Temp was still good but she kept loosing more and more power. The bike has very low compression. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif </div></div>Are you sure it wasn't your back?

Andy Gilliland
04-19-2012, 06:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blake Loehr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found out y my bike was struggling in the straights. ( other than my fat butt). Last race I was on u the first couple of laps, then the motor just started to loose power. Temp was still good but she kept loosing more and more power. The bike has very low compression. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif </div></div>

I figured it was something like that, because I could pull you pretty good on the straights. and I think it was smoking on downshifts at TWS (didn't notice it at ECR, though)

Blake Loehr
04-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Hopefully it'll be ready.

See you at hallet?

Mike Gilliland
04-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Get the motor taken care of and we will see you there.