PDA

View Full Version : GPS Lap Timer Recommendation Wanted

Thomas Eimermacher
06-23-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm in the market for a GPS-based lap timer, and have been looking at the XT Racing GPX Pro, Qstarz LT-Q6000, and the AiM Solo. I'm interested in hearing some recommendations or feedback from those of you with first-hand experience with these or similar GPS-based units.

Bill Klindworth
06-23-2013, 10:38 PM
I would like to see someone make a simple GPS lap timer kinda like a "GPS XT Ultra Lap" for a couple hundred bucks

Jim Dugger
06-24-2013, 07:30 AM
I have the Starlane GPS-2, and our endurance bike has the GPS-3. In general, I'm happy with it. It's $450, so a little less than the XT, and it's a LOT smaller.

If you get serious about the Qstar or the AIM, make sure you get some reports from expert-level racers that have them. What you are paying for in one of these units, in addition to the 10Hz GPS sampling, are the algorithms necessary to turn data that's only accurate to about 10 feet being sampled while you are traveling at 175+ feet-per-second, and getting from that data an aggregate that's just a few inches off where you actually were on track!

The Starlane has a noticeable calculation delay, for example, when you cross S/F. It takes it a few more samples to accurately calculate your actual laptime.

The cheaper units I've seen use the data points from the GPS chipset as literals, and that's just... wrong.

David Baumgarten
06-24-2013, 08:52 AM
I have a GPS based lap timer. I mainly purchased it because I could not see my lap times unless I went and got the printout at the end of the race weekend. With the race monitor app working half decent, I can see my Friday practice laps and everything else I do throughout the weekend.

It's cool to be able to see your lap split differences on the track but unless you have some real data to go along side it, your just entertaining yourself and dreaming of your perfect lap. Just my .02

Michael De Simone
06-24-2013, 09:38 AM
I have the XT GPX Pro 4 on Daisy's bike. She has been very happy with it. It provides a wealth of information beyond simple lap times. I have it wired directly into her harness for power and a few other readings. IMO, it is worth the extra money. The guy that has your bike now works with them a bunch and can fab up a cool mounting bracket to boot. They are worth the extra money. There are a couple dealers here that can get you a screaming deal on one too.

And with another $40 piece of software and your video you can do really cool stuff like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDtPFgrFLoQ

Kasey Lewis
06-24-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm just gonna tape my iPhone to the cluster for lap times......

Tom Anderson
06-24-2013, 10:28 AM
I've had sporadic issues with my Starlane and the company is out of Italy. They have support here (New York) but the technical information reads like a poor translation ('cause it is).

Their support has been ok but the issues I have/ had are/ were that the automatic start/ finish line detect and the timer freezes while processing. When it works, it works fantastic and the information is spot-on. Analysis software is only available for PC (no Mac) and is is a bit of a chore to interpret unless you are a big time computer whiz (which I'm not).

For the money it's a very good timer. The AIM GPXPro is the direct competitor for the Starlane and it has a few things that the Starlane lacks.

The GPX has the ability to have more inputs (throttle, brake pressure, suspension travel, etc) and the analyzation software is WAY easier to use and interpret by comparison.
The drawback is that it is sometimes unreliable too. I have some friends that have had no problems with it at all, and I've had others that have had nothing but problems with theirs.

David Proler
06-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Optrix VideoPro

http://youtu.be/4QQZG8jgwso

Brian Millsap
06-24-2013, 06:32 PM
+1 on the GPX. I have to older unit with the internal antenna and I LOVE it. I pull TPS, Brake ON/OFF, ECT, ambient temp, RPM and speed. Gear position is calculated by speed and RPM. I've had some minor issues but nothing really too bad. Their tech support is awesome. The unit is dead nuts on too. My times on the unit are usually within a few hundredths of what the official times are.

Thomas Eimermacher
06-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Brian, how hard is it to wire the GPX?

Michael De Simone
06-24-2013, 09:06 PM

It's easy for Brian. He helped me with mine.

Kasey Lewis
06-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Real easy.....just have Brian do it!

David Hicks
06-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Check out the QSTARZ LT-6000. Has worked well for me and relatively inexpensive at roughly $300.

www.qstarz.com

Brady Ipock
06-25-2013, 02:07 PM
I have the AiM Solo DL and I love it--about $700. The lap timer part is simple and it automatically recognizes almost all the tracks. It also wires into your ECU (not too difficult) and gives a lot of data from your bike. It also comes with software to download and analyze your laps. The software is somewhat complicated, but well worth the effort. I have learned a lot about my riding from it.

Joe Rodriguez
06-26-2013, 06:07 PM
XT RACING GPX for me, i have not used or even seen the others, i have the first gen.
i like the splits for the simple reason that when you're turning laps at trackdays you can see on the screen where you're at, at each split.
once you look at the actual map and note what time you want to be at per split, you will have a good idea how that lap time is gonna turn out.
while i don't analyze all the data it collects,TP ,brakes ,engine temps and rpms, sometimes they do help when you compare a few sessions.
i couldnt believe how many places i thought i was WFO , turns out i was not....
wiring is not hard but it is time consuming on some bike worse on others...

Dean Dufrene
06-26-2013, 07:49 PM
GPX, it's wireless unless you want to hard wire it. And you can add the sensors if you want to. pm me for more info

Brian Millsap
06-26-2013, 09:36 PM

It's easy for Brian. He helped me with mine.

Real easy.....just have Brian do it!

There's your answer. lol

Seriously though, the degree of difficulty depends on your ability and what data you want to collect. Just tap into your harness and set up your inputs. If you're gonna be at Cresson, come find me. We'll talk about it.

i couldnt believe how many places i thought i was WFO , turns out i was not....
I have NO idea what you're talking about....:Whatever:

GPX, it's wireless unless you want to hard wire it. And you can add the sensors if you want to. pm me for more info

The GSP/Speed is wireless. At least the older units are. The newer units have an external antenna that has to be attached. Unless you wire it into the bike, all you can get is speed via GPS and Gs via the accelerometer.

Mike Ortiz
06-26-2013, 10:08 PM

Thomas Eimermacher
06-27-2013, 02:21 PM
If you're gonna be at Cresson, come find me. We'll talk about it.
Will do, Brian.

Kevin Randall
06-27-2013, 02:23 PM
I just picked up a basic lap timer (no gps) from svracingparts.com It stores 64 laps, shows fastest, slowest, average and total time. It only cost $50, has a long (4 foot maybe) lead to the external receiver eye and even came with the transmitter that takes AA batteries! It works great and not too fancy. BUT! I did stumble across something else...the Pirelli Diablo Superbiker App for Iphone and Android, it's free and uses the phones gps to track you, you select track or street and will count your laps (if in track mode) show times, distance, speed and even lean angle! I don't know how accurate the lean angle is using the phones accelerometer but I tested it in my car with the cruise set and the speed is accurate! It even shows exactly where you rode on a google satellite image and that is fairly accurate as well!

Michael De Simone
06-27-2013, 02:45 PM
I tried the Pirelli Diablo Superbiker App a while back. Not so accurate. I don't think the sampling rate is high enough - and I am slow.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z452/mdesimone/mobileapp_zps9a1d3072.png

Thomas Eimermacher
06-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info, Kevin. I bought the $50 lap timer that you're describing last year, and its performance was very hit-or-miss. Sometimes it worked just fine, other times I couldn't get it to time a single lap. Since I prefer to have a dedicated unit (rather than using a phone app), I upgraded to the XT Racing Ultra-Lap Timer, which has been much more reliable and generally works well. At this point I feel that I would benefit from a GPS-based unit that also functions as a data logger.

Jim Dugger
06-27-2013, 02:50 PM
I tried the Pirelli Diablo Superbiker App a while back. Not so accurate. I don't think the sampling rate is high enough - and I am slow.

It's more than *just* sampling rate. Even at 10hz sampling, which is the fastest I know of, you are combining the typical 10ft or so of GPS accuracy with travel speed of 88 feet per second at 60MPH. So, even at 10Hz, your individual samples are only accurate to about 15-20 feet, or more than half the track width at Cresson.

The magic in these devices is in the software that processes the raw sample data, either on the device itself, or on your PC/Phone after the fact. Without that, as you illustrate wonderfully above, it's junk.

Thomas Eimermacher
06-27-2013, 02:51 PM

Those are some interesting lines... :burnout:

Jim Dugger
06-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Those are some interesting lines... :burnout:

He's getting out of Daisy's way!

Michael De Simone
06-27-2013, 03:01 PM
He's getting out of Daisy's way!

I'm not even a speed bump to her any more.

Sean Gurevich
06-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Using the overlay feature to compare Mike's laps vs my own, I found plenty of areas where I'm losing time.

http://seanzie.com/blah/overlay.png

Michael De Simone
06-27-2013, 03:47 PM
ROFL

How did your garage sale go? :D <3

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z452/mdesimone/grrrrage_zps39a905e6.png

Jim Dugger
06-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Kilroy was riding...

Heinz Roy
06-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Using the overlay feature to compare Mike's laps vs my own, I found plenty of areas where I'm losing time.

Meanwhile, back in the paddock, Sean, with his two pieces of chocolate cake, downs a fifth of scotch.

Brian Millsap
06-27-2013, 09:35 PM

ROFL

How did your garage sale go? :D <3

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z452/mdesimone/grrrrage_zps39a905e6.png

You guys are killin' me here!!! lol

Michael De Simone
06-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Glad that we can amuse you Brian :D

Back to being serious ... I said all that good stuff about the GPX pro and Daisy's took a crap today. It seems to have lost all tracks and is throwing an error. I sent some stuff off to the support folks at XT and we'll see what they come back with. Traditionally they have been very quick and very good.

William Guthrie
06-27-2013, 11:12 PM
I didn't like the GPX. It collected all the data you need but the PC UI didn't allow you to analyze it in a way that is useful. Unless it has changed the AIM is the best. I don't have any experience with any of the others mentioned.

David Proler
06-27-2013, 11:39 PM

It's not accurate at all.

Zach Bolena
06-28-2013, 03:52 PM

LOL! Looks like you could easily make up a tenth here and there;)

Kasey Lewis
06-29-2013, 06:29 AM

Now that's funny right there!

John Redford
06-29-2013, 07:39 AM
37 post in I am still confused as to what a good, modreately priced system is. Help! :lol:

Brian Millsap
06-29-2013, 08:03 AM
37 post in I am still confused as to what a good, modreately priced system is. Help! :lol:

Define "good" and "moderately priced".

Kasey Lewis
06-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Define "good" and "moderately priced".

Works reliably with accurate lap times, around $300. That's what I got from the previous posts.

Tom Anderson
06-30-2013, 07:58 AM
The Starlane is the least expensive and works.

Mitchell Thelen
07-03-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm just gonna tape my iPhone to the cluster for lap times......

That's what I do at this point. I used velcro to attach it. I am only interested in laptime data at this point and I always confirm the laps with gopro video before claiming them, that being said they the phone has never lied. Harry's Laptimer Pro, 18 bucks for the iphone app. That app has a ton of potential but i would have to mount the phone differently to take advantage of it. I'd suggest it to a friend for sure

Kasey Lewis
07-03-2013, 09:18 PM
That's what I do at this point. I used velcro to attach it. I am only interested in laptime data at this point and I always confirm the laps with gopro video before claiming them, that being said they the phone has never lied. Harry's Laptimer Pro, 18 bucks for the iphone app. That app has a ton of potential but i would have to mount the phone differently to take advantage of it. I'd suggest it to a friend for sure

I've tried Harry's with limited success. The pre loaded tracks are iffy. If they could sort it out, it would be nice.

David Proler
07-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Optrix. VideoPro is Harry's customized for track use. Come by if you want to see the case that's mounted on my tank. Awesome.