PDA

View Full Version : CMRA at Barber/AMA

marcus mcbain
06-24-2013, 07:31 PM
It was a very demanding trip for most of the CMRA racers that went to Barber. From what I witnessed, our guys did a great job of overcoming what generally occurs during a National and still succeeding. I think most (including us) would have liked to have a "do over" to some degree on some items, but overall I was really proud of Danny as well as the rest of the CMRA racers!

Danny Dominguez
06-25-2013, 12:12 PM
WOW!! That must have been very demanding on you!!! only a 3 line msg,not your usual war and peace novel!...I keeeed I keeed!!! Good job by you and Danny..and yes the other CMRA racers that were there did AWESOME.....

Josh Henke
06-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Got to follow the race through AMA's phone app. Watched the race last night. Great job, guys! Noticed the pic they used for Danny K... was not Danny.

Ashley C Peterson
06-25-2013, 09:54 PM
​What Danny said .....

Danny McCraw
06-26-2013, 07:17 AM
still waiting on the story, this trailer isn't going to cut it.

marcus mcbain
06-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Our press release is at: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/more-from-the-triumph-superbike-classicama-pro-road-races-at-barber/ or you can go to our facebook page: www.facebook.com/rpsraceteam (http://www.facebook.com/rpsraceteam)

I am still tired from the weekend. We have some extra help coming in for Mid-Ohio and that should make the weekend much more better! J

It would be nice if Garet, Mark Windham, Conner, Ryan Max, or some of the other CMRA riders shared some of their weekend.

Marcus

marcus mcbain
06-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Also forgot...Eric Williams!

Mitch Williams
06-27-2013, 03:11 AM
Eric and I were there to support Team Locomotion. We'll be riding next season.

Great to see all the CMRA people there.

Steve McNamara
06-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Wow, 5 LSTD sponsored riders at an AMA National. Great job Danny, Conner, Garet, Mark and Ryan!!!!

I'm proud of all your results.

Mark Windham
06-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks everybody... I tried hard not to make a winded race report but just couldn't shut up!

Here's a copy/paste of my post from Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/LocomotionRacing)

LocoMotion AMA Barber Race Report by Mark Windham

Well, it’s been a few days since Ryan and I returned from Barber and I think we’re just now starting to recover from the busy weekends at NOLA & Barber, and the long drive home.

The biggest thing that stands out from last weekend is how thankful we are that we had such a solid crew there to support us. We’re a privateer team on a very limited budget and were extremely lucky to have received assistance from Mitch Williams (Crew Chief), Eric Williams (future AMA rockstar), Keith Hertell/Road & Track Suspension (Chassis Whisperer), Kevin Nolde (and son), our wives (who went WAY above and beyond all weekend), my awesome Mom and Ryan’s cool Dad.

In addition to normal duties such as tire swaps, fueling & pre-race grid assistance, the crew dealt with multiple unexpected issues such as a bent rotor, bad rectifier, inefficient radiator, bad water pump, and a crapped out steering damper.

The AMA schedule is fairly spread out compared to a club race weekend but we learned that it’s definitely not more laid back. If the crew hadn’t been there working with such competence and allowing Ryan & I to focus on racing and fan activities, I’m certain we would have missed a race and/or performed poorly.

The Races:

Saturday:

We started off the day with a decision to watch the lights go out on the DSB race in order to learn the cadence of the starter, which turned out to be a bad idea. The starting cadence varied all weekend and led to more 5-second and ride-through penalties than we’ve ever seen.

The DSB race started with a very quick cadence so Ryan “grossly-anticipated” the lights when our Supersport Race 1 began and managed to earn a ride-through penalty. Despite the ride-through, Ryan still managed to carve through the pack and finish 23rd out of a packed 41 rider grid.

My race started off well and I was running somewhere around 23rd when my rectifier/battery decided to call it quits mid-race and leave me stranded between T3 & T4. DNF in my first pro race… but at least it wasn’t a crash.

Sunday:

Ryan’s bike received a bit of an overhaul Sun. morning (busy crew!) and Keith made a change to my geometry that helped to alleviate some issues I was having with change of direction. Race 2 started off fine for Ryan and I was the one that anticipated the lights and jumped the start. Fortunately I penalized myself enough by letting my row go past that I didn’t receive an official penalty. I was riding somewhere around 22nd place with Ryan a couple of spots ahead when he decided to take a closer look at the run-off area in Charlotte’s Web during a passing attempt. Fortunately he stayed upright and then had to work his way past slower racers over the course of the race, including me… We both put our heads down for the rest of the race and eventually finished 20th (Ryan) and 23rd (Me) with our best lap times of the weekend.

We entered the weekend with a goal of having fun, learning the ropes, and finishing the races as well as possible. Mission accomplished…

Congratulations to our fellow CMRA racers on their weekend as well. It’s always good to see familiar faces at the track…

We’d like to thank:
- Crew & family
- Kevin, Jill & family for putting up with us at your house and for the incredible Boudain
- Armour Bodies, Bazzaz, Chicken Hawk, Dunlop, Factory Effex, FMF, Full Spectrum Power, Galfer, Leatt, Lone Star Track Days, Motion Pro, Nexx Helmets, Pilot Leathers, PitBull, Road & Track Suspension, Sidi, Silkolene, Totally Graphic Designs (awesome paint job!), Vortex Racing, Woodcraft, XT Racing & 212 Decals.
- Jim Cambora for being a friend and helping us out with some storage space
- The Barber Motorsports Park and AMA crews for putting on such a great show and making us feel very welcome.

Next up:
Miller Motorsports Park (Utah) with WERA: July 27 & 28
Miller Motorsports Park (Utah) with AMA: August 3 & 4

Back Row: Cheryl Johnson, Kent Johnson, Kevin Nolde, Eric Williams, Mitch Williams, Keith Hertell, Manuela Windham
Front Row: Two ugly guys
http://www.racelocomotion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/IMG_6511_resize.jpg

Jennifer Millsap
06-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Great write up. Thanks for doing that. It was really exciting watching live timing and the races and seeing names you recognize. Congrats to all!

Josh Henke
06-28-2013, 08:57 AM
You're legit pro now and look the part! No wonder I didn't recognize you guys in the video coverage of the race! Thanks for posting the synopsis.

Ryan Max Johnson
06-28-2013, 08:57 AM
It can't be emphasized enough how awesome our crew was. Mitch Williams was such a good Crew Chief that Graves came over to try to steal him(not really, but if they were smart, they would have).

Heinz Roy
06-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Mitch Williams was such a good Crew Chief that Graves came over to try to steal him...

They must have needed the rig washed. :nana:

Congrats all on such a good showing at Barber!:thumb:

Mitch Williams
06-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Mitch Williams was such a good Crew Chief that Graves came over to try to steal him

What Ryan meant to say is that I got caught stealing from the Graves truck. The exhaust can I need to fix Eric's bike is on back order.

Heinz Roy
06-28-2013, 05:26 PM
What Ryan meant to say is that I got caught stealing from the Graves truck. The exhaust can I need to fix Eric's bike is on back order.

Ahhhh now, that makes sense!

:rofl:

Becka Harvey
06-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Ron Mears is another one of our CMRA family that made the trip (and the grid) to Barber last weekend. I believe he finished 19th and 20th in his races.
Congrats to everyone who attended. It's neat to be able to race with such a well represented club!

Jim Doyle
06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Ron Mears is another one of our CMRA family that made the trip (and the grid) to Barber last weekend. I believe he finished 19th and 20th in his races.
Congrats to everyone who attended. It's neat to be able to race with such a well represented club!
Ron was as high as 17th in DSB Race 2.

Ron and Tornado Bait Racing is on to Mid Ohio next...