PDA

View Full Version : New iOS Racing Analysis App

David Proler
06-21-2013, 05:32 PM
CMRA Family,

As I recently moved from Prov Nov to Novice status, I am throwing around the possibility of writing and publishing an iOS app that could potentially pull in your racing stats and historical data.

For me, I think this would be very useful to see real-time data analysis of my racing data as it compares to my previous times at a particular track or another racer's. My company has been setup on the AppStore since 2009, but I never really put much effort into writing my own apps.

If I spent the time and got this published (with a possible port over to Android-based phones), would this be something that you would pay $5 or $10 for? I have a full-time job already, but I really think this could really have some value. I just want to see how interested you would be before I decide to move forward and getting my developer involved. Thank you!

David Proler
CMRA #454

Kasey Lewis
06-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Well, race monitor is $5 I think, the forum app was $5.....and I spent $450 on tires at NOLA, so yeah, I could do $10 or $20 on an app that gives me that info. Of course I may be one of the few that actually tracks that stuff real time......

David Proler
06-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks. It could essentially do everything you can do in Excel, but on the fly with the current track data. Imagine being able to compare with your times from the last race or on a different bike with percentages. Just an idea for now.

Kasey Lewis
06-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks. It could essentially do everything you can do in Excel, but on the fly with the current track data. Imagine being able to compare with your times from the last race or on a different bike with percentages. Just an idea for now.

It's a good one!

Casey Brown
06-22-2013, 09:01 AM
this would be awesome!!!

easily worth $5

Brian Millsap
06-22-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm an iPhone guy but I don't buy apps. I'd buy this one. I'm kinda a statistical guy. I love all the data collected by my GPX. Having a racer, someone who knows the sport, design an app would be awesome. Keep us updated.

Joe Rodriguez
06-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Id be in .....

Zach Bolena
06-25-2013, 10:29 PM
CMRA Family,

As I recently moved from Prov Nov to Novice status, I am throwing around the possibility of writing and publishing an iOS app that could potentially pull in your racing stats and historical data.

For me, I think this would be very useful to see real-time data analysis of my racing data as it compares to my previous times at a particular track or another racer's. My company has been setup on the AppStore since 2009, but I never really put much effort into writing my own apps.

If I spent the time and got this published (with a possible port over to Android-based phones), would this be something that you would pay $5 or $10 for? I have a full-time job already, but I really think this could really have some value. I just want to see how interested you would be before I decide to move forward and getting my developer involved. Thank you!

David Proler
CMRA #454

Let me know if you need any UI Design help, it's what I do for a living;)

-Zach

David Branyon
06-28-2013, 03:21 PM
As long as it would go back to 2000, find the printouts of laptimes and finishing positions, scan them in, and store that also. ;-)

David Proler
06-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Zach, as far as the UI is concerned, I might just take you up on that.

David, I'd have to get this data from the CMRA web site and import it as Race Monitor only seems to back 3 months or so (or maybe just the current season). I have meetings next week to see what it will take to develop this. From a programming standpoint I don't think it will be that difficult. I also don't know what (if any) fees are associated with tapping into the API.

Thanks for your interest. I'd like to see this become a reality before the season is over.

Thanks,
David

William Guthrie
06-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Race Monitor is a relay of MYLaps or rather AMB. Looks like they're cornering that ability though you can embed the data via URL.

David Proler
06-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks, Guth. We can tackle those items when we meet with Jim next week. You should have received a calendar invitation.