PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Young and the Mosquito

Nancy Selleck
06-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Apparently a mosquito got the better of Brandon Young at NOLA and he wanted me to let everyone know in case they experienced any of the symptoms. His message:

Well, I'm in the hospital with Meningitis that I got from a mosquito bite that I got at NOLA. The Center for Disease Control has me in a room 24 hours straight being monitored and I'm very sick! It's an infection in the brain. I figured you might want to let people know if they get headaches that won't go away to get to the hospital cause it might kill you.

Additional info from Ty:

It's pretty serious. Luckily they caught it early enough with him. He said the earliest he will get out of the hospital is next Monday. He had a severe migraine for 2 days and then his fever went real high and he started vomiting repeatedly.

Jennifer Millsap
06-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Saw something about this on facebook too. Hope you feel better soon Brandon.

Kasey Lewis
06-23-2013, 04:23 PM
There are days I'm glad I go to the doctor for every little thing! Hope all goes well.

Becka Harvey
06-23-2013, 07:39 PM
And they say racing motorcycles is dangerous. Feel better.

Bill Klindworth
06-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Dang that's bad....really bad !!!

Hope you get well quickly Brandon !

Altho many people have told me my "brain is sick" I don't think I got what you did :)

Brandon Young
06-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks everyone for all the calls and concerns over the week and weekend. I'm out of the hospital and feeling much better!! That wasn't one of my better memories of a race weekend for sure, talk about a bad race getting worse!

I went to the hospital because I had a 2 day migraine that no matter what I did or took for it, would not go away! Then a heavy fever came on and started vomiting, this was about 5 am so it was time to get to the ER. Once I was there they rushed me back, INSTANTLY put a mask on me and everyone around me. At that point I was like " guys its a migraine, chill out " but they said that I may have meningitis. So they did a SPINAL TAP... ouch ... on me and confirmed that I did have Meningitis but was unsure if it was bacterial or viral and wouldn't know for 72 hours.

The Center for Infectious Disease Control put me in a room and loaded me with a lot of antibiotics. They were treating it like bacterial meningitis which can be fatal in as little as 48 hour even with treatment! It was kinda weird because all the Dr. and visitors had to wear masks. Well luckily my results came back as Viral Meningitis which is bad and painful but not life-threatening. This is how they determined it was due to a mosquito because apparently bits of the westnile virus will cause viral meningitis.

Anyways I'm out now and feeling much better as I went back to work today and feeling more like myself. Thanks everyone for the concerns and i'll see everyone at Cresson

Brandon

William Guthrie
06-24-2013, 02:50 PM
:shock: Glad you're back up and getting around, sounds awful.

Jim Dugger
06-24-2013, 03:05 PM
So I end up getting kinda hammered at a friends house Saturday night, and low and behold, have a crushing headache and, get this, vomit. My wife sees this post and dang near rushes me to the ER for a hangover!

I get did within .1 sec of my personal best at Cresson on Sunday, though! LOL.

You'd think at 38 I'd have learned by now. Sigh.

Allen Dye
06-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Not a chance Jim...I've got dang near 10 years on you. You're as grown up as you're going to get!

Brandon: I'm glad you're better man. That's bad stuff. I was just watching contagion the other night...

Andy Galindo
06-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Holy Cow. Glad you're out and that you checked yourself in! man o man...

marcus mcbain
06-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Wow! Unbelievable! I am glad Brandon got to the Hospital in a timely manner.

Bill Klindworth
06-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Glad to hear you've recovered Brandon !

Greg Gilstrap
06-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Wow, that is a crazy situation, glad to hear that it's all on the recovery now!

With this news, did anyone contact the NOLA facility, and ask what they can do about fogging/spraying at the track, to reduce this risk again in the future?

Jim Dugger
06-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Dood, it's Nawlins. Fighting mosquitoes is like complaining about the smell!

Get well my man...

Mitch Williams
06-24-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm glad you're better. That's pretty scary.

Linz Leard
06-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Get 'mo betta soon, Brandon!

http://racer997.smugmug.com/photos/i-tKftLfP/0/X2/i-tKftLfP-X2.jpg

Heinz Roy
06-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Glad you are better!

Eric Falt
06-25-2013, 02:24 PM
I must admit, those dive bombers ( I could feel them land on me!) were terrible. Glad your back Brandon!!!

Kalanie Gastineau
06-27-2013, 05:09 PM
That's crazy
Glad you were able to heal from it :)

Mark Sneed
07-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Yeah.. I think Mosquitos are the state bird in Louisiana.. I sprayed, wore a little device that has a fan with repellent, and I watched those things just land on me like it was no big deal. I live in a heavily wooded acre lot in Grapevine next to a creek and spitting distance of the lake and there are lots of mosquitos but these things in NOLA were relentless. Glad you are on your way to recovery. My daughter was very sick recently and had to rush her to the ER for similar symptoms.. they thought Appendix. but not the case.. now making me wonder if she got bit. I will be extra vigilant about mosquito protection her and I going forward - thanks for alerting us to the situation and again hope recovery continues to go well.

Regards,
Mark

Olay Bayramoglu
07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Yeah, they were pretty bad at the pits in the evening. Drank a little crown and their aim seemed to get worse.

Sean Gurevich
07-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Covered head-to-toe in fur does have its perks.
Well, not the very top of the head, that's just peach fuzz.