PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear UNDER your leathers?

Joe Fields
05-27-2013, 09:29 AM
What do you wear under your leathers to help with heat, and/or to help get your leathers on and off, and/or the keep your leathers from smelling like an old jock strap?

unless some of ya's go in your birthday suit.... :bannana:

Alan Depp
05-27-2013, 02:12 PM
RS Taichi undersuit.

Jeremy Harvey
05-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Tried out some of the new Taichi compression type stuff at Hallett and liked how it worked. Have also used Under Armour heat gear or Nike Dri Fit and it works as well. Definitely prefer the compression fit to anything else; other (looser) fits seem to move around too much. Some say that the UA or similar can melt when crashed, but that hasn't happened to me...at least not yet.

Kasey Lewis
05-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Under Armor compression fit. They have hot and cold. Get the long sleeve top and bottoms. And unless you have a washing machine close, get 2 sets for obvious reasons! They don't move around and make it much easier to get in and out of your suit. Just don't walk around the pit area in only them.....you'll scare the kids.

Joe Fields
05-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Just don't walk around the pit area in only them.....you'll scare the kids.

:lol:

Got it.

I have some of the UA type stuff and used it while I was down in FL. I've heard that the wicking tends to dehydrate you faster in a more dry heat. Thats why I was asking.

David Proler
05-27-2013, 04:31 PM
I've heard the same thing, but I've accepted that I'll just be hot no matter what I wear.

Chris Coffey
05-27-2013, 07:50 PM
I wear under armour, they say it can melt if you crash at highspeed because of the friction heat.

I have crash tested this theory many times and never even saw a hint of it.. and neither has anyone that I know

Kasey Lewis
05-27-2013, 09:01 PM
I've heard that the wicking tends to dehydrate you faster in a more dry heat. Thats why I was asking.

Your physiology will determine that. Some people simple sweat more than others. Like Danny Dominguez always told us as prov Novs- hydrate hydrate hydrate.

Kasey Lewis
05-27-2013, 09:03 PM
I wear under armour, they say it can melt if you crash at highspeed because of the friction heat.

I have crash tested this theory many times and never even saw a hint of it.. and neither has anyone that I know

I've been down in mine at Barber, none the worse. But I wear armor as well, hip/but and a full chest shell/back plate, so I've got another layer in between me and the leathers. I hope to not test it again any time soon!

Jim Dugger
05-28-2013, 08:02 AM

I've had a handful of unplanned dismounts and only had minor injuries from it, but I know it to be true if you get in a good long, high-speed slide that gets through your leathers.

The issues are two-fold:

1. It will "carpet burn" you in a way cotton does not. In one of my crashes I had a long elbow slide. The armor in the elbow rubbed against the under-armor, and that rubbed my skin, and it literally was like a sticky carpet burn on my elbow. The shirt kind of clung to it, and the surface wound scabbed up. Hurt like hell, but not really much other of a risk.

2. If you are in a LONG slide, it will melt into your skin. And, this is nasty. I've never had it happen in my crashes, but know that it can. There are stories about on the internet regarding "ballistic nylon" motorcycle gear, under armour, etc., and street crashes, and the mess it makes at the ER.

All that said, I still wear the stuff because it works so dang well otherwise.

Joe Rodriguez
05-28-2013, 08:37 AM
i've had my fair share of slides, havent had it melt to me yet, but each time there is new holes in them where the leather contacted,i think it melted to the inner liner .
i dont know that there is an option other than this,i mean i think its all gonna melt at that temp ....

Mike Paxton
05-28-2013, 02:10 PM
I do the compression thing, but noticed that Euro racers, and WSB, MotoGP guys wear what looks like nothing under theirs.
Hard to tell, but if the top is unzipped they typically have nothing. Not sure there is a reason behind it. :shrugs:

Joe Rodriguez
05-28-2013, 02:29 PM
^
they have a team at the ready to yank those leather off of them to sit on a fan...there is a couple of CMRA guys that ive seen going commando under theirs too...

Ben Gooding
05-28-2013, 05:08 PM
^
they have a team at the ready to yank those leather off of them to sit on a fan...there is a couple of CMRA guys that ive seen going commando under theirs too...

I wasn't certain that you were checking my junk out, but now I know. :shocked:

Becka Harvey
05-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Comando under your leathers is awesome, until you need assistance removing them and you're left with nothing but orange string bikini panties in the Daytona medical center. On the bottom I like the combination of tall socks with Under Armor type shorts. Unless it's cold, then full-legged pants. Up top I like the long sleeve UA compression shirts. I've had the fancy suit liners and don't care for them. It's hard enough to pee in leathers. The suit liner is like adding a big onesie into the mix, making it even harder. Both types have melted on me before, but it was the kind of crashes where you weren't getting away without a scar or two anyway. Last summer I found some Reebok branded stuff on the clearance rack. It's just as comfortable as the UA but the leathers slide easier on and off over it.

David Proler
05-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Academy?

Tony Ugoh
04-13-2014, 08:31 PM
I wear UA compression top and bottom, and they didn't melt in my last crash. I did however have some pretty good rug burns on my elbows and holes in my liner.

Matt Michaels
04-18-2014, 02:30 PM
I wear store brand long sleeved and full length legging compression suite from Wal Mart. It works well, and keeps my leathers from sticking when I sweat. I was dragged down the track with my foot penned under the bike wearing it. B/C the way I was sliding it forced my shoulder into the pavement. It melted a hole in the compression top about the size of a silver dollar, but was no worse then a carpet burn. Not bad considering you can buy both a top and bottom for less then $30.

dean webster
04-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Moto-D undersuit. $69. Works a treat.

I also tried the CG heat out. It is rubbish. It's like wearing a wet suit, plus it's a velcro magnet.

David Proler
04-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Academy has some in their house brand which are fairly inexpensive. They're always out of the UA brand when I go there.

Brandon Orr
04-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Wear at least underwear, noting like zipping up without any protection.

David Proler
04-18-2014, 04:16 PM
Wear at least underwear, noting like zipping up without any protection.

It wouldn't surprise me if you have tried going commando.

Josh Henke
04-18-2014, 10:57 PM
Academy has some in their house brand which are fairly inexpensive. They're always out of the UA brand when I go there.
Try the men's section, away from the sports "bros"

Steve McNamara
04-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Will Guthrie wears baby oil and nothing else!!!

Danny Dominguez
04-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Will Guthrie wears baby oil and nothing else!!! welllllll i wont be sleeping now!!!! thanx

David Proler
04-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Will Guthrie wears baby oil and nothing else!!!

That explains a lot. "Twerk & Gay" all day!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/19/pypy3ebu.jpg

William Guthrie
04-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Not true, that and I use the LSTD shirt as a loin cloth.

Kasey Lewis
04-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Not true, that and I use the LSTD shirt as a loin cloth.

Bad.....mental.....picture......mother of god

David Proler
04-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Is that the same shirt that you were wiping down Keith's bike with?

William Guthrie
04-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Is that the same shirt that you were wiping down Keith's bike with?

No but he did buy my old leathers, maybe he found the picture of Tom in the front pocket facing the chest. I miss it so.

Kasey Lewis
04-20-2014, 08:43 PM
So very delectable

David Proler
04-20-2014, 08:46 PM
This is what I carry around in my leathers:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/a2emysaz.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/21/u3u3asat.jpg

William Guthrie
04-20-2014, 08:47 PM
I just threw up in my mouth

Kasey Lewis
04-20-2014, 08:47 PM
I think a lot of people did....sorry all.

Kasey Lewis
04-20-2014, 08:48 PM
What has been seen.....can not be unseen. Fair warning.

David Proler
04-20-2014, 08:50 PM
You should make one of these your profile pic. You'll get all of the ladies (something you're probably not used to without money).

David Branyon
04-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Well, it was an interesting thread until it took that ugly turn. Was going to say, I wear whatever t-shirt I have on that day and underwear. Due to the issues Rebecca mentioned, I try to remember to pack something other than string bikini panties for race day. Boxer briefs are preferred. And... never, ever wear orange. Someone might mistake you for a t-sip.

Now, on to poke my eyes out.

Dave Felio
04-20-2014, 10:59 PM
...It's hard enough to pee in leathers. The suit liner is like adding a big onesie into the mix, making it even harder...
Yeah generally it's not a good idea to pee in them if you're gonna try to make them last the whole season.

Keith Jordan
04-21-2014, 06:46 AM
I carry Guthrie's phone inside my leathers. I hold it in place with his LSTD loin cloth.Visualize and enjoy.

Scott Martin
04-21-2014, 01:24 PM
i carry guthrie's phone inside my leathers. I hold it in place with his lstd loin cloth.visualize and enjoy.

unsubscribe

David Hicks
04-21-2014, 01:35 PM
I carry Guthrie's phone inside my leathers. I hold it in place with his LSTD loin cloth.Visualize and enjoy.

... And I just thought you were happy to see me.

David Branyon
04-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Need a new category on the board: "Posts likely to make your eyes bleed"

Staton Shed
04-21-2014, 02:06 PM
No but he did buy my old leathers, maybe he found the picture of Tom in the front pocket facing the chest. I miss it so.

He found it. He moved it from the front pocket (chest area) to a lower custom pocket...at least he said it was a custom pocket. I chose not to investigate or ask further. I think he was going to give you the picture back next time he saw you.

Keith Jordan
04-21-2014, 02:19 PM
... And I just thought you were happy to see me.

Call me.